Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
So Patrician succession is bugged for tribals -> republic realms... again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I started a game somewhere as the high chief of Volhynia. After a couple of years of kicking rear end and taking lands, I've formed the kingdom of Ruthenia. Playing as pagan is fun :) Anyway, I should probably switch my culture to Russian and try to form the empire of Russia I guess? Don't really know which direction to go at the moment (I don't own the Horse Lords DLC btw).

By the way, I totally screwed up those event stacks you can get for 500 prestige. I forgot like 3-4 times that they'll disappear when you're at peace. Yeah...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Jedit posted:

So, is this DLC worth paying full whack for, or should I wait for a sale?

I'd wait. The mechanics are fun but it's very ctd prone at the moment.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
So do forts built in your own territory prevent raids or otherwise do something productive aside from what the tooltip says?

Edit: definitely don't prevent raids.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 15, 2015

Hadaka Apron
Feb 12, 2015

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

So Patrician succession is bugged for tribals -> republic realms... again.

Yeah, I didn't get the new DLC and my expected successor is from another house even though my heir has much more respect.

LaSalsaVerde
Mar 3, 2013

So far so good. The horde mechanics are like the perfect blend between tribes and republics, and I honestly can't see myself playing anywhere outside of the steppes for the next several games.

That said, the fact that Manichaeism has no mechanics seems like less of a nuisance and more of an actual problem now that the Uyghurs are present in all their glory. Especially since the fuckers keep taunting me with missionaries. I guess they make for a decent Zoroastrian game, but otherwise? :shrug: The proximity of Buddhism at least makes for some neat horde possibilities along with Zoroastrianism, Judaism in the Old Gods start, and maybe Zunism if you can haul rear end to Afghanistan.

Is that Monotheism Rising mod any good? I tried it once and it crashed anytime I played as a Jewish ruler, so I never really formed an opinion on it.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Fuligin posted:

It is? Only thing I've seen are CTD's caused by mods or corrupt game folders (i.e quick and dirty modding).
I would love to know what you do to consistently make the game CTD?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Fuligin posted:

I had the observer game running at full speed for next to 9 hours while I was away at work. It was still running when I got back. Seems pretty stable to me.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groogy posted:

It is? Only thing I've seen are CTD's caused by mods or corrupt game folders (i.e quick and dirty modding).

Windows had to update

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Fuligin posted:

I haven't had a crash yet, FWIW. I think a lot of the problems people are having are with continuing old saves? Don't be a silly and continue old saves. Also, I am having a lot of fun being a big stompy horde stomping things and teaching those drat agriculturalists how to eat poo poo.

Also also, I just ran a pair of hands-off test games in 2.3.6 and 2.4.1 for 150 years each, trying to see what Groogy's performance gains have amounted to. The results are... not reassuring:

1.1.769 -> 2.1.794 in 15:48 (average 9.63 ticks/s; 1hr, 03m and 12s per century)
2.1.794 -> 1.1.819 in 22:57 (average 6.63 ticks/s; 1hr, 31m and 49s per century)
1.1.819 -> 2.1.844 in 26:29 (average 5.74 ticks/s; 1hr, 45m and 55s per century)
2.1.844 -> 12.3.869 in 29:03 (average 5.27 ticks/s; 1hr, 55m and 20s per century)
12.3.869 -> 1.1.894 in 31:34 (average 4.78 ticks/s; 2hr, 7m and 15s per century)
1.1.894 -> 1.1.919 in 32:44 (average 4.65 ticks/s; 2hr, 10m and 56s per century)

Average 5.75 ticks/s over 150 years.

1.1.769 -> 8.1.794 in 18:20 (average 8.30 ticks/s; 1hr, 13m and 17s per century)
8.1.794 -> 9.1.819 in 22:26 (average 6.78 ticks/s; 1hr, 29m and 43s per century)
9.1.819 -> 2.1.844 in 26:50 (average 5.66 ticks/s; 1hr, 47m and 25s per century)
2.1.844 -> 1.1.869 in 30:24 (average 5.00 ticks/s; 2hr, 01m and 37s per century)
1.1.869 -> 2.1.894 in 32:06 (average 4.74 ticks/s; 2hr, 08m and 23s per century)
2.1.894 -> 1.1.919 in 34:35 (average 4.40 ticks/s; 2hr, 18m and 21s per century)

Average 5.54 ticks/s over 150 years.

The difference (3.7%) is, a), in favour of 2.3.6, and b), so small as to be well within the margin of error. As far as I can tell, exactly nothing has changed vis a vis performance. Actually, I'm half-convinced that I didn't roll back to 2.3.6 properly.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Only using 10% of your available manpower for creating a mercenary company seems a bit harsh. Either increasing the percentage or making it max manpower(and still taking the actual amount out of available) would help. Should probably block mercenary companies from being formed below a certain amount of manpower too, having a mountain of 50 unit mercenaries run around kind of makes the shortcomings of the military/mercenary interface really really obvious. Also spending 25 gold to get 5% more troops means that a mercenary company would have to spend tens of thousands of gold just to get a decently sized unit. It's practically worthless.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Groogy posted:

I stopped playing for today because in my game as a horde to settled Kkhanate it keeps ctding within a few years of my last save. I've had one or two crashes on startup, and in my Karakhanid game in which I was killed off very quickly by neighbors it ctd'd when I tried to exit from the retirement menu. I'll pay closer attention to see if I can pinpoint exactly what the error is for my save, but I'm not running any mods or using console or anything.

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Is it normal for their patches to break saves? I don't play the game much, admittedly, but it's really throwing me off trying to play when my ironman save gets corrupted for the second time.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Aeble posted:

Is it normal for their patches to break saves? I don't play the game much, admittedly, but it's really throwing me off trying to play when my ironman save gets corrupted for the second time.

Most patches don't; it's big ones like this that overhaul something or expand the map that ruin old saves.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Aeble posted:

Provinces were added to the game, a new government type was added, a bunch of events were rewritten to reference a new region mechanic rather than de jure realms... yeah, it'll bust up your save something fierce.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

(v 2.3.6, family focus)

I love my dead gay son.

Pivotal Lever fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jul 15, 2015

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Groogy posted:

It depends on the machine, most of my optimizations that are immediately noticeable are improvements by making stuff more multi-threaded which means if you are running a old laptop with dual-core(if anyone still runs that which I doubt) you are probably not going to benefit that much until you get later into the game.

Hm, well, I do have a quad-core, crappy albeit it may be (i7 3610QM @ 2.30GHz). Guess I'll have to play a longer game to see how the long-term performance goes.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Fuligin posted:

I stopped playing for today because in my game as a horde to settled Kkhanate it keeps ctding within a few years of my last save. I've had one or two crashes on startup, and in my Karakhanid game in which I was killed off very quickly by neighbors it ctd'd when I tried to exit from the retirement menu. I'll pay closer attention to see if I can pinpoint exactly what the error is for my save, but I'm not running any mods or using console or anything.

Report it on the Pdx bug forum

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Autonomous Monster posted:

Also also, I just ran a pair of hands-off test games in 2.3.6 and 2.4.1 for 150 years each, trying to see what Groogy's performance gains have amounted to. The results are... not reassuring:

Tell me what kind of setup you have

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Deleting the fogofwar.dds file from map/terrain and setting trees and draw_citysprawl to no in settings improved my performance a bit.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Groogy posted:

Tell me what kind of setup you have

Right, sorry, forgot. Win 7 64-bit Pro, i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz, 8GB DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz, MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G @ 1114MHz Core/1753MHz Memory.

e: Something odd did happen in the 2.3.6 game: the Abbablob exploded. Maybe that cut down on castration madness?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Back To 99 posted:

Deleting the fogofwar.dds file from map/terrain and setting trees and draw_citysprawl to no in settings improved my performance a bit.

I've found that pounding the world flat (i.E. editing topology.bmp and world_normal_height.bmp in the map folder to be a solid color) also seems to help a bit, though I'm not sure if that's just my imagination or not.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

2.36 is the version before the current one yeah?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
is there any drawback to just eating land as a horde until my major clans revolt and then absorbing them all?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Moridin920 posted:

is there any drawback to just eating land as a horde until my major clans revolt and then absorbing them all?

I think the "new clan emerges" form of revolt spawns a large number of event troops iirc, which can really put a dent in your horde and make you vulnerable.

Also there's no way to pillage baronies right, you can only pillage the county capital and then hold the remainder as vassals?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, you get some serious cash for pillaging a sizeable area as a horde. I conquered Khiva and burned all the holdings there to ground, which netted me about 13-14k.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

Groogy posted:

I've gotten a CTD every time I resign game and click quit to go to the main menu.

Does anyone know of a way to work around the patrician system bugging out and forgetting your heirs? It's really putting a damper on my Somali trade republic playthrough.

Antifa Spacemarine fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 16, 2015

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
What happens if you burn down the temple in a holy site?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

So now that we have the outer fringes of the Yuan Dynasty on the map, guess who's hanging out with Kublai Khan around 1280.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Broken Cog posted:

Is it your holy site? Switch religions then find out.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

Goofballs posted:

2.36 is the version before the current one yeah?

I think so!

Broken Cog posted:

The county title becomes the holy site until a new temple holding is constructed, then it switches to that. It's in the patch notes, if you want to check.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

What's going on with prestige here? Retinues are maxed out and they're all cavalry. Can't figure it out.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Funky Valentine posted:

So now that we have the outer fringes of the Yuan Dynasty on the map, guess who's hanging out with Kublai Khan around 1280.

It's so weird to have Mongolia without China.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Funky Valentine posted:

This rules.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

If only there was a way to do Tibet without making it look like a total eyesore (see: the Lux Invicta map).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

TTBF posted:

What's going on with prestige here? Retinues are maxed out and they're all cavalry. Can't figure it out.

The light cav horde units cost prestige to hire/reinforce/maintain.

Presumably to give cash-poor hordes a way to get a foot on the ladder.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TTBF posted:

Some retinues cost prestige instead of ducats.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

Also there's no way to pillage baronies right, you can only pillage the county capital and then hold the remainder as vassals?

You can pillage anything you own. All you have to do to pillage the other holdings is revoke them from whatever guy holds them(which as a Nomad is basically free other than the prestige cost because the other Khans could not possibly give less of a poo poo about what you do to anyone else.)

Basically you just park your horde on the holding to immediately stomp anyone who tries to rebel and then revoke all the cities/temples/castles and pillage them.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

TTBF posted:

I won't play until the hotfix , but does retinues cost prestige for nomads or something maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Ok, that seemed to answer it. Thanks guys.

• Locked thread