Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

He means an 'underwater' arena (actually under-honey) so maneuver around in on the aquatic mount.

I know, but you get the same effect if you periodically pass through floating honey (both the honey buff and the additional movement speed from Cute Fishron) and it's a lot less work (since transferring honey is a pain, although maybe it's easier if you use that one wand? I've never actually tried that).

A giant floating hive arena would still be rad though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Read posted:

I know, but you get the same effect if you periodically pass through floating honey (both the honey buff and the additional movement speed from Cute Fishron) and it's a lot less work (since transferring honey is a pain, although maybe it's easier if you use that one wand? I've never actually tried that).

You can infinitely generate honey pretty easily, albeit slowly.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Man I beat the lunatic cultist and now I'm getting my poo poo pushed in everywhere I go. So I made an expert world for that character and rushed through the mechanical bosses and am fighting my way through the jungle. By fighting, I mean dying over and over again.

I have no idea what to do either, I'm in turtle armor, have Terra blade, eye of chtulu and vampire knives, and your usual accessories. Should I go through a frostmoon or martian event for better gear?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

You can infinitely generate honey pretty easily, albeit slowly.

Oh, do the pyramid of blocks or pump dupes still work? I thought they patched them out but I haven't actually tested it.

e: Or maybe a big pool of honey and a small aperture to drain it through so it never loses enough at once to make the surface level drop?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ledges still dupe fluids and you can use a pair of pumps to automate it.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Weird dungeon right at the edge of the ocean

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there a specific criterion for voodoo demons spawning? I've killed all the basic three bosses and I've explored the length of Hell about five times without seeing one. Last world, I saw them reasonably frequently.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there a specific criterion for voodoo demons spawning? I've killed all the basic three bosses and I've explored the length of Hell about five times without seeing one. Last world, I saw them reasonably frequently.

1.3 made is so you have to kill eater or brain first.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The post you quoted said that I've killed all three of the basic bosses. Speak of the devil though, one spawned.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Leper Residue posted:

Man I beat the lunatic cultist and now I'm getting my poo poo pushed in everywhere I go. So I made an expert world for that character and rushed through the mechanical bosses and am fighting my way through the jungle. By fighting, I mean dying over and over again.

I have no idea what to do either, I'm in turtle armor, have Terra blade, eye of chtulu and vampire knives, and your usual accessories. Should I go through a frostmoon or martian event for better gear?

Since you have killed the mechanical bosses you should be searching the jungle for a large pink glowing flower. If you hit that flower with a pick you will wake up Plantera, a pretty hard boss (I don't know if just sitting there hitting it with vampire knives works on expert, or if it works in turtle armor even on normal). If you win, you will get a key to the lizahrd temple, which will have solar cells in chests, you can use one in an altar at the end of the temple to summon the Golem. The golem drops beetle shell when it dies, and you can use that to make better melee armor than turtle armor.

Once you have beetle armor you pretty much have the stuff I used to kill the four pillars. Try to take out the solar pillar (the orange one) first but remember not to fly while you're doing that or you'll get rekt. Make yourself a solar eruption from the solar fragments and you will have a weapon better than a lot of the stuff from the frost moon or martian event. Next go for the stardust pillar (the blue one) and make a stardust dragon from the fragments, it'll be your best friend. Take on the last two pillars in whichever order you want, the nebula pillar is pretty deadly so you will want as many useful potion buffs as you can manage to beat it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

Ledges still dupe fluids and you can use a pair of pumps to automate it.

I had a devil of a time making my honey vat though, because it flows so slowly the intake pump kept getting uncovered and that seemed to disrupt the multiplication. In the end I needed to swap my 1-second timer for a 3-second timer and build a sort of cone to keep the intake covered until there was enough honey to dismantle said cone.

BTW the solar pillar can suck my dick. Harder than any of the other pillars by far.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Akett posted:

Since you have killed the mechanical bosses you should be searching the jungle for a large pink glowing flower. If you hit that flower with a pick you will wake up Plantera, a pretty hard boss (I don't know if just sitting there hitting it with vampire knives works on expert, or if it works in turtle armor even on normal). If you win, you will get a key to the lizahrd temple, which will have solar cells in chests, you can use one in an altar at the end of the temple to summon the Golem. The golem drops beetle shell when it dies, and you can use that to make better melee armor than turtle armor.

Pretty sure if he just beat Lunatic Cultist he knows about Plantera considering Lunatic Cultist is a post-Golem boss.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Zodack posted:

Pretty sure if he just beat Lunatic Cultist he knows about Plantera considering Lunatic Cultist is a post-Golem boss.

Yeah I beat lunatic cultist on normal and am struggling with the lunar events. So I went on expert and am struggling with hardmode jungle.

I guess I'll try tackling the normal solar dudes first since they're really close to my base, and I guess it's time to stockpile the poo poo out of buff potions.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Don't be too down about the lunar dudes pushing your poo poo in, they're tough as gently caress. The fragments you get from loving up each pillar allows you to craft some crazy powerful gear. You said earlier you have turtle armor so you should go beat up the Golem a few times to get some beetle husks to upgrade into beetle armor.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Nebula Pillar was harder than Moon Lord now I have my Cute Fishron mount... I made a honey highway in the sky and was able to outrun literally every attack but his laser which still left plenty of time for regen between the honey buff and potions.

Didn't get a Terrarian, time to do that all again.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Ugh, I tried to have a little secret exit to my bedroom by way of actuators because I didn't want to use a door there but apparently that resets the spawn to the original point.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Gobblecoque posted:

Ugh, I tried to have a little secret exit to my bedroom by way of actuators because I didn't want to use a door there but apparently that resets the spawn to the original point.

Yeah, the problem with all the actuator shenanigans is that the game considers the break in the room to make it stop being a room. So it's not valid for a spawn point anymore.

Perhaps try and make it an airlock type "door"?

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!
Okay, it seems that the queen bee hates me. I tried to get the bee mount that she drops to no avail. I even tried beating her multiple times on expert world where the drop chance is 10% instead of 5%. 15 bee kills later, no mount.

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong? LIke I have to murder her multiple times after I beat wall of flesh for her to drop honeyed goggles or something?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Mortvert posted:

Okay, it seems that the queen bee hates me. I tried to get the bee mount that she drops to no avail. I even tried beating her multiple times on expert world where the drop chance is 10% instead of 5%. 15 bee kills later, no mount.

Any idea if I'm doing something wrong? LIke I have to murder her multiple times after I beat wall of flesh for her to drop honeyed goggles or something?

The only thing you're doing wrong is how you pray to the random number god.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

Supremezero posted:

Yeah, the problem with all the actuator shenanigans is that the game considers the break in the room to make it stop being a room. So it's not valid for a spawn point anymore.

Perhaps try and make it an airlock type "door"?

Eariel in the thread someone made screenshots of actuator-type door with a pressure plate that only triggers on a player. Maybe you could use that to make rooms for NPCs? Platforms for floors or something so it counts as valid housing.

E: Oh dear, I apparently read the post but didn't understand it. This is what I get after posting freshly after work.

Can you make two rooms share a single door? You could probably make a actuator entrance and make two rooms with a door inbetween them so they maybe could count as valid housing?

Mortvert fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 17, 2015

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Read posted:

can't you just periodically dump water on yourself with the infinite water bucket?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Excelzior posted:

can't you just periodically dump water on yourself with the infinite water bucket?

Er, you could, but that sounds more time consuming than just flying through honey bubbles. Plus you're leaking water everywhere.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mortvert posted:

Eariel in the thread someone made screenshots of actuator-type door with a pressure plate that only triggers on a player. Maybe you could use that to make rooms for NPCs? Platforms for floors or something so it counts as valid housing.

E: Oh dear, I apparently read the post but didn't understand it. This is what I get after posting freshly after work.

Can you make two rooms share a single door? You could probably make a actuator entrance and make two rooms with a door inbetween them so they maybe could count as valid housing?
I think the issue is that when the actuator "door" is open, it's actually a hole, so it stops being a room. And thus the bed in it isn't a valid spawn point anymore. And apparnelty it doesn't change back when you close the door?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Michaellaneous posted:

imho the beginning of hardmore is a bit frustrating. Cobalt is plent, yeah, but the second tier ore is so hard to find and fighting the bosses is impossible for me.

Find a nice lake, quaff a fishing, a crate potion and load up some youtube vids on a second monitor. Crates are infinitely more lucrative for getting ores/bars as well as being infinitely more easier.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Zereth posted:

I think the issue is that when the actuator "door" is open, it's actually a hole, so it stops being a room. And thus the bed in it isn't a valid spawn point anymore. And apparnelty it doesn't change back when you close the door?

I would imagine that it changes back to being a valid spawn point but your spawn point has already been reset at that point.

I don't want to infringe on that guy's aesthetic but he could always just put the secret door in a closet instead of the bedroom.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

You could hook the pressure plate to a door that's immediately after the stone blocks so that it opens with them and the room stays a room.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Or have a door before the blocks that you just leave open.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Spelunker potions are the best way, but if you're cheap another great method of finding huge amounts of your 3rd tier hardmode ore is to go through the ceiling of the underworld (basically the very lowest part of the caverns), it's incredibly common there, and in big chunks.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

It's a bit of a kludge, but platforms count as walls and doors for housing, even when stacked vertically. If you use three actuated blocks next to three platforms with buttons on either side, you can have your spawn point stick around.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Re: actuator chat
Having an exit directly from the bedroom wasn't a big deal as I have a regular door entrance a few stories underneath, it would just have been a convenience to save a few seconds. There's not a whole lot of space to use to work around the issue without some remodeling or making stuff look cluttered so I'm just gonna dump the actuator idea.
Here's the building in question, just for reference:

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

RatHat posted:

They should add a 0.01% chance to spawn Duke Fishron on any catch. And of course he'll instantly enrage if you're not in an ocean biome.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Awesome, I do have a Clentaminator. I may need to adjust the Steampunker's biome to get the right solution, but it'll be worth it. Thanks for the tip.

Gobblecoque posted:

The wiki says the car key has the same drop rate as all the other stuff from the saucer but I don't believe it. If you could get banners from bosses I'm pretty sure I would have at one by now. I'll do one more invasion then I'm gonna say gently caress it and just inventory edit it in.

In my one invasion the boss saucer kept spawning. I ended up getting two car keys, the machine gun, and the UFO minion staff from the one invasion. Good thing, too. The car key is pretty drat indispensible against three out of four pillars, plus the Moon Lord.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Skycastle is coming along nicely

Eventually I may have to do something about the entrance to my hellevator, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to

Also, the balloon cramps my overlord style but at least I got a red cape :v:

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tin Tim posted:

Eventually I may have to do something about the entrance to my hellevator, but I'll cross that bridge when I need to

FYI you can hide any accessories you want by clicking the little eye icon beside them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tin Tim posted:

Click the eye in the corner of the accessory slot :ssh:

e: well that's what happens when you open a bunch of tabs and read them slowly one by one.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Read posted:

FYI you can hide any accessories you want by clicking the little eye icon beside them.
:stare:

I...I didn't know...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly its kind of amazing how much quality of life stuff has been added to this game.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Zodack posted:

:doh: It was 5 AM when I wrote that, I should have been sleeping. Either way, beetle armor is better than turtle armor, which should be the real takeaway from that paragraph.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tin Tim posted:

You realize you can hit (foreground) blocks with a hammer to change them into slopes, right?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

President Ark posted:

You realize you can hit (foreground) blocks with a hammer to change them into slopes, right?

Given that he has lavafalls, he probably does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

as it turns out, even in expert mode, ice golems are still incredibly easy to cheese under the natural tundra cliff formation thingies. managed to get a handful of good stuff, and had just enough adamantite from fishing to make the frost armor, which is a hell of an upgrade considering I had molten before then