Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Dareon posted:

Bombs. Mass quantities of bombs. Just blast straight down through everything in your way until you reach hell. Warning: May still take hours in a large world.

There's also the not-to-be-spoiled thing, which can turn those hours into seconds.

On a related note, when I first needed to make a plantera arena on expert hardmode, I ended up using a bucket full of dynamite to blast most of the jungle's toplayer off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there even a downside too hallow and crimson/corruption consuming the entire underground? From what I've seen most of the new hardmode drops are exclusive to those regions and the jungle, which has its own natural defenses. I can get why you wouldn't want the surface to be corrupted but I'm not sure why I should care that the crimson is consuming huge chunks of the caverns.

They seem to interfere with completing the Caverns/Ice biome fishing quests, which is a pain in the rear end when they encroach on your fishing spots and you have to clentaminate a bunch of poo poo.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010
So, I got to the Lihzard temple for the first time today and not realizing the significance of it, mine up the altar, or rather, I thought I did. It spawned on top of some spikes which caused it to pop off when I dug them up making me wonder if it's special crafting station or what.

So I pick it up and place it back down in the middle of the hallway and see it has the power cell icon when I hover over it and long story short, I summon the golem, panic when he starts spamming lasers, die. I start looking up if I can summon him safely outside of the temple and realize that I'm an idiot :shepface:

Then I had to kill him 3 times to get his stupid pickaxe to drop. Since he was in a cramped hallway, it seemed that a lot of his attacks weren't going off or SOMETHING because I could just stand under him and spam vampire knives at him, outpacing his damage.

Then I bring the altar to the surface and kill him a few more times for good measure, which honestly surprised me; after beating the twins and plantera this boss is a pushover.

Either way, it's time for martians. I'm on expert, god help me if half of what you guys have said about it isn't exaggerated

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

The golem is without a doubt the easiest boss in the game relative to the gear you have when you can fight it.

On a semi-related note. I hate how lame the stynger and rocket launcher's sounds are compared to the grenade launcher.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I'm too far ahead in my world with Corruption. Really wish they had the option in making a world to have both Corruption and Crimson. :(

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Waffleopolis posted:

I'm too far ahead in my world with Corruption. Really wish they had the option in making a world to have both Corruption and Crimson. :(

Does the game allow you to bring Crimson from another world into your world with Corruption so that you can make a Crimson biome?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Xavier434 posted:

Does the game allow you to bring Crimson from another world into your world with Corruption so that you can make a Crimson biome?

Yes. No problems with it whatsoever.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

I think all you miss out on in that case is the crimson chest in the dungeon, so no vampire knives. Oh, and the items you get from breaking the heart-orbs, but technically you can get those from fishing up crimson crates.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Walrus Pete posted:

I think all you miss out on in that case is the crimson chest in the dungeon, so no vampire knives. Oh, and the items you get from breaking the heart-orbs, but technically you can get those from fishing up crimson crates.

Yeah, but if you create worlds to spawn Crimson in order to mine and produce a Crimson biome in your main world then that means you have a world with a Crimson chest and Crimson hearts waiting for you to pillage. Not too bad unless you are hyper OCD about sticking with one world 100% of the time (I used to be like this. Don't be like me.)

vvvv I didn't know that. Bummer. Still, if you really want it that badly you could rush your Crimson world to hard mode and kill those bosses. Shouldn't take long once you are geared and experienced.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 15, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
To open the crimson chest you still have to kill all three mech bosses in that world so you can kill plantera there, by then you might as well have just started there.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Gotta love when you're trying to solo Plantera and a Medusa decides to come to the party uninvited

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Has anyone got a crawltipede banner? I just noticed I've killed the Moon Lord something like ten times now and the Crawltipede kill counter is still at 0.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
I was killing random surface corruption monsters for rotten chunks to summon the Destroyer because I somehow lost all the ones I had from normal, and I got not one, but TWO corruption keys :suicide:

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Grizlor posted:

I was killing random surface corruption monsters for rotten chunks to summon the Destroyer because I somehow lost all the ones I had from normal, and I got not one, but TWO corruption keys :suicide:

Is there criteria for when those keys can start dropping? Hardmode? Certain bosses being killed? etc?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Fought and lost to plantera a couple times now, but it's always pretty close. I've got a medium sized arena, using chlorophyte shotbow with cursed arrows, full chlorophyte armor. Any small tweaks to eke out more damage, or take less? I might move the nurse in below the arena but the fight's usually close enough that I don't think I should need that.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Just quoting since it was at the bottom of the last page and I fear people may have missed it. I don't really care if it is hours played as that character, but if its something else I want to know.

I think patches reset the played time. At least one of the earlier ones seemed to did it for me.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

omeg posted:

I think patches reset the played time. At least one of the earlier ones seemed to did it for me.

It's something that wasn't added or tracked until 1.3 so that might be what you're thinking of.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Invisible Ted posted:

Fought and lost to plantera a couple times now, but it's always pretty close. I've got a medium sized arena, using chlorophyte shotbow with cursed arrows, full chlorophyte armor. Any small tweaks to eke out more damage, or take less? I might move the nurse in below the arena but the fight's usually close enough that I don't think I should need that.

Back when I beat Plantera, I made an Arena with several rows of platforms so that I could zip around with rocket boots and grapple hooks to keep circle strafing him until it went down. This probably is not the best strategy but it worked for me. Other things I did to prepare is making my defense as high as possible with potions and reforging accessories. Making campfires and hanging heart lanterns for regen also helps. I also made sure to always use my potions when they went off CD unless I was near full hp.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Xavier434 posted:

Back when I beat Plantera, I made an Arena with several rows of platforms so that I could zip around with rocket boots and grapple hooks to keep circle strafing him until it went down. This probably is not the best strategy but it worked for me. Other things I did to prepare is making my defense as high as possible with potions and reforging accessories. Making campfires and hanging heart lanterns for regen also helps. I also made sure to always use my potions when they went off CD unless I was near full hp.

Basically this but with wings.

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008

King Doom posted:

Has anyone got a crawltipede banner? I just noticed I've killed the Moon Lord something like ten times now and the Crawltipede kill counter is still at 0.

I think I have two. Since I was running magic and already had a UFO by the time I started the event I beat it like 12 times before someone in this thread mentioned Crawltipedes leave you alone if you're on the ground. My death rate at the Solar Pillar went down dramatically after that.

So basically tempt death by hanging around in the air so the Crawltipedes go after you to get the banner, I guess.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

regeneration / ironskin / endurance potions are all fairly easy to make, the hardest part probably being fishing up armored cavefish

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Xavier434 posted:

Is there criteria for when those keys can start dropping? Hardmode? Certain bosses being killed? etc?

I think they can drop at any time once hardmode has started but plantera needs to be dead before you can use them, which makes looting a fresh world a lot more of a chore. You'd need to bring in one of each of the mech boss summons, tunnel straight to hell, kill WoF (should be trivial with a megashark + ichor bullets), kill all 3 mech bosses (which will probably require some sort of basic arena if you are at the gear level where the key weapons are helpful) and then go find the dungeon and kill skeletron and then find the chest in the dungeon while also fighting against the hardmode dungeon enemies.

Before the patch you could farm plantera for temple keys, make the key from the mold, and then just go to a new world, march straight for the dungeon, kill skeletron, waltz through the normal dungeon enemies, loot your poo poo, and delete the world.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Invisible Ted posted:

If you've done all the obvious stuff (potions, campfire, heart lantern, maybe a honey bath), then maybe kill 10 black recluses and craft a spider staff. Put a bewitching table stolen from the dungeon in your arena, and make sure your arena has back walls all over it. Any wall's fine, even dirt. Even without any summoner focused gear at all, if you drink a summoner potion and tap a bewitching potion, you can have three little spider buddies pouring out extra damage without any effort on your part. Spider buddies can climb up back walls, and if the entire arena has back walls, they'll spend 100% of their time sitting directly on Plantera just biting and biting away. It'll add up to tons of extra damage, and won't require you to divert any of your attention at all from the dodging and shooting you're already doing.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Don't have your plantera arena be too clean and open; leave chunks of blocks around. Plantera's shooting attacks are stopped by blocks so if you have some cover around and are able to avoid touching Plantera then you're golden. I've never actually made any sort of arena for Plantera, instead I just find some area that has a bit of room (which the jungle always seems to have a few of) and go for it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gobblecoque posted:

Don't have your plantera arena be too clean and open; leave chunks of blocks around. Plantera's shooting attacks are stopped by blocks so if you have some cover around and are able to avoid touching Plantera then you're golden. I've never actually made any sort of arena for Plantera, instead I just find some area that has a bit of room (which the jungle always seems to have a few of) and go for it.

Note: They aren't stopped by blocks in expert mode, so don't worry about that there.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Grizlor posted:

I think they can drop at any time once hardmode has started but plantera needs to be dead before you can use them, which makes looting a fresh world a lot more of a chore. You'd need to bring in one of each of the mech boss summons, tunnel straight to hell, kill WoF (should be trivial with a megashark + ichor bullets), kill all 3 mech bosses (which will probably require some sort of basic arena if you are at the gear level where the key weapons are helpful) and then go find the dungeon and kill skeletron and then find the chest in the dungeon while also fighting against the hardmode dungeon enemies.

Yeah this is more of a chore than it used to be. I think I would take the time to kill Skeletron and locate the chest that I want in the dungeon before triggering hardmode though.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

That's twice now I've had the lunatic cultist on the ropes after a 5+ minute fight, and I accidentally click my cell phone and teleport home. Wasn't there an option to disable switching weapons by clicking? I thought that was a thing, but I can't find it in the options menu.

Fake edit: never mind, I just found it. Its the little lock icon that only shows up when your inventory is open.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh, only gold animals I need now are a mouse and frog. Finding a gold frog is gonna be loving impossible though since it'll get killed as soon as it spawns. At least mice are immune to mobs so I only have to worry about it walking into lava.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Since you cool nerds showed your snazzy houses, I'll throw the base for my sky castle in here too

*growl*

It's shameful how long it took me to get the heads to be even

Are there any nice glowy blocks that I can use for the eyes?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fill them with lava.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Need to get to hell first :v:

But in a perfect world I would have the mouths drip lava

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tin Tim posted:

Need to get to hell first :v:

But in a perfect world I would have the mouths drip lava

This is doable. The dripping lava won't even hurt you.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
I'd say give them living fire for eyes and have their mouths spew forth lavafalls, but you'd need to get to the underworld first.

Meteorite bricks might make a good substitute until then.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

RatHat posted:

This is doable. The dripping lava won't even hurt you.
Elaborate pls. I'm a filthy casual

Wyvernil posted:

I'd say give them living fire for eyes
Just looked that up. Sadly I'm far away from hardmode. Only killed the Eye in my world so far

I'll probably make the eyes with Gemspark blocks for the time being if I can get that working

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So with these planters you buy are they basically pre-seeded pots or what? And do they still require you to put them in proper layouts in order to harvest them+seeds? IE: firebloom in lava and waterleaf submerged?

Dareon posted:

Bombs. Mass quantities of bombs. Just blast straight down through everything in your way until you reach hell. Warning: May still take hours in a large world.

Unless you hit something that bombs can't get through it takes about 2-3 minutes to bomb t hell in a medium world so if a large world takes more than 10 I'd be stunned. Especially if you've converted your 3-400 bombs in to sticky bombs first.

Omi no Kami posted:

There's also the not-to-be-spoiled thing, which can turn those hours into seconds.

On a related note, when I first needed to make a plantera arena on expert hardmode, I ended up using a bucket full of dynamite to blast most of the jungle's toplayer off

So for plantera as long as you're far enough down to be considered 'underground' he wont go berserk even if you're fighting in a colossal crater?

Pumpkin Pirate
Feb 2, 2005
???????
My understanding is that the planters are like wood platforms that you can also plant things on. The seed names just correspond to the color, you can plant anything in any of them. Also, the blooming conditions for waterleaf and fireweed have changed. Waterleaf blooms when it rains, and fireweed blooms in the evening.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Tin Tim posted:

Elaborate pls. I'm a filthy casual

When a water tile is next to a half-block, or if water ends just before a drop-off, it creates a little waterfall of whatever liquid type/color the water is made of. You'll see these all the time underground. They're just decoration, they won't hurt you. You won't drown in them, and the lava ones won't burn you.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Man, 17 Stardust Fragments. This means I have to beat the Nebula Pillar before I can make one of the summon items. Stardust Dragon is my best option, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Babe Magnet posted:

When a water tile is next to a half-block, or if water ends just before a drop-off, it creates a little waterfall of whatever liquid type/color the water is made of. You'll see these all the time underground. They're just decoration, they won't hurt you. You won't drown in them, and the lava ones won't burn you.

There's also now little droppers that you can make that make the bottom of a surface drip a liquid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Qylvaran posted:

Man, 17 Stardust Fragments. This means I have to beat the Nebula Pillar before I can make one of the summon items. Stardust Dragon is my best option, right?
Stardust Dragon is the only summoning item you will ever need ever again.