Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

l33t b4c0n
Aug 19, 2000

King of E/N
If I recall, saves bloating things up was a problem in Witcher 2 also.

This game is both a blessing and a curse to me. The plot and characters are the best I've ever seen in a game. But the more I play, the more my OCD gets in my way. I don't like my build and keep reloading to a previous save to build myself differently or choose different dialogue options. Combine that with being overburdened from picking up every loose object and now I've run into a bug in the Get Junior quest involving a secret door that's not opening, and I'm looking at restarting it AGAIN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

It owns. I use it in two ways:
- set a big foe ablaze (e.g. a Bassilisk), while it's writhing in pain, whirl will get in a LOT more hits than mashing square. I don't like the heavy slam or whatever that alt heavy is though.
- It really does work well when you are surrounded, which is the intended use. Works great ocne you get the hang of moving while you are whirling.

Here's what happens when I use it: I wait until I feel like I am in a high-density of enemies, like 4 or 5 within range of attack. I start whirl, and either it pushes one guy out of the group and leaves me out of range of the others, or they are just all blocking and Geralt tinks around like an egg-beater in a bowl full of silverware. With tapping square and using circle to position myself, I can kill the guys in less time than it took me to run out of stamina being ineffective with whirl.

That said, I did just put a point into rend because whirl was so useless. holy poo poo was that a waste. I takes like 2 whole seconds to do, so it's only useful if you've axiid your target. In which case I would get the most DPS from fast attack. I thought that the fact that it ignored defense would let me guard break, but it takes so long to do I could have just dodged behind my target and killed them already. So I guess I'm going to re-equit whirl just for the burst dps on completely undefended targets.

It's just disapointing because regular fast attacks and dodging make geralt whip around Arkam style and can dismember a group pretty quickly, while whirl, supposedly an upgrade, is basically a waste of time. You are right about punishing bosses with it though.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Rather than whirling constantly, you can get a lot out of it by whirling just enough to kill the the target immediately in front of you and having any other hits on nearby opponents count as a bonus. Its also better on swarming packs than people because the people just block or move back. Then, there's the blending of large bosses without a good block. Some melt to Whirl so much faster than they do Archgriffin spam.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
At least use superior tawny owl. More stamina regen and lasts all night? Yes please.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Bort Bortles posted:

I finished the game with like 300 Alcohests in my inventory, how is that even an issue?

Man, don't ask me. :shrug:

I always had a ton of Dwarven Spirit, but never any Alcohests even though I was picking them up whenever I saw them. Hence why I think the game was favoring Alcohests. I was running a light sword/potions build so I was always chugging potions and decorations, so I always used alcohol when meditating.

Seemed like whenever I needed Alcohest to craft an upgrade, I never had any.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Snak posted:

Here's what happens when I use it: I wait until I feel like I am in a high-density of enemies, like 4 or 5 within range of attack. I start whirl, and either it pushes one guy out of the group and leaves me out of range of the others, or they are just all blocking and Geralt tinks around like an egg-beater in a bowl full of silverware. With tapping square and using circle to position myself, I can kill the guys in less time than it took me to run out of stamina being ineffective with whirl.

That said, I did just put a point into rend because whirl was so useless. holy poo poo was that a waste. I takes like 2 whole seconds to do, so it's only useful if you've axiid your target. In which case I would get the most DPS from fast attack. I thought that the fact that it ignored defense would let me guard break, but it takes so long to do I could have just dodged behind my target and killed them already. So I guess I'm going to re-equit whirl just for the burst dps on completely undefended targets.

It's just disapointing because regular fast attacks and dodging make geralt whip around Arkam style and can dismember a group pretty quickly, while whirl, supposedly an upgrade, is basically a waste of time. You are right about punishing bosses with it though.

Yeah, I was stupid and had like 5 points to burn and I threw it all at the 3rd tier hard attack. I mostly did it because I need more points in the tree for the fourth tier ot open up. :q: Still that alt-hard attack is very frustrating. He just stands there and I don't have any sense as to how to use it.

I still find quick attack very useful in groups, even if I could dismember them all easily. It's fun.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

l33t b4c0n posted:

This game is both a blessing and a curse to me. The plot and characters are the best I've ever seen in a game. But the more I play, the more my OCD gets in my way. I don't like my build and keep reloading to a previous save to build myself differently or choose different dialogue options. Combine that with being overburdened from picking up every loose object and now I've run into a bug in the Get Junior quest involving a secret door that's not opening, and I'm looking at restarting it AGAIN.
I'm not sure how far into the game you are and thus how rich you are, but there are a bunch of merchants that sell respec potions for 1,000 gold.

Also, pretty much any build except for a crossbow build is a good build. Just level up a bunch, try stuff out, and if you do not like it buy a respec potion. If you start to run low on cash, go to Skellige and raid all of the loot floating around in the ocean.

Also also the 1.7 patch that seems like it is never going to come out but should come out soon will help with carrying things: alchemy and crafting stuff will weigh zero and you will get storage containers to keep things you want to keep but not carry in.

Hopefully that patch will also fix that Get Junior bug.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

BitterAvatar posted:

Has anyone found a good source of Redanian Herbal for the White Gull recipe? I need approximately 5000 of the drat things for all these other recipes but people only seem to carry 3 at a time.

I went to the tavern in Oxenfurt, bought whatever the shopper had, returned to the main conversation menu and bought the full set again.
Repeat as needed.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I really despise overzealous merchants like that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I have to say that I've been really enjoying this game. It reminds me of old school kick-you-in-the-dick RPGs and I love it. There's definitely some rough edges but I think those make the game that much more fun. You can really tell the people that made this actually put their blood, sweat, and tears into it. The voice actors and the script don't make me cringe and the tongue in cheek references are really nice, too. It's stupid but it was really nice at the same time to open the plain Jane version of the game and find a map and a glossary. I never played the first two Witchers so that's been really handy.

Now for some videos of WTF moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOtlM4iYGuw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1P7WNJA6sA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmkU5DQ9jHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWZjkvEQozs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9S517xurRQ

PS I'm bad at combat but I'm getting better (I know how to block but I just don't unless the enemy is really scary)

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jul 16, 2015

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.
The real use for whirl is against big, slow, high-health opponents.

Wait for an attack, dodge to their back, and unload all your stamina and adrenaline into a mean whirl. Does way more damage than an equivalent rend.

Feels that way to me, anyways. Especially at the opponent's back and with high crit chance, whirl gives you toooons of crits in a short time.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I really hope one of the DLCs let you track down and kill Phillipa because they are the worst person and really deserve it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I really hope one of the DLCs let you track down and kill Phillipa because they are the worst person and really deserve it.

This all day.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Did you try to [spoilers]give Phillipa to Radovid in the quest where he hires you to track her down? I figured she was more useful to me alive in case she might fight the wild hunt with us so I helped her hide, also gently caress radovid[/spoilers]

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

Muffin Rhino posted:

The real use for whirl is against big, slow, high-health opponents.

Wait for an attack, dodge to their back, and unload all your stamina and adrenaline into a mean whirl. Does way more damage than an equivalent rend.

Feels that way to me, anyways. Especially at the opponent's back and with high crit chance, whirl gives you toooons of crits in a short time.

With a bit of Adrenaline Generation, you can keep one of those whirls up forever (or until big-and-slow runs out of health / blocks you). And if you get enough sign intensity for Yrden to have ~50% slowdown, you can change direction (still whirling) as it turns around.

It's a shame Yrden, Igni, and Aard don't work on any of the Wild Hunt bosses, as far as I can tell. I mean, I guess you use Igni to melt the ice-shield thing (I think that's what it was?), Geralt's cutscene-use of it was good, and I don't think I ever used Aard *outside* of a boss fight to begin with, but I still wish there were more opportunities tailored to the Wild Hunt mechanics. Like, why couldn't Yrden stop Imlerith/Eredin/Etc. from teleporting, or force them to teleport outside of it? That sort of thing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is there ever an option to ask Philippa about Saskia? That would have been a significant portion of my reasoning but it never came up, and I was checking at every opportunity. FWIW I did Iorveth's path, didn't free Saskia, but also didn't kill her, and found a letter in Philippa's hideout that seemed like it was written by someone with the specific symptoms of Saskia's mind control.

Cheston fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 16, 2015

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Cheston posted:

Is there ever an option to ask Philippa about Saskia? That would have been a significant portion of my reasoning but it never came up, and I was checking at every opportunity. FWIW I did Iorveth's path, didn't free Saskia, but also didn't kill her, and found a letter in Philippa's hideout that seemed like it was written by someone with the specific symptoms of Saskia's mind control.

Yes!

When you first arrive in Skellege with the whole gang for the final showdown, you can go into the cabin on the ship and chat with Phillipa. One of the subjects you can ask about is Saskia.

Now, I freed Saskia in Witcher 2 but that doesn't apparently register cause Phillipa says she "lost control of Saskia and doesn't know where she is".

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Does that wierd malformed jester that he won at cards in the Blody Barons keep ever come up agian or did I miss something?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

ughhhh posted:

Does that wierd malformed jester that he won at cards in the Blody Barons keep ever come up agian or did I miss something?

To avoid spoilers: Just wait. You don't have to do anything with him now.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I'm at the endgame, so I braved this thread and potential spoilers (though they seem contained) to ask:

Anyone having problems with their DS4? I had DS4windows working with everything including this and all of a sudden, no patch, it stopped working. Still works on every other game with both DS4win AND inputmapper. I even tried, on suggestion, turning the trackpad and lightbar off with inputmapper. No dice.

I'm an idiot, anyone know what to do? e: on GOG

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
So I just finished this game tonight and I'm left with one burning question--what happened to the Crone that stole Vesemir's medallion off Ciri? I figured she was being set up to make some big return and tip the scales in the Wild Hunt's favor or something but she just disappeared and I'm wondering if I missed something. Are we figuring it's DLC setup or something?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

HaitianDivorce posted:

So I just finished this game tonight and I'm left with one burning question--what happened to the Crone that stole Vesemir's medallion off Ciri? I figured she was being set up to make some big return and tip the scales in the Wild Hunt's favor or something but she just disappeared and I'm wondering if I missed something. Are we figuring it's DLC setup or something?

You'd found out had you've gotten the darkest of endings..

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Just managed a zero deaths playthrough. Only on the regular difficulty, mind, but still pleased with myself.

Considering the length of it, this must be one hell of a game, to make me replay it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HaitianDivorce posted:

If Ciri dies when she ends the White Frost, Geralt falls into despair, hunts down and kills the final Crone, and then allows drowners to kill him

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

If Ciri dies when she ends the White Frost, Geralt falls into despair, hunts down and kills the final Crone, and then allows drowners to kill him

Downers? DOWNERS?!?! For shame.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Downers? DOWNERS?!?! For shame.
also ghouls

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

There will be more expansions after the announced two, surely? I mean this game is selling great.

I kind of want to see Iorveth do that Comanche fire ant trick to Phil.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Just brought this game, using SLI 680, running on [Low] or [Ultra] it was maxing at 15 fps. :(

Updated my Nvidia drivers from 331 to newest, oh hey 60 fps on 8x AA / 8x Anisotropic [High] + SweetFX!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

There will be more expansions after the announced two, surely? I mean this game is selling great.

I kind of want to see Iorveth do that Comanche fire ant trick to Phil.

I dunno, considering they're saying the scale of these expansions is going to be on the level of Witcher 2, they're probably gonna want to, you know, work on other things after they release two expansions that both give at least 10 hours of additional playtime.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
So they don't like money?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Sharmat posted:

So they don't like money?

Not enough to keep working on the same game for much longer when they've got a brand new franchise ready to go. Besides, if they were in this to just make ludicrous amounts of profits, they wouldn't be rolling out patch after patch, free DLC content, and holding an incredibly lassez-faire attitude toward piracy. I mean, we COULD go over to their offices and dress them up in little outfits and make them dance for us until the end of time. Maybe that would be a better use of their time.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It all depends on their workload, I'm sure they had to reduce the team after the game released but still kept a relatively big team for the DLCs/expansions/Enhanced Edition. When they fulfill their goals they'll move those people elsewhere and I'm sure it's already planned. It's not easy to just say "hey, why don't we do another expansion" and go with it. Somebody needs to develop Cyberpunk :getin:.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
The team that's developing the expansion content is probably not the same to have done the base game such as just a level designer and a couple writers, pretty standard procedure for most companies that work on continuous content development. But maybe those guys at CDPR are crazy and have their A team still work on the DLCs, I dunno.

While there's a lot of quest bugs in this game, there's an insanely high number of interactions between quests and with tons of contingencies and logic for doing stuff out of order that demonstrates how much they're committed to quality and creating a memorable experience as a policy. For example, I already had bought the paint can for the rock troll in Velen and there was special dialogue just because I had the item already. It's the first time that that ever happened for me before in a game. Even better, how happy the fucker was brought a smile to my cold, jaded nerd face.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

wrong thread.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'd love to see the percentage of players that managed to get the completely worst ending. Radovid taking over, Geralt and Ciri both dying, and Skellige's new king not being Cerys.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Macaluso posted:

I'd love to see the percentage of players that managed to get the completely worst ending. Radovid taking over, Geralt and Ciri both dying, and Skellige's new king not being Cerys.

Impatient people probably got that ending. You'd have to what,

- ignore sidequests involving killing Radovid
- be an impatient oaf who decides to charge off with Hjalmar or whatever his name is when the Bezerkers attack instead of the obvious choice of staying with Cerys and doing detective work
- be impatient and not want to put up with any of Ciri's insecurities and refuse to go to Skjall's grave

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

JetsGuy posted:

Impatient people probably got that ending. You'd have to what,

- ignore sidequests involving killing Radovid
- be an impatient oaf who decides to charge off with Hjalmar or whatever his name is when the Bezerkers attack instead of the obvious choice of staying with Cerys and doing detective work
- be impatient and not want to put up with any of Ciri's insecurities and refuse to go to Skjall's grave

I was kinda surprised how I got a decent ending by just doing almost everything I could find. The game is happy to reward you for the time you put back into it.

Oh, another thing I'm curious about from my ending: whatever happens to Eskel? I know Lambert ran off with Keira Metz and I guess gets as much of a happily ever after as he's going to get (even though the jerk couldn't show up to help stop the end of the world) but Eskel seemed to just drop off the face of the earth after the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Muffin Rhino
Dec 31, 2006

I am SO gay for Doctor Cox.

HaitianDivorce posted:

I was kinda surprised how I got a decent ending by just doing almost everything I could find. The game is happy to reward you for the time you put back into it.

Oh, another thing I'm curious about from my ending: whatever happens to Eskel? I know Lambert ran off with Keira Metz and I guess gets as much of a happily ever after as he's going to get (even though the jerk couldn't show up to help stop the end of the world) but Eskel seemed to just drop off the face of the earth after the battle of Kaer Morhen.

Eskel goes "east" after the Battle of Kaer Morhen. I hope they save him for DLC material, cuz he's a way bigger bro than Lambert.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Muffin Rhino posted:

Eskel goes "east" after the Battle of Kaer Morhen. I hope they save him for DLC material, cuz he's a way bigger bro than Lambert.

Team Lambert for life. Eskel is just a less cool Geralt. Also the idiot spilled a bunch of wine and crawled through it, doesn't do hilarious Vesemire impersonations, and doesn't throw down ice burns on Yen any chance he gets.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
I don't understand how Ending Spoilers anyone could get the Dead Ciri ending by accident, honestly. Seems like you have to be a jerk to her constantly to get it.

I found Lambert whiny and annoying about half the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I didn't like Lambert through his personal quest, but all the interaction with him at Kaer Morhen made me like him. Especially finding out how he became a witcher and then the drinking shenanigans.