Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

yoober posted:

I remember that being a thing and not getting it

I just thought they were a lovely Sleep/Pentagram knockoff that lucked into getting press from Pitchfork and others for a few minutes. I had no idea there was that much promotion going on behind them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What's there to get? It's just music . They have some good tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYrAF0wi8g

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's just your average run-of-the-mill elistism speaking. Somehow the "real metal fan" hivemind has decided that The Sword is a bad band, because they're "too popular" or "rip off Sabbath" or "not slamming brutal black/death/grind enough".

In other words, only goons sitting in their lonely basements care that much about hating bands.

All the rest of us just enjoy the music.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Vintersorg posted:

What's there to get? It's just music . They have some good tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTYrAF0wi8g
oh cool it's like if "rumors of war" was a slightly different bad song instead

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

It's just your average run-of-the-mill elistism speaking. Somehow the "real metal fan" hivemind has decided that The Sword is a bad band, because they're "too popular" or "rip off Sabbath" or "not slamming brutal black/death/grind enough".

In other words, only goons sitting in their lonely basements care that much about hating bands.

All the rest of us just enjoy the music.

I don't think anyone you're describing here actually exists. Perhaps some people simply don't like this band's music?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A human heart posted:

I don't think anyone you're describing here actually exists. Perhaps some people simply don't like this band's music?

And that's fine, of course taste is subjective.

But when people start talking about how some band only got big because of overpromotion and how their favorite underground darlings are soooo much better, that's when it veers into elitism.

And these people definitely exist. Read comments sections on metal news sites. Actually no, please don't.

You can just read through this thread at what people write about Ghost. Not heavy enough, too much clean singing, too theatrical, too popular etc.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 15, 2015

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

KozmoNaut posted:

But when people start talking about how some band only got big because of overpromotion and how their favorite underground darlings are soooo much better, that's when it veers into elitism.

And these people definitely exist. Read comments sections on metal news sites. Actually no, please don't.

You can just read through this thread at what people write about Ghost. Not heavy enough, too much clean singing, too theatrical, too popular etc.

For the same reasons it's hilarious when anyone in this thread slams power metal for being total cheese. Like, it totally is. But hailing Satan or Odin with death growls is just as cheesy.

Listening to metal at all makes you a cheesy loser because metal is the anime of music, just accept it and enjoy yourself already. :)

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Some of the RYM reviews of the first couple of Sword albums are so hilariously over-the-top and complaining about how they're "hipsters." I don't get it at all.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I think the Sword has cool riffs but I don't care for their singer welp that's my opinion on heavy metal band The Sword.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Hulk Krogan posted:

I think the Sword has cool riffs but I don't care for their singer welp that's my opinion on heavy metal band The Sword.

I do think if he had an ounce of charisma in his voice that they would get more respect.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

comes along bort posted:

I just thought they were a lovely Sleep/Pentagram knockoff

And here I was thinking they were a wolfmother knockoff. I'd give most Sleep knockoffs a chance.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

I don't dislike The Sword but I haven't really listened to much beyond Age of Winters (and I do really like Winter's Wolves). The new song I like well enough because it's like they've decided that what doom metal needs is Thin Lizzy-style dueling guitars and I'm pretty okay with that.

Ghost I just don't get the appeal of though, and I consider doom/sludge to be my "home" sub-genres as it were. I remember all the hype when they were first starting out and all I could think as I was listening to the first album was "holy poo poo they made the devil boring." Even then when I listened to the first track of the new album actually thought it was pretty good. :shrug:

The band that really confuses me is Pallbearer. They released an album of fairly by-the-numbers doom metal and somehow they were lauded for reinventing the sub-genre, and I like the first album quite a bit. I get that most normal people don't listen to dozens of new doom metal albums a year, but come the gently caress on.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
The Pallbearer thing was so so weird. I don't get the excessive hype around them either, also speaking as someone that likes the band.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Pallbearer came from exactly the same place that The Sword came from. Take a look at the first review by a metal publication that comes up when you google their last album.

"Pallbearer roared into 2012 with enormous expectations, being one of the most hyped new bands in years without an actual album under their belt. Sorrow and Extinction came out in February, and by the time the band had played a number of high profile showcases at SXSW three weeks later, they'd been anointed Band of the Year well before record release season was even fully in swing yet."
- http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/album-review-pallbearer-foundations-of-burden-81914

Doesn't this sound familiar? A new band hocked at an SXSW showcase? Lightweight indie/post-rockers playing "metal?" They're got a pretty solid stable of marketing and publicity folks. http://pallbearerdoom.com/contact

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think it's funny how metal bands have been so batshit idiotic and backwards about knowing how to manage themselves and promote that it's genuinely shocking to see a band handle it properly.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Maybe some of them value other things over publicity.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ahh yes, the sellout gambit. The mainstay of music discussions everywhere.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol if people think Pallbearer are actually a lucrative band just because they get buzz from non-metal publications.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Zodijackylite posted:

Pallbearer came from exactly the same place that The Sword came from. Take a look at the first review by a metal publication that comes up when you google their last album.

"Pallbearer roared into 2012 with enormous expectations, being one of the most hyped new bands in years without an actual album under their belt. Sorrow and Extinction came out in February, and by the time the band had played a number of high profile showcases at SXSW three weeks later, they'd been anointed Band of the Year well before record release season was even fully in swing yet."
- http://www.metalinjection.net/reviews/album-review-pallbearer-foundations-of-burden-81914

Doesn't this sound familiar? A new band hocked at an SXSW showcase? Lightweight indie/post-rockers playing "metal?" They're got a pretty solid stable of marketing and publicity folks. http://pallbearerdoom.com/contact

Isn't this the Profound Lore label showcase that Scion put out? The one that ends with 23 minutes of noted sellouts Yob?

Also :lol: at "metal" in quote marks.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm late to the party but I just got Defying the Rules by Hibria, and it is supreme. It's pretty much a pastiche of all the poo poo I love about power metal in the 80s and the vocalist reminds of Dio at times.

My gains are going to be so great at the gym this week.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Shakenbaker posted:

Isn't this the Profound Lore label showcase that Scion put out? The one that ends with 23 minutes of noted sellouts Yob?

Also :lol: at "metal" in quote marks.
Yeah, hate-quoted "metal" should be recognized as heavy music fandom's Micro$oft.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

Shakenbaker posted:

No, that was a different event that was held in California with a different sponsor. SXSW is a very large, prominent event in Austin, Texas.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Vargatron posted:

I'm late to the party but I just got Defying the Rules by Hibria, and it is supreme. It's pretty much a pastiche of all the poo poo I love about power metal in the 80s and the vocalist reminds of Dio at times.

My gains are going to be so great at the gym this week.

That's one of the best power metal albums I've ever heard. Too bad they went to poo poo after Skull Collectors.

What's weird is that their bassist didn't go on to another band, you'd think someone as skilled as him would be snapped up by a big prog or power act...

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Snowy posted:

And here I was thinking they were a wolfmother knockoff. I'd give most Sleep knockoffs a chance.

Come to think of it, that probably is their primary influence.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Snowy posted:

And here I was thinking they were a wolfmother knockoff.
There's a name I haven't heard since 2010 and never expected to hear again.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

I never got around to take a careful listen to Morbid Angel, wish I did that earlier. Altars of Madness :rock:

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I did an experiment today and found I'm at least a bit more motivated at the gym while listening to metal, so I'd like to keep doing it. My usual stuff for working out is like a grab bag from the Indie thread, so I'm flying blind really. If Blood and Thunder by Mastodon was my favorite that I heard on Spotify todaY what should I try tomorrow that's similar?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

RedneckwithGuns posted:

I did an experiment today and found I'm at least a bit more motivated at the gym while listening to metal, so I'd like to keep doing it. My usual stuff for working out is like a grab bag from the Indie thread, so I'm flying blind really. If Blood and Thunder by Mastodon was my favorite that I heard on Spotify todaY what should I try tomorrow that's similar?

High on Fire. Any album really.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Defiant Sally posted:

High on Fire. Any album really.

Seconded so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHgdJRNFa00

Old-school thrash metal is also a perfect choice for working out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_c3GBrWsao

Basically anything with a hard driving beat and plenty of aggression.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 16, 2015

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Vader isn't really similar to Mastodon at all, but they are by far the most ultimate metal for lifting weights. I think "Impressions in Blood" has been my chest day tape for close to 3 years now.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

RedneckwithGuns posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp_v9cWh07o

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

RedneckwithGuns posted:

Demolition Hammer, particularly the album "Epidemic of Violence".

Oh, and everything by Bolt Thrower.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any bands that just try to sound like Realm of Chaos and War Master? I could use more of that in my life.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Gamma Nerd posted:

That's one of the best power metal albums I've ever heard. Too bad they went to poo poo after Skull Collectors.

What's weird is that their bassist didn't go on to another band, you'd think someone as skilled as him would be snapped up by a big prog or power act...
Hah, I didn't even realize until now that their bassist left between Skull Collectors and Blind Ride. They might as well have just not gotten a replacement, because gently caress if the bass is actually audible in the mix nowadays. It's just the usual lovely down-tuned chugga-chugga guitar wall.

I mean, hell, they actually had a song starting with a short bass solo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKPZBugBbgg

Bands really should do summadat bass poo poo way more, or at least keep it loving audible.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

Shakenbaker posted:

I don't dislike The Sword but I haven't really listened to much beyond Age of Winters (and I do really like Winter's Wolves). The new song I like well enough because it's like they've decided that what doom metal needs is Thin Lizzy-style dueling guitars and I'm pretty okay with that.

Ghost I just don't get the appeal of though, and I consider doom/sludge to be my "home" sub-genres as it were. I remember all the hype when they were first starting out and all I could think as I was listening to the first album was "holy poo poo they made the devil boring." Even then when I listened to the first track of the new album actually thought it was pretty good. :shrug:

The band that really confuses me is Pallbearer. They released an album of fairly by-the-numbers doom metal and somehow they were lauded for reinventing the sub-genre, and I like the first album quite a bit. I get that most normal people don't listen to dozens of new doom metal albums a year, but come the gently caress on.
I feel pretty similarly. All 3 bands are in my wheelhouse enough that I check out anything they release, but I mostly gravitate to the first 2 Sword albums with some Pallbearer mixed in.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nordick posted:

Bands really should do summadat bass poo poo way more, or at least keep it loving audible.

Woah take it easy there buddy, are you trying to suggest that there's room in the mix for anything more than double bass, chugga chugga, and growls?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Please dont listen to this poo poo band for a couple reasons.

1) They rip off Arnocorps who are far superior
2) Tim Lambesis is a giant shithead who got arrested after getting caught trying to hire someone to kill his wife and is currently in jail being a loving loser.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxAhw4-TO_8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPr6LqhQBr0

I hope to hell one day I can see Arnocorps live. Their singer is awesome and really personal on Facebook.

Check this live show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V23xKhnjLh4

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Hey dudes. So I'm way into crusty OSDM/punky stuff like Black Breath and Trap Them right now. Where should I go next if I like those two?

If it helps, along those lines I love Rotten Sound and Vallenfyre. Not precisely the same wheelhouse, but close enough that I'd take recommendations in the grindcore or more death metal direction.

Bonus points for savage, throat-tearing vocal delivery and some chunky or doomy groovy bits too.

Thanks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If you like Black Breath check out older Entombed, BB straight up takes their guitar tone from them. Left Hand Path is a loving fantastic album.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

If you like Black Breath check out older Entombed, BB straight up takes their guitar tone from them. Left Hand Path is a loving fantastic album.

^ This, but also Clandestine. It doesn't get enough love because everybody (rightfully) recommends Left Hand Path.

Also it kind of goes without saying, but just in case you somehow haven't heard them: Bloodbath was basically formed so Swano and Akerfeldt and co could play that old school Swedish HM-2 metal.

Hulk Krogan fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 16, 2015