Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Total Meatlove posted:

It's weird watching from outside the US because the response to a team saying 'build us a stadium or we'll move' would be utter laughter.

Spurs are building a stadium in the middle of London and have to finance, develop, commit arson, and build it themselves. Which is why the London franchise of the NFL will probably play there as well.

There's actually precedent of owners living up to those promises to move, especially in the NFL most notably with the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis who "packed up overnight" (though it was actually a decade in the making) and ~12 years later in 1996(?), the Cleveland Browns leaving town to become the Baltimore Ravens after Cleveland refused to negotiate to Art Modell's wishes. This move was notable because Baltimore essentially became an expansion team and all the Brown's records, etc. remain in Cleveland and they returned several years later in 1999

The Oakland Raiders moved from Oakland to LA in 1982 then back to Oakland in 1995. The LA Rams (in LA for 50 years) moved to St Louis in 1995 and now there is interest in having them move back to LA. (I'm less familiar with the Rams' and Raiders' stories - though with the Raiders you can probably just say "Al Davis" and that would be an accepted answer.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'll own up to not understanding TEAM sports. I get following a tennis player or golfer or boxer/fighter, because watching anyone be extremely talented at something and becoming enamoured makes sense to me, but team sports... you're literally cheering because your town's name is the same as the team, and they play there sometimes. The outfits, the players, the coaches, the mascots... they all change. Like... what's the point?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

geeves posted:

There's actually precedent of owners living up to those promises to move, especially in the NFL most notably with the Baltimore Colts to Indianapolis who "packed up overnight" (though it was actually a decade in the making) and ~12 years later in 1996(?), the Cleveland Browns leaving town to become the Baltimore Ravens after Cleveland refused to negotiate to Art Modell's wishes. This move was notable because Baltimore essentially became an expansion team and all the Brown's records, etc. remain in Cleveland and they returned several years later in 1999

The Oakland Raiders moved from Oakland to LA in 1982 then back to Oakland in 1995. The LA Rams (in LA for 50 years) moved to St Louis in 1995 and now there is interest in having them move back to LA. (I'm less familiar with the Rams' and Raiders' stories - though with the Raiders you can probably just say "Al Davis" and that would be an accepted answer.)

It's not that everyone thinks they're bluffing. More like "We're gonna move to LA unless you give us... one BILLION DOLLARS! " "Ok :byewhore:".

However I have to say this time John went a bit too far with his whiteness gag.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 15, 2015

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
It's entertaining, it's a hobby, the players don't tend to all change year in and year out (see: most famous QBs), and it's a way you can tell people from another city that you would otherwise not have anything in common with to gently caress off and like it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strobe posted:

It's entertaining, it's a hobby, the players don't tend to all change year in and year out (see: most famous QBs), and it's a way you can tell people from another city that you would otherwise not have anything in common with to gently caress off and like it.

Yes, but as soon as that star forward or QB or whatever moves to another team, they're traitors and over-the-hill, and overrated, and they probably use PEDs now and cheat on their spouse. Conversely, if a lovely person but great player comes to your team, they suddenly can do no wrong, and gently caress all the haters.

Once again: idgi?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Gaz-L posted:

Yes, but as soon as that star forward or QB or whatever moves to another team, they're traitors and over-the-hill, and overrated, and they probably use PEDs now and cheat on their spouse. Conversely, if a lovely person but great player comes to your team, they suddenly can do no wrong, and gently caress all the haters.

Once again: idgi?

I can't speak for everybody, but I generally respect players that aren't blatantly crooked or giant douchebags (gently caress Jameis Winston). Obviously there are people out there who are giant dicks about everything they like, but if that was the only way we judged things there would be nothing safe ever.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I suppose my view might be a little warped, considering I grew up near Glasgow, which is basically the textbook example for 'go into the wrong bar wearing the wrong colour shirt on game day, and there's a non-zero chance you will be murdered'.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Gaz-L posted:

Kinda hard to maintain it after that deposition came out.
I think she defended him still after it, but only after that LWT montage she had second thoughts.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gaz-L posted:

I suppose my view might be a little warped, considering I grew up near Glasgow, which is basically the textbook example for 'go into the wrong bar wearing the wrong colour shirt on game day, and there's a non-zero chance you will be murdered'.

No it's exactly as loving stupid as you think it is and as LWT pointed out last year it's even more hosed up in the for-no-good-reason college-funded minor leagues. See: Penn State football idolizing a pedophile and the total shitllord that enabled and defended him and seeing nothing wrong with this because he was good at coaching literal slaves to wins in a boring lovely sport.

Trying to understand America's love affair with football is second only to trying to understand the rest of the world's love affair with soccer and why the paint drying/grass growing leagues have not taken off.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Life is loving miserable and sports can often make it better through a variety of means. That's it, that's all it took to understand the fascination with sports. No one's surprised or cares when you don't enjoy sports but pretending it's unfathomable is loving dumb.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's all bread and circuses. The problem is that in the US there seems to be a lot more emphasis on the circuses part than the bread part.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's all bread and circuses. The problem is that in the US there seems to be a lot more emphasis on the circuses part than the bread part.

well, y'know, carbs and stuff

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
What if we made it gluten-free bread?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Veskit posted:

If your aussie football team or whatever the gently caress you guys play said we're moving to a new city would they have an option of a place to go?

The teams aren't owned by old rich white men, they are practically owned by the league and the teams supporter base/members so they can't really hold the league/city to ransom anyway.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gaz-L posted:

What if we made it gluten-free bread?

Who wants gluten-free bread? Are you going to offer people non-alcoholic beer to go with it, you monster?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Josh Lyman posted:

What is going on in this thread? :psyduck:

Sports man.

Sports.

Also, what's going on with the HBO Go site? The full episode won't load.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

What is going on in this thread? :psyduck:

BigRed0427 posted:

Sports man.

Sports.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8flLpb3zXA&t=81s

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
How the gently caress did John say that stadiums look like they're designed by coked-up Willy Wonka, start talking about the Marlins, and not once mention what happens when they hit a home run?

agatona
Oct 29, 2010

That Whoopi montage is just... wow.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Awful lot of shut-in basement dwellers revealing themselves in here this week :laugh:

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

How the gently caress did John say that stadiums look like they're designed by coked-up Willy Wonka, start talking about the Marlins, and not once mention what happens when they hit a home run?

Well, my money is on believability. When you're doing a satirical bit on the design insanity of some of the modern stadiums out there, you must be believable or people will, well, not believe you, and they'll assume you're blowing things out of proportion or outright lying to make a story where none exists.

If he said anything about the home run routine at that place, people who didn't already know it was true would assume he was making it up, either for laughs or just to be mean.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I think it's because the dinger machine has been around a while and CLEARLY he couldn't top the comedy stylings of the MLB photoshop thread that one time.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Wait, that thing's real? I thought it was from a sports anime or something.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

YggiDee posted:

Wait, that thing's real? I thought it was from a sports anime or something.

Oh, it's real. Too bad no one's ever around to see it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

webmeister posted:

Awful lot of shut-in basement dwellers revealing themselves in here this week :laugh:

....I'm honestly not sure if this is directed at the people who are saying they enjoy watching professional sports, or the ones that are saying they don't enjoy/get it.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Please someone find that dinger gif thread in the MLB N/V thread it was way too loving funny.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urCG4A4fa6k

:allears:

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The dinger machine has no place in a ball park. It should be in the National Gallery or some branch of the Smithsonian. Its a national treasure that should be celebrated at every moment. As a resident of Miami Dade county, I would be more than happy to give my tax dollars to the statue. The rest of the stadium is actually pretty cool, but the dinger statue is true art.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
That Dinger machine is not real. It's cut footage from a Beatles music video and you are bad people for lying to me.

That or it's what you see while having a Stroke.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

"Flamingos are go!"

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
I'm surprised that they didn't include Whoopi defending Michael Vick/dog-fighting on her debut episode on the View

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

The dinger machine has no place in a ball park. It should be in the National Gallery or some branch of the Smithsonian. Its a national treasure that should be celebrated at every moment. As a resident of Miami Dade county, I would be more than happy to give my tax dollars to the statue. The rest of the stadium is actually pretty cool, but the dinger statue is true art.

Little known fact: that moving home run statue thing? It's run by a steam engine whose boiler is fired by burning taxpayer dollars.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

tarlibone posted:

Little known fact: that moving home run statue thing? It's run by a steam engine whose boiler is fired by burning taxpayer dollars.

That is an odd way to spell the Miami metro rail.

:goonsay:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

tarlibone posted:

A superior cultural product than anything the NEA has funded over the last decade.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.

Veskit posted:

Please someone find that dinger gif thread in the MLB N/V thread it was way too loving funny.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3469773&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=46

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr. Fowl posted:

"Flamingos are go!"

"They look very nice"

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

IT"S STILL THE FUNNIEST THING THE WORLD

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Please come back, Gendo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Gaz-L posted:

The problem here is that you're confusing sports with organised religion.

• Locked thread