Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !

Infamous Sphere posted:

As for why he's typecast as a working class everyman and doesn't play a villain much, it sounds weird, but I think it has a fair bit to do with his accent. Britain has a wide range of accents, but only some of them really make their way to Hollywood, and Mancunian isn't really one of them, let alone one associated with villains (who usually have Evil RP, or if they're more working class, Evil Cockney.)

Looks like somebody hasn't seen the cinematic opus that is G.I.Joe : The Rise of Cobra. He was also in one episode of Hercule Poirot where he played a... Sort of bad guy ? He was a blackshirt (Nazi-esque english group in the 30s) accused of a murder he didn't commit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
Strangely I have *not* seen GI Joe Rise of Cobra.
Haha, I'm sure everyone under the sun has played a sort of villain in Poirot. I'm sure even Maggie Smith was a sort of villain once.

Celery Face posted:

Gonna be honest, Infamous Sphere, I thought you were British until you mentioned being Australian and then I was like "Wait a minute, of course that's an Australian accent."
Also agreed with you that it's "Aboat," no one says "Aboot" up here. Though, I once talked to this navy captain from Ontario who pronounced Wipeout as "Wipeoot."

Haha, no worries. It's not an uncommon mistake. A couple of viewers have expressed surprise that I'm not British before. I'm technically 1/4 to 1/2 British (my grandfather's a Londoner - grandmother's a Hungarian, other grandparents are German and Australian respectively - and my father came over to Australia from Britain when he was 3, and was still a sole citizen of that country when I was born) if that makes a difference, but not in my accent - which is a pretty typical accent for my particular location and demographic. But I'll stop now because talking about my accent and cultural background is quite boring.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mad Lupine posted:

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Please explain rather than just making a passive aggressive jab, unless it was just meant to make you feel good about yourself. Then just don't bother.

I feel like everybody else here knows what I mean, so I'm gonna go ahead and not derail the thread.

PiedPiper
Jan 1, 2014

DStecks posted:

I feel like everybody else here knows what I mean

You would think that, wouldn't you.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Infamous Sphere posted:

I think one of the reasons why Narnia didn't take off as a big movie franchise is because it's sort of a dry series of books. As Matilda says, "There aren't any funny bits in it. All children's books should have funny bits in them." Obviously the fact that it's a biblical allegory has something to do with it, although it's not as if I picked up on the biblical themes when I was a kid.
I dunno. What kept me from seeing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was that it seemed to be trying so hard to be Lord of the Rings. Tolkien and Lewis may have been close friends, and strong mythopoeists, but Narnia is not Middle Earth.

Keromaru5 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 15, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Keromaru5 posted:

I dunno. What kept me from seeing The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe was that it seemed to be trying so hard to be Lord of the Rings. Tolkien and Lewis may have been close friends, and strong mythopoeists, but Narnia is not Middle Earth.

Yeah, there was definitely a time were they tried to make anything into the next LotR. Narnia, Eragon, the Golden Compass, that Tim Burton Alice adaption. Hell, Jackson tried it with the Hobbit. Basically, trying to get a combination of Harry Potter and LotR going. Even the loving Sword of Truth got a tv series.

That pestered out, and now the cash cows are superheroes and sequels to 80's movies.

e X fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I'm sort of glad Discworld didn't get that treatment. I don't think it would work well as a movie franchise.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!

Infamous Sphere posted:

That's good to know. It looked kind of stupid from what you showed in the episode, but I'm not really an expert on the condition and I doubt Baywatch's representation of it is really that much worse than almost any other pop culture representation. At least they didn't do the whole "multiple personalities!" thing, which would have been a very obvious "whacky" choice for Baywatch to make. Also I'm glad to hear that Billy Warlock can actually be kind of Ok sometimes! (As an actor - maybe not so much as a person.)

WELLY WELL WELL. If you want offensive portrayal of schizophrenia with multiple personalities in your Baywatch, Carrie Anne Moss plays twin sisters who (twist ending) turn out to be one crazy woman who tries to murder Mitch! He sure gets himself into a pickle with that one.

As for Billy Warlock, I think he had some creepy possessive qualities in his relationship with Erika Eleniak, but I don't necessarily think he's a bad person. In any case, all that happened 20 years ago, so I think both parties have moved onto better and hopefully healthier relationships.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mraagvpeine posted:

I'm sort of glad Discworld didn't get that treatment. I don't think it would work well as a movie franchise.

There's a TV series coming based on the City Watch though.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
I just remember when the new Bridge To Terabithia movie came out and got advertised as a LOTR thing, and then turned out to be a faithful adaptation.

Like, there are still people who believe it did a LOTR thing, so bad was that marketing.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I just remember when the new Bridge To Terabithia movie came out and got advertised as a LOTR thing, and then turned out to be a faithful adaptation.

Like, there are still people who believe it did a LOTR thing, so bad was that marketing.

I wish I had seen that in a theater of packed parents and children not know what they were getting into.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

I seen that with a ton of films, Spy is the latest one where Melissa McCarthy was shown in the trailer as "let's laugh at the fat woman" but in the film the whole "she's fat lol" was downplay by a good amount. that moped that fell with her on it, fell because it had a shity roof on it that made it top heavly, nut because she was fat.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I suppose John Green's books count as the next best thing, right? It seems that adults read them more than teens do, actually.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Mraagvpeine posted:

They've done a TV movie or two based on some of the novels and if you keep an open mind they're pretty enjoyable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tracula posted:

They've done a TV movie or two based on some of the novels and if you keep an open mind they're pretty enjoyable.

Hogfather's great and Going Postal's okay, but Colour of Magic not so much aside from a spot-on Twoflower.

I hope Charles Dance is the Patrician again for the tv series, because he was a perfect Vetinari in Going Postal :allears:.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

Baywatching: The Lost Treasure of Tower 12. Another weenie tries to steal Shauni away from Eddie.
http://phelous.com/2015/07/15/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-lost-treasure-of-tower-12/

KKall
Oct 15, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm actually surprised that no one's really taken a whack at the Eragon movie in video review format yet. It's the kind of incompetent, goofy faceplant of a movie that would be rife for a Best of the Worst episode if it was ten years older and you shaved like three or four 0's off its budget.

I know there's been an ungodly amount written about it and the books it was based on, but I'm still surprised no one's tackled it yet in video format.

Il Neige covered it. http://blip.tv/what-we-had-to-watch/what-we-had-to-watch-eragon-5539889

He's one of the newer guys on Channel Awesome. I think he has excellent screen presence. He also played "Michael Bay" in that musical episode I did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KKall posted:

Il Neige covered it. http://blip.tv/what-we-had-to-watch/what-we-had-to-watch-eragon-5539889

He's one of the newer guys on Channel Awesome. I think he has excellent screen presence. He also played "Michael Bay" in that musical episode I did.

I actually found that shortly after I posted that. You're right, he does seem like a pretty cool guy. Thanks for the recommendation. I might have to check out more of his stuff it seems.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

You mean people like Doug? Because he did exactly that.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Paging hbomberguy, that dumb Anita Sarkeesian documentary actually came out.

Apparently there's a minute and a half of just nothing because they forgot to edit a clip in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I'm seeing several reviewers on Twitter saying that Blip may be shutting down? Not seeing a source though.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm seeing several reviewers on Twitter saying that Blip may be shutting down? Not seeing a source though.

I wouldn't be surprised, since the blip player stopped working for me yesterday.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Apparently there's a minute and a half of just nothing because they forgot to edit a clip in.

Really? Lol.

The drama behind the release was epic. Aurini tried to do another crowd sourcing campaign behind Owen's back and Owen lost his poo poo. Owen released a youtube video saying not to donate to it and that Aurini is trying to scam people out of their money. Aurini put out his own video and said that Owen is trying to release the movie too early on his own and said that he sucks at editing and that the movie needs more funding and that it will take six more months before it's properly finished, and that Owen sucks at editing and that if he puts it out now it will suck. Owen put out another video and said gently caress that, the movie's done, I'm putting it out now, Aurini's a liar, don't give him any more money and he released the movie days later. It must be a delightful train wreck. The guy who said that it truly is a "Sarkeesian Effect" in that they took crowd sourced money and didn't deliver what was promised, really hit the nail on the head.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 15, 2015

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Guess what's back, everybody's favorite quiz show

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Genetic Toaster posted:

Link? I wanna point and laugh at real life version of Rising Tides, Crashing Skies.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
I am shocked the mra who collects toy skulls and look like a bond villain is untrustworthy and a oval office.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Arcsquad12 posted:

You mean people like Doug? Because he did exactly that.

I never saw that review, how did he react?

Genetic Toaster posted:

My favorite part was that Aurini is apparently the world's only fan of the CDI Zelda games

emeriin
Feb 1, 2015
Regarding the quiz show, I actually enjoyed it more? I shouldn't and my standards are so low, but the contestants seemed to be having a better time, General Anesthetic actually had lines, no terribly sexist Miss Stockholm character, the questions felt more streamlined and I wasn't really a fan of Brad's snarking (though I don't blame him!) so I'm fine with changing it to Doug.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

BigRed0427 posted:

Link? I wanna point and laugh at real life version of Rising Tides, Crashing Skies.

Alright, but you asked for them ...

https://youtu.be/MMpQuudYxLY - Aurini asks for more crowd funding.
https://youtu.be/c6uJnBSJ69Q - Owen finds out about it, loses his poo poo.
https://youtu.be/RvEssPhE10o - Aurini responds, and defends himself.
https://youtu.be/0wnNtaIvUrI - Owen responds, calls Aurinia a liar and scammer and says film is finished and will be released. He's done with Aurini and the project.
https://youtu.be/OoPNgLi_o7I - Owen announces the release for July 31st in Atlanta.
https://youtu.be/abXTh7UtCtY - Aurini slams Owen / prologue to release of rough footage.
https://youtu.be/T6AibgptNxc - Rough footage of the first 40 minutes of the film.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 16, 2015

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Gianthogweed posted:

Really? Lol.

The drama behind the release was epic. Aurini tried to do another crowd sourcing campaign behind Owen's back and Owen lost his poo poo. Owen released a youtube video saying not to donate to it and that Aurini is trying to scam people out of their money. Aurini put out his own video and said that Owen is trying to release the movie too early on his own and said that he sucks at editing and that the movie needs more funding and that it will take six more months before it's properly finished, and that Owen sucks at editing and that if he puts it out now it will suck. Owen put out another video and said gently caress that, the movie's done, I'm putting it out now, Aurini's a liar, don't give him any more money and he released the movie days later. It must be a delightful train wreck. The guy who said that it truly is a "Sarkeesian Effect" in that they took crowd sourced money and didn't deliver what was promised, really hit the nail on the head.

Say what you will about Owen, he may be a sack of poo poo, but at least he's a strangely honest sack of poo poo.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

emeriin posted:

Regarding the quiz show, I actually enjoyed it more? I shouldn't and my standards are so low, but the contestants seemed to be having a better time, General Anesthetic actually had lines, no terribly sexist Miss Stockholm character, the questions felt more streamlined and I wasn't really a fan of Brad's snarking (though I don't blame him!) so I'm fine with changing it to Doug.

Brad talked about this at a co, he was stoned in the whole filming and it seem like he was trying to not be called back for another filming. he also said he was meant to be doing this back when him and Jillian was still married so even before the same show was announced round demo reel.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I wasn't going to post this because I don't think either Aurini or Owen deserve even the time it takes to mock them, but We Hunted The Mammoth did a pretty good take down of the fruit of Aurini's slimy con job: http://wehuntedthemammoth.com/2015/...aurini-version/

Cyron posted:

Brad talked about this at a co, he was stoned in the whole filming and it seem like he was trying to not be called back for another filming. he also said he was meant to be doing this back when him and Jillian was still married so even before the same show was announced round demo reel.

Brad literally summed it up as "Hey, everyone should have at least one Battlefield Earth on their résumé". If that wasn't a clear enough sign to Doug to never try making it again, when one of your closest professional colleagues says THAT, and you still take another crack at it then he must really be loving dense.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 15, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miss Wallace posted:

Baywatching: The Lost Treasure of Tower 12. Another weenie tries to steal Shauni away from Eddie.
http://phelous.com/2015/07/15/obscurus-lupa/baywatching/baywatching-the-lost-treasure-of-tower-12/

What is this, a cornucopia of Baywatching?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Brad literally summed it up as "Hey, everyone should have at least one Battlefield Earth on their résumé". If that wasn't a clear enough sign to Doug to never try making it again, when one of your closest professional colleagues says THAT, and you still take another crack at it then he must really be loving dense.

Well they kind of have a legal obligation to do it because they raised $90,000 for 40 episodes, so...

Also I love that part 2 was released to absolutely no fanfare. What a delightful train wreck; I feel like I've witnessed a hilarious "face in poop" comeuppance.

MonsieurChoc posted:

What is this, a cornucopia of Baywatching?

I released 3 at a time, next vid that'll be public is a Movie Nights.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I wonder who's going to save and archive all the videos of their favorite people should that happen. I can't even begin to imagine how big a job that would be for someone with a long history, like Brad.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Miss Wallace posted:

Well they kind of have a legal obligation to do it because they raised $90,000 for 40 episodes, so...

Lord, take me now. :cripes:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder who's going to save and archive all the videos of their favorite people should that happen. I can't even begin to imagine how big a job that would be for someone with a long history, like Brad.

That's a good point. Lupa, you got your stuff backed up somewhere? how far back?

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

That's not including the episodes they promised for the video game related game show they also promised. Or the episodes of the comic show they also promised.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Miss Wallace posted:

I released 3 at a time, next vid that'll be public is a Movie Nights.

Yay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

It shouldn't be that hard, really. If you have a downloader like FlashGot or DownloadThemAll on your browser then really its just a matter of how long it'll take to download everything at the highest salvageable quality/format.

Also, Blip's been in the process of shutting down forever for like three years now yet its still here, so I'll believe it when I see it.

• Locked thread