Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-07-17/canada-inflation-accelerates-on-higher-food-shelter-prices

quote:

Menu

Search

Canada Inflation Accelerates on Higher Food, Shelter Prices

by Greg Quinn

July 17, 2015 — 5:30 AM PDTUpdated on July 17, 2015 — 7:12 AM PDT

Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Canada’s annual inflation rate quickened to 1 percent in June as food and shelter costs increased and energy provided less of a drag, providing no impetus for the central bank to change course on loose monetary policy.

Consumer prices accelerated from a 0.9 percent pace in May, Statistics Canada said Friday in Ottawa, as meat, dairy and bakery products and fresh fruit grew dearer.

Bank of Canada policy makers cut interest rates this week, saying a weak economy threatened to keep inflation from returning to its 2 percent target. The currency depreciated to the lowestsince 2009 on speculation price gains aren’t enough to eliminate the chance of another central-bank rate cut.

“Expectations are more biased for another rate cut,” Jack Spitz, managing director of foreign exchange at National Bank of Canada in Toronto, said by telephone. “Core CPI is less meaningful to the bank than non-energy exports and gross domestic product at this stage of the game.”

The core rate, which excludes eight volatile products such as energy, accelerated to 2.3 percent, close to the March reading of 2.4 percent that was the fastest since 2008.

Canada’s dollar dropped to C$1.3008 per U.S. dollar today. Two-year bond yields rose 1 basis point to 0.43 percent and 30-year securities fell to 2.25 percent from 2.27 percent.

The plunge in crude oil prices has driven down inflation and also triggered four straight monthly declines in output. At the same time, core prices have remained elevated on higher costs for meat and telecommunications products.

Energy Costs

Economists surveyed by Bloomberg forecast Friday’s report would show overall inflation at 1 percent and the core rate remaining at 2.2 percent.

Energy costs fell 9 percent in June from 12 months earlier, less than May’s 11.8 percent rate of decline. Excluding energy the inflation rate slowed to 2.1 percent from 2.2 percent.

The central bank sets interest rates to keep inflation in the middle of a 1 percent to 3 percent band, and it estimates consumer price gains averaged 0.9 percent in the second quarter, and will quicken to 2.1 percent by the end of the first quarter of next year. Core prices averaged 2.2 percent in the second quarter and will slow to 2 percent between October and December, the bank predicts.

Core inflation has exceeded the Bank of Canada’s 2 percent target for overall inflation since August. Friday’s report showed meat costs rose at a 6.6 percent pace and telephone services by 3.9 percent. Shelter costs rose at a 1 percent annual pace, accelerating from 0.5 percent in May.

On a monthly basis, total inflation rose 0.2 percent in June, slowing from a 0.6 percent increase in May. The core index of prices was unchanged.

On a seasonally adjusted basis, consumer prices rose 0.4 percent for a second month in June. The adjusted core rate of inflation quickened to 0.3 percent from 0.2 percent.

I think this isn't quite the inflation effect that we want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

eXXon posted:

On the next episode of Fraser institute, we survey rich people on our mailing list that we hand picked to see if they agree with our ideology based on a series of leading questions and bad data.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

computer parts posted:

It's opportunity cost, to be accurate.

Yes, true.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

quote:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/bank-of-canada-rate-cut-will-lure-canadians-deeper-into-debt-say-experts-1.3154931

Tax Season
Bank of Canada rate cut will lure Canadians deeper into debt, say experts
Lower lending rates are tempting some to rack up more debt

Some debt experts worry that the Bank of Canada's slashing of interest rates will lure deeply indebted Canadians to slide even deeper into the red.

On Wednesday, the central bank cut its benchmark lending rate to 0.5 per cent. The move is designed to boost a sputtering economy with added spending. But some fear troubled times ahead for those inspired to rack up more debt at a cheaper rate.

"The more debt you have, the greater your chances of going bankrupt, it's simple math," says bankruptcy trustee Doug Hoyes.

Seniors going bankrupt in soaring numbers

Real estate woes: The secret lives of house-poor Canadians
Murad Ali sees the rate cut as a gift because it gives him justification for taking out another loan.

"It's Christmas in summer," he says.

Home equity lines of credit
Murad Ali, his wife, Arsheen Haji, and their daughter, Shanzé, pose in their custom kitchen, paid for with a home equity line of credit. (Sophia Harris/CBC News)

When CBC News first interviewed Ali for a debt story last month, he already owed about $400,000 in lines of credit — money that he used to fund everything from renovations to trips to designer goods. The big spender wanted to get another loan but was hesitant to add to his bills.

But now that chartered banks are lowering their lending rates, Ali tells CBC News he's decided to switch to a cheaper variable mortgage and finally get that longed for additional line of credit. He estimates he'll borrow about $50,000 to buy more furniture for his new Richmond Hill, Ont., home.

"[I'm] very excited. Everything's a risk but it's a much more managed risk," he says, because of lower rates.

Fuelling the fire

'If you make [lending] cheaper, people are ultimately going to be borrowing more.'
- Doug Hoyes, bankruptcy trustee
Rock bottom interest rates are spurring many Canadians to rack up more debt and another rate cut may only help feed the frenzy.

"If you make [lending] cheaper, people are ultimately going to be borrowing more," says Hoyes.

According to Statistics Canada, the ratio of household debt to disposable income was near record levels at 163.3 per cent for the first three months of the year. That means for every dollar of disposable income in a typical year, Canadians carry about $1.63 of debt.

The Bank of Canada lowered its key lending rate to stimulate spending and investing in a sluggish economy. But even central bank governor Stephen Poloz acknowledged that the move could put some Canadians at risk because of mounting debt.

"Of particular note are the vulnerabilities associated with household debt and rising housing prices. And we must acknowledge that today's action could exacerbate these vulnerabilities," he said on Wednesday.

However, Poloz warned the risks could be even greater if the economy went unchecked and spiralled out of control thanks to triggers "such as a widespread and sharp decline in economic activity and employment."

But what if rates go up?

Hoyes believes there will also be dire consequences if Canadians continue their spending binge. He reports that, for the first half of this year, he's already seen a 20 per cent increase in personal bankruptcy cases at his firm, Hoyes, Michalos & Associates, which services clients across Ontario.

Hoyes predicts bankruptcy numbers will skyrocket when interest rates go up and people are saddled with ballooning debt payments. "No one's ever thinking about the future and that's my biggest worry," he says.

Ali admits rising rates could lead to financial troubles for him. But he also sees no scary signs on the horizon. "The last time I heard interest rates were going to rise was around 2009 or something and ever since then, it's been going down and staying down."

"Never say never," warns Patricia White, executive director of Credit Counselling Canada. "I bought my first house when interest rates were 20 per cent," she says, recalling when rates spiked in the early 1980s.

Pay down debt

White also worries about the lure of even cheaper money for indebted Canadians. So she's advising people to pay off their loans now while interest charges are so low.

"If you've got a line of credit and it's up there, why not pay that down and pay less interest on it?"

That's exactly what Rasho Donchev is doing. On top of his mortgage on his Oshawa, Ont., home, the college support worker owes $30,000 on a line of credit.

But rather than get another loan, Donchev has decided to work on becoming debt-free.

"True, money is cheap right now," says the married father of two children. "We've been waiting for years to build a deck in the backyard and there are a couple trips we'd like to take. But as much as there is a temptation, there's got to be some discipline."

It may be a shrewd decision for him. But, at least for the short term, his frugal move won't help boost a faltering economy.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Buying furniture on credit #blessed

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Cultural Imperial posted:

Buying furniture on credit #blessed

You're richer than you think!

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
You need to build up furniture equity.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
That's some expensive furniture

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
I must be a sucker for paying for a wedding with cash. :smug:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
More like big house, more space to furnish. Mind you, this is the same guy that had trouble finding money to initially furnish his place because he wanted to do silly things like pay $40k for a glass railing so he's definitely not inclined towards practicability or cheapness.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

OSI bean dip posted:

You silly goose! Credit is for buying things. Cash is just for drugs and making minimum monthly payments.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

OSI bean dip posted:

My WIFE and I did the same thing.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

OSI bean dip posted:

I know TWO couples right now who can't afford to get divorced because of their debt, the majority of which is derived from expensive weddings. Like, they can't get enough separate credit to afford to split it up.

:psyduck:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

I know TWO couples right now who can't afford to get divorced because of their debt, the majority of which is derived from expensive weddings. Like, they can't get enough separate credit to afford to split it up.

Stay together for the debt relief kids: A Happy Canadian Family Story

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Hahaha, I'm nursing a semi just thinking about this level of financial retardation.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

quote:

He estimates he'll borrow about $50,000 to buy more furniture for his new Richmond Hill, Ont., home.

How in the flying gently caress do you spend $50K on furniture? I could throw away every single non-keepsake item (including throwing away clothing and electronics) in my 3BR apartment and still couldn't spend $50K to refurnish.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Buy a McLaren couch.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Of all the dumb life choices trashy people make, I think the $5000+ wedding is my favourite.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sundae posted:

How in the flying gently caress do you spend $50K on furniture? I could throw away every single non-keepsake item (including throwing away clothing and electronics) in my 3BR apartment and still couldn't spend $50K to refurnish.

Have you never been to an "upper class" furniture store. It's the same particle board poo poo as you'd get at any lower middle class suburban furniture big-box, but everything costs 10x as much because it's designer. I saw some cool shelves, was just a grid of black particle board and some plastic doors with metal trim. Each 2' unit was $6,000 because it was "Italian designed". Absolutely hideous over-stuffed leather sofas straight out of the 90's for $5-8k. Glass coffee table wit a slight curve? Another few thousand. Some of it was actually nice looking but most looked like the sort of ugly dated poo poo you'd be getting rid of clearing our your grandma's town house after she went into a nursing home. Overly "ornate" wood, recliners. Wooden coffee tables with tacky airline style trays that fold up and out so you can have a nice TV dinner. Every single little chair, shelf, or sofa all many thousands of dollars.

A lot of people, specially the sort that just have to have the biggest nicest house they can't afford think the same way with furniture. They have absolutely no taste, no understanding of quality, and just throw all their money away on garbage furniture that they think is good just because it's expensive. There's whole chains of furniture stores that sell to this sort of tasteless consumer. They can't tell the difference between a $1000 sofa and a $3000 sofa, but the more expensive one has to be at least 3x as nice. The sales guy said it's genuine italian leather and it's luxury and premium. You can't put a price on premium luxury. Well I guess you can but the price doesn't matter because we NEED the most expensive furniture to go with our house, it's all building equity anyways.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wow... that's horrifying. I can walk down the street to a handmade, high-quality wooden furniture shop here (a benefit of living in Amish country) and stock out an entire house with stuff that will never, ever break and (probably) not go too much further out of style since it's already antique-looking, and $15K could do every single piece of furniture in the entire place, custom-built. Even that is over the top and ridiculous to me. Instead, there's the St. Vincent's furniture thrift store where the exact same stuff is $100 a pop used if I don't care about it being a perfect fit in every possible way (which I don't).

quote:

There's whole chains of furniture stores that sell to this sort of tasteless consumer.

This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to become an arsonist.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sundae posted:

Wow... that's horrifying. I can walk down the street to a handmade, high-quality wooden furniture shop here (a benefit of living in Amish country) and stock out an entire house with stuff that will never, ever break and (probably) not go too much further out of style since it's already antique-looking, and $15K could do every single piece of furniture in the entire place, custom-built. Even that is over the top and ridiculous to me. Instead, there's the St. Vincent's furniture thrift store where the exact same stuff is $100 a pop used if I don't care about it being a perfect fit in every possible way (which I don't).

This is the first time I've ever felt compelled to become an arsonist.

You should visit the "Design District" in Toronto. it's a few blocks of some of the most outrageously priced poo poo you will ever see. $1000 vacuum formed plastic lawn chairs. But they're for inside.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I felt like such a bougie yuppie piece of poo poo for doing our whole place up in mostly mid-century poo poo. Lot of teak and solid wood, quality items that have lasted for 50 years and will last for another 50 no problem. One chair we fell in love with was $300, a fancy writing desk with the roll-up top for about $600. Our sofa was almost a grand. I'd sit there wracked with guilt, dizzy at our wasteful extravagance. Then I'd walk into a "cheap" furniture store and see that anything new are around those prices, but absolute garbage that looks like poo poo and the laminate will peel off the lovely MDF in a few years. Then I'd go online and look up some of the pieces we bought and see ones in worse condition selling for double the price.

This shop owner knows she could get way more if she mostly sold online. There's another mid-century modern shop in town and they've basically transitioned to only selling online and all their poo poo ends up going for about 2-5x as much, sometimes 10x if there's some obsessive collector that JUST HAS to have that starburst clock. But it means dealing with shipping and packaging and snooty fussy people that jump at the chance to demand refunds. She actually rather just sell at reasonable prices to normal people and not hate life.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Baronjutter posted:

One chair we fell in love with

:getout:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
That whole thing reads like it was from a home improvement show

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

You should visit the "Design District" in Toronto. it's a few blocks of some of the most outrageously priced poo poo you will ever see. $1000 vacuum formed plastic lawn chairs. But they're for inside.

I work in that area and it's really hilarious, the prices on some of these plastic pieces of crap. Like you put it besides something from IKEA and I probably couldn't tell the difference. But maybe I'm just a filthy poor that way.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

I felt like such a bougie yuppie piece of poo poo for doing our whole place up in mostly mid-century poo poo. Lot of teak and solid wood, quality items that have lasted for 50 years and will last for another 50 no problem. One chair we fell in love with was $300, a fancy writing desk with the roll-up top for about $600. Our sofa was almost a grand. I'd sit there wracked with guilt, dizzy at our wasteful extravagance. Then I'd walk into a "cheap" furniture store and see that anything new are around those prices, but absolute garbage that looks like poo poo and the laminate will peel off the lovely MDF in a few years. Then I'd go online and look up some of the pieces we bought and see ones in worse condition selling for double the price.

This shop owner knows she could get way more if she mostly sold online. There's another mid-century modern shop in town and they've basically transitioned to only selling online and all their poo poo ends up going for about 2-5x as much, sometimes 10x if there's some obsessive collector that JUST HAS to have that starburst clock. But it means dealing with shipping and packaging and snooty fussy people that jump at the chance to demand refunds. She actually rather just sell at reasonable prices to normal people and not hate life.

Charmaine's? I get lots of teak stuff there, great people.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The "outdoor living" stores are the loving worst. Yeah, let's spend 3 grand on furniture that's going to sit out on the loving balcony! Why, that sounds like a fantastic idea!

Went to the barbecue store and picked up two of those wood-looking heavy plastic Adirondack chairs that will never ever require any kind of care, or ever break, for $150 or so (and even that was probably a little overpriced, but I didn't care at that point, I just wanted something that was comfortable, required no care, and wouldn't blow around).

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

There are like a dozen designer furniture shops like that in gastown. The first time I saw one I thought "oh cool its like an offbrand ikea." Then I went in and saw they were asking 10-100x for literal knockoffs of discontinued and even currently available ikea products. Because "designer". It's amazing.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

I have furniture made out of milk crates. It serves me.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I buy my furniture from Ikea because
A) it's cheap
B) I don't have to give my money to a Canadian small business owner.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Tighclops posted:

I have furniture made out of milk crates. It serves me.

Milk crates, old desks and pieces of wood across them for a flat surface. :smug::hf::smug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

large hands posted:

Charmaine's? I get lots of teak stuff there, great people.

Easy Livin' on Mason. Charmaine's is mostly antiquey stuff vs modern. They got a little modern ghetto corner but its always really expensive.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
We paid The Brick $800 for a leather couch that reclines. I don't get how anyone would want to spend $50K on furniture unless their 3,000 sq. ft. home burnt down or something.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

THC posted:

Of all the dumb life choices trashy people make, I think the $5000+ wedding is my favourite.
You seem poor.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

OSI bean dip posted:

We paid The Brick $800 for a leather couch that reclines. I don't get how anyone would want to spend $50K on furniture unless their 3,000 sq. ft. home burnt down or something.

I don't understand it either. I'm given to many forms of profligacy, but spending money on furniture of all things is not even on the radar. I bought a whole bunch of faux-antique poo poo that's built like a brick shithouse and doesn't show stains or damage easily, and that's exactly what I like.

If I get married, it's going to be a very small affair with the most amazing booze. 10-20 people max, so I think $5000 would be a reasonable budget.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 17, 2015

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

I don't understand it either. I'm given to many forms of profligacy, but spending money on furniture of all things is not even on the radar. I bought a whole bunch of faux-antique poo poo that's built like a brick shithouse and doesn't show stains or damage easily, and that's exactly what I like.

If I get married, it's going to be a very small affair with the most amazing booze. 10-20 people max, so I think $5000 would be a reasonable budget.
This is what everyone says before planning a wedding but unless both people have distant family and are asocial recluses it rarely pans out.

$5000 is a good party budget but if someone wants a wedding that's a different number.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

cowofwar posted:

This is what everyone says before planning a wedding but unless both people have distant family and are asocial recluses it rarely pans out.

$5000 is a good party budget but if someone wants a wedding that's a different number.

how often do you blow 5k on a loving party?

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Easy Livin' on Mason. Charmaine's is mostly antiquey stuff vs modern. They got a little modern ghetto corner but its always really expensive.

I'll have to check then out, I've bought a few mid century things at Charmaine's and the prices were reasonable but maybe they've gone up as the stuff has become more fashionable in the last few years.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

You don't need custom clothes, matching china and silverware, elaborate decorative arrangements, professional catering, and/or expensive jewelry to celebrate getting hitched. You just don't. You're not Kanye West.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hall Rental = $500-$1000
DJ = $500-1000
Catering = ~$30/guest depending on what you want.

You are looking at four or five grand for a wedding with about a hundred guests, which is a bit on the smaller side. And that is before booze, dresses, tuxedo rentals, any travel, or any of the other million things that come up. Or if you come from a culture where you are expected to invite your entire extended family, when you could have 500 people at the wedding.

Try to only do it once, or failing that, go to Vegas for subsequent marriages.

Sundae posted:

Once you get out of Ikea, furniture gets stupid expensive. Not justifying it as there is no reason for it, but there are entire districts in most cities where you could easily drop 50K on furniture. Your house would however, look like grandmas before you stuffed her in a home and left all her furniture on the corner for the city to deal it. (Perhaps that is where it came from originally.)