Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Beatstep Pro arrived today. Surprisingly solid - I was expecting plastic. I'm very excited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
here's a thread on muffwiggler with a teardown of one of the new roland dsp modules :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Mr. Glass posted:

here's a thread on muffwiggler with a teardown of one of the new roland dsp modules :stonk: :stonk: :stonk:

hahah wow :sterv:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Had a little flashback when I just saw a Yamaha CS1x for 110€ around here. Never owned one, but lusted over it so much way back when it was new, mainly because it was almost affordable. And then I realized how stupid it would be to buy it just for the nostalgia. It might have been different if any of the hardware synths I have bought had ever seen any use, but they're no more than trophies. Awarded for having more disposable income than when I was sixteen. Which is just sad.

I think I have a defective :gas: gland or something.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Mr. Glass posted:

That was hilarious. And yikes at that soldering.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

Startyde posted:

Probably the best VA this side of 2k. Definitely the only one that can stand completely upright on its own.

You mean like this?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Radiapathy posted:

That was hilarious. And yikes at that soldering.

I've tried to write four different posts now and none of them have been as funny as the raw concept/execution of these Roland euro modules.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Flipperwaldt posted:

And then I realized how stupid it would be to buy it just for the nostalgia.

Did you just admire it from afar or did you also test it in music stores?

If you buy it, you'll zap through the factory presets, laugh at a few of them, realize that you can't really do anything with it so you put it in the closet because selling it again is :effort: and go on with your life.

It's a sign of maturity if you can play this scenario in your head and do not have to act it out.

:smith:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Laserjet 4P posted:

Did you just admire it from afar or did you also test it in music stores?
I was too shy. I went to music stores, grabbed every flyer and folder I could get for free and went home to compare specs. Not having a clue what they meant at the time. Surely a polyphony of 64 must mean it's a better synth than one with a polyphony of 8, right? Multi-timbral means I'd only have to buy one synth for everything.

I kept flip-flopping, because midi was still that poo poo associated with 4MB soundfonts loaded in my soundcard, whereas I had this whole Impulse Tracker thing completely figured out already. In the end, when I finally got enough money, I spent it on a phone that had a display that could show no less than five lines of text at the same time! At least the synth would still have been worth 100€ now.

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you buy it, you'll zap through the factory presets, laugh at a few of them, realize that you can't really do anything with it so you put it in the closet because selling it again is :effort: and go on with your life.
That's exactly what would happen. And it's ok to know that, I guess, but I miss the excitement that a tangible purchase was going to change my life completely :smith:

I still enjoy loving around with softsynths though. Dealing with the specific impracticalities of hardware gave me a new appreciation for those. Actually, I might just hate cables.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

Noxious posted:

You mean like this?

:hellyeah:

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i think malekko has a hand in the roland series 500 modules so hopefully they won't be such a massive joke?

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

I've tried to write four different posts now and none of them have been as funny as the raw concept/execution of these Roland euro modules.

But like somebody asked ... how does it sound? I wouldn't be buying to admire the soldering.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

0dB posted:

But like somebody asked ... how does it sound? I wouldn't be buying to admire the soldering.

The soldering I could take or leave; I was more thinking about the 450mA(?) of power it needs... or the wall wart. Even the full on Mutable Instruments stuff only needs a secondary +5V.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Scatterfold posted:

The soldering I could take or leave; I was more thinking about the 450mA(?) of power it needs... or the wall wart. Even the full on Mutable Instruments stuff only needs a secondary +5V.

That's a point. I guess I'm looking at it as a guitar pedal.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

the analog four sounds kinda weenie :(

please tell me how to make my sounds more swole

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Mr. Sharps posted:

Buy less weenie synths. Or learn how to patch your synth so it is not so weenie.

Looking at the specs, osc sync and the built in overdrive combined should make some very unweenie patches.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Mr. Sharps posted:

The init patch is not great. It's got the FIL1 a little closed and its Q a little up for no good reason. Definitely make your own to start with, it's very easy to do on the A4 because of the 'sound' paradigm. When making swole patches mind the gain staging, it's very easy to go from beefy overdrive to buzziness that sort of overtakes the wall of sound. That is if you have all osc and subs on, OD on the filter it just sort of sounds like metal zones run into metal zones. Backing off and then increasing track volume will make rounder sounds. OSC1's feedback mode with Tri on OSC2 and is fat zone. Don't neglect that you can PWM all the waveforms, not just pulse. PWM's tri with sub on OSC2 so you can control the volume of the sub (subs not having dedicated volume is a glaring oversight imo) is great. Two(or more) voice unison with independent track sounds is great. Download the free patches and study the ones you like, biopads and synthrotron are the standouts I think.
Negative feedback OVR values on FIL1 are a softer overdrive than positive. Some people suggest just ignoring FIL1, leaving it wide open and working on FIL2 as if it's a single SVF. Might not be a bad idea until you've come to grips with it. Use an LFO in one shot as an extremely fast AD envelope. Quick modulation of FRQ on top of regular ENVF is nice for adding a punchy ring at the attack of a sound.

Really though? Use the CV track to drive a Pulse or Grenadier or euro beauty case. You can certainly get there with work but it's not at its heart a ripping monosynth. One monomachine voice could tear more cones than the A4's unison.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
turn off analog drift on all the oscillators. some Swedish dummies decided to default it to on. it isn't a cure all but it helps make the a4 sound less like it's broken

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:

Eurochat: ordered a Bubblesound VCA4p (not sure why these don't get more love - unreal amount of functionality in 8hp), Synthrotek DLY analog delay kit, and Synthrotek MST Dual AD/ASR envelope generator kit. These will displace a couple of existing modules (linear 4:1 mixer and expo VCA) but now I'll have lots more output flexibility, delay, and more modulation! :getin:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Startyde posted:

The init patch is not great. It's got the FIL1 a little closed and its Q a little up for no good reason. Definitely make your own to start with, it's very easy to do on the A4 because of the 'sound' paradigm. When making swole patches mind the gain staging, it's very easy to go from beefy overdrive to buzziness that sort of overtakes the wall of sound. That is if you have all osc and subs on, OD on the filter it just sort of sounds like metal zones run into metal zones. Backing off and then increasing track volume will make rounder sounds. OSC1's feedback mode with Tri on OSC2 and is fat zone. Don't neglect that you can PWM all the waveforms, not just pulse. PWM's tri with sub on OSC2 so you can control the volume of the sub (subs not having dedicated volume is a glaring oversight imo) is great. Two(or more) voice unison with independent track sounds is great. Download the free patches and study the ones you like, biopads and synthrotron are the standouts I think.
Negative feedback OVR values on FIL1 are a softer overdrive than positive. Some people suggest just ignoring FIL1, leaving it wide open and working on FIL2 as if it's a single SVF. Might not be a bad idea until you've come to grips with it. Use an LFO in one shot as an extremely fast AD envelope. Quick modulation of FRQ on top of regular ENVF is nice for adding a punchy ring at the attack of a sound.

Really though? Use the CV track to drive a Pulse or Grenadier or euro beauty case. You can certainly get there with work but it's not at its heart a ripping monosynth. One monomachine voice could tear more cones than the A4's unison.

These are all great suggestions. The truth is that the A4 is not a great sounding analog synth, but it DEFINES "greater than the sum of its parts." Consider the effects, parameter locks/sequencer, and FX automation track as integral parts of it and not "extras." Internal gain staging is the biggest liability - it's sucked in every single Elektron product they've ever made. Be extra conservative with levels through the entire signal chain of every patch.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

sofullofhate posted:

Eurochat: ordered a Bubblesound VCA4p (not sure why these don't get more love - unreal amount of functionality in 8hp), Synthrotek DLY analog delay kit, and Synthrotek MST Dual AD/ASR envelope generator kit. These will displace a couple of existing modules (linear 4:1 mixer and expo VCA) but now I'll have lots more output flexibility, delay, and more modulation! :getin:

nice. i've been building a ton of euro kits lately-- there are so many great modules that are only available as kits. last night i put together a RYO Optodist and a manhattan CP3 mixer.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

post pics of your case when you finish it! even if it doesn't end up being any cheaper you presumably learned something from building it, right? :)

It's not particularly nice but here you go. Empty:

With modules:

I only have a single spot left on my power ribbon so I'm going to have to start looking at an actual power supply before I expand anymore (trying to get a z3000 fixed which will consume that last plug). If you're wondering why there's a gap at the top and bottom of the back it's two fold:
1) Ventilation for the inevitable on board psu and bus boards
2) So that when I drop a tiny screw in the case it's very easy to just shake it out the back.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Bolange posted:

It's not particularly nice but here you go. Empty:

With modules:

I only have a single spot left on my power ribbon so I'm going to have to start looking at an actual power supply before I expand anymore (trying to get a z3000 fixed which will consume that last plug). If you're wondering why there's a gap at the top and bottom of the back it's two fold:
1) Ventilation for the inevitable on board psu and bus boards
2) So that when I drop a tiny screw in the case it's very easy to just shake it out the back.

that looks much nicer than you made it out to be! also you can daisy chain those flying bus cables as long as your power module provides enough juice for everything you're plugging into it.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Mr. Glass posted:

that looks much nicer than you made it out to be! also you can daisy chain those flying bus cables as long as your power module provides enough juice for everything you're plugging into it.

Thank you. Wood putty + spray paint can covers flaws decently. You should have seen the terrible terrible attempts to make a curved/angled 3 row configuration. This is the fallback design.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Does the 4p remove a channel from the mix out when you have something plugged into the individual out, or is the mix always all 4 channels (or whatever you set with jumpers or however it works)?

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

breaks posted:

Does the 4p remove a channel from the mix out when you have something plugged into the individual out, or is the mix always all 4 channels (or whatever you set with jumpers or however it works)?

Yes, if you patch out of a channel it is removed from the mixer. I often will use it to mix down audio paths while using 1-2 channels for cv manipulation and have never heard that bleed into the audio.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
the vca4p looks really compact for how many channels you get (it's basically two µVCAs glued together, minus the dc offset attenuators). i'd probably pick one up if i were short on vcas, but i have a µVCA and a synthrotek VCA and i haven't found myself needing more (yet).

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

0dB posted:

My concern about the soldering isn't about how it looks- it's about it being so sloppy that it could either a) not be that sturdy and breaks too soon or b) inadvertently melted other components of the board, giving you a unit that doesn't sound or function as intended.

If they actually work and hold up after shipping/moving, then simply being ugly on the inside isn't a problem.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've finally planned my first little modular audio mangler, thanks to some amazing guidance (and a massive email brain-dump) from a very knowledgable acquaintance. Now I get to sit around on Muff Wigglers and wait for someone to actually sell the modules I want. I figure only buying used might help cut down on the chances of my modular purchases spiraling out of control, but gently caress it I know I'm gonna end up putting a decent amount of money in a pile and start it on fire regardless.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I've finally planned my first little modular audio mangler, thanks to some amazing guidance (and a massive email brain-dump) from a very knowledgable acquaintance. Now I get to sit around on Muff Wigglers and wait for someone to actually sell the modules I want. I figure only buying used might help cut down on the chances of my modular purchases spiraling out of control, but gently caress it I know I'm gonna end up putting a decent amount of money in a pile and start it on fire regardless.

GAS is even worse with modular, so have fun :homebrew:

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

the vca4p looks really compact for how many channels you get (it's basically two µVCAs glued together, minus the dc offset attenuators). i'd probably pick one up if i were short on vcas, but i have a µVCA and a synthrotek VCA and i haven't found myself needing more (yet).

Bolange posted:

Yes, if you patch out of a channel it is removed from the mixer. I often will use it to mix down audio paths while using 1-2 channels for cv manipulation and have never heard that bleed into the audio.

These are the reasons I bought it - for output it replaces at least three modules (2x VCA + 1x mixer), and I only had a pair of VCAs - one expo and one linear. Given the number of noisemakers in my rig, that was too few.

Mr. Glass, tell me about how you like the Intellijel I/O units. I'm would love to be able to record my modular from +4/-10dBu rather than using an instrument input and getting a tonne of noise.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

sofullofhate posted:

Mr. Glass, tell me about how you like the Intellijel I/O units. I'm would love to be able to record my modular from +4/-10dBu rather than using an instrument input and getting a tonne of noise.

If you're referring to the modular I posted a few comments above, I can't really say. I literally just installed when moving to this case.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
yeah i don't have the intellijel output module. i've got the pittsburgh modular one and it seems to work fine, not sure what more you'd want from a glorified attenuator.

since we're doing eurorackchat, everyone post pictures of your setups! here's mine. it's not currently arranged like this because i'm still working on my 12U case. i also have a MI Elements preordered that will necessitate removal of a few of the lesser-used modules.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice
That's a pretty nice collection of modules, Mr Glass. How are you powering it?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
i'm using 2 of the 4ms row power module (in the two middle rows on the left) for power. each one provides 1.5A of +12v, and the 40 provides a little more juice on the -12v and +5v rails than the 30 (but those usually aren't the constraining factor when it comes to power). you can daisy chain both of them off of a 90W laptop power brick.

http://www.4mspedals.com/rowpow.php

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

Whoops, yeah, sorry. Bolange, I meant yours. :)

This'll be mine once I get / build the new modules:

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

:gas:

But on the plus side my brother and I can jam together and not have to fight over the same keyboard.

:sludgepal:

Noxious fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 16, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Played a little with my A4 on my lunch break, Tri with pulse width static ~15-20, OSC2 tuned -12 set to off with its sub on, volume to taste, AM1 on, retrig on. Two voice unison with detune at 5 and stereo spread 40, hmm. Love that PW on the tri.

Mr. Glass posted:

yeah i don't have the intellijel output module. i've got the pittsburgh modular one and it seems to work fine, not sure what more you'd want from a glorified attenuator.
since we're doing eurorackchat, everyone post pictures of your setups! here's mine. it's not currently arranged like this because i'm still working on my 12U case. i also have a MI Elements preordered that will necessitate removal of a few of the lesser-used modules.

Here's my money pit

I'm very happy with it. Going to swap out the SuperVCO for an A-110-2. Would like to get another clock divider in there, the twiggy ring mod and asys synthi filter but if I never got another module I'd be OK. Do wish I either got wider cases or the doepfer 9U instead of 6. My aim is still to keep it man portable though, I'm trying to resist going any bigger than this.

:frogsiren: :cumpolice: :frogsiren:

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

micron photographed in front of large photos of famous landmarks, like that garden gnome in amelie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Startyde posted:

Here's my money pit

That looks like a pretty interesting keyboard. Details?