Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuck Finley
Oct 27, 2010

No Safe Word posted:

Mediumcore on expert is totally doable if you pace yourself correctly and plan accordingly. Once you get enough material for a grappling hook and a backup one, you're basically good. Especially if you have a mirror or enough stuff to make recall potions. When you die just run to get your stuff, then wall yourself in and re-equip or recall home. If you had a full inventory, rinse and repeat till you get it all.

Singleplayer mediumcore on expert sounds awful, it was hard enough in a multiplayer game with a friend. I can't imagine being down underground, loving about with storage in your tiny room filled with chests, because why the gently caress give us this many items and not bigger chests gently caress YOU, and bam, Solar Eclipse. Well I sure as poo poo hope you didn't kill all the mechanical bosses or else enjoy getting killed constantly by a big dumb moth that flies through walls. At least it's a small consolation that it only lasts the night.

Now that I think about it, there is so much bullshit stuff that can happen that would be awful without a second person to help you out. Post-plantera and just stepped on a TNT pressure plate in the bottom of some abyss in the middle of nowhere? Have fun with that, and of course a solar eclipse/blood moon/martian invasion/full moon happens. Get hosed idiot bitch nerd. Of course you can always throw on your backup gear in one of your 2000 chests you have, properly labelled and sorted of course. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I just got two mini minotaurs and a zephyr fish. Hard choices...

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I'm not having much luck with these fishing quests. I'm using the 40% rod, the 50% bait, and even potions. On most quests, I catch a lot of crates and rare fish but not the quest fish. If I ever catch a quest fish, it's in the first ten casts. Does the Hallow spread affect the quests? I'm even confirming that I'm in the right place via GPS.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

drat, I've backed up and restarted 3 times to kill the WoF, and each time the hallow has generated on the right side instead of the left. is this predetermined?

e: oops, looks like it was the corruption all along. still, I never thought it would be consistent each time, interesting.

that ivy guy fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jul 17, 2015

Tenbux McGee
Jun 23, 2005
I had :tenbux:
Seriously, if you're playing on medium in an Expert world, you're some kind of insane self-loathing lunatic. Hardmode underground jungle was batshit insane frustrating enough on softcore, and all I lose is money. You are under constant, never ending assault from machinegun stinger hornets that can peel your chlorophyte armor off in ~6 hits, continually in danger of having giant turtles crush your stupid rear end head flat out of nowhere, and GOD HELP YOU if the junger ever intersects with a marble biome. A medusa will wonder in at just the perfect moment and freeze you just in time for three turtles to land on you.
Then there's Plantera. Miss a step in that fight and you're done. Or you could wind up like me: My chlorophyte armor auto attack somehow managed to spawn TWO queen bees while I was in plantera's angry hook spamming phase. I was able to laugh at this absurd situation because I respawned nearby with all my gear and knew where to find three more bulbs. If I had to go through hornet bullet hell to get my stuff back without all my +4 armor accessories, there'd be a fist sized hole in my monitor. And a lot of blood all over the place.

Tyty posted:

They opened my doors. I don't really have my base proofed against that yet, mostly because zombies couldn't get to my doors until recently to bust them open on bloodmoons.
This is actually really easy to prevent. Put any furniture item right against the door. It will no longer open inward, but can open outward. If you need to get in from outside, just look away and activate the door. Since it can't open inward, enemies can't bash it open. Probably. I've watched pirates and even solar eclipse mobs (the ones that can't pass through blocks..) bash in vain. It won't stop wraiths, mothron babies, or a goblin summoner and his big "gently caress YOU" fists, of course. I've had a door broken where it drops as an item, but that hasn't ever happened to my furniture-barricaded base doors. Just a marble door to a shack outside. It always happens offscreen, so I've never seen what breaks it.

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

LLCoolJD posted:

I'm not having much luck with these fishing quests. I'm using the 40% rod, the 50% bait, and even potions. On most quests, I catch a lot of crates and rare fish but not the quest fish. If I ever catch a quest fish, it's in the first ten casts. Does the Hallow spread affect the quests? I'm even confirming that I'm in the right place via GPS.

Yeah, spreading biomes prevent you from getting the generic biome fish. Hope you've got the Clentaminator available.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
The Depth biomes being last in priority is some bullshit. Why can't they just let the fishing spot count for all the biomes it's in anyway? Like if Hallow has taken over Snow at the Cavern layer you could get Hallow, Snow and Cavern drops from it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright what kind of asinine spawning requirement is this;

quote:

The Rainbow Slime requires unique spawning conditions. It will only spawn outside The Hallow biome while it is raining or during a blizzard, but only when the player is physically within a hallowed biome. In other words, it does not spawn directly on hallowed blocks, but instead spawns on non-hallowed blocks such as normal grass or snow.

Why would you do this?

VVV Yeah but I don't have hallowed snow in my world so I would have never seen one if I didn't look up its ridiculous requirements.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 17, 2015

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Verviticus posted:

i think in 1.1? they made almost every item blue and not destroyed by lava. i guess if you die in lava you lose ores and poo poo, that kind of sucks

iirc Blues still get eaten by lava (bye Red Husk :() and armor doesn't start to get colored until Crimson/Corruption tier. There's just too much prep and frustration that goes into mediumcore. Our tipping point was a Slime Rain event. We couldn't get back to our stuff without dying, we couldn't get to our backup stuff without dying, and the whole time King Slime was warping directly on to us when we respawned. That was fun.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you do this?

It sounds kinda dumb but that just means the best place to run into one is hallowed snow. You're counted as being in a hallowed biome, but almost every surface tile is a regular snow.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jul 17, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
No it can't spawn inside the Hallow biome at all. Thankfully surface Hallow biomes are usually pretty small since they're only created when Wall of Flesh is killed.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So really, the best idea in single player that won't make you bonkers is to make a normal world that you do all your exploring in. At the same time make an expert world you use to just summon the bosses and get their exclusive stuff if you care about it. That 6th slot doesn't REALLY matter, does it?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

So really, the best idea in single player that won't make you bonkers is to make a normal world that you do all your exploring in. At the same time make an expert world you use to just summon the bosses and get their exclusive stuff if you care about it. That 6th slot doesn't REALLY matter, does it?

It's nice to have but you don't really need it, no. All the other expert drops can be used in normal mode and some are quite nice, like the Mechanical Minecart.

Petah
Aug 24, 2006

Keeping the American Imperialists at bay since 1948
So I'm gonna make a softcore player to play in the same expert world. Do I have to worry about anything other than heart containers and mana? Do I need to re-fight any bosses?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Petah posted:

So I'm gonna make a softcore player to play in the same expert world. Do I have to worry about anything other than heart containers and mana? Do I need to re-fight any bosses?

Assuming you're giving all your stuff to the softcore, no, not really.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Ok so I got my cellphone and... It's too much information, I can see everything forever.

e: vvv yeah I just found that out, thank god vvv

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jul 17, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Well Solar Eruption is the most absurd weapon I've ever used. The only issue with it is accuracy at the end of its range but it's not a big deal.

Blackheart posted:

Ok so I got my cellphone and... It's too much information, I can see everything forever.

You can turn off any individual pieces of info you don't want by clicking the icons under minimap when you're in your inventory.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
So in multiplayer you can change the time of day, can that be used to try and induce a slime rain or other random events?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

RatHat posted:

The Depth biomes being last in priority is some bullshit. Why can't they just let the fishing spot count for all the biomes it's in anyway? Like if Hallow has taken over Snow at the Cavern layer you could get Hallow, Snow and Cavern drops from it.

Fishing in every game ever must be terrible. That's a legal requirement.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Tyty posted:

They opened my doors. I don't really have my base proofed against that yet, mostly because zombies couldn't get to my doors until recently to bust them open on bloodmoons.

Check my post history in this thread for how to use actuated walls as doors. Full speed, no clicking access for players, but NPCs treat them as walls instead of doors.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alternatively can't you just put a piece of furniture to block the door from opening towards the inside, but still letting it open to the outside? I fight all my battles down in a mushroom valley where Truffle lives but he never gets targeted because the invaders can't enter his house.

VVV Unless he didn't use fishing at all its not impressive. Fishing removes almost all of the danger from gearing up.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jul 17, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
There was a dude who beat the moon lord on expert hard mode hardcore. Let that sink in. Took him 8 worlds I think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
They should add a 0.01% chance to spawn Duke Fishron on any catch. And of course he'll instantly enrage if you're not in an ocean biome.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Light Shroomite Digging Claws and a mining potion pretty much let you move through stone at normal speed. Then a medusa turned me to stone and a hallowed mimic jumped onto my head.

Holyshoot posted:

There was a dude who beat the moon lord on expert hard mode hardcore. Let that sink in. Took him 8 worlds I think.

:psyduck:

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The wiki says the car key has the same drop rate as all the other stuff from the saucer but I don't believe it. If you could get banners from bosses I'm pretty sure I would have at one by now. I'll do one more invasion then I'm gonna say gently caress it and just inventory edit it in.

Holyshoot posted:

what the gently caress

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
What was the thing you edit to make your cursor giant and more easily visible?

Tyty posted:

Even in skybases you always put your doors two spaces above the ground since enemies can't open them then (or use actuators + switches on a wall).

People who think Mediumcore on Expert is ok are insane or simply haven't gotten very far yet. There's nothing interesting about dying and now having a race against time (and luck) to recover your gear, maybe, and being hosed out of said gear otherwise. Oh you just dropped your Ankh Shield when you died in lava? Ok go back and grab it... no sorry it's gone forever :fuckoff: scrub.

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

no, seriously, the combat in terraria is godawful. 75% of it boils down to gaming the system because if you're fighting anything more complicated than a generic enemy, such as a boss, you're going to be steamrolled without twinking yourself out and/or cheesing poo poo. why else do people get pissed when dumb exploit stuff is removed. adding in dropping poo poo on death is loving dumb.

Don't forget the arbitrary sequence breaking stuff that they remove (and add). People managing to rush right in to the dungeon and grab a chest, maybe two, before the guardian kills them? Now it's faster and even if you somehow avoid it long enough the chests are locked as well so goodluck getting a key and unlocking the chest to loot all in time.

....oh you went down to hell right away and managed to dodge a bunch of enemies that will wreck you in 1-2 shots long enough to loot some chests? Nope. We locked those and you need an item that might spawn in a dungeon chest if you want to loot those now.

By the way have you tried fishing? Because we've added easy to acquire fish that work as hellstone-grade tools, an autoswing melee weapon that's one of the best pre-hardmode, and a few other things. Go grab a reaver shark and then you're free to might through crimson/corruption or just head to hell and get hellstone to make molten gear and skip all the other normal mode progression. We're consistent! :downs:

Tenbux McGee posted:

Seriously, if you're playing on medium in an Expert world, you're some kind of insane self-loathing lunatic. Hardmode underground jungle was batshit insane frustrating enough on softcore, and all I lose is money.

The money trough is probably one of my favorite items. My brother found one almost immediately when we started playing 1.3 and I got one not too long in to hardmode. Total godsend of an item. Drop off your money periodically and also have extra space during those long exploration trips.

Bluemillion posted:

Light Shroomite Digging Claws and a mining potion pretty much let you move through stone at normal speed. Then a medusa turned me to stone and a hallowed mimic jumped onto my head.

I was going full speed in the mechanical minecart and a medusa turned me to stone, cratering me for 300 damage when I fell about a dozen tiles on to some honey blocks. :suicide:

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I killed expert Fishron last night and got his mount, is it worth trying to get a UFO still or is this better?

I didn't mean to do him on expert but forgot what world I was on when I started building my arena.

I guess it's finally time to kill the Moon Lord and put the game down for another year.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

VodeAndreas posted:

I killed expert Fishron last night and got his mount, is it worth trying to get a UFO still or is this better?

I didn't mean to do him on expert but forgot what world I was on when I started building my arena.

I guess it's finally time to kill the Moon Lord and put the game down for another year.

Apparently his mount is super fast in liquids. Giant honey pool arena, anyone?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

What was the thing you edit to make your cursor giant and more easily visible?

config.json
pre:
  "ThickMouseEdges": true,
  "ThickMouseEdgesPackedColor": 4294967295,

VodeAndreas posted:

Cute Fishron gives a speed (~31mph to ~60mph) and damage buff (17% I think) for 5s when you immerse your torso/head in liquid or just the speed buff portion if your HP is <50%; the UFO is faster than Cute Fishron normally is, doesn't give any buffs and breaks in the water.

dis astranagant posted:

Apparently his mount is super fast in liquids. Giant honey pool arena, anyone?

You don't even need a big arena, just some honey suspended in bubble blocks to pass through and get the buff periodically.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Read posted:

You don't even need a big arena, just some honey suspended in bubble blocks to pass through and get the buff periodically.

Well I know what I"m going to try and build for Moon Lord now.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

imho the beginning of hardmore is a bit frustrating. Cobalt is plent, yeah, but the second tier ore is so hard to find and fighting the bosses is impossible for me.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Michaellaneous posted:

imho the beginning of hardmore is a bit frustrating. Cobalt is plent, yeah, but the second tier ore is so hard to find and fighting the bosses is impossible for me.

Break more altars, break all but one of them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jusupov posted:

Break more altars, break all but one of them.

I can't find anymore.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

Alternatively can't you just put a piece of furniture to block the door from opening towards the inside, but still letting it open to the outside?
I had some invasion event actually pull the door down. Popped off as an item to pick up and everything.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Michaellaneous posted:

I can't find anymore.

How many did you break? In my small world I got like 7 or 8 third tier ores so far and I haven't bothered breaking more.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
this is why you use active stone blocks, or put you door high off the ground and just use grapples or ropes to get to them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Jusupov posted:

How many did you break? In my small world I got like 7 or 8 third tier ores so far and I haven't bothered breaking more.

I think like 6 or so. But orchasomething is just so drat hard to find, idk why.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Go deeper. It seems like the second two ore tiers are more common the farther down you go. Fastest way is to probably head down to hell and grapple/fly across the ceiling looking for ores there.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

also make sure to check your map, because it highlights clumps of ore and will say what they are if you mouse over them. orichalcum is like purple-pinkish or some poo poo. you'd be amazed at how much you passed by when exploring.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Spelunker's Potion + Metal Detector is a boon for hunting Adamantite/Titanium, you can run around scouting out veins with the detector and then find them with their glow from the potion. I usually just make the first tier of armour to help kill the mobs while I mine, then skip the 2nd tier and go right to the 3rd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Read posted:

He means an 'underwater' arena (actually under-honey) so maneuver around in on the aquatic mount.