Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Basically, gay rights in Africa are still at the "explaining what the gently caress homosexuality is" stage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euXQbZDwV0w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Brannock posted:

We're very likely to get Bush vs Clinton in the general, which means that since 1988 6 out of 8 elected terms have been held by two families. If this was anywhere else in the world we'd be denouncing it as a clear example of oligarchic tyranny.

The Bush family seems like a dynasty, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how so many people have become convinced that the Clintons qualify. Is it Fox news or something?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Basically, gay rights in Africa are still at the "explaining what the gently caress homosexuality is" stage.

Except in the areas where it's still as normal as it has been for millennia.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

ElrondHubbard posted:

The Bush family seems like a dynasty, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how so many people have become convinced that the Clintons are a dynasty. Is it Fox news or something?

Some of it is definitely the conservative narrative about the Clintons just bleeding into general society, but I don't see why most of it, especially on the left, wouldn't come from a genuine idealism about the American political process and the ways in which democracy should function.

Frankly I can't begrudge a person the latter, even if I do disagree in this case.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kor posted:

Some of it is definitely the conservative narrative about the Clintons just bleeding into general society, but I don't see why most of it, especially on the left, wouldn't come from a genuine idealism about the American political process and the ways in which democracy should function.

Which is funny because many of these same people would love to have Bill (legally) come back to be President for ages.

I guess they just prefer one candidate to be popularly re-elected.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

ElrondHubbard posted:

The Bush family seems like a dynasty, but I'm still having trouble wrapping my head around how so many people have become convinced that the Clintons qualify. Is it Fox news or something?

Hillary Clinton is married to a man who used to be President, ergo she is a dynastic candidate. I don't think it makes sense, personally, as for a true dynasty you need a blood relation. I guess as a political dynasty it does, but for political dynasties you could do much, much worse than the Clintons.

usbombshell
Oct 29, 2004

Boom!

Powered Descent posted:

That's utterly hilarious, but what's the story behind this image's origin? Did Trump's people just do a GIS for "soldier" and not bother making sure they got the right kind? Or do trolls who know EXACTLY what they're doing pose as supporters and email this kind of thing unsolicited to the campaign, in the hopes it'll get used?

Someone apparently tracked down the stock photo guy: http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/insane-story-behind-trumps-nazi-tweet

"I have photos of American soldiers as well," Cairns said. "But for some reason, politicians seem to be downloading Nazis."
"I tried to keyword it carefully so people would be aware that it's WWII fascists."

Supposedly the keywords for that photo are:
"Armed Forces, World War II, German Culture, Marching, War, Walking, Fascism, Work Helmet, Battlefield, Camouflage, Gun, Uniform, Conflict, Camouflage Clothing, Historical Reenactment, Equipment, Five People, Rifle"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

ElrondHubbard posted:

The previous page has already made all the relevant points (and counterpoints), but to respond to this I find the problem with dynasties isn't that people are related by blood or marriage or anything in and of itself, it's that political power is concentrated specifically within a small group.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

computer parts posted:

Which is funny because many of these same people would love to have Bill (legally) come back to be President for ages.

I guess they just prefer one candidate to be popularly re-elected.

It gets joked about as a lot as people look back with nostalgia, but in a serious discussion I don't think there would be a lot of actual support for doing away with the 22nd Amendment and having God Emperor Bill.

Kor fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 15, 2015

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
I find funny is that people are upset about dynasties in democracies. The whole point is you vote for your leader. If you don't want relatives of previous leaders being elected, vote against them. If they win (supposing they didn't cheat) then that sucks but apparently more people don't give as much a poo poo about the leader's last name as much as you. Sorry, that's how the game works. Sometimes you have to take the lovely end of the stick. If you don't like it, find better sticks next time.

I'd rather not see Jeb win, but him getting the nomination is more caused by the GOP having lovely candidates rather than a fault in the system allowing relatives to join the race.

Also before anyone asks I'm Canadian and vote ndp.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

The previous page has already made all the relevant points (and counterpoints), but to respond to this I find the problem with dynasties isn't that people are related by blood or marriage or anything in and of itself, it's that political power is concentrated specifically within a small group.

You're not wrong that concentration of political power within a small group is not good, but that has less to do with Hillary Clinton's not-even-blood relationship to Bill as it does their position within the upper echelons of society.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009

What's really sad is that using the metric system, he's at -17.8

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

The X-man cometh posted:

:golfclap:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

The X-man cometh posted:

:golfclap:

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Mordiceius posted:

That debate was complete magic. I need to go rewatch it someday.

I've told this story before, but on the day of the debate my Mom and I were going to see a football game. I told her I was worried about the debates because I thought Paul Ryan was going to destroy Biden, and it was important especially after the 1st debate. My Mom looked at me and said "Sal, Biden has been in office for years, he knows how to debate, don't worry he's going to wipe the floor with Ryan." and she couldn't have been more right :-3

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brannock posted:

I do not believe the American system was strongly intended to do otherwise. I do think it would be fair to work for disrupting this arrangement (albeit by breaking up established wealth to some extent, removing money from the political process as best we can, etc. rather than some arbitrary law banning consanguinous candidates, which would be easily evaded by the Koch bros. and their ilk) but I don't think it is enough of a principle to make it worth a GOP president in 2016.

As a side note, I don't have a name for this but it seems like, while having huge entrenched political operators is kind of a bad thing, they also sort of buttress against other groups? Like the Koch Brothers are pretty much literally running a candidate, and we can probably assume Scott Walker will do whatever they want him to do as President (though they may not have interest in many fields of human endeavor.) If we had somehow combined Citizens United with "every politician is fired, we're starting from scratch at the next election," I think established money would have even more influence than they do.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Nessus posted:

I do think it would be fair to work for disrupting this arrangement (albeit by breaking up established wealth to some extent, removing money from the political process as best we can, etc. rather than some arbitrary law banning consanguinous candidates, which would be easily evaded by the Koch bros. and their ilk) but I don't think it is enough of a principle to make it worth a GOP president in 2016.

Considering the GOP candidate would be either Bush (bloodline), Walker (backed by big money), or Trump (is "big" money)...

Don't get me wrong I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Clinton in the general and I think nearly everyone in this thread will do the same. I think it's worthwhile, though, to make an effort to remember that she's the wife of a former President and that Bush is the brother and son of two former Presidents, and that we rebelled against a monarchy and refused to institute another one in this country.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The solution, as always, is to get rid of private campaign finance entirely and have all campaigns run with publicly allotted funds. Banning corporations specifically from donating won't do anything by itself

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Brannock posted:

Considering the GOP candidate would be either Bush (bloodline), Walker (backed by big money), or Trump (is "big" money)...

Don't get me wrong I'm going to hold my nose and vote for Clinton in the general and I think nearly everyone in this thread will do the same. I think it's worthwhile, though, to make an effort to remember that she's the wife of a former President and that Bush is the brother and son of two former Presidents, and that we rebelled against a monarchy and refused to institute another one in this country.

Well, thank goodness we limit the chief executive to two terms and wrote checks and balances into the Constitution, then.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
If Mitt Romney had won then he would've legalized polygamy and all of his wives could continue his dynasty!

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Also I don't think it's really possible to remove dynastic aspects and power concentration in the executive with the current presidential system. It's just necessary for a person to have enormous influence and public stature to be elected

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

If Mitt Romney had won then he would've legalized polygamy and all of his wives could continue his dynasty!

Better than his son...

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Alter Ego posted:

Well, thank goodness we limit the chief executive to two terms and wrote checks and balances into the Constitution, then.

The term limit doesn't mean all that much when Bush is surrounding himself with all the cabinet staff from the Bush and Bush presidencies.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Brannock posted:

It's always been fairly tightly concentrated within a small group.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

computer parts posted:

A Romney in every state, a chicken in every pot, and an elevator in every garage. :911:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

icantfindaname posted:

The solution, as always, is to get rid of private campaign finance entirely and have all campaigns run with publicly allotted funds. Banning corporations specifically from donating won't do anything by itself

It would also help if we shortened the actual election cycle down.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

computer parts posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Mormons are too big on women leaders

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

My real fear in the near future after Bushs admin was ending, and before The GFC, was that his advisors and other neo-conmen might just hold the reins on future Republican nominations. Stuff changes quickly, just hope Americans aren't suddenly fickle on Dems, and Hillary's overwhelming primary numbers translates into actual domination of the general election field.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

orange sky posted:

Why don't you guys do it, switch to the metric system?

Besides logistic issues, of course. Is there like a cultural point you want to make? Any reason besides cost?

Since the UK can't be bothered to go all the way yet like more than 40 years on since they started, why should we? Besides there's already tons of metric only stuff in the US, like nearly all medicine, and a lot of soda.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

Nonsense posted:

My real fear in the near future after Bushs admin was ending, and before The GFC, was that his advisors and other neo-conmen might just hold the reins on future Republican nominations. Stuff changes quickly, just hope Americans aren't suddenly fickle on Dems, and Hillary's overwhelming primary numbers translates into actual domination of the general election field.

Good news: Barring a catastrophe or sudden Bernmentum, Hillary has a 95% chance of being your next president.
Bad news: Americans have been super fickle on Dems in down-ticket races since 2010, and it is exceedingly slim that the Hilldawg will be able to change this dynamic in 2016, so look forward to another do-nothing R-dominated congress.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It's always been fairly tightly concentrated within a small group.

Don't Bill, Hillary, and Barack all come from fairly modest backgrounds?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

orange sky posted:

Why don't you guys do it, switch to the metric system?

Besides logistic issues, of course. Is there like a cultural point you want to make? Any reason besides cost?

I wouldn't mind switching as long as we stuck to fahrenheit.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Sir Kodiak posted:

Don't Bill, Hillary, and Barack all come from fairly modest backgrounds?

I think out of all of them Hillary has come from the wealthiest family actually.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

sudo rm -rf posted:

Kilos would be the easiest switch because it's more or less just doubling pounds.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I hope Obama uses his last year to push for metric, just to see Republicans melt down defending our good, honest American measurements. We've always said Republicans would fight Obama over literally anything, let's put it to the test.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

I think out of all of them Hillary has come from the wealthiest family actually.

Her father was certainly successful, but I'm curious if mid-sized textile manufacturers qualify as part of the "small group" in which power is "fairly tightly concentrated." Like, are the people making drapes for hotels part of the oligarchy we're worried about.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

The X-man cometh posted:

I thought polls were already metric; they only go 0-100.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

computer parts posted:

Kilos would be the easiest switch because it's more or less just doubling pounds.

as an olympic lifting enthusiast, it's 2.2, thanks.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Trumpism would be the perfect ideology for a third party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

sudo rm -rf posted:

gently caress it, switch everything to Metric, start measuring temperature in Kelvin :getin:

I hope Obama uses his last year to push for metric, just to see Republicans melt down defending our good, honest American measurements. We've always said Republicans would fight Obama over literally anything, let's put it to the test.

He's gonna suspend the elections until we fully join the civilized world :tinfoil:

• Locked thread