Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

On the other hand, I didn't like the last few hours I played of LO. It's turning into FF9. There's puzzle dungeons and the battles are starting to last a long time. Now that I have five characters, the enemy groups have to be larger too, and everyone has to take a separate turn. It would be so much better if everyone attacked at the same time like Suikoden or Grandia.

Suikoden handled battles better than pretty much any RPG in history. They are just so punchy. Watching your entire party leap forward/fire weapons/cast magic at once was just so liberating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The fact that every round lasts about 3 seconds almost makes Suikoden's high encounter rate bearable. Almost.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Baby Babbeh posted:

The fact that every round lasts about 3 seconds almost makes Suikoden's high encounter rate bearable. Almost.

It's been ages since I've played but it's a testament to how fast the battles are that I don't even recall the encounter rate let alone it being high or unbearable.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I don't think Suikoden's encounter rate is really noticeably higher than most other RPGs, with the possible exception of Suikoden IV on the ocean, or specific moments in the first two games when you're invading the enemy castles.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Delsaber posted:

I don't think Suikoden's encounter rate is really noticeably higher than most other RPGs, with the possible exception of Suikoden IV on the ocean, or specific moments in the first two games when you're invading the enemy castles.

Suikoden 5 has the highest encounter rate and the longest to-battle loading animation in the series. It's one of the many small reasons that add up to me disliking the game on the whole. 1 and 2 were perfect, though. There was virtually no loading time and the transitions were lightning-quick. It didn't hurt that they had an auto-battle option for the fights where you would just mash attack anyway.

The only time I ever felt the encounter rate was when you had to go back through a dungeon to recruit someone. They really needed to give you access to the Champion's Rune much earlier.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I played atelier iris 2 once and the battles in that went by so fast the game locked up when I beat one of the random encounters

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FirstAidKite posted:

I played atelier iris 2 once and the battles in that went by so fast the game locked up when I beat one of the random encounters

dumb bugs are an atelier tradition

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Skipping these stories is unimaginable to me. It's clearly the best part of the game. Can you even like Kaim if you skip them?
My point is more that I can't see the Kaim of the stories and the Kaim of the main game as the same character, so all the backstory falls flat because he never really gets enough of an opportunity to express some of the attitudes he has allegedly come to develop over his long life. And yes there's the whole amnesia angle or whatever but that angle is stupid and just makes him seem like an entirely different person.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Skipping these stories is unimaginable to me. It's clearly the best part of the game. Can you even like Kaim if you skip them?

I dunno about anyone else, but this says more about how loving awful LO is than how good the 1000 Years of Dreams or whatever may be. If the best part of the game is a giant wall of text, you might as well just google transcripts of them rather than put up with a bad game for absolutely no gain or enjoyment. :shrug:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
LO isn't even remotely bad or loving awful you goon.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, uh, considering the one time I did try and play it I never found anything good in the game itself I have to disagree. Plus, I'm not exactly going to turn to an in-game thoroughly optional wall of text just for that.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

Dragonatrix posted:

Well, uh, considering the one time I did try and play it I never found anything good in the game itself I have to disagree. Plus, I'm not exactly going to turn to an in-game thoroughly optional wall of text just for that.

Just as an FYI, a game can still be good even if you do not personally like it. HTH.

Dr. Eldarion fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 1, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It is sort of weird how people can't divorce "I like/dislike something" from "something has positive elements that appeal to me/negative elements that may be more critical to other than they are to me."

To use something earlier in the thread, I really don't find Suikoden V's loading times to be particularly but, but I played a lot of RPGs and while they're longer than most they're still shorter than a lot of games, although apparently the age of your PS2 can influence that. Still is perfectly valid if it's a problem for someone.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

ImpAtom posted:

It is sort of weird how people can't divorce "I like/dislike something" from "something has positive elements that appeal to me/negative elements that may be more critical to other than they are to me."

To use something earlier in the thread, I really don't find Suikoden V's loading times to be particularly but, but I played a lot of RPGs and while they're longer than most they're still shorter than a lot of games, although apparently the age of your PS2 can influence that. Still is perfectly valid if it's a problem for someone.

I can't quite figure out how this relates to the conversation; everyone one here is pretty unambiguously saying "Lost Odyssey is loving awful/not loving awful." with not a lot of room for interpretation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

I can't quite figure out how this relates to the conversation; everyone one here is pretty unambiguously saying "Lost Odyssey is loving awful/not loving awful." with not a lot of room for interpretation.

Okay:

Lost Odyssey is a game with a lot of good elements. The combat system is a variation on that introduced in Shadow Hearts and the way it is designed allows for more distinctive boss fights with unique gimmicks that encourages you to use the tools in your arsenal because the way the skill system is designed means they can dole them out in such a way that players can usually find the tool they need to beat a boss in the area you're in. There is an interesting amount of worldbuilding and the concept of a group of protagonists who are literally immortal is put to good use. It is one of the few last-gen JRPGs that feels like a real JRPG and indeed probably one of the last hurrahs of the PS2-style JRPG. The Thousand Years of Dreams tend to be fairly interesting when taken on their own and may people like the game for its own merits.

Lost Odyssey is a game with a lot of bad elements. It is an early 360 JRPG and so the graphics are stiff and awkward and frequently become quite bad. The cutscene direction can be fairly awkward and the voice acting and general script writing can work against it. If you're not interested in Kaim's immortal history then Kaim himself is a fairly dull protagonist and a lot of the cast can be aggravating if you don't like them. The Thousand Years of Dreams outshine the main plot which doesn't do as much interesting with the idea of immortal protagonists as it does. There are annoying child characters.

Calling it 'loving awful" is a bit of an exaggeration. Calling it utterly flawless is one too. It has strong and weak elements. Some may not be positives for you personally (the Shadow Hearts-style combat system) and others may not inherently be negative (not everyone hates child characters) but there can exist an option that basically boils down to "I didn't like this game but I can see why people did" (or vice-versa "I loved this game but I see why people disliked it.")

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also if graphics were really an important issue with JRPGs this genre probably wouldnt exist at all

I got Legaia 2 on my backlog too, which i'm pretty sure looks like if a playstation 2 game was made for the super nintendo

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

Also if graphics were really an important issue with JRPGs this genre probably wouldnt exist at all

JRPGs were actually pretty far ahead of the game for a long time when it came to graphics actually. It was one of the big appeals of the genre. A lot of them have aged like poo poo (and some looked awful even when they came out) but there was a solid push to have high-quality visuals for JRPGs for a good while. It's part of why they began to choke because doing those visuals on large-scope games became increasingly cost prohibitive.

We've kinda gone the opposite direction now and almost all JRPGs are low-budget bare-bones sort of games. Those sorts of games always existed but they're about all these is now.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 18, 2015

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Yeah it's one of those games where like 50% of the game gets on my nerves while the other 50% hits the right points. I like the music, the scenery, the English voice acting (mostly), about half the combat system, and the side story content. Did not like the main plot, half the combat system, the antagonist character(s), and most of the character designs.

I tended to play like 3/4th of the game before stalling and struggling to finish the game because of JRPG ENDING SYNDROME.

I had pretty much the same experience with Last Remnant, even the PC version.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Also if we're talking flawed RPGs I got Infinite Undiscovery in my backlog too, wooyea

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Also if we're talking flawed RPGs I got Infinite Undiscovery in my backlog too, wooyea

I'm so sorry.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

ImpAtom posted:

I can agree with this. I personally think Suikoden V is a fantastic game, but those technical problems are hard to ignore even as a huge fan of the series. It's pretty similar to how I see Fallout New Vegas: one of the best games in that series, if not the best in a lot of ways, marred somewhat by engine problems, age, and limitations, but not quite to the severity where I feel the need to knock it down.

Lost Odyssey is another great game with some weird issues, not always technical in its case (battle loading times notwithstanding), but more to do with its weird-rear end cast of characters, at least to me. I loved the 1000 Years of Dreams not because it was better than the main story or characterization but simply because it was good on its own terms.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Dinner.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I cannot wait to Get to That Scene

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

when i say something is garbage, i mean i was vastly bothered by the flaws and didn't consider the good aspects that important. i don't particularly feel the need to spell that out everytime, nor am i going to make a disclaimer whenever I say a game is poo poo that that's an opinion, not gospel fact.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Cake Attack posted:

when i say something is garbage, i mean i was vastly bothered by the flaws and didn't consider the good aspects that important. i don't particularly feel the need to spell that out everytime, nor am i going to make a disclaimer whenever I say a game is poo poo that that's an opinion, not gospel fact.

Yeah but you don't quote people and say "gently caress you the game is garbage" infinitely like some people

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
I can't remember anything about Infinite Undiscovery other than I liked it :kiddo:

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Dragonatrix posted:

You should play Get Lost Odyssey

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The only thing I dislike about Lost Odyssey is the loading times. Even installing it didn't help much.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I beat Dragon Age: Inquisiton with 8 minute load times (cause of lack of SD), Lost Odyssey can't be that bad.....

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

At thirteen hours into FF9, I no longer qualify for the Excalibur II.

I was expecting Ramuh's fetch quest to come much later. But when he sent me off I found three parts right away. The fourth one I found back at the crash site. But I could not find the loving fifth one. No GameFAQs have a map, just directions on where to go. I eventually figured out where he was, because if you're not hugging the wall you'll just advance to the second screen. And even when you do get him to show up, he's half hidden by a cliff. gently caress you, game.

And by all means laugh at me, but I only just found my first Synthesist in war-torn Lindblum. And then I blew all of my 10,000-ish Gil on him.

Do shops ever sell Mid Potions or can I only get them from chests and Stealing?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
You can buy hi-potions later, not for a while yet I think though. You didn't miss too much in the way of synthesis--I think everything you can craft now includes whatever was on the Lindblum synthesist's list earlier in the game--though you should check back at the shops after major story events since their offerings change.

However, if your opinion of 9 is this negative, I think you should take the advice of one of the NPCs in Lindblum: she asks you if you're having fun playing the game, and if you say no, she tells you to just go play a different game already.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Lost Odyssey is o k.

FF9 is also o k.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

The White Dragon posted:

However, if your opinion of 9 is this negative, I think you should take the advice of one of the NPCs in Lindblum: she asks you if you're having fun playing the game, and if you say no, she tells you to just go play a different game already.

Eh, I'm not sure I'd call my opinion of FF9 "negative" yet, I just get worn down by the sluggish, way-too-frequent battles. Although Ramuh's story being a reference to Final Fantasy 2 was kind of cute.

Besides, this is nothing compared to some other RPGs I've trudged through.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nakar posted:

My point is more that I can't see the Kaim of the stories and the Kaim of the main game as the same character, so all the backstory falls flat because he never really gets enough of an opportunity to express some of the attitudes he has allegedly come to develop over his long life. And yes there's the whole amnesia angle or whatever but that angle is stupid and just makes him seem like an entirely different person.

Well the first dream sequence presents him as a depressed alcoholic who wants to forget his memories. That goes along with him in the game saying that he doesn't think he wants those memories back. In that first dream, talking to Hanna was the only thing that made him happy and then that was gone. I could understand how 1000 years of that could change a person. Most recently, he lost his daughter. When he sees Lirium again, he totally starts to act more like the Kaim in the dreams. Especially when he tells the kids it's not necessarily a good thing to live forever. That's exactly what he thinks in the dreams.

Dragonatrix posted:

I dunno about anyone else, but this says more about how loving awful LO is than how good the 1000 Years of Dreams or whatever may be. If the best part of the game is a giant wall of text, you might as well just google transcripts of them rather than put up with a bad game for absolutely no gain or enjoyment. :shrug:

If everything outside of the dreams was a bad, you would have a point and you might as well just read a transcript. That's not the case. It's a very good game (As of the middle of disc 2), the giant walls of text just happen to be the best part.

Codiekitty posted:

Eh, I'm not sure I'd call my opinion of FF9 "negative" yet, I just get worn down by the sluggish, way-too-frequent battles. Although Ramuh's story being a reference to Final Fantasy 2 was kind of cute.

Besides, this is nothing compared to some other RPGs I've trudged through.

Make sure your battle speed in the config is set to high. It helps a little. Use Zidane's flee ability often. I usually run from every other battle as a way of protesting the game's high encounter rate. "No, I'm not going to fight a battle here you dumb game. I just fought a battle 4 loving steps ago."

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 18, 2015

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Heavy neutrino posted:

I can't remember anything about Infinite Undiscovery other than I liked it :kiddo:

Is that the weird rock-paper-scissors space one?

Edit: No, sorry. They're right, I'm thinking of Infinite Space.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Jul 18, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CottonWolf posted:

That's Infinite Space, and it's on the DS.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

No, that's Infinite Space.

e:f;b

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Heavy neutrino posted:

I also enjoyed it, but mostly in the way that I enjoyed Plan 9 from Outer Space. It helps that from a mechanical standpoint it's relatively tight to compensate for the... everything else.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i bought atelier rorona but later found out there's an improved version of the game. how important are those improvements cause its like a 40 euro price difference between the two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the first rorona is a bad game