Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Crow Jane posted:

So my month-long, virginal Sopranos binge is coming to a close.

What the hell do I watch after this?

The Murdoch Mysteries, Netflix still has the first 3 seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crow Jane posted:

Justified!

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

10 Beers posted:

Justified!

Ha, I was about to say that. I am just finishing up the last season, it's a really entertaining show.

Crow Jane posted:

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

You might try Sons of Anarchy. It sounds like you're just watching stuff that's wrapped up, otherwise Banshee or Ray Donovan would be worth checking out.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
SoA turns into dogshit completely after the 2nd season. But hatewatching it with booze is AMAZING

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The Shield!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Last I checked it was off streaming

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Crow Jane posted:

Did that two summers ago, and did Deadwood last fall. With Mad Men finished, I think I ran out of good TV :smith:

Rome, Battlestar Galactica, Justified.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Expendables 3 is up! You're all welcome.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###

wormil posted:

It's on Hulu still. Also, it was really weird watching The Commish after watching The Shield. I kept expecting violence.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Rolo posted:

Expendables 3 is up! You're all welcome.

How does it compare to the other two? I liked the first one but have never finished the second. Every time I started Expendables 2,I either fell asleep or ended up doing something else.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

How does it compare to the other two? I liked the first one but have never finished the second. Every time I started Expendables 2,I either fell asleep or ended up doing something else.

Watched it last night. Worse than the first, comparable with the second. Series went down hill quick.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rolo posted:

Holy crap Road House gets dark fast. I was expecting Footloose meets Cocktail but drat people get hosed up in this movie.
Possibly the most outrageous tai chi kill-move in any movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Dirk Squarejaw posted:

It's even worse. They throw in a token 'Murican soldier for no particular reason except :911: . The main actors spend a lot of time parroting their own most-famous lines from movies that people liked.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

coyo7e posted:

It's even worse. They throw in a token 'Murican soldier for no particular reason except :911: . The main actors spend a lot of time parroting their own most-famous lines from movies that people liked.

Arnold literally says "get to the choppa!" Or some variation thereof no less than three times in the movie. He is only in the movie for about 15 minutes combined.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

Said 'murican soldier was also a Benghazi survivor because of course they wouldn't miss out on the chance to use a major motion picture to make potshots about how "support never came".

The movies suck because they're trying so hard to evoke the 80s with the actors and callbacks but the actual action is all 00s-era shakycam, quick cuts, and terrible digital squibs and obvious compositing and CGI. You never really have a good sense of geography or flow, it's just a bunch of cuts between people firing and people falling down with some explosions in between.

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

the actual action is all 00s-era shakycam, quick cuts, and terrible digital squibs and obvious compositing and CGI. You never really have a good sense of geography or flow, it's just a bunch of cuts between people firing and people falling down with some explosions in between.

Why are these things so popular still? I remember when the second Borne movie came out with that terrible shaky-cam bullshit turned up to 11 and even back then people were mocking it. It feels like it has gotten even worse lately, I can barely loving tell what is going on half the time in modern action movies.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

wormil posted:

drat, really? I didn't get to finish it because I was waiting on someone to catch up so we could watch it together :(

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Anyone have any idea when the second half of season 7 of Mad Men will show up on Netflix?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

terrible digital squibs and obvious compositing and CGI.

This is what put the nail in the coffin on the movie for me. I can handle the horrible script, and the poorly laid out scenes/action because my expectation is "lovely action movie". Note that my expectation is not "good action movie callback to the 80s" here. But then the effects make it look like a made for TV movie and that is a line that, when crossed, just instantly ruins it for me. If I want to watch TV I'll watch The A-Team re-runs.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Anyone have any idea when the second half of season 7 of Mad Men will show up on Netflix?

Towards September, I think

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Been on a Martial Arts binge lately, and just watched Man of Tai Chi, Keanu Reeves' directorial debut, on Netflix. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

I've got Ip Man: The Final Fight on deck, but it isn't in the Donnie Yen Ip Man continuity (I can't wait for the third one to come out), so we'll see.

Any goons have good recommendations? I've seen the usual ones and I'm looking for more off the beaten path.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

flosofl posted:

Been on a Martial Arts binge lately, and just watched Man of Tai Chi, Keanu Reeves' directorial debut, on Netflix. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would.

I've got Ip Man: The Final Fight on deck, but it isn't in the Donnie Yen Ip Man continuity (I can't wait for the third one to come out), so we'll see.

Any goons have good recommendations? I've seen the usual ones and I'm looking for more off the beaten path.

Kung Fu Hustle - although sillier, it's great.

Edit: Not martial arts (but some fight scenes in a great setting), and also not well known (at least I had never heard of it before seeing it on Netflix): Snowpiercer

Ragequit has a new favorite as of 04:24 on Jul 15, 2015

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ragequit posted:

Kung Fu Hustle - although sillier, it's great.

Edit: Not martial arts (but some fight scenes in a great setting), and also not well known (at least I had never heard of it before seeing it on Netflix): Snowpiercer

Hate to be a Goonie Gune but the more I think about Snow Piercer, the more I don't like it because the script could have been changed in small ways to make it way better.

As a glutton for bad movies and a prescription for rose-tinted glasses, I decided to watch Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle for the first time since I rented it a hundred years ago.
Do not watch this movie.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Inzombiac posted:

Hate to be a Goonie Gune but the more I think about Snow Piercer, the more I don't like it because the script could have been changed in small ways to make it way better.

could u describe what changes you would make in exhausting detail

thanks in advance

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

Edminster posted:

thanks in advance

Make it a boat and not a Choo choo

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Big Centipede posted:

Make it a boat and not a Choo choo

Maybe get Michael Bay to produce. Some kind of hard nosed military tough guys played by idk, Adam Baldwin types.

I could see it.

Big Centipede
Mar 20, 2009

it tingles

syscall girl posted:

Maybe get Michael Bay to produce. Some kind of hard nosed military tough guys played by idk, Adam Baldwin types.

I could see it.

The big paddle is powered by kids noooo

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edminster posted:

thanks in advance

Okay.

1) Did Captain America have amnesia? He should have just sold all of his problems with a shield toss and unyielding patriotism

2) the train should have been smaller and had wings. Would have solved a lot of problems.

3)if they were gonna eat bug then they should have just had cow like come on steak is way better than bug jello lol

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Can someone from northern Ireland reassure me that Sam Neil's accent in peaky blinders is legit? As soon as he started talking all I could think about was how bad it sounded, like a lovely American accent with some leprechaun mixed in. I stopped watching before his first big speech was even over.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Crow Jane posted:

Breaking Bad, Oz, Twin Peaks, Generation Kill, House of Cards, Carnivale, Masters of Sex, Homeland, Better Call Saul but it only has 1 season out. There's still some entertainment out there.

Trebek
Mar 7, 2002
College Slice

Crow Jane posted:

Banshee.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

radiatinglines posted:

Can someone from northern Ireland reassure me that Sam Neil's accent in peaky blinders is legit? As soon as he started talking all I could think about was how bad it sounded, like a lovely American accent with some leprechaun mixed in. I stopped watching before his first big speech was even over.

You know he's a kiwi, not an American though, right?

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

radiatinglines posted:

his accent is a little more intelligible since they were shooting for an American audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSoWVx8Ii8

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Deadite posted:

his accent is a little more intelligible since they were shooting for an American audience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNSoWVx8Ii8

Yeah I used to play WoW with a dude from Ulster and this is what he sounded like, but there's an accent for every square mile over there.

syscall girl posted:

You know he's a kiwi, not an American though, right?

Yep, but try watching the first episode of peaky blinders and tell me he doesn't sound like an American doing a bad Irish accent.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Worrying about accents is pointless unless you grew up within 20 miles of the fictional character.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not really worried about Irish people being offended by an inaccurate accent, I'm just saying it sounds really bad.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Whoa poo poo, Bojack Horseman season 2 is up! :supaburn:

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Trebek posted:

Banshee.

This is pretty much the answer anytime someone asks what they should watch

om nom nom
Jul 23, 2011

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Doctor Who season 8 has got to go up soon.

It just has to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

coyo7e posted:

Whoa poo poo, Bojack Horseman season 2 is up! :supaburn:

I haven't even started it yet but when you pull up the page the "D" in "episodes" is missing, just like the D from the HOLLYWOOD sign in Bojack. Well-played, Netflix.