Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Remember when Obama's Presidency was over?

According to the "liberal media", that's been pretty much every day since he took the oath of office, hasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

I cannot believe we are actually having a conversation about Ronald loving Reagan being a major party's nominee for President in TYOOL 1975. I mean, surely this can't have the demented, twisted storybook ending we want, right? There is no possible way Democrats are lucky enough to face Ronald loving Reagan in the fall of 1976?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Gyges posted:

Wow, he really is a fantastic businessman. Making $1.3 billion in a year with an income of just $362 million is nice trick.
Net worth includes increases in the value of things he owns, which is separate from cash income. Like how Bloomberg took a salary of $1 but had his net worth surge year after year.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
If Reagan ran for President today he'd be buried in a McGovern-style landslide thanks to the Internet's power of ferreting out information candidates don't want found. 1976 is not 2015 for a whole legion of reasons. Please, please stop equating the two, because Donald Trump doesn't have a tenth of the draw Ronald Reagan did.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

This is a bit of a tangent from more glorious Trump bragging but I had a question. Could an atheist win a nomination or the presidency? Not, like, a militant atheist or anything, just a non-believer. Obviously not for Republicans but would it be possible for a democrat?

Just because, even though I've followed US politics for a while, I still get a little surprised the amount religion is brought up even by moderate candidates. In Britain that sort of thing is considered kind of weird because, outside of NI, religion isn't a big political issue.

Just curious what the actual americans who know more about their country than me think.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

My favorite part of that release is that they're bragging that the forms weren't designed for someone of his wealth, yet there is still a checkbox that applies to them. If it wasn't designed to account for someone of his wealth, then it would be something like "40-50m" being the largest option.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

UrbicaMortis posted:

This is a bit of a tangent from more glorious Trump bragging but I had a question. Could an atheist win a nomination or the presidency? Not, like, a militant atheist or anything, just a non-believer. Obviously not for Republicans but would it be possible for a democrat?

Just because, even though I've followed US politics for a while, I still get a little surprised the amount religion is brought up even by moderate candidates. In Britain that sort of thing is considered kind of weird because, outside of NI, religion isn't a big political issue.

Just curious what the actual americans who know more about their country than me think.

Well, I mean, despite that he isn't, most people somehow thought Obama was at best an godless commie and worst an mooslem.

I don't remember Bill or Hillary being particularly religious, and McCain wasn't either.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Remember when Obama's Presidency was over?

Yeah, 4 weeks ago with the first setback on TPP

Since then he got
The Iran deal
The Cuba deal
Marriage equality
ACA upheld
Overtime
TPA
Drug crime clemency
Transgender changes in the military
Housing desegregation rules
Green energy surge
And the swing in national discussion in race following his "Amazing Grace" eulogy

Shame his presidency was already over, I think he would have liked this

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

I can't imagine a candidate who stated directly "I am not religious and don't believe in God" receiving either party's nomination at this time.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Alter Ego posted:

If Reagan ran for President today he'd be buried in a McGovern-style landslide thanks to the Internet's power of ferreting out information candidates don't want found.

Yeah, this.

Reagan was a horrible human being but he was immensely popular in CA when he was governor because he kept the mexicans/blacks/hippies down through several underhanded ways that got virtually no coverage.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, 4 weeks ago with the first setback on TPP

Since then he got
The Iran deal
The Cuba deal
Marriage equality
ACA upheld
Overtime
TPA
Drug crime clemency
Transgender changes in the military
Housing desegregation rules
Green energy surge
And the swing in national discussion in race following his "Amazing Grace" eulogy

Shame his presidency was already over, I think he would have liked this

It's really is.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Out of curiosity, how much does the presidential candidate affect lower office votes in the general? Are people more or less likely to vote for a given party's mayor/rep/senator if the party presidential candidate is awesome/poo poo? Are there any numbers that show to what degree there is an effect?

The idea is that the candidate turns out more of their party than the other candidate turns out of their party. Based on the assumption that voters tend to vote straight ticket, the winning presidential candidate's party gets more votes all the way down the ticket.

The problem is of course that outside of statewide offices the candidates are going to running up their vote tally primarily in specific districts. So cities voting for the Democratic Candidate can run up the overall total while the geographically larger rural areas still all vote for the Republican candidate. Thus the state ends up with Federal and Statewide offices going to the Democrats while the more numerous local races go to the Republicans on balance. The numerous local races of course being those that decide who makes up half of Congress.

There's also the issue of how many people split their vote, for any number of reasons. Voting for one party for Federal office and another for local office. It largely depends on the makeup of the entire ticket as to how much this happens. For instance a state could have a well liked Senator of one party who they continue to elect while also voting for the Presidential Candidate of the other party. Similarly someone could vote for a 3rd party candidate in a local election while voting for major party candidates in other elections. The result is that the size of the candidates coattails is highly dependent on not only the candidate but who is trying to ride those coattails.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

UrbicaMortis posted:

Well, let's examine that for a second. An atheist's chances at the Oval Office have dramatically improved in recent years, as the number of people who self-identify as "religious" (no matter the denomination) has gone down.

However, in Gallup's annual "Would you vote for a candidate who was..." poll, atheists remain the least electable group, although at least a majority (54%) would still consider voting for them:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/155285/Atheists-Muslims-Bias-Presidential-Candidates.aspx

That was in 2012, so I can only assume the numbers have improved slightly since. I believe that many closeted atheists have probably been elected to office already--but the ones who are "out and proud" would have a very tough time of it.

Kor
Feb 15, 2012

UrbicaMortis posted:

This is a bit of a tangent from more glorious "Spread it out in small doses" Donald "I will be the greatest jobs president that God ever created" Trump bragging but I had a question. Could an atheist win a nomination or the presidency? Not, like, a militant atheist or anything, just a non-believer. Obviously not for Republicans but would it be possible for a democrat?

Nah, probably not. Religion is still huge in the lives of a lot of Americans and, even if we don't include conservative evangelicals, a lot of peoples politics. You'd probably have an easier time getting just about any other single or intersectional minority into office than even an upper-class white guy who openly says there is no god. You can be non-religious, but being openly atheist seems a bridge too far.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Reagan was at least a governor beforehand.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Alter Ego posted:

If Reagan ran for President today he'd be buried in a McGovern-style landslide thanks to the Internet's power of ferreting out information candidates don't want found. 1976 is not 2015 for a whole legion of reasons. Please, please stop equating the two, because Donald Trump doesn't have a tenth of the draw Ronald Reagan did.

Yeah but Reagan had an coherent and popular, though vile, ideology behind him, he wasn't just a suit. I don't agree with the idea that Trump represents the average GOPer, he really is just a crazy motherfucker

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Well, I mean, despite that he isn't, most people somehow thought Obama was at best an godless commie and worst an mooslem.

I don't remember Bill or Hillary being particularly religious, and McCain wasn't either.

I don't necessarily think the majority of people actually thought Obama was a muslim. Especially since he talked about God quite a lot in his speeches. Good point about Hillary and McCain, although I'm pretty sure they're still Christians, or at least would claim to be if asked.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alter Ego posted:

"It says No Trumps. Plural. We're allowed to have one."

Reince Priebus reveals that he changed his middle name to Trump shortly before the announcement.

Holy poo poo, Priebus' name is actually Reinhold Richard Priebus. Why the gently caress would you just up and decide to go by Reince?

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Evil Fluffy posted:

It doesn't work. A Trump/Cruz third party ticket would mean a landslide victory for the Democrat nominee and they'd probably take states like Texas because of the vote splits on the right. Hilary Clinton winning the same way Bill did would be hilarious and I think someone in the GOP might actually murder Ted Cruz on the Senate floor if he runs as a third party spoiler.

Who's to say Trump-Cruz won't get 45% in Texas and enough other red states to beat out what Obama got there (low 40s, high 30s), beat the real GOP nominee, and claim a new mandate to obstruct Hillary "NOT MY PRESIDENT" Clinton?

I mean, that's what the GOP really wants: to bitch and complain and not have to have responsibility.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

UrbicaMortis posted:

Currently, there is no way a public atheist would win the nomination for either party.

From 2011 http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/religion/story/2011-12-10/religion-atheism/51777612/1
"Psychologists at the University of British Columbia and the University of Oregon say that their study demonstrates that anti-atheist prejudice stems from moral distrust, not dislike, of nonbelievers...The study, conducted among 350 Americans adults and 420 Canadian college students, asked participants to decide if a fictional driver damaged a parked car and left the scene, then found a wallet and took the money, was the driver more likely to be a teacher, an atheist teacher, or a rapist teacher?
The participants, who were from religious and nonreligious backgrounds, most often chose the atheist teacher."

From 2012
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/in-atheists-we-distrust/
"Atheists are one of the most disliked groups in America. Only 45 percent of Americans say they would vote for a qualified atheist presidential candidate, and atheists are rated as the least desirable group for a potential son-in-law or daughter-in-law to belong to. "

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Gyges posted:

Reince Priebus reveals that he changed his middle name to Trump shortly before the announcement.

Holy poo poo, Priebus' name is actually Reinhold Richard Priebus. Why the gently caress would you just up and decide to go by Reince?

Better question, why wouldn't you just use Richard?

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Who's to say Trump-Cruz won't get 45% in Texas and enough other red states to beat out what Obama got there (low 40s, high 30s), beat the real GOP nominee, and claim a new mandate to obstruct.

I mean, that's what the GOP really wants: to bitch and complain and not have to have responsibility.

Hillary needs like 3 states, baseline, to get to 270. If the Republicans split their vote share (no one who votes for Cruz/Trump was going to vote for Hillary anyway) then there's zero chance that they could prevent her from getting to 270. In fact, the odds would be that more likely for her to WIN some of those states that you're talking about because you're just splitting the same pool.

They wouldn't get to bitch and complain. They'd lose in a landslide and have serious issues holding on to the Senate and possible imperil their majority in the House.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

UrbicaMortis posted:

I don't necessarily think the majority of people actually thought Obama was a muslim. Especially since he talked about God quite a lot in his speeches. Good point about Hillary and McCain, although I'm pretty sure they're still Christians, or at least would claim to be if asked.

I am here to tell you that in TYOOL 2015, a majority of people I run into in metropolitan Atlanta think believe know Obama is a muslim.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

Yeah but Reagan had an coherent and popular, though vile, ideology behind him, he wasn't just a suit. I don't agree with the idea that Trump represents the average GOPer, he really is just a crazy motherfucker

Maybe not the average GOPer, but certainly the average GOP primary voter.

Remember, republicans have had a "gently caress minorities" mindset for decades but the people in charge have always done it with a wink and a nod while the rank and file have been openly saying it for even longer. Trump stepping up and openly saying it finally gives the base exactly what they want because him not hiding his racism behind a wink and a nod means they finally have a true conservative hero that isn't just another RINO.

Not only that, him being an egotistical, loud mouthed, money flaunting billionaire is embodiment of everything they think they could be if they just work hard enough.

Trump is literally the distilled and concentrated base of the GOP which is why he's beating the gently caress out of the establishment candidates right now.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/poll-donald-trump-favorability-increasing-120139.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-favorability-ratings-poll-2015-7

Trump's favorabilty seems to be consistently increasing among Republican primary voters, for now. One poll had his favorability among Republican primary voters went from 16% in May, before he announced, to 57% today.

Where is his peak?

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

SuperDucky posted:

I am here to tell you that in TYOOL 2015, a majority of people I run into in metropolitan Atlanta think believe know Obama is a muslim.

Hmm. That's depressing. I figured it was only freeper level people who seriously believed that stuff.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

William Bear posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/poll-donald-trump-favorability-increasing-120139.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/donald-trump-favorability-ratings-poll-2015-7

Trump's favorabilty seems to be consistently increasing among Republican primary voters, for now. One poll had his favorability among Republican primary voters went from 16% in May, before he announced, to 57% today.

Where is his peak?

The problem is saturation. It's not like people don't know who he is. I can't imagine him getting any higher.

The lovely thing is some one like him could win Iowa.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think Trump is best viewed more as a consequence of the constant blaring of the GOP media machine than anything. Like I don't think the average GOPer actually buys into all the poo poo pumped out by Fox and the like, it's a political tactic to shut down sane and rational discussion by just flooding the public space with garbage. There are definitely people who do but it's not the main thread of conservative thinking. Then the garbage achieved sentience and that's Trump

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

icantfindaname posted:

I think Trump is best viewed more as a consequence of the constant blaring of the GOP media machine than anything. Like I don't think the average GOPer actually buys into all the poo poo pumped out by Fox and the like, it's a political tactic to shut down sane and rational discussion by just flooding the public space with garbage. But then the garbage achieved sentinence and that's Trump

there's a good argument to make that Trump is THE base. that he's really just spewing the same bile that the majority of republican voters believe.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yeah, I would just Rience my hands of that first name altogether.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SuperDucky posted:

Setting aside this useless anecdotal data, do you just run around all day asking every person if Obama is a Muslim? Or is it just that only crazy people ever feel the need to talk about his faith, and they think he's a secret Muslim?

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

icantfindaname posted:

I think Trump is best viewed more as a consequence of the constant blaring of the GOP media machine than anything. Like I don't think the average GOPer actually buys into all the poo poo pumped out by Fox and the like, it's a political tactic to shut down sane and rational discussion by just flooding the public space with garbage. There are definitely people who do but it's not the main thread of conservative thinking. Then the garbage achieved sentience and that's Trump

You have it backwards.

The average GOPer absolutely buys all the :foxnews: poo poo, along with all the talk radio poo poo that's even worse. It's mostly the ones in power that don't buy into that poo poo but will absolutely throw some red meat to the base every now and then to get their votes.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

Setting aside this useless anecdotal data, do you just run around all day asking every person if Obama is a Muslim? Or is it just that only crazy people ever feel the need to talk about his faith, and they think he's a secret Muslim?

I'd have to look, but there's actually data on this where something like 20-30% of people polled in 2015, said they thought he was Muslim.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Because then Charles Pierce would have to come up with a different nickname for him.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mlmp08 posted:

Also, aren't the majority of people in Metropolitan Atlanta black?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Reagan lost in 1976 just like Trump will lose now :ssh:

So long as Democrats don't elect some sort of Carter-like figure, they should be fine....

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Hillary needs like 3 states, baseline, to get to 270. If the Republicans split their vote share (no one who votes for Cruz/Trump was going to vote for Hillary anyway) then there's zero chance that they could prevent her from getting to 270. In fact, the odds would be that more likely for her to WIN some of those states that you're talking about because you're just splitting the same pool.

They wouldn't get to bitch and complain. They'd lose in a landslide and have serious issues holding on to the Senate and possible imperil their majority in the House.

Trump/Cruz would only split the presidential vote. Everyone voting for them is still going to vote Republican for both the Senate and their House district. The only concrete benefit derived for Hillary would be arguing for a mandate. Which the Republicans would never honor anyway and will instead point to Trump/Cruz splitting the ticket to instead argue that she's a loser who lost and Conservatism wins again.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Gyges posted:

Trump/Cruz would only split the presidential vote. Everyone voting for them is still going to vote Republican for both the Senate and their House district. The only concrete benefit derived for Hillary would be arguing for a mandate. Which the Republicans would never honor anyway and will instead point to Trump/Cruz splitting the ticket to instead argue that she's a loser who lost and Conservatism wins again.

The point is that it would damage the party to the point of crippling it and throw their ability to support down ballot races into chaos.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I'd have to look, but there's actually data on this where something like 20-30% of people polled in 2015, said they thought he was Muslim.

Yes which means the poster above only talks to nut jobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Also, aren't the majority of people in Metropolitan Atlanta black?

:shh: The atlanta metro is uselessly large as a statistical area. There are areas of the atl metro where less than 5% of the population is black.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

On the whole for the country, I'd say that's accurate.

mlmp08 posted:

Purely anecdotal? Yes. Hardly irrelevant when it comes up within 10 minutes of mildly political conversation. Every. Time. Its a universally accepted, mild, agreeable epithet against that nig homofascistmuslimcommietrator in the white hut. Freep is real and it is out there.

• Locked thread