Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Chinatown posted:

They're gone bro.

Cool analysis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Elephanthead posted:

This makes me never want to go to San Diego.

I was in San Diego this weekend and it was great but it took me 4 hours to get back to LA because the 5 is the worst highway in the world.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I was in San Diego this weekend and it was great but it took me 4 hours to get back to LA because the 5 is the worst highway in the world.

gently caress the 5

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Ross Angeles posted:

gently caress the 5

gently caress the 15, too

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

gently caress the 15, too

Agreedo

Zypher
Sep 3, 2009

Rutgers

Your 2006
Mythical National
Champions!

Traffic's never great, but it's on you if you expected anything less driving back to LA on Comic Con weekend

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Its almost like every Los Angeleno escapes the shithole known as LA for San Diego every weekend and clogs up the 5.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Highway 5 is neat because you can tell what part of the state people are from by their opinion of it.

Southern California it's a garbage parking lot
Central Valley & Bay it's a never ending stretch of cow farts
Right around Red Bluff it becomes cruising through redwoods.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Spoeank posted:

Highway 5 is neat because you can tell what part of the state people are from by their opinion of it.

Southern California it's a garbage parking lot
Central Valley & Bay it's a never ending stretch of cow farts
Right around Red Bluff it becomes cruising through redwoods.

My contact with the National Park Service is causing this post to trigger me because the first thing I noticed about it is the fact that there aren't any redwoods along I-5.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Spoeank posted:

The 5 doesn't get enjoyable until you hit Weed heading North.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Zurreco posted:

The 5 doesn't get enjoyable until you hit Weed heading North.

I lived in Portland. gently caress the 5.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
You can also tell if a person is scum by whether or not they refer to it as I-5 or TW: the 5.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Look I had a busy day yesterday ojay

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Boltman: Well, I'm grateful, not only for your goose bumps, but for your interest in -- in our kind of communication. Could I tell you the words of one of the songs, which I feel is very important?

Senator Pastore: Yes.

Boltman: This has to do with that good feeling of control which I feel that children need to know is there. And it starts out, "What do you do with the mad that you feel?" And that first line came straight from a child. I work with children doing puppets in -- in very personal communication with small groups:

San Diego Super Chargers,
San Diego Chargers!
San Diego Super Chargers,
San Diego Chargers!
Charge!

We're coming your way,
We're gonna dazzle you with our super play.
The time has come,
You know we're shooting for number one.
With thunderbolts and lightning
We'll light up the sky,
We'll give it all we've got, and more
With the Super Charger try!

Senator Pastore: I think it's wonderful. I think it's wonderful. Looks like you just earned the new stadium.

--Y'all better get this reference

Kalli fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 15, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kalli posted:

--Y'all better get this reference

Mr. Rogers was amazing and I'm extremely sad that he died.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXEuEUQIP3Q

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
What a clown show lol but good on San Diego trying to lock down that team. It would really suck if they lost them to Los Angeles but something something attendance

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

AAA DOLFAN posted:

What a clown show lol but good on San Diego trying to lock down that team. It would really suck if they lost them to Los Angeles but something something attendance

It is hard to imagine LA being any more dedicated unless the Chargers are actually playoff caliber.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Ross Angeles posted:

I lived in Portland. gently caress the 5.

The only place the 5 is interesting in Oregon is southern Oregon when it has to go through the mountains. Otherwise it's just a big boring empty flat valley highway.

Highway 101 is the best

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Febreeze posted:

Highway 101 is the best

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Psh, El Camino Real is the only true way to get to Oakland from San Diego.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Last Week Tonight on Stadiums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

I pretty much completely agree and have come down on the side of "gently caress the Chargers. You guys suck anyway, have never won a Super Bowl, only been once, and what have you done for us lately? Enjoy Carson. Try not to get stabbed."

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

:rolleyes:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

Psh, El Camino Real is the only true way to get to Oakland from San Diego.

So...101 then

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ron Jeremy posted:

So...101 then

101 will only get you to DTLA.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

pathetic little tramp posted:

Last Week Tonight on Stadiums:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcwJt4bcnXs

I pretty much completely agree and have come down on the side of "gently caress the Chargers. You guys suck anyway, have never won a Super Bowl, only been once, and what have you done for us lately? Enjoy Carson. Try not to get stabbed."

you labeled this wrong. it should be "jon oliver DESTROYS public stadium financing. you gotta watch this!!" or some poo poo.

also who gives a poo poo? the owners aren't going to pay for the entire thing and there are cities all over the US chomping at the bit for a pro sports team. is it ideal? nope. is every rear end in a top hat posting these videos the people who haven't had their team threaten to move? pretty much!

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
cities are free to elect people that will better protect their interests

they won't though because the billionaires also bankroll the political campaigns lmao

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Cities have always done things like buy stadiums, opera houses, chariot tracks, theaters, and on and on for other people to use that aren't the city. Gaius Marius Procyon sure didn't pay for the Flavian Amphitheater, but I'm sure the FIghting Iceni made him some money. If that's what a city chooses to spend its money on, that's what it spends its money on. So what if its unprofitable? Parks don't turn a profit either, but no one complains about those.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

TubeStank posted:

also who gives a poo poo? the owners aren't going to pay for the entire thing and there are cities all over the US chomping at the bit for a pro sports team. is it ideal? nope. is every rear end in a top hat posting these videos the people who haven't had their team threaten to move? pretty much!

My teams vaguely threatened to move over renovations and the city built an arena with no permanent team (and almost certainly won't ever get one). I pretty much agree with all of that stuff :shrug:

e: I worded this terribly, I meant I agree with the dumb video. I don't agree with building arenas and never getting a team or patching up 40 year old stadiums when the problem is just going to come up again in a few years, although that might be preferable to building completely new stadiums and closing even more schools or whatever.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 17, 2015

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Sash! posted:

Cities have always done things like buy stadiums, opera houses, chariot tracks, theaters, and on and on for other people to use that aren't the city. Gaius Marius Procyon sure didn't pay for the Flavian Amphitheater, but I'm sure the FIghting Iceni made him some money. If that's what a city chooses to spend its money on, that's what it spends its money on. So what if its unprofitable? Parks don't turn a profit either, but no one complains about those.

Sports teams are profitable thought.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Sash! posted:

Where do you live that people don't complain about spending on parks?

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

The problem is that NFL teams can afford to pay for their own stadiums while still being insanely profitable. There is no reason for them to get government handouts.

Tell you what, sash, I've seen enough of your posts that I'm comfortable assuming you're not ok with people getting government handouts, like welfare. Especially not if they go blow their money on drugs and spinning rims for their cars, amiright? (If my dog whistle is hurting your ears then I apologize, I had you wrong and you're apparently a better human being then you present yourself as online.) Why should billionaire owners get to be on welfare, blinging out their stadiums and using their money on fancy cars they don't need? Why should drug addicts and dealers like Jim Irsay get their habit funded by money that could be better spent on something like, I dunno, parks?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bip Roberts posted:

Sports teams are profitable thought.

For the city? I thought the idea was that they're not for the city profitable. Profitable to someone else.

King Hong Kong posted:

Where do you live that people don't complain about spending on parks?

Somewhere that apparently cares about parks!

Chichevache posted:

The problem is that NFL teams can afford to pay for their own stadiums while still being insanely profitable. There is no reason for them to get government handouts.

Tell you what, sash, I've seen enough of your posts that I'm comfortable assuming you're not ok with people getting government handouts, like welfare. Especially not if they go blow their money on drugs and spinning rims for their cars, amiright? (If my dog whistle is hurting your ears then I apologize, I had you wrong and you're apparently a better human being then you present yourself as online.) Why should billionaire owners get to be on welfare, blinging out their stadiums and using their money on fancy cars they don't need? Why should drug addicts and dealers like Jim Irsay get their habit funded by money that could be better spent on something like, I dunno, parks?

I agree that they should be paid for by the teams themselves and don't like cities paying for those facilities, but if the locality chooses to spend money on it...that's what they chose to spend money on, I guess. I've got somewhat more complicated and unrealistic thoughts on the matter (frankly, I wish the cities owned the teams, but boy that probably would not end well). There's such a long tradition of cities financing venues for all sorts of things that it doesn't seem out of sorts for putting up the money for a stadium, but the end result is far less...useful, I guess, than it should be for a public venture. I'm not sure how you could fairly and equitably divide up using a football stadium, compared to a theater that you can schedule for your community production.

Also, my opinion on the other thing skews more towards drugs and gun racks for their lifted trucks, because that's the sort of thing I grew up around. :v:

Sash! fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jul 17, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Sash! posted:

For the city? I thought the idea was that they're not for the city profitable. Profitable to someone else.

Somewhere that apparently cares about parks!

I agree that they should be paid for by the teams themselves and don't like cities paying for those facilities, but if the locality chooses to spend money on it...that's what they chose to spend money on, I guess. I've got somewhat more complicated and unrealistic thoughts on the matter (frankly, I wish the cities owned the teams, but boy that probably would not end well). There's such a long tradition of cities financing venues for all sorts of things that it doesn't seem out of sorts for putting up the money for a stadium, but the end result is far less...useful, I guess, than it should be for a public venture. I'm not sure how you could fairly and equitably divide up using a football stadium, compared to a theater that you can schedule for your community production.

Also, my opinion on the other thing skews more towards drugs and gun racks for their lifted trucks, because that's the sort of thing I grew up around. :v:

Well this is a much better response than I expected and I don't really disagree with any of it. :monocle:

I really do wish cities owned teams instead of private individuals. It would make fandom feel a lot more genuine and important than it does now. Parking lot fights between the Jed York supporters and the Mark Davis supporters just doesn't have the same flavor as Dead Rabbits vs. Natives.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Chichevache posted:

Well this is a much better response than I expected and I don't really disagree with any of it. :monocle:

I really do wish cities owned teams instead of private individuals. It would make fandom feel a lot more genuine and important than it does now. Parking lot fights between the Jed York supporters and the Mark Davis supporters just doesn't have the same flavor as Dead Rabbits vs. Natives.

And now you finally understand SEC Football

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Chichevache posted:

Except the Raiders.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
The recent Stephen Ross deal in Miami is a good benchmark. I was disappointed Jon Oliver didn't show the other half of the story - Miami learned from its mistake and told its biggest fish, the Dolphins, they wouldn't pay for a renovation

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the problem is if you don't have an NFL team, the next facebook isn't going to spends its billions of shareholder swindled funds in your city to build dumb office buildings and hire overpaid workers. it is just like the subdivision pool no one uses but if you don't have one people skip your houses when they are for sale.

Edit: This doesn't apply to LA and some other citys that have other amenities like soul crushing gridlock.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

AAA DOLFAN posted:

The recent Stephen Ross deal in Miami is a good benchmark. I was disappointed Jon Oliver didn't show the other half of the story - Miami learned from its mistake and told its biggest fish, the Dolphins, they wouldn't pay for a renovation

And ultimately the stadium is still getting an amazing renovation - just not by the tax payers

Also I wrote a very lovely paper about the Bengals' stadium situation, and how terribly it has crippled Cincinnati's finances, it was pretty worrisome stuff. Especially since I absolutely love going to games, the energy it brings to the city, and the look/feel of the stadium downtown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Something scrounged from another thread that seems appropriate for Stadiumchat.

• Locked thread