Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Vulpes posted:

I'm pretty sure it misses him, the angle is deceptive. Not by much though!

I'm just going by the way his torso moves as the truck lands, it kinda looks like he get's pulled down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

You are my new hero.

e:updated to fix image link.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 15, 2015

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Well right on about that time them Duke Boys figured Boss Hogg needed a little help on the ol' jobsite

Angela Christine posted:

Dukes of Hazzard sequel looking good.
:argh:

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Rudager posted:

I'm just going by the way his torso moves as the truck lands, it kinda looks like he get's pulled down.

He trips (or dives) as he's running, you can see him start to fall over before the truck passes over him.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

IPCRESS posted:

The underride guard tends to just be cantilevered outboard of the vertical attachment bars - the only thing standing between you and decapitation is the wall thickness of a box section.

The one that made me mad was the Hyundai unmodified trailer where, presumably to save $2, they had no gusseting on any of the underride bar and it was effectively cosmetic.

There's also that guard rail lawsuit about the company whose altered design ended up impaling people instead of slowing their crashing car down safely

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fantastic. :golfclap:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

naem posted:

Does jumping man make it :ohdear:

Why not ask him.

Big Steveo
Apr 5, 2007

by astral

Three-Phase posted:

I didn't realize for the smaller arcs there was more energy in the resulting clothing fire than the arc itself, but that makes a lot of sense. I'll need to send this to the guys at work. :stare::hf::science:

My PPE is Level 2, 8 calories. Got the balaclava, rated hardhat and the greenish-blue arc rated face shield. There are other electricians who have Level 3 and Level 4 equipment, plus things like hot sticks.

Just curious, what kind of work/voltages do you use for that level of ppe?

I work in substations (rail) and I work from 120v DC to 66000v AC. Yet my PPE is 185gsm cotton drill. We however focus on engineering controls/isolations. Never work live (except maybe to 120v dc for testing purposes).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rudager posted:

The internet says it's a stunt from some 1963 movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1usCgSutMu8

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think the weirdest part of this image is looking at the underride guard behind the apparently-untouched back wheel. Either there's some damage there I'm not seeing, the underride guard doesn't go all the way across the back of the truck, or the physics of crashes are :catdrugs:

I'm reading it as the bar that was parallel to the back of the truck got sheared, but the more reinforced supports stuck around and cut through fiberglass like butter.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Azhais posted:

The internet says it's a stunt from some 1963 movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1usCgSutMu8

It's from the adaption of The Ugly American, something that the clip neglects to mention entirely.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_American

The stuntman was Paul Baxley, who went on to be William Shatner's stunt double and the stunt director for The Dukes of Hazard.
https://books.google.com/books?id=1...merican&f=false

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

:stare: That's some unchecked telekinesis right there. She's lucky she didn't get a chunk of her head severed.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Jiro posted:

:stare: That's some unchecked telekinesis right there. She's lucky she didn't get a chunk of her head severed.

Look if you've got unchecked telekinesis at the site, thats mandatory hard hats for everyone okay. Regulations are regulations.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

holy crap sorry didnt think image was so big, was phone posting before

Hot Karl Marx fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 15, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

I thought an inverted plug meant the plus was controlled by a switch on the wall. That way you could always tell which plug you were supposed to plug lamps into.

That's consistently been the case in every house I've ever lived in.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Applewhite posted:

I thought an inverted plug meant the plus was controlled by a switch on the wall. That way you could always tell which plug you were supposed to plug lamps into.

That's consistently been the case in every house I've ever lived in.

You've consistently lived in houses that were built or owned by someone who actually gave a poo poo. With the exception of my parents' house, every house I've ever lived in has had all the outlets installed ground-on-bottom, with the lamp switch outlets scattered totally at random, and also with the circuits laid out in totally random fashion.

The townhouse I live in now has the master and downstairs half bath on one circuit, with a GFCI in the half bath downstairs. Plug something in that trips it? You get to walk down the stairs to reset it! (I understand that a single GFCI is fine, and meets code, but it really should have been installed in the master bathroom, where people actually plug things in, and not the loving half-bath.) Plug too much in? You not only trip the breaker for those two bathrooms, as it should be, but it kills two outlets, on two different outlet plates in the living room, as well. :wtc:

They also installed an interior GFCI outlet on my outdoor outlet box, which is daisy chained to the garage. They didn't properly ground the circuit anything in the entire loving house, so whenever the garage door opener would run, it would trip the GFCI.

And this place has a BETTER electrical system than some I've seen.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Is this the point where I bring up the IT system typically used in Norway? The last mile of power is three-phase at 230V between the phases, ~130V to ground. There's no Neutral and no central Ground, so a typical house has a local ground and gets three live phases at the intake. A socket has two live phases (so 230V) and hopefully ground, in a non-oriented Schuko socket. As connectors go, it's not quite so battleship-solid as the UK one, but much chunkier than the US ones. A proper schuko socket is also recessed enough that the pins don't make contact until they're no longer accidentally reachable.

We're apparently slowly moving to a TN net more like the rest of Europe, where the last mile is 400V between the phases, 230V to a combined ground+neutral, and you get four wires to the house; splitting the ground/neutral out at the intake box. More wires, but less risk of dodgy local grounds, and the higher voltage lets you use cheaper cable.

cyberbug
Sep 30, 2004

The name is Carl Seltz...
insurance inspector.

Computer viking posted:

Is this the point where I bring up the IT system typically used in Norway? The last mile of power is three-phase at 230V between the phases, ~130V to ground. There's no Neutral and no central Ground, so a typical house has a local ground and gets three live phases at the intake. A socket has two live phases (so 230V) and hopefully ground, in a non-oriented Schuko socket. As connectors go, it's not quite so battleship-solid as the UK one, but much chunkier than the US ones. A proper schuko socket is also recessed enough that the pins don't make contact until they're no longer accidentally reachable.

We're apparently slowly moving to a TN net more like the rest of Europe, where the last mile is 400V between the phases, 230V to a combined ground+neutral, and you get four wires to the house; splitting the ground/neutral out at the intake box. More wires, but less risk of dodgy local grounds, and the higher voltage lets you use cheaper cable.

Isn't that weird-rear end system in use because of the tolerance to trees falling on the power lines? The backwoods of Norway being even less accessible than those of Sweden and Finland, with this setup there's no need to worry about ground faults caused by trees hanging off the lines since they are floating relative to the ground.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Big Steveo posted:

Just curious, what kind of work/voltages do you use for that level of ppe?

I work in substations (rail) and I work from 120v DC to 66000v AC. Yet my PPE is 185gsm cotton drill. We however focus on engineering controls/isolations. Never work live (except maybe to 120v dc for testing purposes).

A lot of it is 120/208 to 480Vac. Highest I've troubleshot live was around 800Vac, highest I've worked around (not touching) was 4160V.

125V DC is nasty because people will use a non-contact tester, and it won't show dangerous DC voltages, only AC.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bitcoin bastard posted:

There was a pretty hosed up picture I saw once where some dude in a Corvette rear ended a tractor trailer. All the pic showed was his new convertible and a red splotch about head height on the back of the trailer. :stonk:

E: Found it, understated :nms: as hell: http://i.imgur.com/yZU1aox.jpg

E2: The original filename was 'VetteTailLights1.jpg', eBay listing? :v:

Something similar happened to one of my mother's friends from back in Detroit. As she was driving down one of the X Mile Roads, a low convertible went under a tractor trailer. The driver's head found itself lodged in her windshield wipers, staring at her.

She already had a rather fragile mental state when that occurred.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

simplefish posted:

Think I was linked from this thread or the old version of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pikn-lYG4s0
IIHS - Most underride guards fail to stop deadly crashes / long video /

Setting up, running those crashes, and then picking apart the car and the high-speed to look at and evaluate the design looks like an extremely awesome job. Still, some of those impacts are BRUTAL. :gonk:

Do they use supercomputers nowadays more to do crash testing (finite element analysis or whatever) in a computer instead of using actual vehicles? (I think that might be used more in the design phase, and then the crashing verifies that the simulation is acceptably accurate.) At least they were wrecking Malibus instead of destroying good cars.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 16, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Three-Phase posted:

Setting up, running those crashes, and then picking apart the car and the high-speed to look at and evaluate the design looks like an extremely awesome job. Still, some of those impacts are BRUTAL. :gonk:

Do they use supercomputers nowadays more to do crash testing (finite element analysis or whatever) in a computer instead of using actual vehicles? (I think that might be used more in the design phase, and then the crashing verifies that the simulation is acceptably accurate.) At least they were wrecking Malibus instead of destroying good cars.

I think real cars are pretty much necessary for reliable testing. Even a supercomputer can't account for every single variable in a real crash.

Exactly how are cars sourced for crash tests? Do car makers send a certain percentage of models for sacrifice or are old and junky cars donated?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Iirc insurancde companies pay for a lot of it.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

I think real cars are pretty much necessary for reliable testing. Even a supercomputer can't account for every single variable in a real crash.

Exactly how are cars sourced for crash tests? Do car makers send a certain percentage of models for sacrifice or are old and junky cars donated?
I think it is a certain percentage of new frames with only the necessary parts. I don't think old cars wouldn't make for very good test material because use might make them inconsistent.

Absorbs Smaller Goons
Mar 16, 2006
I know the reason the Porsche 959 never made it (officially) to the US is that Porsche didn't want to give 2-3 cars for the crash test rating. Hence the car was never approved to be sold on US soil.

It seems makers do have to pony up some cars for the test ratings, but I'm sure for all older comparisons and other tests they source their cars from other means such as a junkers and other private sales.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Jiro posted:

:stare: That's some unchecked telekinesis right there.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Goddamn magneto is just loving pissed at Russia.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

TontoCorazon posted:

Goddamn __________________ is just loving pissed at Russia.

Magneto

The Universe

Various Gods

etc...

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

you're gonna need more than just a helmet for this one.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

boo_radley posted:

Mad Max: Fury de France looks good.

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

boo_radley posted:

why not just attach the chain from the saw (obv not a sharp one) to the wheel?

this is metal as gently caress tho

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Three-Phase posted:

A lot of it is 120/208 to 480Vac. Highest I've troubleshot live was around 800Vac, highest I've worked around (not touching) was 4160V.

125V DC is nasty because people will use a non-contact tester, and it won't show dangerous DC voltages, only AC.

DC also locks you up, making it even harder to pry people away from whatever is electrocuting them. AC will make you spasm, which is slightly less bad, but still very bad.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jul 16, 2015

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

KozmoNaut posted:

where AC will make you spasm, making it even harder to pry people away from whatever is electrocuting them.

Back in grammar school, our science teacher basically made this comment followed with the threat of having to do a flying drop kick to dislodge whichever dumb kid managed to start frying themselves. Coming from a 6 foot, heavy set lady in her early 50s means that a lot of the pre-teens found the idea of this happening super funny. Thankfully it was all just a legend and something that never had to happen.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

a big fat bunny posted:

Back in grammar school, our science teacher basically made this comment followed with the threat of having to do a flying drop kick to dislodge whichever dumb kid managed to start frying themselves. Coming from a 6 foot, heavy set lady in her early 50s means that a lot of the pre-teens found the idea of this happening super funny. Thankfully it was all just a legend and something that never had to happen.

Our 7th grade crafts teacher sprayed one girl's fluffy wool sweater with (I think) pure oxygen and said "now when she sneaks behind the school to smoke a fag she will probably catch hell of fire hah hah haa!"

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

a big fat bunny posted:

Thankfully it was all just a legend and something that never had to happen.
Legend in what way? You definitely need enough force to break the connection between power-souce <-> person touching.
If you try to grab them to pull them away you just spasm/lock up together. A wooden broom handle or a 4by4 can help if you can't dropkick.

Oh, and DC is also very, very nasty because electrolysis will happen in your body and you can die way after getting shocked because it hosed up your blood. See a doctor.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

du -hast posted:

why not just attach the chain from the saw (obv not a sharp one) to the wheel?

this is metal as gently caress tho

you just answered your own question

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Jerry Cotton posted:

"now when she sneaks behind the school to smoke a fag she will probably catch hell of fire hah hah haa!"

That sentence means something entirely different in the US. But certain groups would agree that "smoking a fag" would leave you on fire in hell, so it would still be accurate!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

the story was about a she, so if anything, shes doing god's work trying to convince the fags she sucks to repent

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

RabbitWizard posted:

Legend in what way?

As in no kids managed to electrocute themselves under her watch so the dreaded Fahey Flying Drop Kick never had to be invoked. The legend was the larger, elderly science teacher throwing a flying pro wrestling style drop kick and not that very real concept you said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Oral sex = sodomy = immoral and, occasionally, illegal. It still works! Fun fact, there have been women put on sex offender lists for giving blow jobs. The US is great!

• Locked thread