Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

HappyHippo posted:

And talking about him is the only way they get in the news.

Or to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JT Jag posted:

She's actually just generally super-pro Israel, more than the average Dem

I don't think she's more pro-Israel than Bernie Sanders or any of the Republicans though. And actually, if she's so pro-Israel why'd Obama have such rocky relationship with them when she was Secretary of State for the first half of his administration?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

"This wouldn't have happened if those marines had guns." Yessssss.

Considering they it was basically a drive-by, the statement is even more dumb.

Then again, I fully expect the GOP candidates to endorse machine gun nests in recruitment offices along with open pointing.

greatn posted:

The median dem is also super pro Israel, even though there a large continent of Democrats who don't like them that much.
Yeah, Bibi did the pro-israel faction no favors with his stunts.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The median dem is also super pro Israel, even though there a large continent of Democrats who don't like them that much.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Democrazy posted:

Hot take: Trump is the id of the white working class American in the same mold as George Wallace. His "strategy" (does he have a strategy?) for electoral success is to gin up support among white working class voters who are being hurt by neo-liberalism but otherwise are too racist and reactionary to vote Democratic. He has the theatrical stylings of a George Wallace with the savvy to know how to keep in the news. Anti-free trade, nativism, "Bomb everyone" is classic popular demagoguery. Much like George Wallace, if he wants to hang around with this and be serious, I think he can find a steady base and make trouble for Rubio, Walker or Bush.

Can we just skip forward to the part where he gets shot and then becomes a good person?

AndNowMax
Sep 25, 2009

Fighting the fight for *mumble* *mumble*

Big, if true

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

McDowell posted:

If you think congress was 'tricked' into voting for the Iraq war I've got a New American Century to sell ya.

This is from a teensy while back but I think Biden was tricked into it, though not Congress as a whole.

If not, he certainly isn't for it now. :smith:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

AndNowMax posted:

Big, if true

Kohl's PAC confirmed

he can get quite a lot of khakis from that. Best part is that he can go into a Kohl's any time any day now anywhere in Wisconsin considering nobody has day offs now~

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Three Olives posted:

I feel weird asking this question but has Trump effectively just sucked all the air out of the GOP primary? I mean I follow politics fairly closely and I can't think of anything that the Not Trumps are talking about.

I'm sure the right wing media is covering the other stuff but when was the last time you heard anything interesting comping out of Rubio or Jeb! or Paul?

Trump might be bad for the party, but he's good for Bush (or possibly Walker or Rubio) since by taking up all that oxygen he's preventing any of the potential challengers hanging out at 5% from catching fire with the base. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul, for example, would both depend on some kind of media firestorm hyping them up as the outsider challenger to the establishment pick, and neither of them can possibly out-outsider Trump.

I suppose if we're in for another primary where a carousel of not-frontrunners cycle in and out of the top spot before the GOP settles, Trump might be doing them a favor for taking the first round so they don't peak too early, but that'll probably happen to them either way.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Maybe Scott is just confused and thinks Kohl's dick is actually a Koch dick.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

The Nastier Nate posted:

I've always been annoyed with politicians (mostly republicans, but democrats too) who will go to a synagogue or Jewish community center, say how good they are on Israel and expect the votes to come rolling in. I assume many Hispanic communities feel the same about immigration...yes it's an important issue, but I think most members of those communities would appreciate more what a politician can do for them, in this country, now.

I'm jewish, I've never been to Israel and I have one family member, a 4th cousin, living there whom I've met once in my life. My interests in Israel is only slightly more as a strategic ally in the middle east and not the "holy land we must protect at all costs!"

From my own experience, you're an outlier there. Every jewish person I know over the age of 40 is exactly that - Israel is the Holy Land and must be protected at any cost. Even ones who have never even visited or have family members there. In the younger demographic, there's more of an attitude split but there's still a decent number of those true Zionists there. You might not notice the folks who are as I've found (aside from Facebook, where they never shut up) it isn't brought up much. When it is, the reactions I find are often shock that anyone would dare to not give complete support to Israel in everything forever. There's definetly a very significant portion of the jewish community where it's not just a big deal, it's THE deal. I know lifelong Democratic voters who've sworn to never support the party again because Bibi doesn't like Obama.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

AndNowMax posted:

Big, if true

I hope this has been registered with the proper campaign finance officials :v:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Lol thats perfect in every single way

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Could Trump be considered a good thing for the rest because it shifts media attention away from, say, Bush putting his foot in his mouth again?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

From my own experience, you're an outlier there. Every jewish person I know over the age of 40 is exactly that - Israel is the Holy Land and must be protected at any cost. Even ones who have never even visited or have family members there. In the younger demographic, there's more of an attitude split but there's still a decent number of those true Zionists there. You might not notice the folks who are as I've found (aside from Facebook, where they never shut up) it isn't brought up much. When it is, the reactions I find are often shock that anyone would dare to not give complete support to Israel in everything forever. There's definetly a very significant portion of the jewish community where it's not just a big deal, it's THE deal. I know lifelong Democratic voters who've sworn to never support the party again because Bibi doesn't like Obama.

This. I have a large Jewish extended family and this is my experience.

At family gatherings the young are the ones who think Israel is a horrible apartheid state while the old ones (and very religious young) are all :byodood:ISRAEL GOOD PROTECT AT ALL COSTS:byodood:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Seriously? He's making this too easy.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Who the hell goes somewhere at 7am to see a politician?? :confused:

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Joke's on them. Trump can build the yoojest, classiest news website in the world to cover his candidacy better than any third-rate foreigner-created tabloid. And the first article might be to question how many interns Ariana raped.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

:laffo:

Chri$$$ Chri$$$tie

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Feather posted:

Joke's on them. Trump can build the yoojest, classiest news website in the world to cover his candidacy better than any third-rate foreigner-created tabloid. And the first article might be to question how many interns Ariana raped.

And it'd only cost three dollars

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Could Trump be considered a good thing for the rest because it shifts media attention away from, say, Bush putting his foot in his mouth again?

Along with preventing anyone else from gaining momentum to challenge Bush. So he's good for Bush, likely bad for everyone else.

Of course, if/when his candidacy tanks will be the deciding bit. If he burns out within a month (brightest flame burns quickest!) then it'll be a black eye for the party but the clown car will roll on. If he makes it to november/december, then he'll probably have Norquisted the other non-Bush candidates and drowned their chances.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

AndNowMax posted:

Big, if true

Scott Walker reminds me of the "Area Man" that the Onion kept using to write articles at one point:

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-confounded-by-buffet-procedure-1609

http://www.theonion.com/article/area-man-to-hang-out-at-mcdonalds-for-20-minutes-u-2789

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Raskolnikov38 posted:

look buddy if you can't figure out super delegate apportionment at a glance I dunno what to tell ya

Super delegate apportionment is really easy because they are all unpledged PLEOs. All you have to do is count the endorsements.

That's why Hillary is currently leading the Democratic field with 121 delegates (88 House Reps, 27 Senators, 4 Governors, 1 ex-DNC chairman, 1 ex-President) to none for anyone else.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

richardfun posted:

olds

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

OAquinas posted:

Along with preventing anyone else from gaining momentum to challenge Bush. So he's good for Bush, likely bad for everyone else.

Of course, if/when his candidacy tanks will be the deciding bit. If he burns out within a month (brightest flame burns quickest!) then it'll be a black eye for the party but the clown car will roll on. If he makes it to november/december, then he'll probably have Norquisted the other non-Bush candidates and drowned their chances.

If he makes it to November/December and he's still polling neck-and-neck with first I'd have to assume it'd be the not-Bush candidates dropping out and Trump reaping the benefits. We are not so lucky to live in the world where the field whittles to Rubio, Bush and Walker splitting the "sane" Republican votes and Trump leading the pack with every ounce of crazy.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I've seen Scott Brown meet with a lot of the GOP candidates. Is he trying for VP or something.

lookoutbelow
Mar 3, 2004

richardfun posted:

Welcome to New Hampshire.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tempest_56 posted:

My grandpa was a rabbi, some of his cousins that never got out of Poland/Lithuania when his side of the family did got killed in the Holocaust, and the congregation he led, which was mostly quite old Jews, had a strong stance on raising money for the Palestinians around the high holy days and passover. Because they saw Israel's treatment of the Palestinians as just like the Nazis did to their own family members starting in the late 70s.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Skwirl posted:

You don't like Football? I don't think you should be allowed to vote if you don't like Football.

He's right about July though, woof.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tigntink posted:

If for some reason military was allowed to carry regularly on base again (other than MPs) we'd probably see a pretty big bump in suicides and then they'd just handwave that. Disillusioned soldiers sitting around with guns is pretty much the worst. My sister and brother are both long time military and they've gone through some pretty heavy depression after coming back from iraq and afganistan.

quote:

US military brass have been spending a lot of time and money looking at how best to reduce the suicide rate among US troops, which has skyrocketed in recent years. They have concluded that it's false to assume that people intent on killing themselves will find a way to do it even if they can't get a gun. In a report to Congress in July, the Military Suicide Research Consortium noted that "Studies demonstrate that method substitution is rare."

That's why simple things that can delay access to a gun, like mandatory background checks for all handgun purchases—including private sales—like those that would be required by a new bill recently passed by a Senate committee, can make a big difference in preventing suicide. States with such a requirement have a gun suicide rate 50 percent lower than states that don't, even when their non-gun suicide rates are about the same.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2013/03/suicides-vs-handgun-background-checks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oh, and also hoping that more no content posters don't start coming in here due to the forum change.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Massasoit posted:

I've seen Scott Brown meet with a lot of the GOP candidates. Is he trying for VP or something.

It's part of the Bqhatevwr Tour 2016.

Ralp
Aug 19, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How come people keep posting the work yooj or yoog in this forum? It's crypto admin sass isn't it. I'm gonna get em.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

Oh, and also hoping that more no content posters don't start coming in here due to the forum change.

I'm just happy that the Hillary/Bernie purity rundown finally has its own boring thread.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Ralp posted:

How come people keep posting the work yooj or yoog in this forum? It's crypto admin sass isn't it. I'm gonna get em.

It's a reference to how Donald Trump pronounces "huge".

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

It's a reference to how Donald Trump pronounces "huge".

It's sass ban everyone

rules posted:

Don't post like a loving moron.

Posting like trump violates im pretty sure

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Shageletic posted:

On the plus side, the forum change coincided with the first acceptance of one of my title suggestions. :toot:

I am admittedly regretting leaving out the capitalization, but maybe it fits the new subforum better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So I'm bored at work and loving around with 270towin.

This is a map of everything that, in 2012, was won by 10%+. Dems lead it by 37 EVs.

This is a map of what was won by 7%+. Notable since it assigns 5 10+ EV states. Dems still lead, now by 26 EVs.

This is that same map again, this time for wins 5%+. Anything from this point less, the Dems win. Meaning the GOP can take Florida, Ohio, Virginia and North Carolina (ie every 'swing' state) and they still lose.

This is a slightly different map - it looks at historical voting records. It gives to each party any state that's gone for them in at least five of the last six elections (six picked mostly because Reagan/Mondale throws a lot of things off if you go further back). I think it's more accurate as (for example) despite North Carolina being a close vote in 2012, it's only gone D twice in the last forty years and seeing it switch sides isn't that likely. Dems lead this map by a whopping 99 EVs.

So we tweak the two together to reflect the 2012 results and the historical trends and we get this. All the states assigned that were either won by 7%+ in the last election or have distinctly favored one party over the other in recent history. Dems advantage, 51 EVs, five states still up in the air. This map is probably fairly accurate to our 2016 end results and shows that the GOP's got a pretty big hole to dig out of - they need to win Ohio, Virginia, Florida AND either Colorado or Nevada. A 7% swing is probably more than the current Republican field can honestly get - complain about Clinton all you want, but Hillary's strong enough to eat most of the GOP field for breakfast. Even Bernie in the least favorable light is probably capable of keeping it to no worse than a 10% swing against most of the potential opponents.

Folks think this is a fairly accurate perspective this early in the campaign?

• Locked thread