Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedonism Bot
Feb 15, 2005
Jumby, the chocolate icing!
Back in September the CV joint on the passenger drive shaft failed in my 99 V70XC. I went and bought the cheapest replacement axle on Rock Auto I could find (an Olympus.. I should have known better). Well that was a mistake. 6,000 miles later and it is giving bad steering feedback and making awful noises at full steering lock when maneuvering in parking lots. I believe the CV joint is on its way out again.

Short of it is that I still have the old OE half shaft and I need to find a reputable shop in the Northern Virginia area to rebuild it. From what the internets have told me that is the best route to go. I live in the Manassas area and would prefer a local shop if anyone knows of one that can do it. As there is no need to make the same mistake again I'm willing to pay for quality work and a reasonable warranty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
If I ever get rich, I'm paying Compomotive to make me some wheels.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
Are those Sonett wheels?

:frogout:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

zundfolge posted:

Are those Sonett wheels?

:frogout:

they're 99 wheels. I like the design on the 4-bolt ones better.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Is there anything in particular to look out for on S60Rs?

I'm looking at this one in particular: http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=403635818&Log=0

Miles are low, looks nice, and has a manual + AWD.
I'd be driving out from KS to buy it.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

With low mileage, not really, but they are spendy cars overall. Gimme a sec to look up what I've posted previously about them...

This was a followup to a post someone made referencing that I recommend setting aside $2000 a year for repairs on an S60/V70R:

LloydDobler posted:

The kicker is that at the end of the year you can't spend the $2000. At the end of year 2 you'll have angle gear failure and also need a PCV and Timing belt, so the entire $4000 will still hit you.

Keep in mind that USED headlights for that car are $500. New they're over $800. Shocks are $250 each although guys are figuring out ways to bypass the CEL you get if you use aftermarket. The radiator is only $300 but shops mark it up to $500 and then charge $300 to put it in. And the end tanks are made of plastic, and the main mounting point for the entire condenser, intercooler, radiator and fan are molded in to them. Look at it wrong and they crack, necessitating replacement.

Still an incredibly rewarding car to drive, the AWD is glued to the road, 300HP is a lot of fun, the seats hug you like your momma used to, and the stock 11 speaker sound system is to die for (8" woofers in the rear deck, mmm). If you find a wagon with a factory 12" subwoofer it's even better.

There are a lot of $1500 parts that fail with regularity on these cars, 300HP just pushed some of the components a little too hard I think.

With the mileage of that car I don't think you'll have to worry about it for a while, but there will come a point around 90k miles where you'll have to dump $2k per year into it for 2-3 years. Then it'll go another 5-7 years with no problems. Don't let me scare you, if some maintenance isn't daunting then go for it. If money's tight however, do not expect this to run for years with minimal maintenance like a Honda or an older Volvo.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Jul 1, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

With low mileage, not really, but they are spendy cars overall. Gimme a sec to look up what I've posted previously about them...

This was a followup to a post someone made referencing that I recommend setting aside $2000 a year for repairs on an S60/V70R:

There are a lot of $1500 parts that fail with regularity on these cars, 300HP just pushed some of the components a little too hard I think.

With the mileage of that car I don't think you'll have to worry about it for a while, but there will come a point around 90k miles where you'll have to dump $2k per year into it for 2-3 years. Then it'll go another 5-7 years with no problems. Don't let me scare you, if some maintenance isn't daunting then go for it. If money's tight however, do not expect this to run for years with minimal maintenance like a Honda or an older Volvo.

Maintenance doesn't scare me too much.
I'm used to spending about 12-2500/year on maintenance from having a 02 WRX from 75-150k miles.

She died, and i'm looking for a replacement. Currently driving a POS 02 Altima, and wanting that nice I'm-in-my-mid-30s mix of speed AND class. :D

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The P2 Volvos are absolutely speed and class. They are seriously comfortable and decently stylish with good fit and finish.

That car is 9 miles from my house, want me to go check it out?

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jul 1, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

The P2 Volvos are absolutely speed and class. They are seriously comfortable and decently stylish with good fit and finish.

That car is 9 miles from my house, want me to go check it out?

If you did I would love you forever. (And buy you a beer/dinner if i come out there to buy it).

I already have a pre-approval request running with my credit union. :D

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

I know the miles are low and it looks clean, but I feel like you could get more bang for your buck with private party. Unless the market has changed significantly since I stopped looking.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

angryrobots posted:

I know the miles are low and it looks clean, but I feel like you could get more bang for your buck with private party. Unless the market has changed significantly since I stopped looking.

There is one nearby (in Kansas) with more miles, slushbox, and 5k cheaper, but eww, slushbox.

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2007-Volvo-S60-R-t27075#listing=114232253

Doing some sniffing around on the internets. That price is about $2000ish above market, but I think part of it is a 5MT premium and low miles.

"research": http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-2007-Volvo-S60-R-t27075

Autotrader

Cars.com - all further away and higher miles.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 1, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

toplitzin posted:

If you did I would love you forever. (And buy you a beer/dinner if i come out there to buy it).

I already have a pre-approval request running with my credit union. :D

Alright, I should have done it last night but I forgot I offered! hehe. I won't be able to get there until after they close but if it's parked outside I can look it over for cosmetics and leaks. If it appears perfect I have time in the morning to go check it out.

And it's a 6MT, come on man do your research!

edit - they say their showroom is all indoor, so I'll go in the morning, I have tomorrow off work.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 2, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Alright, I should have done it last night but I forgot I offered! hehe. I won't be able to get there until after they close but if it's parked outside I can look it over for cosmetics and leaks. If it appears perfect I have time in the morning to go check it out.

And it's a 6MT, come on man do your research!

edit - they say their showroom is all indoor, so I'll go in the morning, I have tomorrow off work.

Shhhhh, i got my cylinders and gears swapped. :P

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Toplitzin if you're reading you should probably give me a call. I'll PM you my number.

I looked at the car and it's mint. If it's what you want you should probably place a deposit. More detail in a minute.

The big indicator that it's been well cared for is the driver's seat, it shows almost no wear at all.

Two of the wheels were perfect, two had mild curbing. Here's one:

Here's the other: They said they could get them redone if you wanted, they were the ones who had them powdercoated for the original owner.

Looks like the owner had a baby seat in the back, but maybe not. This might be seatbelt damage from having the rear seats folded down or something. Anyway, it's the only real damage on an otherwise perfect interior, on the rear seat bench.

Here's one scratch about 3/8" long on the front bumper

Here's a couple rock chips on the center of the bumper above the grille.

Rear brake pads showing minimal wear (the pads for the brembo brakes start out pretty thin).

No major leaks underneath, he said he will put it up on the lift and take pics if you want. There were also no drips under where it was parked, so the angle gear is probably fine at this point.

some weird antenna for a GPS or satellite radio, they weren't done detailing so it has some wax on it.

Center console is nearly perfect, which is rare for these cars. They scratch easily.

So yeah it's very nice, he knows the owner and actually located the car for him when it had 20k or so on it. He has 100% dealer maintenance records as well.

LloydDobler fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 3, 2015

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Toplitzin if you're reading you should probably give me a call. I'll PM you my number.

I looked at the car and it's mint. If it's what you want you should probably place a deposit. More detail in a minute.

The big indicator that it's been well cared for is the driver's seat, it shows almost no wear at all.

Two of the wheels were perfect, two had mild curbing. Here's one:

Here's the other: They said they could get them redone if you wanted, they were the ones who had them powdercoated for the original owner.

Looks like the owner had a baby seat in the back, but maybe not. This might be seatbelt damage from having the rear seats folded down or something. Anyway, it's the only real damage on an otherwise perfect interior, on the rear seat bench.

Here's one scratch about 3/8" long on the front bumper

Here's a couple rock chips on the center of the bumper above the grille.

Rear brake pads showing minimal wear (the pads for the brembo brakes start out pretty thin).

No major leaks underneath, he said he will put it up on the lift and take pics if you want. There were also no drips under where it was parked, so the angle gear is probably fine at this point.

some weird antenna for a GPS or satellite radio, they weren't done detailing so it has some wax on it.

Center console is nearly perfect, which is rare for these cars. They scratch easily.

So yeah it's very nice, he knows the owner and actually located the car for him when it had 20k or so on it. He has 100% dealer maintenance records as well.

sounds like it's time to call and put down a deposit.

Thanks again!

Edit: deposit done.

Gonna get this next Saturday!

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 3, 2015

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Fuckin a. I can make you chase me up a tight mountain road before you go if you want. Just so you know what you're missing in the flatlands. hehe.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
The transmission on my 960 is hosed. RIP.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Fuckin a. I can make you chase me up a tight mountain road before you go if you want. Just so you know what you're missing in the flatlands. hehe.

I stole it out from under they other guy from Michigan by like an hour.

I was planning on finding a fun way home Sunday, probably the scenic route down through Pueblo and back to Wichita.

Edit: Like down Hwy 67 through Pike Natl Forest/by Pikes Peak.

Makes it a 10 hour drive vs 8ish.

Something like this?

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 4, 2015

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Congrats dude!

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

toplitzin posted:

I stole it out from under they other guy from Michigan by like an hour.

I was planning on finding a fun way home Sunday, probably the scenic route down through Pueblo and back to Wichita.

Edit: Like down Hwy 67 through Pike Natl Forest/by Pikes Peak.

Makes it a 10 hour drive vs 8ish.

You can do that but there's a section of 67 that's dirt. You should go west/south up 285 to 126. 126 is amazingly beautiful and eventually intersects with 67 but never goes unpaved. It'd add a half hour or 45 min to your original time. It's also very twisty and is exactly the kind of road I was talking about.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

You can do that but there's a section of 67 that's dirt. You should go west/south up 285 to 126. 126 is amazingly beautiful and eventually intersects with 67 but never goes unpaved. It'd add a half hour or 45 min to your original time. It's also very twisty and is exactly the kind of road I was talking about.

found it:

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Yep. I'll even drive with you up to buffalo creek, then turn east back to Foxton and back home. Foxton road is one I take the Volvo club on for awesome twisty driving.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

LloydDobler posted:

Yep. I'll even drive with you up to buffalo creek, then turn east back to Foxton and back home. Foxton road is one I take the Volvo club on for awesome twisty driving.

You are a good dude Lloyd.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Quick, need some Volvo goon advice...

2006 V70R 96k miles, don't think the trans has ever been flushed.

Found the drain plug underneath, it's a nice easy torx plug (I was expecting this to be much harder given all I had read about it) and I opened up the fill hole under the air box (honestly getting that fucker off was the hardest part). When I opened the drain I only got about 1.5qt of really black trans fluid. I was expecting to get like 4-6qt drained, so 1.5 is a bit concerning...

However, I started filling it up....I've put 4 qt in so far and it still hasn't filled to the top yet. Any ideas on this? Should I keep filling until it's level or is putting in over twice what I took out a better start? I honestly didn't expect to have this kind of issue so I'm a bit stumped on it.

I still have the car up on ramps and I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, so I'll wait for someone to comment while I go dick around with VIDA/DICE for a while.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Oxphocker posted:

Quick, need some Volvo goon advice...

2006 V70R 96k miles, don't think the trans has ever been flushed.

Found the drain plug underneath, it's a nice easy torx plug (I was expecting this to be much harder given all I had read about it) and I opened up the fill hole under the air box (honestly getting that fucker off was the hardest part). When I opened the drain I only got about 1.5qt of really black trans fluid. I was expecting to get like 4-6qt drained, so 1.5 is a bit concerning...

However, I started filling it up....I've put 4 qt in so far and it still hasn't filled to the top yet. Any ideas on this? Should I keep filling until it's level or is putting in over twice what I took out a better start? I honestly didn't expect to have this kind of issue so I'm a bit stumped on it.

I still have the car up on ramps and I don't have to go anywhere tomorrow, so I'll wait for someone to comment while I go dick around with VIDA/DICE for a while.

Did you only remove the smaller inner section of the plug (the torx part) or did you remove it along with the larger hex section that surrounds it? If it was just the former, that might explain why you weren't able to drain much of the fluid.

I've never even laid eyes on one of these transmissions, so take my advice for what it's worth, but everyone online says to drain it, measure the amount that you drain, add that back in, and repeat the process several times. If you only drained a quart and a half of fluid and added 4 quarts, it's probably overfilled now, and trying to fill it "to the top" will only make matters worse, since that's not how the proper fluid level is measured. Instead, there's a tube in the larger, outer plug that allows fluid to drip from the trans if the fluid is at the proper level and temperature. If you didn't take the large drain plug out, I'd do that, drain everything out, put it back in, and start by adding 4 quarts of fluid. Then you can follow the procedure from VIDA (the car needs to be level for this to work):

I read that you can use an IR thermometer pointed at the transmission sump to monitor the fluid temp if you don't have VIDA.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Everything is coming into place.

I am so excite for Saturday.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 8, 2015

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
My `92 240 was stolen, and the stereo was ripped out. In the process my low beams were broken. I can pull the lever for brights but it wont stay clicked on. Changed out every fuse, helped some things but not headlights. Relay under the hood is good. What should I look at next?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Did they mangle the column to steal it? I'd focus there.

shadowzero313
Feb 6, 2009
no the column is fine, just radio and speakers gone, and lights broken.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Anyone here got an opinion of the XC90?

Took one with 25k miles on it for a test drive and really liked it. It's a 7 seater, but it doesn't feel like a massive car.

Also took the latest model one out for a test drive, but can't afford £50k for the car even though it's beautiful inside.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

She's home and sleeping!

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Nice, welcome to the R crowd

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

Oodles posted:

Anyone here got an opinion of the XC90?

Took one with 25k miles on it for a test drive and really liked it. It's a 7 seater, but it doesn't feel like a massive car.

Also took the latest model one out for a test drive, but can't afford £50k for the car even though it's beautiful inside.

They're great, just avoid the T6 and the early V8. The T6 has a disposable tranny that they never fixed. And the early V8 has a drainage problem that destroys some bearing in the engine valley and nearly junks the motor. The 5 cylinder turbo is the same great reliable engine and tranny in the V70 and S60 which share the same platform.

What year and engine specifically are you looking at?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Alright guys, weird-rear end issue on my 850.

The car: 1997 Volvo 850, 143kish miles. check engine light on for various misfires and probably an O2 sensor, don't care, car drives fine. ABS/TRAC lights on due to left rear wheel speed sensor, which broke in its housing. Don't care, will fill before winter maybe. Aftermarket radio/Sirius installed six years ago, head unit stopped working a few months ago, fuse is pulled for stereo power. No tunes sucks but I'm reinstalling the factory CD player when I get to it. I don't think any of these are causing my issue.

The issue: Starting yesterday, there is a buzzer that goes off once I hit 50 mph. It could also be a motor of some sort. It isn't a vibration or something fluttering, it sounds like a door buzzer. It's a very deliberate noise. It's coming from about the center of the dash, by the firewall near as I can tell. It isn't dependent on speed or RPM, and isn't related to the blower motor, the wiper motors or the windshield washer pump. It comes on at 50, every time like clockwork, then turns off once I go below 45. Like it's some kind of alarm.

I've seen other people with this issue but I can't find a solution. It isn't any pieces of trim buzzing against the roof or any parts of the steering column, like people in that post were thinking. It's a buzzer for some kind of alarm or something.

Anybody have any ideas? It's really. goddamn. annoying.

I posted a snapchat of the buzzing for those of you that like to show your penis to strangers, but I can upload a video when I get home. But imagine a loud buzzer noise, like an apartment buzzer, and that's the sound.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

CornHolio posted:

I've seen other people with this issue but I can't find a solution. It isn't any pieces of trim buzzing against the roof or any parts of the steering column, like people in that post were thinking. It's a buzzer for some kind of alarm or something.

How do you know this? What did you do to rule the trim out, because the sound you're describing is exactly the sound of loose trim on the windshield. I use masking tape to tape the trim off for testing. If air can't get under it, it can't vibrate.

There are no buzzers or relays of any kind in the center of the dash. The HVAC is there, and the fresh air vent sorta. Volvo doesn't use buzzers in general, they use dings or chimes to alert you of stuff.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

How do you know this? What did you do to rule the trim out, because the sound you're describing is exactly the sound of loose trim on the windshield. I use masking tape to tape the trim off for testing. If air can't get under it, it can't vibrate.

There are no buzzers or relays of any kind in the center of the dash. The HVAC is there, and the fresh air vent sorta. Volvo doesn't use buzzers in general, they use dings or chimes to alert you of stuff.

Because it's silent until I hit exactly fifty, then comes on. Turns back off when I drop down before 45. Over and over and over. And it doesn't change in frequency with speed.

I'll check the trim, but it really seems too deliberate in its timing to be trim.

edit: it sounds like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq2A50oYKM

I'll try to get a video later of it turning on and off.

CornHolio fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 14, 2015

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
Welcome to the R*Club!

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

CornHolio posted:

Because it's silent until I hit exactly fifty, then comes on. Turns back off when I drop down before 45. Over and over and over. And it doesn't change in frequency with speed.

I'll check the trim, but it really seems too deliberate in its timing to be trim.

edit: it sounds like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq2A50oYKM

I'll try to get a video later of it turning on and off.

Your vid is private.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

zundfolge posted:

Your vid is private.

drat, did it from my phone, missed where that was the default. Fixed now. There's another one on there. I'll do a long one tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

At least try putting some wide tape around the perimeter of the windshield to rule it out, I've had Volvos make exactly that noise from the window trim. The wind gets under and lifts it and it oscillates at its own frequency. It's tightly attached, it's just the leading edge that flutters like a sax reed.