Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Babe Magnet posted:

When a water tile is next to a half-block, or if water ends just before a drop-off, it creates a little waterfall of whatever liquid type/color the water is made of. You'll see these all the time underground. They're just decoration, they won't hurt you. You won't drown in them, and the lava ones won't burn you.
Thanks duder. I'll play around with that once I got down to hell

Also, Gemspark blocks did the trick on the eyes for now

Looks a bit better during the day, but whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tin Tim posted:

Elaborate pls. I'm a filthy casual

You can hammer blocks to change their shape. First hammering on a regular block will "squish" it to the bottom half of the square it's in. Liquids on the side of the block then create a (purely aesthetic) waterfall effect.

Wyvernil posted:

Meteorite bricks might make a good substitute until then.

Meteorite bricks don't glow on the sides which they are attached to another block on, sadly.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Okay, first encounter with Moon Lord went about as well as I expected. I have my very own spacewhale now, though! How big do I make a minecart track for kiting around ML? I'd like to take him down next time around.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks duder. I'll play around with that once I got down to hell

Also, Gemspark blocks did the trick on the eyes for now

Looks a bit better during the day, but whatever

When you get to the dungeon you should loot some alchemy lanterns and put them in the eyes.

Cador_2004
Oct 13, 2012
Might I suggest Demonite Ore? It should provide just enough light to make the eyes visible at night.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RatHat posted:

Ugh, only gold animals I need now are a mouse and frog. Finding a gold frog is gonna be loving impossible though since it'll get killed as soon as it spawns. At least mice are immune to mobs so I only have to worry about it walking into lava.

Dogg, Golden Bug Net from the fisherman. It doesn't do any damage, but it cuts background objects like a weapon.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Annoyingly, frogs and mice don't spawn out of background objects.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Do darts count as bullets or arrows for the Shroomite Set's bonus?

The White Dragon posted:

Dogg, Golden Bug Net from the fisherman. It doesn't do any damage, but it cuts background objects like a weapon.

I have that. It doesn't help me locate gold animals any faster.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Supremezero posted:

There's also now little droppers that you can make that make the bottom of a surface drip a liquid.

to elaborate, the wizard sells empty droppers and you craft them into lava/water/honey droppers by standing next to the respective pool of liquid

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I was running around collecting mushroom stuff to make a biome for the shroome man and saw a truffle worm.

I didn't have my bug net because I already had more regular bait than I'd ever need. :sigh:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The lifeform analyzer tracks golden critters so I always carry a net with me to swipe them. Easy 10 gold most of the time.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Qylvaran posted:

Man, 17 Stardust Fragments. This means I have to beat the Nebula Pillar before I can make one of the summon items. Stardust Dragon is my best option, right?

For boss fighting, absolutely without question yes. For large groups of enemies or general spelunking, I actually prefer the stardust cells. If there are a ton of enemies around, the dragon tends to stay in (or just off the edge of) one part of the screen for a while, leaving you open to attacks from the other side. Doesn't really happen with 8+ cells wandering around.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

symbolic posted:

Stardust Dragon is the only summoning item you will ever need ever again.

there is no reason not to also use the Rainbow Crystal staff. :colbert:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Excelzior posted:

there is no reason not to also use the Rainbow Crystal staff. :colbert:

And Lunar Portal Staff.

And Frost Hydra and Queen Spider. Though by that point you're getting a little ridiculous, so just Rainbow and Lunar are good.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Dangersense potions make the Jungle Temple hilariously trivial now, especially with the Wire cutters' longer range.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

Does anyone else feel slightly bothered that your end game weapons are the same as everyone else's? They're really cool and fun and all but I can't help but wish there was a feature to maybe bring up the damage of a favorite lower rank weapon. Gate it behind drops from each boss and let you craft a luminite bar with your piss rain spell to boost the damage up by some ratio.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The moon lord dropping a "Soul of the Moon", item that can be rubbed against an old weapon to make it as strong as the end ones would have been neat.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, the one negative thing about the progression in the game is that once you cap out there's literally no variance at all. it's just the same stuff across the board.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I would very much love LASERS to be relevant at all times, yes.

I only have the space gun in Normal Mode, but already I know I will be sad when it has outlived it's usefulness. Even if it never had the option of infinite ammo while wearing meteor armor.

For giggles I tried fighting the Eye of Cthuulu with my Phase Saber and the AHK mousespam bit. Oh my gently caress, even with my Meteor helmet off and no mana refill potions (if some stars in jars) the space gun was so much better. My Silver Scepter was better (damage=my space gun due to modifiers).

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 15, 2015

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Expert mode was A Good Thing to add in, I think. Bosses are about a billion times harder, but I feel like most of the difficulty is in the early game. I usually drop the Eye without an arena around Iron equipment or so, and kill Eater shortly afterwards. On Expert, I couldn't handle Eye until Meteor armor, and then it took an arena with some preparation. I got Crimson in my new Expert world, and so I wasn't particularly experienced at killing the Brain--it was difficult. Apparently the Expert mode version of the Brain isn't that different, though? Downed it around my third attempt.

Queen Bee took me quite some time, and I couldn't handle her until after I had Molten armor, and got lucky with a medusa head. With enough patience, the medusa head kills her pretty well, with the side benefit of dealing with her adds. (Coincidentally, the medusa head completely trivializes stage 1 of the Brain fight. :v: ) Again, I don't think that the Queen Bee fight changes much in Expert mode?

gently caress Skeletron, though. Probably over a dozen attempts before I figured out the best way to deal with the skull-spitting stage.

Now I'm preparing to take down the Wall, and I'm not sure how big of a runway I'll need. I know it was a good idea to use dirt for your hellbridge before (for relatively easy crystal harvesting), but I think ash would be better to make the wall an easier target--the extra health makes me nervous in killing the Wall before I run out of bridge. And I don't want to make a super long bridge.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Why would ash make the wall an easier target than dirt would?

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

Expert plantera is gonna take some time for me. Most of that time will be locating the bulbs and building arenas though.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The Wall places its eyes and mouth between ash blocks so theoretically you could make a corridor that would make the wall stop moving around and/or shove all three damageable parts into a small corridor that would make them easier targets.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

So is there an efficient way to get rid of your old buildings? That 10 story wood tower I made for my first NPC wave is cramping the style of my new home, and I don't really look forward to busting it down with tools.

Also, any tips on where you can locate marble caves? I need to explode another batch of marble blocks for my future constructions.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Tin Tim posted:

So is there an efficient way to get rid of your old buildings? That 10 story wood tower I made for my first NPC wave is cramping the style of my new home, and I don't really look forward to busting it down with tools.

Also, any tips on where you can locate marble caves? I need to explode another batch of marble blocks for my future constructions.

Dynamite. Or Explosives or Rocket Launchers if you have them.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Tin Tim posted:

Explosives!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
I'm doing expert with a fresh character and I was stumped on wall of flesh for a while. The solution turned out to be Demon Scythe for me, it's the only pre-hardmode weapon with both piercing and a wide area hit, which made it a lot easier to keep the hungry under control and hit the wall mouths more reliably.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

YF-23 posted:

Explosives!
*furiously takes notes*

But won't that leave a lot of background tiles up?

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Mzbundifund posted:

I wondered the same thing, and according to the wiki the Wall's vertical position is determined by nearby ash blocks (or lack thereof). It says if your flat highway is made of ash, the Wall won't move up or down.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tin Tim posted:

*furiously takes notes*

But won't that leave a lot of background tiles up?

If any part of the explosion hits a tile with no backdrop, it also removes the backdrop from the entire thing.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Gonna craft all the sticky bombs then. Thx!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Tin Tim posted:

Gonna craft all the sticky bombs then. Thx!

You can make sticky dynamite now. :getin:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ugh, I wish there was a way to craft Guide Voodoo Dolls.

Tin Tim posted:

Hit Ctrl. It'll toggle Smart Cursor which is extremely handy for destroying(and placing) walls. It'll only target walls in your line of sight too, so you don't have to worry about hitting the wall on an adjacent building.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Metos posted:

Just don't care about it, certain bosses when you kill them slow it down dramatically, and once you're a little ways into hard mode you can buy an item to convert it back in mass amounts.

not gonna work for me... there's about three or four blocks between my two corruptions for my surface jungle.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Keiya posted:

not gonna work for me... there's about three or four blocks between my two corruptions for my surface jungle.

It takes the corruption an extremely long time to convert even a small amount of jungle - in order to convert it it has to randomly remove the jungle grass and then randomly convert the now-bare mud into dirt before the jungle grows back over it.

The corruption will not eat your jungle unless you leave your computer on running terraria 24/7 for weeks.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I thought it was that Hallow/Corruption/Crimson flat out cannot convert Jungle/Mud blocks now?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i dunno about that. i know that chlorophyte can prevent the spread of poo poo now, so if nothing else the lower jungle will never be converted

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I thought it was that Hallow/Corruption/Crimson flat out cannot convert Jungle/Mud blocks now?

Only Hallow is incapable of doing this, I believe.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I know at the very least, if I buffer ANYTHING pre hard mode, it's gonna be my Western ocean on principle. I got about 30 tiles of combined desert and beach sand between the edge of a corrupting desert and the ocean. My first meteor hit a handful of tiles from splashdown, I had to carefully avoid flooding the meteor crater with ocean while digging out about half of it.

My tiny baby small world.

Ocean. Corruption. Dungeon. Corruption. Snow. Spawn. Proper Desert. Grassland. Jungle. Ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
Expert mode should add back that brief time when mud randomly fell on you and damaged the hell out of you :choco: