Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spleen merchant
Jul 1, 2007
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

beato posted:

I'm sorrier.

His teeth look like they are about to burst.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Dienes posted:

His teeth look like they are about to burst.

That's halitosis. It was invented by QI in the 1920's to sell quiz shows.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Of course it's Florida.

ironcladfolly
May 22, 2007

Devil's Favorite Doggie
I liked this thread better when soapboxing about how you don't think something is funny was probatable.

Too bad humour's not subjective or anything like that. Would save us all a lot of bickering.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Picnic Princess posted:

Look how loving cool and funny I am by not liking QI, you guys! Suck my dick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4KOw38XVSw

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I get the same feeling.

I'm curious though if it's just loosely scripted, or completely down on paper like @Midnight where they're all "Here's your jokes, read them in order."

A few years ago Fry complained about one regular guest that demands to see all the questions beforehand so that they can work out their own jokes. Now I'm curious to know who this person is.

ETA: My guess has always been John Sessions.

bean_shadow has a new favorite as of 16:10 on Jul 16, 2015

an overdue owl
Feb 26, 2012

hoot

Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive is a pretty good panel show/comedy show 'about' panel shows - "it concerns the making of a comedy panel game show called Annually Retentive, themed around historical events, and hosted by Welsh comedian Rob Brydon. The show is deliberately parodic, as Brydon plays a hyper-realised version of himself, while the game show blatantly steals ideas from other, similar shows such as Have I Got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock The Week and QI."

I think as a parody it really is spot on and a lot of the guests on their fake panel show are people who regularly show up on actual UK panel shows. I don't know how much of the humour would come across if you weren't already familiar with UK panel show conventions though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cviMfxfZcXg

a clip that might not play outside the uk

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

bean_shadow posted:

A few years ago Fry complained about one regular guest that demands to see all the questions beforehand so that they can work out their own jokes. Now I'm curious to know who this person is.

Oh good god, Sessions is so painfully unfunny.

Every other person on QI is there to inform you and make you laugh. Sessions only goes on so he can see himself in the monitor.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

bean_shadow posted:

A few years ago Fry complained[/url] about one regular guest that demands to see all the questions beforehand so that they can work out their own jokes. Now I'm curious to know who this person is.

I am thinking Carr. Sessions isn't a regular and Carr gives the impression of everything being carefully prepared beforehand (yes, I know he is great with hecklers, but they can be canned responses)

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

spog posted:

Sessions isn't a regular

According to Wikipedia, he was a regular until a few years ago, and then went from multiple appearances per season every season to one in seven years.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Mierenneuker posted:

Never Mind the Buzzcocks would just break them.

This is literally true; we were binge watching NMTB a couple years ago and I laughed so hard I over-stressed my diaphragm and physically couldn't laugh anymore.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Mierenneuker posted:

RIP mug 2013-2013

Phone posting so i can't find a picture but a dude threw a hissy fit (and a mug) and they just rolled the credits over a live shot of the mug and pit that at the end. drat brilliant the show that was the least deserving of the 'we want to try something different' axe it got because it was already the least panelly panel show out there.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Sighence posted:

RIP mug 2013-2013

Phone posting so i can't find a picture but a dude threw a hissy fit (and a mug) and they just rolled the credits over a live shot of the mug and pit that at the end. drat brilliant the show that was the least deserving of the 'we want to try something different' axe it got because it was already the least panelly panel show out there.

NMTBC was hilarious in its prime since it put uptight pop artists and sheltered socialites up against seasoned comedians, and some of them just couldn't handle being constantly and ruthlessly mocked on camera

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Krowley posted:

NMTBC was hilarious in its prime since it put uptight pop artists and sheltered socialites up against seasoned comedians, and some of them just couldn't handle being constantly and ruthlessly mocked on camera

I miss Mark Lamarr :(

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Sad lions posted:

I miss Mark Lamarr :(

Simon Amstell was a pretty great successor though. The Preston walkout was the greatest moment of panel show history.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need

Doesn't really change that much.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Ygolonac posted:

Doesn't really change that much.
God drat, I want to train this thing to see buesys and then run other poo poo through it to see buesys where buesys don't belong.

But buesy belongs everywhere.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I still like Bill Baileys taunt as to why he left Buzzcocks "I was sat next to Fern Cotton and I realised, I've got grade six clarinet I'm better than this".

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Evardraed needs to get on the deep dreaming image train.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Josef bugman posted:

I still like Bill Baileys taunt as to why he left Buzzcocks "I was sat next to Fern Cotton and I realised, I've got grade six clarinet I'm better than this".

What's his beef with Fearne Cotton? I mean, I've seen Keith Lemon give her enormous amounts of poo poo on Celebrity Juice, but is it just him and Bailey, or is this a national pastime?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

budgieinspector posted:

What's his beef with Fearne Cotton? I mean, I've seen Keith Lemon give her enormous amounts of poo poo on Celebrity Juice, but is it just him and Bailey, or is this a national pastime?

National passtime. She isn't that unpopular, just seen to represent a kind of shift towards American style "Presenters who are pretty and don't really do much else" style of thing. I think Bill just really disliked buzzcocks by the end.

Which is weird because he always seems like the chillest of the British Comedians. The whole bit with him and Rachel Riley (from Countdown) and her "stalking" him was hilarious.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Mierenneuker posted:

I went to a live taping of NMTB in the Mark Lamarr days and I can say that it's about 20% scripted jokes, 30% funny off the cuff wit, and 50% hilarious but unbroadcastable slander and libel. Mark Lamarr is a complete arsehole and brutally funny. But he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

minato posted:

I went to a live taping of NMTB in the Mark Lamarr days and I can say that it's about 20% scripted jokes, 30% funny off the cuff wit, and 50% hilarious but unbroadcastable slander and libel. Mark Lamarr is a complete arsehole and brutally funny. But he seems to have disappeared off the face of the planet.

I really wanna binge through Lamarr era buzzcocks but between his accent, the extremely nasal voice, and youtube audio compression it's just straight up impossible to understand him

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Krowley posted:

I really wanna binge through Lamarr era buzzcocks but between his accent, the extremely nasal voice, and youtube audio compression it's just straight up impossible to understand him

I'm American and watched every episode of Mark Lamarr Buzzcocks on Youtube and never had a problem. And one of my ears doesn't work.

Firos posted:

Simon Amstell was a pretty great successor though. The Preston walkout was the greatest moment of panel show history.

Simon was so much of an rear end in a top hat Phil almost quit the show. Mark was way better, he made fun of you but in a loving way.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Every other person on QI is there to inform you and make you laugh. Sessions only goes on so he can see himself in the monitor.

It's totally that smug gently caress John Sessions.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

God drat, I want to train this thing to see buesys and then run other poo poo through it to see buesys where buesys don't belong.

But buesy belongs everywhere.

They have a feedback thing when you generate an image. I passed on your sentiment to them.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
It's the "Watching You Bathe on Meth SpongeBob!"

Ah nuts! Sorry for tables; I'm posting this from my phone and didn't know the dimensions. Can a mod either re-size or delete this photo? I can re-host from home if needed.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

KittenofDoom has a new favorite as of 01:40 on Jul 17, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Frankie Boyle on Never Mind The Buzzcocks. Someone should have warned Michelle Williams.
Nws jokes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jo2aUWfzBfE

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

I'm American

In which case you're familiar with stupid accents

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

KittenofDoom posted:

It's the "Watching You Bathe on Meth SpongeBob!"

Ah nuts! Sorry for tables; I'm posting this from my phone and didn't know the dimensions. Can a mod either re-size or delete this photo? I can re-host from home if needed.

All you have to do is change your [img] tags to [timg] and you're set.

hungry for crepes n shit
Aug 17, 2005

Gorilla Salad posted:

I remember watching Sessions on the British Whose Line way back when, and he was totally insufferable there too.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007

Sharpe posted:

I remember watching Sessions on the British Whose Line way back when, and he was totally insufferable there too.

Yeah he thought it was "his" show. And he was obviously talented or whatever, but he was such a jerk about it.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

an overdue owl posted:

Rob Brydon's Annually Retentive is a pretty good panel show/comedy show 'about' panel shows - "it concerns the making of a comedy panel game show called Annually Retentive, themed around historical events, and hosted by Welsh comedian Rob Brydon. The show is deliberately parodic, as Brydon plays a hyper-realised version of himself, while the game show blatantly steals ideas from other, similar shows such as Have I Got News For You, Never Mind the Buzzcocks, Mock The Week and QI."

I think as a parody it really is spot on and a lot of the guests on their fake panel show are people who regularly show up on actual UK panel shows. I don't know how much of the humour would come across if you weren't already familiar with UK panel show conventions though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cviMfxfZcXg

a clip that might not play outside the uk

Random fact: Rob Brydon comes from the same area in Wales as Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins. Port Talbot I believe. Something about Port Talbot that makes some people try their hardest to get out.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

bean_shadow posted:

Random fact: Rob Brydon comes from the same area in Wales as Richard Burton and Anthony Hopkins. Port Talbot I believe. Something about Port Talbot that makes some people try their hardest to get out.

Didn't he go to school with Catherine Zeta Jones or something like that? FYI Catherine Zeta Jones is Welsh.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The best Nevermind the Buzzcocks moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPvYSJyNwdI

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 04:06 on Jul 17, 2015

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

bean_shadow posted:

It's probably the smell.

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bean_shadow posted:

Have you ever been there? I don't fuckin' blame them. I'm in Swansea and sometimes when the wind is right I can smell the place from here.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Cthulhuite posted:

It's probably the smell.

If there is such a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

bean_shadow posted:

Rob: "You know, my father grew up in the same street as Anthony Hopkins."
Stephen: "Yes... In England, we live in houses."

• Locked thread