Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Apparently The Gallows got its R rating for being too intense and terrifying. The directors said they where aiming for PG13 but the MPAA wouldn't budge.
Too be honest, when you're younger the PG13 rated horror movies never interested me. You'd always want to see the stuff your not supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

LORD OF BUTT posted:

There's a comic version of Contamination, apparently, and it has really weird art that's black and white with almost no shading, like a coloring book.

A coloring book with naked people and gory exploding chests.

It's not mentioned in the specifications, but the Arrow BluRay actually has this comic book as a special feature (it's not a physical book - it's one those comics you scroll through on your TV).

You are entirely correct about the art style too!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

List five of them. I'm thinking of a bunch but you have seen way more of these films than anyone else here, I bet.

The Bay, Extinction, Shirome, The Sacrament, Digging Up the Marrow. I could go into more spoilery examples too, but that's five.

There's simply too much variety to the endings of these films to put them in narrow categories. Even when everyone dies, Blair Witch style, there's a great deal of variation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm surprised that I've seen every single one of those.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I'm surprised that I've seen every single one of those.

The thing is that you're going into like, who is the filmmaker? What does it mean to complete the film? The Dinosaur Project ends with the protagonist putting his tapes in the river as a 'message in a bottle', then heading off on further adventures. Does that count as successfully completing the film?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The thing is that you're going into like, who is the filmmaker? What does it mean to complete the film? The Dinosaur Project ends with the protagonist putting his tapes in the river as a 'message in a bottle', then heading off on further adventures. Does that count as successfully completing the film?

I'd say yes.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

metavisual posted:

Salems Lot is my goto when people ask for a really scary scene! That drat "let me in" scene with him in the window still creeps me out to this day!
It doesn't hurt that I watched it really young too!

(Hell, I got goosebumps just typing that...)

I never got around to seeing it, I guess I should?

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.

Sire Oblivion posted:

It's hard to find a better made for television horror movie. Plus there's Fred Willard.

Because it was a miniseries, there's minimal gore but a lot of atmosphere- basically a Gothic 60's film on steroids.

cthulusnewzulubbq fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 15, 2015

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

cthulusnewzulubbq posted:

It's hard to find a better made for television horror movie. Plus there's Fred Willard.

Because it was a miniseries, there's minimal gore but a lot of atmosphere- basically a Gothic 60's film on steroids.

The sequel has Tara Reid.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
drat, Lake Mungo is really good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Loki_XLII posted:

drat, Lake Mungo is really good.

Fuckin' A right it is.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sold, I'll get to it as soon as possible.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Sire Oblivion posted:

I think so, I haven't seen it in a bit, so I don't know how well it holds up.

But make sure it's the 1979 version, not the 2004 remake with Rob Lowe! :)

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

It's hard to find a better made for television horror movie.

Closest contenders are probably Dark Night of the Scarecrow and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Salem's Lot is better than both.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

Closest contenders are probably Dark Night of the Scarecrow and Don't Be Afraid of the Dark. Salem's Lot is better than both.

I haven't seen any of these, but how does Duel rank?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Top of the line.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Top of the line.

I guess I should have said how does Duel rank against those, because Duel is the only made-for-TV horror movie I've seen.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Are we not counting The Stand as horror or just saying The Stand is bad?

EDIT: Incident in Lake County is also up there in my book.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Are we not counting The Stand as horror or just saying The Stand is bad?

EDIT: Incident in Lake County is also up there in my book.

The interviews with actual ufo people who obviously had no idea what the show would be really elevate it imo.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I guess I should have said how does Duel rank against those, because Duel is the only made-for-TV horror movie I've seen.

Duel is one of the best made for TV movies of all time, not just for horror either.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I forgot about Duel.

That said, I still prefer Salem's Lot over Duel. Duel never creeped me out after watching it, but Salem's Lot certainly did.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Its almost not fair to include Duel because its one of the rare times where one of the best directors to ever live did a T.V. movie.

cthulusnewzulubbq
Jan 26, 2009

I saw something
NASTY
in the woodshed.
The Night Gallery movie was made for television, too.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Speaking of Steven King adaptations, there was a pretty enjoyable adaptation of Battleground made for TV as part of a collection of adaptations of his stories. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmares_%26_Dreamscapes:_From_the_Stories_of_Stephen_King

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Midnight Hour is pretty awesome, too. I'd put it over Dark Night of the Scarecrow at least.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The vampires of Salem's Lot are surprisingly still freaky. What holds up less well is the pacing: it was meant to be watched in two parts so together it's like 3 hours long, and way too much of the running time is focused on completely pointless love triangles (yes, plural).

(Edit): Also, we need to give a shout to It while we're talking about scary TV movie / miniseries.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It is extremely uneven. I think the parts everyone holds up are the first half childhood parts while forgetting how boring large portions of adult half are.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

InfiniteZero posted:

I forgot about Duel.

That said, I still prefer Salem's Lot over Duel. Duel never creeped me out after watching it, but Salem's Lot certainly did.

Seriously...SERIOUSLY, did you HAVE to post that?. Still gets me every time. I just scrolled down and saw it and said NO NO NO NO (out loud at work).
:frogsiren: Then the person next to me asked me if the network was down, because I sounded upset/angry/confused! :frogsiren:

ACK and then I forgot I quoted you and had to see it again when I previewed my reply!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Basebf555 posted:

its one of the rare times where one of the best directors to ever live did a T.V. movie.

Alfred Hitchcock directed 17 episodes of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour himself.

Billy Friedkin directed the final episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and started out making made for TV documentaries.

Tobe Hooper directed Salem's Lot.

Rainer Fassbinder made Berlin Alexanderplatz as a made for TV miniseries.

Although it was a TV series proper and not really a film, David Lynch directed the best episodes of Twin Peaks. Same goes for The Kingdom from Lars Von Trier.

EDIT -- and didn't Werner Herzog originally do Grizzly Man for Discovery Channel or something like that?

I see your point because most of these are specials and not films proper, but plenty of great directors have done made for TV stuff.

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 16, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

InfiniteZero posted:

Billy Friedkin directed the final episode of The Alfred Hitchcock Hour and started out making made for TV documentaries.

Although it was a TV series proper and not really a film, David Lynch directed the best episodes of Twin Peaks. Same goes for The Kingdom from Lars Von Trier.

EDIT -- and didn't Werner Herzog originally do Grizzly Man for Discovery Channel or something like that?

I see your point because most of these are specials and not films proper, but plenty of great directors have done made for TV stuff.

Well Salem's Lot is also one of the best T.V. movies ever so it makes sense that a legit director made it.

I don't consider creating a show and writing some episodes for it to be the same thing as directing an actual made-for-T.V. movie though. There's always been a stigma attached to the latter that for whatever reason isn't there for series.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Let's not forget Michael Mann and L.A. Takedown.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

InfiniteZero posted:

HBO is probably cheating (and also it being intended for theatrical release)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
What a good movie.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
On the made for TV front I've had a soft spot for Storm of the Century and I don't know why. It's not a great movie, but I still can't help watch it once a year during a blizzard. It was written by Stephen King specifically to be made into a miniseries, so it's very slow, but I sort of appreciate that. The child actors are atrocious, and one FX scene stands out pretty poorly, but the rest is done well enough.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I've always been partial to CONTROL FACTOR, the third film in an unofficial trilogy with They Live and Total Recall.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

metavisual posted:

Seriously...SERIOUSLY, did you HAVE to post that?. Still gets me every time.

I thought about asking people not to post that picture because it probably works better as a link than bombing the thread with it, but I knew that would just be inviting someone to do it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Finally watching that scene after years of people talking about it in hushed tones was underwhelming

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
You know who was also underwhelming? Your mom. :flaccid:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

NarkyBark posted:

On the made for TV front I've had a soft spot for Storm of the Century and I don't know why. It's not a great movie, but I still can't help watch it once a year during a blizzard. It was written by Stephen King specifically to be made into a miniseries, so it's very slow, but I sort of appreciate that. The child actors are atrocious, and one FX scene stands out pretty poorly, but the rest is done well enough.

I always liked the choice that one built to, which I thought was a genuinely nightmarish decision to make, and I loved how the epilogue dealt with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Man, I really wanna enjoy the Conjuring but I can't shake the feeling that I'm watching a really well made Chick tract.