Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
MacLachlan really does make it all worthwhile no matter what you think of the rest, though. It's an amazing broad dramatic performance and his character arc is really quite surprising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parachute
May 18, 2003

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

Well, that's because of Larry's tutelage, and his history of child abuse. He sees a world full of two kinds of people: the abusers and those that get abused and can't do anything about. He watches his dad beat his mom for years and her just roll over and do nothing because she was afraid. Michael's purpose is to basically murder anyone that hurts others. It's why when he joined the army they gave him a psych test and decided he can become an operative, his morality is perfectly tuned to be willing to do whatever it takes to protect those that can't protect themselves, including killing them. I don't think that he really enjoyed it, though, that's why hey brought Simon in, because he was basically Michael, but he enjoyed violence as recreation.

I totally forgot about Simon, drat! I think I just need to just rewatch that season again, because Garret Dillahunt is the man.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Changeling is up on Netflix. It's a drat fine film directed by a young man named Clint Eastwood and starring up-and-comer Angelina Jolie in a noir horror story.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

precision posted:

Changeling is up on Netflix. It's a drat fine film directed by a young man named Clint Eastwood and starring up-and-comer Angelina Jolie in a noir horror story.

I got really excited for a minute because I thought this was the George C Scott film The Changeling, which is also pretty great.

The Changeling is up on Youtube, so if you want to watch a horror movie about changelings you have some options!

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
On Amazon Prime I watched Coherence last weekend, and what a nice surprise of a movie. There is nothing like let's try this movie I never heard about (I'm sure it's been discussed, but I missed it), and you end up liking it. It's like a 90 minute Twilight Zone episode. Just curious about the ending, did anyone take that the phone call the boyfriend received at the end was from her at the beginning of the movie? Or was it was her other self that she tried to call in the bathroom? I took that it was from her at the start of the movie, because after the drugging from behind and the beating, I'm not sure the other her knew what was going on at all..

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

precision posted:

Yeah as much as I don't like Mystic River, Changeling is really loving good. It's a really slow burn and looks pretty muted but it really works.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nate fisher posted:

On Amazon Prime I watched Coherence last weekend, and what a nice surprise of a movie. There is nothing like let's try this movie I never heard about (I'm sure it's been discussed, but I missed it), and you end up liking it. It's like a 90 minute Twilight Zone episode. Just curious about the ending, did anyone take that the phone call the boyfriend received at the end was from her at the beginning of the movie? Or was it was her other self that she tried to call in the bathroom? I took that it was from her at the start of the movie, because after the drugging from behind and the beating, I'm not sure the other her knew what was going on at all..

Seconding this recommendation. Try to go in as blind as possible if you can.

yeah, I took the second phone call as a sign that there are two of her in this universe/dimension.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Halfway through the new batch of Bojack Horseman. Like the last season it has its share of stumbles but overall it's pretty funny and satisfying and I love the voice cast and the visual style and the stupid animal gags. The show's world already feels really expansive and absorbing and perfectly weird.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Technetium posted:

Watched Creep last night. If you like Mark Duplass and want to see him try a different role than his usual it's not bad. The ending in particular is well done.

precision posted:

I watched Creep knowing absolutely nothing about it. I recommend you all do the same.

My guilty pleasure is watching horror movies on Netflix that I know nothing about. Creep was really well done, and definitely deserving of its name. IMDB says this is the first of a trilogy, but I don't see it still being creepy if you know what happens in this movie.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Bojack Horseman season 2 is up. If you haven't done yourself the favor, watch the first 3 or 4 episodes (until the sad cat-lady one) of groaners before it gets heavy, and then decide if it's any good. I'm fuckin' ecstatic that they have a new season.. Because I don't wanna live in a society where the pre-meal bread isn't free.

edit: I thought I was tripping then I realized that I had it set to english audio - audio description.. "A penguin jumps off the roof!" "posters, dolls,. and memorabilia of a gren monsters - flashback! todd is tied up and gets punched in the face!" "look! a horse!" :catdrugs:

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jul 18, 2015

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears
Joe Dirt 2 is on Crackle.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

cstang posted:

Joe Dirt 2 is on Crackle.

The trailer had Patrick Warburton as a biker, is he a major character? Because gently caress it, I've watched worse for him.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Todd Barry's Crowd Work is on Netflix instant now. It's hilarious and I highly recommend it.

cstang
Oct 27, 2005

Da Bears

Sleeveless posted:

The trailer had Patrick Warburton as a biker, is he a major character? Because gently caress it, I've watched worse for him.

He is in the movie quite a bit, too bad the movie itself is terrible. I loved and still watch the first Joe Dirt, but I never got into this one. Might have to give it another shot when I'm not so tired.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

coyo7e posted:

edit: I thought I was tripping then I realized that I had it set to english audio - audio description.. "A penguin jumps off the roof!" "posters, dolls,. and memorabilia of a gren monsters - flashback! todd is tied up and gets punched in the face!" "look! a horse!" :catdrugs:

That's hilarious. Gonna have to watch a few minutes of it that way.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
Audio Description is hella interesting, and I'm glad Netflix added it. Both for me to listen to it, and also, you know, for the people who actually need it.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Loki_XLII posted:

Audio Description is hella interesting, and I'm glad Netflix added it. Both for me to listen to it, and also, you know, for the people who actually need it.

I kind of wish there was a way to download the descriptive audio track off of Netflix so you could just listen to their TV shows like audio books or radio plays.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really enjoyed Creep . Mark Duplass scaring the poo poo out of himself at the end cracked me up.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

NESguerilla posted:

I really enjoyed Creep . Mark Duplass scaring the poo poo out of himself at the end cracked me up.

Yeah, I really liked that.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is The Young Doctor's Notebook good?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yes, very.

Season 2 is much funnier, but both seasons are good.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

It definitely a solid a black comedy, and the episodes are short so I say go for it. It's not spectacular, not like it was written by Leopold Leopoldovitch or anything, but it is certainly worth a watch.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Whoever suggested Legit, thank you. I hits a lot of Louie vibes, and DJ qualls is great.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

NESguerilla posted:

That was absolutely perfect.:allears:

To whoever recommended Creep, thank you. That movie was wonderful and Mark Duplass is getting into the kind of adventurous acting that makes me like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling so much. He is so drat entertaining.

If you're thinking about the movie, please go in blind. It pays off in a big way.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

It's really good

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

NESguerilla posted:

That bit is so good.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
God drat guys, season 2 of Bojack Horseman is so good. Even the dumb offhand jokes and wacky hijinks type stuff is really good this season, they really figured that show out. There's also a really clever layer of stuff going on underneath but I don't wanna say much more since it's fun to spot on your own. What a great show.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Two things you absolutely need to watch right now:

Doug Stanhope: Beer Hall Putsch. Holy poo poo Doug Stanhope is the best comedian working.

Lost Soul - a documentary on the making of Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Chichevache posted:

That was absolutely perfect.:allears:

To whoever recommended Creep, thank you. That movie was wonderful and Mark Duplass is getting into the kind of adventurous acting that makes me like Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Gosling so much. He is so drat entertaining.

If you're thinking about the movie, please go in blind. It pays off in a big way.

I've only really known him from The League before, what other stuff has he done that would make you put him with Gyllenhaal/Gosling (if not in quality, but in the more out there roles)? Genuinely wondering because the other two are easily some of my fav actors working, largely because a lot of their stuff is so bizarre.

And I'll also throw my recommendation in for Creep, was a cool movie.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

precision posted:

Two things you absolutely need to watch right now:

Doug Stanhope: Beer Hall Putsch. Holy poo poo Doug Stanhope is the best comedian working.

Lost Soul - a documentary on the making of Richard Stanley's The Island of Dr. Moreau.

Oh god, they finally made a documentary about that trainwreck? gently caress yes

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Oh god, they finally made a documentary about that trainwreck? gently caress yes

The best/worst parts are all the interviews with Fairuza Balk. She's obviously the person who cared the most about Richard Stanley and the film in general, but also completely loving nuts.

:raise: "She got in a car and said drive me to Sydney, across the continent."
:j: "I may have done that, I don't remember how I got there."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I've only really known him from The League before, what other stuff has he done that would make you put him with Gyllenhaal/Gosling (if not in quality, but in the more out there roles)? Genuinely wondering because the other two are easily some of my fav actors working, largely because a lot of their stuff is so bizarre.

He has his show on HBO called togetherness and he's also in a really good movie called the one I love that is on Netflix as well.

I'm also a fan of him right now. I just think he's a good actor doing good stuff atm. I can't stand the league though.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

alansmithee posted:

Only things I've seen him in are Creep and The One I Love, also on Netflix, but both are fantastic, so if his other stuff is that quality, I could see him in the same league as Gosling/Gyllenhaal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

cat doter posted:

God drat guys, season 2 of Bojack Horseman is so good. Even the dumb offhand jokes and wacky hijinks type stuff is really good this season, they really figured that show out. There's also a really clever layer of stuff going on underneath but I don't wanna say much more since it's fun to spot on your own. What a great show.

I'm a sucker for the animal jokes/puns. Like how in the first episode there is a movie director named Goose Van Sant, and you never even see him but you know he's got a goose head.

There are scenes that aren't all that funny but it doesn't even matter because of poo poo like a seal in a 50's beehive hairdo waiting tables in the background.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

alansmithee posted:

The One I Love is on netflix. Just like Creep, go in as blind as possible.

Loki_XLII posted:

Only things I've seen him in are Creep and The One I Love, also on Netflix, but both are fantastic, so if his other stuff is that quality, I could see him in the same league as Gosling/Gyllenhaal.

Yup. I'm not saying he is on their level in raw talent, yet, but I lump the three of them together as mainstream actors who are willing to branch out and try really different roles. They're not one-note character guys, they're willing to try really extreme and disturbing roles that, for some reason or other, really stand out to me. Tom Hardy is a bit like that as well, though outside of Locke (which is amazing!) he usually plays varying degrees of "tough guy".

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Loki_XLII posted:

He also was in an entertaining film called Safety Not Guaranteed, which unfortunately is no longer on Netflix streaming anymore, where he basically pulled off a role similar to what Gosling did in Lars and the Real Girl (i.e. comes off as charming in a role that could easily come off as creepy if you didn't play it right). Also, before Togetherness, he wrote/directed a bunch of films with his brother that veer on the side of typical "indie dramedy" but were still well made for what they were.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

precision posted:

This was fairly good, but a bit uneven in parts. How did they not even mention that Rob Morrow got replaced with David Thewlis? They just mention that Rob Morrow left.... and then leave it at that. And could they not have got Kilmer in there to comment. That dude is like a D-Tier actor these days, I'm sure he would've shown up if they promised coffee and donuts.

I love watching Richard Stanley though. He's got the weirdest accent, and everything he says sounds like he was up the previous night rehearsing it in the mirror.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This was fairly good, but a bit uneven in parts. How did they not even mention that Rob Morrow got replaced with David Thewlis? They just mention that Rob Morrow left.... and then leave it at that. And could they not have got Kilmer in there to comment. That dude is like a D-Tier actor these days, I'm sure he would've shown up if they promised coffee and donuts.

Thewlis didn't even go to the film's premiere, so he may have not wanted to be in the documentary at all. I would assume the same is true for Kilmer, for different reasons. I don't think Kilmer is actually that desperate.

Then again, Kilmer was in Twixt just a few years ago and that is the most baffling and terrible movie in a while. (It's also on Netflix, I highly recommend it for unintentional hilarity.)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I saw Safety Not Guaranteed and liked that (didn't realize Duplass was in that as well) and I don't mind The League although he's kinda the most generic dude in there (somewhat reminds me of Jerry Seinfeld's "character" in Seinfeld).

I'll definitely have to check out The One I Love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Chichevache posted:

The One I Love is on netflix. Just like Creep, go in as blind as possible.

Yup. I'm not saying he is on their level in raw talent, yet, but I lump the three of them together as mainstream actors who are willing to branch out and try really different roles. They're not one-note character guys, they're willing to try really extreme and disturbing roles that, for some reason or other, really stand out to me. Tom Hardy is a bit like that as well, though outside of Locke (which is amazing!) he usually plays varying degrees of "tough guy".

I watched Creep blind and hated it. Totally the wrong kind of movie for me. If I had heard the plot, I would have passed on it in a second and not wasted my time.