Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GenericOverusedName posted:

It spawns in a V from where you've killed the Wall.

Ahh. Well that sucks. You'd think they'd just center it or something, but it's kinda hosed with our world in an unenjoyable way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well that explains why the hallow spawned right on top of my jungle in between the crimson, effectively resulting in their being no above ground hollow aside from a tiny patch.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
I've never noticed that. I guess I always end up killing the wall roughly at the center of hell.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

It spawns in a V from where you've killed the Wall.

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure the origin point is where you first spawned/killed the wall of flesh.

I never knew/noticed this, and I've unlocked Hardmode in at least 20 worlds. :psyduck:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Is the wiki wrong then? I could have sworn it mentions the hardmode biomes start at the middle of the underworld regardless of where you finish off the WoF.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Is the wiki wrong then? I could have sworn it mentions the hardmode biomes start at the middle of the underworld regardless of where you finish off the WoF.

Never noticed it on the wiki either, but the Good One does have it there:

quote:

After defeating the Wall for the first time, a mini box on the bottom left corner will show up saying "The Ancient Spirits of Light and Dark Have Been Released" and your world will enter Hardmode, and will be filled with tougher enemies. This will also generate two diagonal stripes of The Hallow, and Corruption or Crimson, in a "V" pattern from the center of the Underworld all the way to the Surface (and higher, as Floating Islands in these paths will also be converted).

http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Wall_of_flesh#Aftermath

E: I didn't read it that well apparently, it says from the center.

Seditiar fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 14, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

yeah im not sure where you guys are getting that "from the WoF" nonsense, I've killed the wall LITERALLY AT THE EDGE OF THE MAP under the ocean and the V was still smack dab in the middle

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
http://i.imgur.com/M3s4tj3.png

Tested this quickly, if you squint you can see the little box of loot on the very rightmost edge of hell.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I thought we were talking about the hallow/corruption V shape, not the loot box which spawns over where you killed the wall.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackheart posted:

I thought we were talking about the hallow/corruption V shape, not the loot box which spawns over where you killed the wall.

We are. The loot box just shows where you killed it. Thus showing that it's not originating there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

The White Dragon posted:

It's great that hardmode spawns enemies whose projectiles also spread corruption on top of that.

They can't do that anymore. 1.2 got rid of that.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

How do the Spectre Hood and Spectre Mask compare in terms of situations? Is one better for bosses and the other for mobs? I've been using exclusively the Hood and it worked well until the Pillars. It's useless against the Moon Lord.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

symbolic posted:

How do the Spectre Hood and Spectre Mask compare in terms of situations? Is one better for bosses and the other for mobs? I've been using exclusively the Hood and it worked well until the Pillars. It's useless against the Moon Lord.

The one that heals is incredibly useful in multiplayer.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Supremezero posted:

We are. The loot box just shows where you killed it. Thus showing that it's not originating there.

Oh I thought that wasn't his first kill for some reason, and that he was just showing the box.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

President Ark posted:

The one that heals is incredibly useful in multiplayer.
Although in multiplayer, it heals the person with the lowest, not exclusively yourself. That can be problematic since if you have 100 health and your buddy has 50 against, say, Duke Fishron, you'll be dead by the time the Hood gives your friend enough heals to focus on you. Still not a major inconvenience, though, since a situation like that rarely happens.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
On our multiplayer server, my friends and I just killed Skeletron Prime on expert for the first time and got the achievement since we had beaten the other two mechanical bosses first, but it didn't drop any treasure bags. Quite odd.

Timmy Horsey
Dec 13, 2012

Welp. This was an unfortunate sight to see when exploring a new world. And upon progressing to the Lunar Events, the cultists to start it wouldn't spawn even with my own alterations to make more space. :smith:
Just like when I was playing when 1.2 was new and the alter in the Temple didn't spawn.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Archenteron posted:

Stick a wall or door in the middle to cut it into two rooms and see if that fixes it? It looks borderline over-big based on what happened last time I tried to make my merchant a pyramid of riches to live in.

thank you, that was it. i don't think the game handles non-square rooms very well, it seems. the right bisected half works fine, while the left doesn't-- i only needed the dryad to be in there, anyways.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
STORYTIME

So you all were like Get a Cosmic Car Key as like the solution to everything, so when I saw a martian probe I was like Hm, I have beetle armor with fishron flair and spectral armor with magnet sphere and a lot of other toys and the thread talks this up like it's no big deal, okay bring it on martians!!!

Uuuuugghhhh

No, the martian invasion is something you MUST prepare for. Not really because of the peons. They can be a handful but I could've taken this if it was just them

No. The saucers are a loving nightmare.
They have a shitload of firepower, they will hound you so hard that you MUST be able to concentrate on them to the exception of all else, and you cannot out maneuver them. They will zoom straight above you. You go above them, then they do that again, and suddenly the drat thing is blasting you from above the atmosphere while you're in space.
There's no way to shrug of its firepower. It's relentless, perfectly aimed except for the ID4 beam, and it will out-dps you even if you have a clever combo of armor and tools.

But then I found a way to fight them

(that's an unfinished building that I probably won't finish)
None of the saucers firepower can go through walls and no matter what it WILL stay above you. So if you're in a place with a ceiling and a wall at the right angles, it cannot hit you. As long as I stayed in that corner.
Unfortunately most weapons can't reach it from there either.

Except the yo yo. So that's how I spent my martian invasion, hiding in a tree murdering sauces with yo yos. Got like three or four that way.
Trouble is even when the hyped up cosmic car key dropped, it thwarted all other attempts to face it on in a less cowardly fashion.

But really martian invasions are lame.
They are made so that they occur without your preparation or consent since the event occurs from a random mob encounter instead of a summoning item and they need both, don't let them invade until you think you can take on the saucers.
However the good news about that design is unlike other events you can prevent them. So do that if you're not absolutely sure.

Other news: Today I built an armory.

not as tightly themed/built as most of you wonderkinds make but I made it so I'm going to show it off, it's based on how I remember an apple ii game's high score screen sorta kinda

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 15, 2015

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Can someone relink the player editor, because I'm tired of looking for truffle worms every time Fishron beats me.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

legoman727 posted:

Can someone relink the player editor, because I'm tired of looking for truffle worms every time Fishron beats me.

http://yal.cc/r/terrasavr/

It's in the OP under Utilities, if you ever need to find it again.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Pakled posted:

On our multiplayer server, my friends and I just killed Skeletron Prime on expert for the first time and got the achievement since we had beaten the other two mechanical bosses first, but it didn't drop any treasure bags. Quite odd.
The way a friend of mine fixed this problem is exiting multiplayer and loading/unloading a single player world until it pops up, which usually fixes the problem. If it doesn't, there's always this.

legoman727 posted:

yal.cc/r/terrasavr

e:f;b

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

NachtSieger posted:

The way a friend of mine fixed this problem is exiting multiplayer and loading/unloading a single player world until it pops up, which usually fixes the problem. If it doesn't, there's always this.

Yeah, after that, the host just edited three Skeletron Prime treasure bags into his inventory :v:

Incidentally, we found Skeletron Prime to be the easiest of the mechanical bosses on expert.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

Yeah, after that, the host just edited three Skeletron Prime treasure bags into his inventory :v:

Incidentally, we found Skeletron Prime to be the easiest of the mechanical bosses on expert.

How? The destroyer takes like 30 seconds to kill with the Daedalus Stormbow and some badly aimed holy arrows, even on expert.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Given the bosses show up whenever they feel like its possible you wouldn't have a random drop from an enemy that doesn't spawn unreliably. I've only seen one mimic in all the time I've spent underground. Though according to my lifeform analyzer, plenty have despawned before I could find them! :argh:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Given the bosses show up whenever they feel like its possible you wouldn't have a random drop from an enemy that doesn't spawn unreliably. I've only seen one mimic in all the time I've spent underground. Though according to my lifeform analyzer, plenty have despawned before I could find them! :argh:

You can make mimics with 15 souls of night/light (super common on expert) and any chest.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

dis astranagant posted:

How? The destroyer takes like 30 seconds to kill with the Daedalus Stormbow and some badly aimed holy arrows, even on expert.

I did not know this item existed.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a harp since then so that ought to trivialize the Destroyer well enough on its own.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

I did not know this item existed.

For what it's worth, I've gotten a harp since then so that ought to trivialize the Destroyer well enough on its own.

It's a bow that rains 3-4 arrows from the sky every shot, each of which then procs the holy arrow falling stars. It also has a pretty fast fire rate. Drops off hallowed mimics, which can be made with those keys you make for 15 souls and any chest.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Hey, this looks good on the map.

Bummer.

Chobayt
Oct 9, 2012
Couldn't you use gemspark blocks? Amber or topaz'd work.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Met posted:

Hey, this looks good on the map.

Bummer.

Get some ichor torches or cursed torches. They work underwater/in honey.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

fill them with lava instead no one will know the difference

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It's a shame coins aren't in the background, I couldn't put my Throne in front of my gold pile.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So for summoners, the armor progression is bee, spider, tiki/spooky, then the final set from one of the pillar drops + bars, right?

Beat the mechanical bosses tonight and made the Twins staff and that + spider armor is amazing. 8 little eyeballs flying around, plus my spider queen staff as a little turret, plus a nimbus rod and golden shower for my own personal magic damage. Add in avenger+summoner emblems and accessories with 3-4% damage and it feels so powerful. Once I realized the trick to killing crimson mimics I was breaking them and most other normal enemies easily.

I also ended up with about 145 souls of night after maybe 30 minutes total. Sadly I didn't get the cool hook item from the crimson mimics that I killed but I'm sure that's because it was on one of the two that killed me and immediately despawned afterwards.

Dr. Fetus posted:

They can't do that anymore. 1.2 got rid of that.

That time I spent lining my central area with grey brick and putting up big neat splash gears. All for naught. :negative:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How do I stop corruption spread without spending hours of time on it?

Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Turtlicious posted:

Just don't care about it, certain bosses when you kill them slow it down dramatically, and once you're a little ways into hard mode you can buy an item to convert it back in mass amounts.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Evil Fluffy posted:

That time I spent lining my central area with grey brick and putting up big neat splash gears. All for naught. :negative:

You did it because it looked cool.

Also because natural corruption spread can't pass through them either. Never know when spawned corruption tile will be in your lawn.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Turtlicious posted:

Bombs. Mass quantities of bombs. Just blast straight down through everything in your way until you reach hell. Warning: May still take hours in a large world.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there even a downside too hallow and crimson/corruption consuming the entire underground? From what I've seen most of the new hardmode drops are exclusive to those regions and the jungle, which has its own natural defenses. I can get why you wouldn't want the surface to be corrupted but I'm not sure why I should care that the crimson is consuming huge chunks of the caverns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Well it makes the dryad happier