Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Krowley posted:

Zed time as a pseudo-random and unpredictable reward for good play owns, tripwire don't change a thing

E: This game already have enough bars and gauges as is, don't go all battlefield with it

It's not rewarded based on good play at all really, the biggest variable in determining when ZED time activates when the last time ZED time activated. Most actions a player does will give a 12-20% chance of activating ZED time after sixty seconds.

quote:

Minimum interval between two ZED Times is 10 seconds. Cooldown starts right at the beginning of each ZED Time.

Base chances to get ZED Time:

Player kills ZED (within 300 units of range) - 5%.
Player kills ZED (range > 300 units) - 2.5%.
ZED kills player or other ZED - 5%.
ZED dies under other circumstances - 5%.
Commando's extension - 100%.
Boss dies - 100% (duration - 6 seconds).

In addition following events also has their (separate) chances to cause ZED Time:

Player kills 4 or more ZEDs with an explosion - 5%.
Player kills 2-3 ZEDs with an explosion - 3%.
Player kills ZED with a headshot (within 50 units) - 3%.
Player kills ZED with a headshot (range > 50 units) - 5%.

Note 2: These chances are separate. While having 5% chance to cause ZED Time by killing ZED at same time there is 5% chance to cause it by killing this ZED with a headshot. Units are centimeters, 1uu = 1cm.

Following chances increase in time if time passed since the last ZED Time is:

10 seconds - no chances.
10-30 seconds - normal chances.
30-60 seconds - 2 times better chances (x2).
60+ seconds - 4 times better chances (x4).

How it works:

With each ZED / player death, the game rolls the dice (uses FRand() function that returns random float value between 0 and 1). Then checks if this value is greater or less than base chance (3% = 0.03, 5% = 0.05 etc.). If this value is less than base chance ZED Time begins.

Basically, of the classes, Demolition has the highest chance of activating ZED time just because it can get the most single activation attempts at once, if Demo kills 4 ZEDs within 30m then the player will have 5 separate activation chances within the smallest timeframe. Combine this with the rest of the teams efforts as well, but the end result is that the most effective way to activate ZED time within a small window also means you'll get the least use out of it - [almost] no ZEDs, most likely reloading. This reduces it merely to an aesthetic feature, as noted, does not synergize well with capstone skills (or make them useful), and doesn't make it a reward.

The whole system does not need to be tossed, but rather more visibly integrated for the players and with more stacking effects over the longterm so you can theoretically build up to ZED time but such ZED time activation bonuses fade after a time and reduce to normal, very low levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dogstile posted:

Yeah, even if you keep breaking the sightlines, they seem to not give a poo poo and charge anyway. Its actually kind of annoying as it dumbs down how you deal with him. Instead of tactical decisions you're forced to deal with it "right loving now".

This may be my terrible mindset talking, but I'd figure "You have to deal with this guy, the largest non boss in the game, who wants to murder you SO BAD" to be more of a decision point compared to "I can put off dealing with them long enough to find every single collectable in the manor." Scrakes, which isn't even an exaggeration thanks to seeing it firsthand.

Granted, I stop thinking that way pretty fast when there is more than one pound.

Some consistent mechanics would be nice though, admittedly. If it was in fact completely random when they freak out (if "enrage of their own volition" used in a negative light means what it sounds like) then yeah that is bullshit compared to something like "Fleshpounds hate you so much, they flip the gently caress out five seconds after seeing a player and won't lose interest just because you ducked around a corner three feet away from them."

EDIT: I don't have a problem with being able to better manage enemies in general. I have a problem when it starts to veer towards "Why can't I kite or ignore X until it is convenient for me to stop and fight them?"

I'm sure you all want something much more reasonable though, and not something like "Oh my god, I can't believe the Devs made it so after Scrakes see you, they will automatically rage out sixty seconds later! scrakes are completely unmanageable now game ruined" .... Which sadly I can just see some people saying out in the steam and Tripwire forums in that case, knowing viddy games.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 15, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I always viewed FP's as something meant to disrupt you and get you moving around the map, problem is the teleporting makes that either impossible or very difficult.

I still don't know what the hell trip was thinking with the teleporting nonsense.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Alteisen posted:

I always viewed FP's as something meant to disrupt you and get you moving around the map, problem is the teleporting makes that either impossible or very difficult.

I still don't know what the hell trip was thinking with the teleporting nonsense.

Are they only suppose to teleport when you're running away from them? Yesterday I had Sirens doing the whole Ringu/Grudge shift towards me while I was trying to gun them down.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

While I understand the WHY of it, it is poorly implemented as all get out. All of my most :argh: cases of zed teleports are the ones where they flagrantly respawn right next to you the moment they leave your view. Shut door seeing the final living enemy down the hall. Get shot by husk on spawn ledge above you as you are turning around.

Or it's so poorly done and delayed that you round a corner, pass through a door, and then two seconds later a clot blinks into existence in front of you.

Perhaps I am foolishly naive to think Teleports both not happening until an enemy has been out of sight of all living players for at least 15 seconds, and then not into a Door spawn you are sprinting for would basically "Fix" teleports. Adjust for not having them loving teleport if they are anywhere near a welded door. Because then it should not catch people off guard in a flagrantly cheating manner, while you can still kite an enemies across the entire level unless you outrun them so hard they can't even see you for over ten seconds.

Shutting a door on an enemy only for them to pop out of the floor behind you before you can even think about pulling out the welder is bad. Rounding a corner fleeing from the only fleshpound on the map right on your rear end only for it to somehow be waiting for you in the next room is bad. Enemies that have been out of play for a solid chunk of time popping up wherever they want meanwhile, keeps things flowing and is only a problem if you are sprinting a lap around the level for ammo without wanting to fight anything in the middle of a wave.

EDIT: Either way, I get much more Mad At Video Games over the vertical popup over scenery. Oh good, the Zeds have to take the time to up and around the stairs to reach me.... Or, I guess they could just clip their way up the wall and through the railing so close to the ceiling it is impossible for me to get over it without crouch jumping. That too :sigh:

An entire crowd of zeds just phasing their way up a wall and through a guard rail to get at you, or wildly flashing between on the ground and 3 feet above it because there is a desk or railing near them, is just much more jarring to me than when teleports go bad.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 15, 2015

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Revolver Bunker posted:

Are they only suppose to teleport when you're running away from them? Yesterday I had Sirens doing the whole Ringu/Grudge shift towards me while I was trying to gun them down.

No, the teleporting I mean is when that siren that was clearly behind you suddenly walks out the door you're heading to along with half the wave, then you get body blocked and die.

You might have been desynced, I've had that issue before with scrakes which makes parrying all but impossible.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

You realize this makes the capstone skills look even more like a bad design decision, right? ZED time really should be something the team coordinates around, instead of a random event. Let the team build up towards ZED time, let Commandos (extend ZED time) and Gunslingers (make ZED time happen faster) assist the team with ZED time boosting skills, and make it something the team plans around. Capstone skills can then really mean something for a well coordinated team, rather than near pointless gimmicks.

The more control the players have control of elements of the game, the better it is and the more depth it has. Random elements are dumb TBQH.

I don't know why, but the idea that class types effect certain parts of zed time seems to scratch an itch I didn't know I had. I really like the idea of a team managed zed time. Commandos can extend, gunslingers can reduce minimum time required between, Berzerks get a chance bonus to succesful parries, Martial Artists get chance bonus on kills within range, Demos with multikills at range, supports with mutlikills up close, etc... Basically, reward playing to a class' strength with zed time chance or time modifications.

Or maybe replace the capstone skills with zed time chance modifiers and avoid the whole issue without needing to implement something like manual zed time.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Leave ZED time as it is but make a Murder Time Massive Enemy Annihilation Time (MEAT). No bullet time, you build up as you slay zeds (or heal if Medic) and unleash pressing a button.
Each class gets its own kind of buff during this time, the level 25 (and maybe other) bonus applies to this time.
It may be activated anytime (even during ZED)

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Jul 16, 2015

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Can anybody connect to Akumos Server: open 104.156.246.12:7777 or Goon Server: open 173.199.89.138:7777? One says I have to update the other does nothing. Tired of playing with idiot pubbies.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Fighting Hans can be annoying, but god I love his voice. He has so much personality it makes fighting him more enjoyable.

Plus, I love Evil Nazi Mad Scientists thanks to Wolfenstien. :v:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

closeted republican posted:

Fighting Hans can be annoying, but god I love his voice. He has so much personality it makes fighting him more enjoyable.

COME WORMS WRIGGLE OVER HERE

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

He needs a Herr Eichhorst (from The Strain) voice pack. That guy seems to be enjoying his role far too much.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

:eyepop:

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Oh my god yes.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Oh my god, backblast? Get the Payday 2 thread on the line. We found a diamond.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Gonna buy a PhysX card for that

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Wonder what kind of off class weapon would be best for a demo since it seems like two of his weapons are really sparse on ammo.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Section Z posted:

I'm sure you all want something much more reasonable though, and not something like "Oh my god, I can't believe the Devs made it so after Scrakes see you, they will automatically rage out sixty seconds later!

Yeah that's pretty much it. Most of the slower enemies you could kind of clear out some of the chaff. With the way FP's currently are, you can't clear out any, they just see you and go berserk. After the first game, it just doesn't seem to reward the sort of tactical play me and my buddies did before. Now its just "see big guy, shoot" rather than giving us a choice.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I hope the "sometimes lose a round of ammo after visiting the shop" bug goes away by the time we get demo. It would be awful if the game decides to randomly take away a presumably expensive rocket or C4 pack.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

:sbahj: :perfect:

Would be fun if the blowback was super powerful but very short range, so a Demo strategy becomes jumping into a mass of zeds, turning around and firing the other way at some far away zeds while you instagib everything around you.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Holy poo poo.

I hope the RPG-7 has some real bite in this game. I want a single rocket to completely gently caress a Fleshpound up and turn a large group into mush with one shot. Make it the weapon the LAW was supposed to be.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

moot the hopple posted:

I hope the "sometimes lose a round of ammo after visiting the shop" bug goes away by the time we get demo. It would be awful if the game decides to randomly take away a presumably expensive rocket or C4 pack.

That would be pretty bullshit, yeah.

As for the weapons lineup itself, I think it's nice but I can understand if some wished the T1 weapon was something a bit more varied than "Another, smaller, grenade launcher". Though it would be a sorting godsend if it went to your pistol slot.

Finlands Sexiest
Feb 26, 2007

Oh man firing that thing is probably pretty dangerous around grabbing enemies

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Finlands Sexiest posted:

Oh man firing that thing is probably pretty loving awesome around grabbing enemies

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Dud rocket to the grabber's face and fuckers on the other side get blown away. :clint:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This looks cool.

Also completely and utterly useless.

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Alteisen posted:

This looks cool.

Also completely and utterly useless.

It'll be less useless with friendly fire!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
After playing KF2 for a bit, I've come to realize that Hans is pretty drat easy once you know his tricks. As long as you have good cover and some Supports, he's a piece of cake. Buying multiple AA-12s also makes things easier. The only times I've wiped to him recently is most because of the team picking bad locations to fight him, like Bioticslab's lobby.

Though, I wish people would stop playing as Commando during Hans. AA-12ing him is so much more useful than plinking him with the SCAR. :argh:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

After playing KF2 for a bit, I've come to realize that Hans is pretty drat easy once you know his tricks. As long as you have good cover and some Supports, he's a piece of cake. Buying multiple AA-12s also makes things easier. The only times I've wiped to him recently is most because of the team picking bad locations to fight him, like Bioticslab's lobby.

Though, I wish people would stop playing as Commando during Hans. AA-12ing him is so much more useful than plinking him with the SCAR. :argh:

but commando has the best kdr bro

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

I'm looking forward to firebug, but not looking forward to this general mindset regarding it being basically inevitable :downs:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Just tell them that they're playing the game wrong, be really angry about it to.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Alteisen posted:

Just tell them that they're playing the game wrong, be really angry about it to.

When in doubt, skunk out.

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived
4 pubbies out of 5 didn't know to not shoot Hans when he's invulnerable in my last game. Is it still april?

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
tripwire give update

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Martout posted:

4 pubbies out of 5 didn't know to not shoot Hans when he's invulnerable in my last game. Is it still april?

If you're in Normal, that occasionally happens.

az
Dec 2, 2005

goddamnit tripwire, how are you so slowwwwwwwww

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

RottenK posted:

tripwire give update

the update is that their graph numbers aren't changing at all because they're in the perfect equilibrium of adding just as much new work per week as they accomplish per week.

I remember hearing someone from TWI saying they wanted this thing "done" (as in out of EA) by the end of the year - anyone have a source on that? I'd like to see if I remember it correctly. I can't find it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psion posted:

the update is that their graph numbers aren't changing at all because they're in the perfect equilibrium of adding just as much new work per week as they accomplish per week.

I remember hearing someone from TWI saying they wanted this thing "done" (as in out of EA) by the end of the year - anyone have a source on that? I'd like to see if I remember it correctly. I can't find it.

You are likely thinking of the store page.

quote:

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?
“Until it’s done...
No, we're not kidding. We know we’ve all seen games hit Early Access and seemingly never get to the point of Full Release, but our goal is to have KF2 out before the end of 2015. We have to balance what is in Early Access, then incrementally add more content, re-balance, more content, re-balance, rinse-and-repeat until we have all the content in and balanced.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
“The goals for the full version are for all 10 Perks, more levels and more weapons. In addition to incorporating community feedback into our tuning and balancing we’re also working on some additional features that we plan to debut in the Full Release.

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I got excited when steam started a patch, but it's just a patch for Windows 10 :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Section Z posted:

You are likely thinking of the store page.

oh lmao they're never ever hitting what anyone would consider complete by end of 2015 at this rate

:rip: