Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
To be precise, it was first introduced in The Strategic Review

Although the AD&D 2e PHB only specifically mentions "Robin Hood, Orion, Jack the Giant-Killer and the huntresses of Diana" as examples of Rangers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

When did the legal issues over hobbitshalflings come up? That could influence what rangers were mentioned.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

ProfessorCirno posted:

Never got that spell less ranger thing.

A guy and his wolf trekking 50 to 200 miles away from town in the wilderness alone to kill a squad of orcs or drow without spells is just silly.

How is going to heal himself? Alarm his camp? Cure a venom bite of a stray snake or poisonous bush? Outrun the squad if he must retreat? Ask natural denizens for help? Spot traps around their camp? Hide from a mage if they brought one?

Hikers are magic

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sailor Viy posted:

Hikers are magic

I mean, he's a D&D player so

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

To do things that the mundane characters in the world can't do with their usual means, so you call in Mr. Mysterious Powerful Wizard guy to do it?

Remember Dragonslayer? They sent a contingent to acquire a wizard to kill the dragon. In Lord of the Rings it was a wizard that guided the hands of the heroes to destroy Sauron. Merlin put Uther and Arthur on the throne of England and acquired them both Excalibur.

If you read books, you should know the answer to your question. It is a resounding yes, magic is supposed to do things a mundane skill can do, but much better.

I feel somebody should point out that none of those examples of wizards use magic to do the bolded thing, which makes it really funny that this guy is all "read a book sometime, scrubs!" In the source material Gandalf and Merlin very seldom do anything overtly magical and mostly function as sages who advise the protagonists--who would of course be martial classes if you rolled them as characters. A D&D wizard uses more magic before lunch than either of those characters used in the entire fictional works they're depicted in.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

Surprise! It's all EN World!

TGD would probably be totally ok with a ranger healing themselvs using skill checks (so long as it was coded in the rules!); ENWorld is where doing literally anything requires magic.

I had an actual argument on TGD where several posters asserted that by it's definition magic has to be capable of/the explanation for everything supernatural, but EN World doesn't surprise me either

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.

EvanSchenck posted:

I feel somebody should point out that none of those examples of wizards use magic to do the bolded thing, which makes it really funny that this guy is all "read a book sometime, scrubs!" In the source material Gandalf and Merlin very seldom do anything overtly magical and mostly function as sages who advise the protagonists--who would of course be martial classes if you rolled them as characters. A D&D wizard uses more magic before lunch than either of those characters used in the entire fictional works they're depicted in.

A D&D style wizard rapidly acquires powers that compare to anything the judeo-christian god did post-Genesis (and including that, once you get high enough)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

EvanSchenck posted:

Gandalf starts a fire with wet wood and locks a door really hard. Then he gets in a three-day swordfight and comes back as a Warlord.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Sailor Viy posted:

Hikers are magic

Hiking Across Faerun: My encumbrance was too high

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Do 3.x grogs just want to play Ars Magica and never realized it?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Jul 13, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

paradoxGentleman posted:

Troupe system would cause them to have conniptions.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

I want to. Someone GM Ars Magica or Pendragon.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The problem isn't players wanting flavor. If you wanted flavor all you have to do is act the part. All the home brews are around because people what mechanical advantages. I still blame video games with their instant gratification for people with short attention spans.

quote:

Of course you can, but if you're going to make a brand new class, it'll run a really high risk of becoming underpowered or, probably more likely, overpowered compared to other classes. I mean, WotC has thousands of people playtesting and commenting on their work on the psionic classes for instance, in addition to people working fulltime, who intimately know the system, to build a balance.

So: if you're going to play a game solely in another setting, there are probably better RPG's than D&D to emulate that setting than Everything Is Equal D&D.

quote:

quote:

Well that happens a lot. The problem is that people want to be special. So if they don't have an awesome super fudge covered class, they ain't special.
Thus creating new classes
ikr? I don't understand it. The game is set up so that you can make a special character using what they gave you. Just using your imagination. Perfect example of this is in the monster manual it says it doesn't give you the stats for every kind of monster or animal, just use the stats of other closely related animals and say its an other thing. Giant Goat is now an ox boom.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

In fairness, most people do.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

Find a way to make Warhammer 40,000 even more insane and over-the-top than it already is.

quote:

The Emperor speaks again, and has decreed that the Inquisition and the Ecclesiarchy be disbanded from his Golden Throne, both of which think this is the work of a heretic and now fight a war against the Emperor himself. The Adeptus Mechanicus has finally discovered a fully functional STC, and it has split them in half. The Adeptus Astartes follow the Emperor’s orders directly once again, now fighting a war against the Imperium’s faithful. While the Imperium turns inwards upon itself, the Rogue Traders of the outer reaches of the Imperium only care to grab as many worlds under their influence as they can to weather the coming storm. The Imperial Guard seems to fracture more and more as they still try to defend the innumerable threats to mankind, but now more uncertain who are their real enemies.

The Tau Empire meanwhile has become the Tau Republic, the Ethereal Caste disbanded and every race among them having an equal say, even having free speech, and in the wake of the Imperium seemingly in its death throes, has begun to suddenly expand rapidly both territorially and technologically, a new rising power somehow utilizing a new form of FTL travel to conquer more and more for their Greater Good.

More insane and over-the-top = Tau becomes a liberal democracy

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

LatwPIAT posted:

More insane and over-the-top = Tau becomes a liberal democracy

I think it's insane and over-the-top because a liberal democracy is still acting the exact same as whatever-the-hell mind control government they used to have and conquering tons of poo poo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

With their egregious violations of our most cherished natural rights to stockpile guns and scorn the destitute, all liberal democracies are insane and over-the-top by their very nature.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Keep your powder dry, Gue'la

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

A(nother?) John Carter of Mars RPG is coming.

quote:

quote:

The movie was fun, but the books really show their age as the protagonist is a "gentleman of Virginia" which makes him comes across as a self-centered, short-sighted, hyper-violent and totally sexist rear end in a top hat.

You people need to really quit judging people from past eras based on your modern moralities. The morality of one era just doesn't fit in a modern context, with your rose tinted glasses buddy. I'm sure if people from the past judged you with their moral compass, they would have choice words for you as well.

Are you sure you're okay with the opprobrium of literal slave-holders?

quote:

This rings very true, especially considering pretty much everyone here is pretending to go into someone else's home, kill them, take their stuff and then go do it again. I won't even get into how many of them are probably playing thieves, assassins, necromancers, etc.

I too am troubled by the hypocrisy—hypocrisy I say!—that everyone(all the asterisks right here) is okay with, say, a stagecoach robbery, but saying "friend of the family" all the time and mourning my besmirched Southern Heritage is somehow ~crossing the line~.

quote:

quote:

All the old races -- White, Black and Yellow Martians -- are portrayed as pretty thorough bastards, and the Red Martians, implied to be created from their intermingling, are definitely seen as a better race.

Yeah, this too. Obviously racist... No, wait, it's quite the opposite, in fact;-) !

This story of race-mixing is not racist because it's the progenitors who are filthy degenerates!

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
The part of those stories that always bothered me most was all the sword fighting that was going on while everyone's jibbly bits are flying free in the wind.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Ronwayne posted:

The part of those stories that always bothered me most was all the sword fighting that was going on while everyone's jibbly bits are flying free in the wind.

Worked for the Greeks.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ronwayne posted:

Remember the Gentleman's Oath in the Stick of Truth? Same idea.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

This is a valid query, but the tone puts it over into grog.txt for me.

quote:

I'd love to know why in Shannon Appelcline's Platinum Appendix for Designers and Dragons, covering the years 2008 to present, there is no mention of Zak S, James Raggi, Zzarchov Kowolski, Lamentations of the Flame Princess, the award winning Vornheim, Qelong, Secret Santicore, a bunch of other brilliant releases, and why the single mention of the OSR (in the year 2011, p77) is an entirely negative POV sourced from some random guy's post from RPG.net's forums.

It's as if the tens of thousands of hours of creative outpouring from the hundreds of people I know online completely don't exist.

A historian who allows their personal grudges to deny the existence of an entire movement's worth of creative wonder, community, and collaboration is no historian at all.

A glaring omission, Mr Appelcline. I implore you to fix it.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So D&D 4e Kobolds got a playable race, huh? Cool, got some interesting stuff, like a bonus vs. traps.

Someone who hates cultural stereotypes posted:

I also think that Trap Sense is very underwhelming. I don't see how it makes any flavor sense that all Kobolds are inherently born with an innate instinct about traps, and it's also going to be useless in a lot of games, because the reality is that many, many DMs do not use traps at all.

Guy 2 posted:

I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. It's not that it's an innate instinct about traps; it is a cultural learning about traps. When you think about the kobold culture, traps will be one of the first things mentioned. Kobolds grow up around traps, learning about them, dealing with them. Considering that, it makes sense that they would get some sort of bonus with traps.

Guy 1 posted:

No, that makes no sense whatsoever. This is a racial stat block, not a cultural description. Not all Kobolds cultures across all campaign setting put any special emphasis on traps, and even even in campaign settings where that is the case, not all Kobolds necessarily grow up in Kobold culture. Take the classic "raised by another race/culture" trope. A Kobold raised by Eladrin in stereotypical Eladrin cultre should have received no such special learning about traps and should therefore not have this feature. This is what culture should never be a part of mandatory racial mechanics. It makes no sense.

In defence, he's consistent, in that he thinks that Elves shouldn't have longbow proficiency as part of their race block.

quote:

quote:

If you look at the design of the other races in the game, most of them have cultural aspects. I can't actually think of one that doesn't. Skill bonuses and racial features are often tied to the cultural aspect.

So really what we call a racial stablock is a racial + cultural statblock, even if it's not what it's called. I could see a game where the two things are seperate, so you'd pick a race and then a culture (where the culture perhaps acts a bit like a theme in 4e). I could enjoy that. That's not what 4e is, though.
That's not going to alter my critique at all. I am well aware that quite a lot of race have this problem. That doesn't make it not a problem.

Races that don't include any cultural feature, though, include Human, both Shifters, Deva, Wilden, Shard-Mind, Genasi, Warforged, Kalashtar, Changeling, Drow, Goliath, Gnome, Dragonborn, Tielfing, Thri-Kreen, Pixie, Hamadryad... It's a pretty respectable list. You might question some of the skill bonuses, like Bluff for Teiflings, but those become pretty much fine when you realize that these are probably, and very believably, the results of innate supernatural influences. The only thing that must violate is going to be a language, because language is simply not a thing that exists outside of culture, though I still think that D&D should handle those differently, though backgrounds, for example, instead of through race.

Okay, so two things:
1. You are playing elfgames.
2. Maybe you want to play something other than D&D.

Serf
May 5, 2011

I unironically agree with #NotAllKobolds guy.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord

Angrymog posted:

This is a valid query, but the tone puts it over into grog.txt for me.

Apparently this "valid query" has been crossposted to both rpg.net and therpgsite. (You can find the threads easily with Google; I'll not link them.)

I'm sure this is solely in the name of gathering additional information.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Why it's almost like the OSR isn't nearly as important as people think it is!

I'm being overly harsh, but really, once you get past "older D&D editions have been rereleased" and "direct retroclones that make OD&D and 1e actually readable", the amount of genuinely good stuff coming out of the OSR can not only be counted on the fingers of one's hands, but I daresay has as much to do with the rise of digital publishing and social media than anything else.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

inklesspen posted:

Apparently this "valid query" has been crossposted to both rpg.net and therpgsite. (You can find the threads easily with Google; I'll not link them.)

I'm sure this is solely in the name of gathering additional information.

Okay, your sarcasm can be detected even through the Internet, but seriously, what other reason could they have to ask the same thing on multiple elfgame discussion platforms if not getting different perspectives?

Serf
May 5, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Okay, your sarcasm can be detected even through the Internet, but seriously, what other reason could they have to ask the same thing on multiple elfgame discussion platforms if not getting different perspectives?

Spreading the person's name around to incite harassment or to draw down the ire of certain people listed in the post who could rile up their fans?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Getting adherents of Zak S and James Raggi to harass Shannon Appelcline would be my first guess.

I'm actually pretty miffed that the guy threw in Qelong in with the rest of that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Maybe I am just stupid but I can't find this person's crossposts on RPGsite or rpg.net.

I also see no names that could be doxxed as a consequence of the WotC post.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 15, 2015

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

paradoxGentleman posted:

I also see no names that could be doxxed as a consequence of the WotC post.

Uhhh

quote:

I'd love to know why in Shannon Appelcline's Platinum Appendix for Designers and Dragons, covering the years 2008 to present

It's worded in such a way to immediately put Appelcline on the defensive and incite the fans of the creators who were "Missed".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

...I was looking for the other one, the one about kobolds. Disregard, I am an idiot.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Kurieg posted:

Uhhh

It's worded in such a way to immediately put Appelcline on the defensive and incite the fans of the creators who were "Missed".

Beat me to it.

This is an attempt to stir up poo poo among OSR people and direct anger at Appelcine. I dunno how successful it will be, but it's a pretty blatant attempt to get him harassed. This is Internet 101 at this point.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
It's funny because to come at this from another angle I honestly felt that Shannon Appelcine poo poo all over D&D 4e in the book. It does not get Nice Quotes.

OSR doesn't deserve much of a mention because it's a bunch of throwbacks circle-jerking about the 80s and acting like wallowing in nostalgia is some kind of vital part of the RPG industry.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jul 15, 2015

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Appelcline has responded, politely, at rpg.net:

Appelcline posted:

The OSR publishers started appearing in 2008 and 2009, and that was so near the event horizon of the modern day that it was impossible to note (yet) which were notable. I would indeed now mark Lamentations as an important publisher for the attention they've gotten in the industry and for their uniqueness ... but only after I managed to figure out what histories to write to feature OSRIC and Swords & Wizardry.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Honestly I don't really understand what is being talked about here, but should we warn her about the possible impending shitstorm?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Whoa, pretty classy response from Appelcine there. That dude has way more patience with people than I do.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

paradoxGentleman posted:

Honestly I don't really understand what is being talked about here, but should we warn her about the possible impending shitstorm?

Shannon owns rpg.net iirc and he is probably doing okay here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
From a thread titled: "What's banned in your campaign?"

quote:

Vampires. after my friend was a vamp in 4e and became the murder hobo, literally evolved from good player, it was forever banned. Vampires have not shown up since then, in any form. Also since he was a warforged that got banned too.

quote:

Dragonborn (We still have Draconians in our world and the "Legend" is that there is only one left).
Any race that is specifically a shapeshifter.
When we were playing 4e Divas and Shardminds.

quote:

Races: Dragonborn, tieflings, half-elves, half-orcs (plus most sub-races). I do allow several of the UA and EE Companion races.
Classes: Monk.
Other: Multi-classing and gunpowder (along with a lot of other DMG variant rules).
I can empathize with banning multi-classing, but the rest? Man

quote:

Flumps... They don't exist in my homebrew world... Can't even begin to explain my hate for the cheesy twats.

quote:

Shifters and Warforged. I never really liked the idea of the shifter; Lycanthropy isn't some kind of legitimate race, it's a curse, and there are no "half-lycanthropes". I dunno, I just dislike the race in general. And warforged are extremely cool; unfortunately, 1. My campaign is not set in Eberron and 2. there is no such thing as a "living construct" in my world, and a player race with construct immunities would just be impossible to balance in 5e.

quote:

I always ban guns. None of that flintlock bullshit or black powder grenades. If these medieval sword loving bastards want guns go play d20 modern. peace

quote:

Yep. First rule I had to learn outside of the rulebook when dad DM'd years ago was "gently caress the arquebus, you aren't using it."
Bows and arrows it was, then!

quote:

This, pretty much.
Guns simply don't mesh in a medieval fantasy setting.

And yes, I know I know, your table, your game, your rules, you get to set the tone and the setting and you want to avoid the game going "gonzo", but it all sounds so boring to handwave away all of this stuff.

And finally these last three:

quote:

Vow of Poverty Monk

quote:

Currently I've banned everything except 3.5 PHB and DM Guide for my players.

quote:

5e) Crossbow Fighter with Sharpshooter and the Crossbow Feat, to much damage output. My players saw how good one was and keep trying to bring one into the game. I warn them I will kill them.

• Locked thread