Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Captain Oblivious posted:

If you've ever read anything Koji has written about the localization of this game you would know that is not the case. The localization team is fairly involved with the writing process and the Japanese script is not always the original. This makes it hard to make any serious claims of the authenticity of one over the other. Knowing this it is hard to envision Paladin versus Knight being anything but a conscious choice. They did not do it for shits and giggles, they did it because they know what game has weight in the English speaking world. It isn't FF1, 2 or 3.

I'm sure Koji has long talks with the JP team about how his GoT references fit into the overall narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Suitaru posted:

Most mobs aggro by sight. Some aggro by sound (most obvious in the sylphlands - flytraps and ochus are sound aggro). You can avoid the sound-aggro ones by walking instead of running. :eng101:

Wow. :magical:

Kuai posted:

They named them Paladins because Japan literally thinks Americans are idiots and would wonder why a Knight could cast healing spells.

... Surely the American localization team would have made that choice? :raise: Admittedly I'm pretty ignorant regarding Final Fantasy's roots and how it was translated originally.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Not sure why people are suddenly trying to use logic with Belzac but okay.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

...you can walk?

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm not sure if "I like FFIV" is logic.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Azerban posted:

...you can walk?

press the / button on your numbpad. You can rebind that, if you want.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Paladin is just a specific name for a kind of knight was my understanding, all knights are holy warriors of god under the king etc etc I thought? idk. That's why they all had names like the order of saint george or fought in the crusades and poo poo

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Mordiceius posted:

Paladins having a heal ability (however minor or wide) is basically a trope of the entire fantasy genre dating back to D&D and beyond.

To say that it is "copying WoW" is incredibly naive.

Look I was just trying to be cute. I'm sorry for the dumb derail.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Tenik posted:

press the / button on your numbpad. You can rebind that, if you want.

What is even the point of walking besides roleplay options

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SirPhoebos posted:

Look I was just trying to be cute. I'm sorry for the dumb derail.

We don't allow funny posts or sarcasm in this thread. Get with the program. :colbert:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

pandaK posted:

Not aggroing sound-triggered mobs for one.

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Thyrork posted:

Wow. :magical:

... Surely the American localization team would have made that choice? :raise: Admittedly I'm pretty ignorant regarding Final Fantasy's roots and how it was translated originally.

I doubt the FF14 team had anything to do with calling them Paladins since there was no way they would call them Knight since FFXI called them Paladins.

The FFXI localization team thought Americans wouldn't like a "Holy Warrior" being called a simple Knight.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Rei_ posted:

Paladin is just a specific name for a kind of knight was my understanding, all knights are holy warriors of god under the king etc etc I thought? idk

In broad strokes, yes. Generally a knight was a warrior given a title and land, in exchange for sworn fealty and service to a monarch or lord.

Paladins were legendary knights in the court of Charlemagne.. That they're something else entirely is a modern creation.

In short, this whole conversation is dumb.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

pandaK posted:

I like the walking animations, they tend to be set up very well to keep your weapon believably positioned as though you might have to use it at any time. There's something very ominous about creeping slowly forward with your axe...

EDIT: Also it's handy for DF non-verbal signaling as a tank. "Hey idiots go this way now" plus not getting close enough to pop aggro until everybody is far enough forward for that to be good.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Belzac posted:

I'm sure Koji has long talks with the JP team about how his GoT references fit into the overall narrative.

Watch the opening video and see what a certain Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is credited as.

He's listed as one of the "World Lore creators." I'd say he has some amount of input.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

pandaK posted:

Well, just like some people were saying last page, certain mobs only detect players when they make sound, instead of walking in front of their line of sight. RP walking lets you skip those mobs. For example, in the Aery you can grab that treasure chest by the sleeping dragon if you walk up to it instead of running.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Belzac posted:

Well he did by all accounts introduce yoshi p to the books and show, so

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Xenoveritas posted:

Watch the opening video and see what a certain Michael-Christopher Koji Fox is credited as.

He's listed as one of the "World Lore creators." I'd say he has some amount of input.

If you watched the fanfest content you'll know what he does. Basically the main lore guy says "hey I need a castle" and then Koji makes up a giant back story for the castle that you have to ask him about on the forums cause it's not in the game at all. The biggest lore stuff he does that matters is help come up with names of things. The reason it's called Nald'Thal is so Koji could make Thal's Balls a curse.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Have any of the lodestone scrapers been updated for HW? I really need to know how much of the active population is playing as Au Ra, because anecdotally it seems really high

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anyone know of a place where I could find a spreadsheet of all 50-60 crafting recipes and a breakdown of their material components?

I'm thinking of working on a.... project this weekend and I'd rather not have to put together all that data manually.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Belzac posted:

If you watched the fanfest content you'll know what he does. Basically the main lore guy says "hey I need a castle" and then Koji makes up a giant back story for the castle that you have to ask him about on the forums cause it's not in the game at all. The biggest lore stuff he does that matters is help come up with names of things. The reason it's called Nald'Thal is so Koji could make Thal's Balls a curse.

What's the story behind the Eighty Sins of Sasamo anyway? Lots of the game locations suggest this huge history that's never actually expanded on.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Coughing Hobo posted:

In short, this whole conversation is dumb.

Better than talking about parsers again. :can:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Coughing Hobo posted:

Paladins were legendary knights in the court of Charlemagne..

And they take this one step further in the names of the legendary swords of the Sultansworn: Joyeuse, Durandal, and Curtana. All swords wielded by Charlemagne himself or his paladins.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

vOv posted:

What's the story behind the Eighty Sins of Sasamo anyway? Lots of the game locations suggest this huge history that's never actually expanded on.

Fernehalwes posted:

Hey guys!

I remember touching on this subject briefly in past post. I love that there's interest in the lore behind the name!

Way back in 2012, when the lore team was fleshing out the new ARR maps by naming previously unnamed landmarks, I came up with a story about a sultana and her scheming sister, and named the stone staircase leading down to Scorpion Crossing after the tragedy that took place on those steps. My hope was to write a quest about the whole affair and get it into the game sooner or later. Well, sooner has grown into later, and later into even later, but my plan still stands (the quest is pretty much written, now it's a matter of convincing the quest team to get the mechanics working). So, for now, I'm going to keep the secret of Sasamo under wraps, with hopes that you'll be able to experience the story in-game. If, it turns out, this won't happen, I'll ask the team for permission to post the back-story up here (and in all other languages, as well).

Thanks again for the interest!

(Oh, and Fangul's multi-part story was a great read! How close it is to the actual story...well, time will tell. :) )

Belzac posted:

So you're aware that the localization team works very closely with the lore team and passes things like the names of jobs and classes by them, but still are all bent out of shape about how they ruined the glorious Knight job by calling them Paladins?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
he's bent out of shape that paladins get a heal spell and someone goes "pffft! what is this, world of warcraft, where they invented paladins healing?"

or was originally anyways and then a stupid semantics argument started

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

vOv posted:

Besides whoever Sasamo is, there's also eighty steps in four groups of twenty.

KoB
May 1, 2009

seiferguy posted:

Speaking of PLD, I almost have mine to level 50. Are the Marauder cross-class skills worth getting? I mainly picked PLD because CNJ / WHM was my main class and it seemed like an easy extension. Mercy Stroke seems legit, but I'm wondering if it's worth going for ala Swiftcast for mages.

PLD is the most self sufficient class and doesnt really need any cross class skills but the extra cooldowns are nice and Mercy Stroke is some bonus DPS at zero cost.

Then I run with Protect and Raise just for funsies really.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

pandaK posted:

Some enemies don't see very well, but have good hearing or tremorsense. If you're running, they'll aggro you, even if you run behind them.

Walking prevents that. In fact, I think you can stand right in front of most (all?) and they won't aggro you as long as you don't run.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jul 16, 2015

Space Mako
Feb 2, 2013

vOv posted:

Fernehalwes gave a few hints about it on the forums. Sasamo seemed to have been a sister to a past Sultana and may have plotted against her? She was said to have had an unconventional punishment. I'm assuming that punishment was the stairs.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Space Mako posted:

Fernehalwes gave a few hints about it on the forums. Sasamo seemed to have been a sister to a past Sultana and may have plotted against her? She was said to have had an unconventional punishment. I'm assuming that punishment was the stairs.

Bet they went all Cask of Amontillado on her.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sound aggro enemies will not aggro you at all if you don't run. So if you're walking near them, or if you're standing still (and they come over to you), they won't aggro.

The only real difference in paladin cross-class compared to 2.x is that even cross-classed protect is now full power. In most circumstances this amounts to sniping it at the beginning of an instance before a healer gets around to it, but it's a bit more useful when it comes to re-buffing someone who got a mid-combat raise. (Considering that if someone died mid-combat, it's more likely than not that the healer(s) are spread a little more thin than usual, and saving them the trouble is nice.)

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

KoB posted:

PLD is the most self sufficient class and doesnt really need any cross class skills but the extra cooldowns are nice and Mercy Stroke is some bonus DPS at zero cost.

Then I run with Protect and Raise just for funsies really.

ForesightForebearance is also nice to pair with Awareness since they share the same cooldown and both are rather weak individually.

Cross Class Stoneskin and Protect at full power is awesome though (even if that full power is a little weaker.)

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 16, 2015

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Xenoveritas posted:

So you're aware that the localization team works very closely with the lore team and passes things like the names of jobs and classes by them, but still are all bent out of shape about how they ruined the glorious Knight job by calling them Paladins?

Good job not reading poo poo and being brain dead. Yeah they work so close with them that they had to rename a boss cause they forgot that the EN localization already used that name. Such close work they do.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
But is it pronounced SEH-sil or SEE-sil?

Or is it ... suh-SEEL?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

EponymousMrYar posted:

Forebearance is also nice to pair with Awareness since they share the same cooldown and both are rather weak individually.

...Did you mean Foresight?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...Did you mean Foresight?

Yes. I know too many words and mix and match them up in weird circumstances.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Which scrip book do I want to get first? The Master or the Delineation?

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Belzac posted:

Good job not reading poo poo and being brain dead. Yeah they work so close with them that they had to rename a boss cause they forgot that the EN localization already used that name. Such close work they do.

anecdotal evidence doesn't fly, fool.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm cool with the localization team we have as long as we keep getting names like "rear end-ians" :iamafag:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Farg posted:

anecdotal evidence doesn't fly, fool.

What? Are you for real? Is it ancedotal if Koji himself wrote a post about it explaining the gently caress up in detail? That's like saying a confession is anecdotal.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/178311-The-Sad-Tale-of-Phlegethon-and-Acheron

• Locked thread