Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Serf posted:

I unironically agree with #NotAllKobolds guy.

In D&D for sure. I was tempted to post similar complaints about Unleashed here as grog. The races have a very clear distinction between cultures in that are reflected in career options. But with races as varied and vague as is in D&D its clumsy like all its mechanics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

gradenko_2000 posted:

And finally these last three:
I've also banned the quarterback, hemp (but not silk) rope and the bullseye lanterns.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mors Rattus posted:

Shannon owns rpg.net iirc and he is probably doing okay here.

I think he "only" works for Skotos, but is the main tech and admin of RPGnet.

The complaint there is pretty disingenuous anyway. If I remember right, the OSR gets a brief sidebar, even though the bulk of these books were likely being written around 2012, when there was barely anything past-tense noteworthy at all about the OSR. They got more than I would have expected. It's like complaining a history book published in 2015 doesn't extensively cover something from November 2014.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also just to clarify, Shannon is a him. People get that mixed up a lot.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Just for the record, I'm not on the side of "Y NO OSR!?" guy, but do think that, "Why isn't [bit of the hobby I'm interested in] covered in your work on the history of the hobby?" is a valid question, and that Shannon's answer, that it's too close to the present to be able to say what parts of it are relevant in a historical context yet, is good answer.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
It's not inherently a bogus question, but the way it was worded, and the fact it was crossposted on therpgsite, makes me suspicious of the asker's motives.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

inklesspen posted:

It's not inherently a bogus question, but the way it was worded, and the fact it was crossposted on therpgsite, makes me suspicious of the asker's motives.

Yes, that's why I quoted it for the amusement of grogs.txt not because I thought the asker was just an innocent little flower.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm actually pretty miffed that the guy threw in Qelong in with the rest of that.

Why? Raggi published it, it's meant to be used with Lamentations, it's part of the OSR. Being by Kenneth Hite doesn't magically make it not.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Lord posted:

Why? Raggi published it, it's meant to be used with Lamentations, it's part of the OSR. Being by Kenneth Hite doesn't magically make it not.

I meant in the sense that I think it's a far better product than the others, not that it's not part of the OSR.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

I agree that it's dumb to just gloss over the OSR (looks like Appelcline is just waiting to see what's left when the dust settles though) but I also am 100% certain that anything other than an exhaustive index of every blog and product that could be considered as such wouldn't be enough for this guy.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I also agree with the kobold guy to be fair, especially if it's a consistently held position. But then I'm also assuming D&D. Conversely, a setting where Kobolds are just innately born knowing how to make traps, like Orks are meant to know how to make hot rods and guns, would be pretty funny.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Centuries later, dedicated kobold scientists would disprove the existence of the "trap gene" and dispel generations of stereotypes and misconception.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Serf posted:

Centuries later, dedicated kobold scientists would disprove the existence of the "trap gene" and dispel generations of stereotypes and misconception.

I was more picturing tiny kobold babies making trap-playforts out of pillows and stuff, rather than centuries of systemic oppression and genocide.

Serf
May 5, 2011

spectralent posted:

I was more picturing tiny kobold babies making trap-playforts out of pillows and stuff, rather than centuries of systemic oppression and genocide.

It's cool, I'm picturing kobolds in little labcoats looking into tiny microscopes and nodding sagely as they mark things on their clipboards.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Kobolds find baby human in the woods, adopt him and teach him the way of the trapmaker; it's extra tough because he grows way too big for their equipment way too fast, but his adoptive parents press on and give him personalized huge tools when he becomes an adult (which the kobolds believe is at age 15).

When a scouting band of the invading human army goes into the kobold forest, whole trees fall on them as they advance. The kobold adoptive parents cry tears of joy.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 15, 2015

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
That's why I like alternate racial features to represent differences in upbringing. Like, maybe the bluescale kobold tribe that does all the trading with humans and goblins gets bonuses to appraise and diplomacy instead.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

paradoxGentleman posted:

Kobolds find baby human in the woods, adopt him and teach him the way of the trapmaker; it's extra tough because he grows way too big for their equipment way too fast, but his adoptive parents press on and give him personalized huge tools when he becomes an adult (which the kobolds believe is at age 15).

When a scouting band of the invading human army goes into the kobold forest, whole trees fall on them as they advance. The kobold adoptive parents cry tears of joy.

So what you're saying is someone needs to run a D&D game about Kobold Simo Häyhä?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4

Edit: or really just Pathfinder but in D&D.

Serf
May 5, 2011

To keep calling them "racial" bonuses (ugh), you should use them to model things that are inherent to the biology of that species. Dwarves getting darkvision can be a racial bonus, sure, that's just something their eyes do. Bug-people should get the Ambidextrous feat or no penalties to dual-wielding or whatever because they have extra arms. But skill bonuses seem a little weird.

Actually, does anyone have that post where the dude tries to give Renaissance European nations "racial" bonuses and ended up giving Italians a +2 to Poisons or something? That's sorta what this feels like.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

gradenko_2000 posted:

And yes, I know I know, your table, your game, your rules, you get to set the tone and the setting and you want to avoid the game going "gonzo", but it all sounds so boring to handwave away all of this stuff.

I've thought about this recently with a campaign I'm planning that's based on Arthurian legend. I want the players to all be defenders of Camelot, which is obviously a human state, so I thought about limiting the number of wacky character races and encouraging people to play human PCs. But then I thought, why can't Camelot be a cosmopolitan melting pot of fantasy races? The fact is that the purity of tone in my campaign world is only going to last until the first dick joke anyway.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

To keep calling them "racial" bonuses (ugh), you should use them to model things that are inherent to the biology of that species. Dwarves getting darkvision can be a racial bonus, sure, that's just something their eyes do. Bug-people should get the Ambidextrous feat or no penalties to dual-wielding or whatever because they have extra arms. But skill bonuses seem a little weird.

Actually, does anyone have that post where the dude tries to give Renaissance European nations "racial" bonuses and ended up giving Italians a +2 to Poisons or something? That's sorta what this feels like.

The Italian race are the closest mankind has to Orcs.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's funny because to come at this from another angle I honestly felt that Shannon Appelcine poo poo all over D&D 4e in the book. It does not get Nice Quotes.

In the section where he cites the Received Wisdom on 4e as reason for/proof of its failure, one of the failings he cites is the fact that 4e abandoned long-established D&D traditions dating back to the game's foundation... but one of the very first specific examples that he gives for such a traditional system is "skill points", a mechanic that was only present in one edition of the game.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

gtrmp posted:

In the section where he cites the Received Wisdom on 4e as reason for/proof of its failure, one of the failings he cites is the fact that 4e abandoned long-established D&D traditions dating back to the game's foundation... but one of the very first specific examples that he gives for such a traditional system is "skill points", a mechanic that was only present in one edition of the game.

Two, if you squint a bit. In AD&D 2e, you could actually assign multiple proficiency slots to a single proficiency, but there was very little reason to do so. Your first point took you from Ability/2 to Ability, and each point afterward was a +1. Regardless, dumb.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

I'm saying that I think there's room for the occasional joke setting where you play game mechanics completely straight and come up with stuff like toddlers who can craft masterwork swords, not that I think scientific racism is objectively true and the Italian nation is inherently bent towards assassination, dudes. For 95% of D&D I think decoupling cultural assumptions from the standard fantasy races would be better (fantasycraft does this pretty well by having race and... Background, I think? Either way, it serves as your "station of upbringing" modifier).

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Serf posted:

There's a bit of this in the 3.5 sourcebooks for Iron Kingdoms, although I think it was purely for physical statistics and was for fictional (if approximately mappable to real life) national/ethnic groups in the IK setting. (They have removed that from the IK RPG, I do believe, other than noting some obscure skills and abilities are typically associated with particular groups.)

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not entirely removed - there's still racial trait limits, just not ethnic ones. Some of them are really dumb and annoying, like there being intelligence limits on trollkin, who are not actually dumber than humans.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Mors Rattus posted:

Not entirely removed - there's still racial trait limits, just not ethnic ones. Some of them are really dumb and annoying, like there being intelligence limits on trollkin, who are not actually dumber than humans.
I can see them wanting to avoid "lol, trollkin warcaster is only acceptable character choice" from a playerbase possibly conditioned by 3.5. At least the derived 'intellect' stats are not things you can map directly to Intelligence Quotient, As Revealed By Professor Withersteel In His Seminal Work, "The Bell Curve, Or: Why The Non-Rhulfolk Are Inferior"

JonBolds
Feb 6, 2015

Sailor Viy posted:

I've thought about this recently with a campaign I'm planning that's based on Arthurian legend. I want the players to all be defenders of Camelot, which is obviously a human state, so I thought about limiting the number of wacky character races and encouraging people to play human PCs. But then I thought, why can't Camelot be a cosmopolitan melting pot of fantasy races? The fact is that the purity of tone in my campaign world is only going to last until the first dick joke anyway.

Serious Question: Why not use Pendragon? It is an excellent game and does exactly this.

"Because I want players to be wizards n' poo poo" is a perfectly fine answer.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I also insist on running with stuff from the core books only. This is the first campaign for half of my group, and I wanted things to be simple without the bullshit Half-dragon/Half-Warforged Soulknife6/Shield Knight4/Black Warden4 style of characters.

quote:

[5e] I don't allow Druids at my table. I RARELY see a non-cliche Druid and I'm tired of dealing with the "Parents died, raised in forest" bullshit. Until I banned the Druid one of the PCs only played a Druid or multi-classed as a Druid. It got really tired, really fast.

quote:

Soft ban on good drow. If you can convince me you're willing to play one with all of the baggage that entails, I'll allow it. No one has yet.

quote:

Centaurs.

A while ago, I was playing in a campaign, and one of the players was a Centaur Warblade. She didn't really have any backstory for her character, and the only thing we can really remember about her character is that she had something ridiculous like +35 to Jump checks. So, when we started up another campaign later (said player wasn't in this one because I wouldn't let her play a Pathfinder class in a 3.5 campaign), when the others would ask me if such and such character idea was okay, there were many joking "Daaanmoooo, can I be a Centaur <some class> that jumps a lot?"

So now, any time I'm DMing, I manage to shoehorn in some story of some war that centaurs fought with some other forest race that ended in the centaur race getting completely wiped out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Oh no, not a +35 to Jump checks

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

The gradual increase in crazyness is a touch of class, gradenko.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I'm just imagining a GM gradually getting increasingly frustrated as all his plans are repeatedly foiled by a jumping centaur and it's pretty great. Just this super-excited centaur bouncing all over the place while the GM gets red in the face, crumpling up yet another set of notes that took him hours to write, all because of that cursed +35 to Jump checks, you like centaurs huh, well I'LL SHOW YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Hey guys!

*BOING*

Check it out guys!

*BOING*

Check out what I can do!

*BOING*

Are you watching?

*BOING*

Oh my god, Debbie, we are trying to have a serious game here.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
genocide of a race because they jump too high is a little harsh, i think

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

I'm just imagining a GM gradually getting increasingly frustrated as all his plans are repeatedly foiled by a jumping centaur and it's pretty great. Just this super-excited centaur bouncing all over the place while the GM gets red in the face, crumpling up yet another set of notes that took him hours to write, all because of that cursed +35 to Jump checks, you like centaurs huh, well I'LL SHOW YOU

Frankly, the super-jumping solves the one major logistical problem that came up in the one game I was in with a centaur PC: how the hell do they do ladders? It's more amusing to imagine them doing sweet-rear end straight vertical jumps than our actual solution, "just don't think about the ladder-horse."

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
One of the cool things I found with 3.5-clone Legend RPG is that they take 3.5's "there is a deterministic DC for any given action" and just run with it:

quote:

Jumping: Once per [Round], you may make an Acrobatics skill check to jump over an obstacle or jump high into the air.

DC 10: Cross a fast stream without getting your boots wet.

DC 15: Jump from one roof to another, with a narrow alley separating them.

DC 20: Jump from one roof to another, across a street. Alternatively, vault an ogre-proof fence.

DC 25: Leap onto the back of a charging war elephant. You gain the Fly movement mode for one [Round] (You may immediately use a free action to lift off, gaining the [Flying] condition.). At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying] and do not possess the Fly movement mode, you suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM. You may not make a new Acrobatics check to continue your fight without something to jump from.

DC 30: Leap onto a flying skeletal dragon to confront the lich riding it. Ideally, have some way to get back down in an emergency. You gain the Fly movement mode for two [Rounds]. (You may immediately use a free action to lift off, gaining the [Flying] condition.) At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying] and do not possess the Fly movement mode, you suffer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM.

DC 35: “Neo’s doing his Superman thing again.” You gain [Flying] for 3 [Rounds]. You may not make new Acrobatics checks to continue your fight without something to jump from, but if you fail you fall and take 5d6 damage.” with “You gain the Fly movement mode for three [Rounds]. (You may immediately use a free action to lift off, gaining the [Flying] condition.) At the beginning of your turn, if you are [Flying] and do not possess the Fly movement mode, you sufer a Trivial Fall, Hazardous Fall, or Dramatic Plunge, as determined by the GM.

Your Balance checks can also be high enough to let you walk on falling snowflakes, or your Burglary checks can get high enough to let you bypass a modern-day biometrics scanner.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kai Tave posted:

Oh no, not a +35 to Jump checks

No but you see, this centaur can leap up to thirteen feet high. THIRTEEN feet! And they can do that ALL DAY LONG. And the poor neglected Wizard with Overland Flight can merely fly to any distance for you know what I'll get back to you on this one...

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Serf posted:

Spreading the person's name around to incite harassment or to draw down the ire of certain people listed in the post who could rile up their fans?

Funny thing is, I believe Jez Gordon when he says harassment wasn't his goal (because I'm some kind of trusting dullard), and it still managed to do just that.

https://plus.google.com/+JezGordon/posts/3SGQMw5MCB1

Because of course it did.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Wow, Zak S complaining about harrasment. Talk about irony.
Also:

quote:

Shannon Appelcline Has openly committed harassment & libel and openly employs people who've harassed the women in my game group & I. Volunteers at RPGnet include Kai Tave, Paul Matijevic / Paul Ettin (both admitted Something Awful trolls, one of whom openly promoted a lie about rape "for giggles"), and Stephen Lea Sheppard.
What is he talking about exactly?

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 16, 2015

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

After reading that G+ thread I'm going to have to disagree with the idea that Gordon wanted Appelcline to get harassed. I'm sorry, but tagging someone in a complaint about their work isn't harassment, stealth or otherwise, even if you don't agree with their criticism, or if you think it's shitheaded. Now if Appelcline starts talking about how people are sending him threats or weirdo sea lioning, then maybe we have something.

That being said between the "Oh my stars Lamentations was left out!" tone (even if I liked LotFP I'd agree) and someone using "Big Purple" it's prime grogs.txt fodder.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jul 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, it's kind of hard for me to understand because I am not familiar with what exactly they are talking about here (the only thing I get is that Appelcline apparently made some sort of history of something called OSR and didn't add the contributions of certain persons) but my impression is that the guy just wanted to get some perspective from different sources.

Zak's danger and effect on game communities isn't quite as obvious as you make it out to be.

• Locked thread