Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

There is very little value in Fantastic Four unless you can get someone who has a really strong creative drive and is allowed to go nuts with it. In every other case you get something exceedingly dull and mundane by superhero standards, which is what all the movies turned out to be, and most of the comic runs quite frankly. Hickman did such a good job with his run that no one could follow his act and now they don't even make FF comics anymore. Fox keeps trying to retain the license but really this is never going to be a huge moneymaker the way they're handling it, they might as well let it go back to Marvel like Punisher and Daredevil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

I never read the Fantastic Four comic books, so excuse me if this sounds naiive but is it just me or is that whole series just plain old bad? I watched the first one and it sucked and this one looks ten times worse. I'm kind of thinking the only good thing to come out of FF is a couple episodes of Venture Bros.

The FF comics were a middle of the road Kirby-Lee joint, not the best they did and not the worst. It was billed as "The World's Most Popular Comic Magazine" despite playing runner-up to a lot of other books, but there were quite a few memorable moments in the first 100 issues art/story-wise and, however over the top or goofy, the book served as a bridge between Marvel earth storylines and Marvel cosmic storylines, many of which are totally awesome (Doom, Adam Warlock, Galactus, Mole Man, The Watcher, Silver Surfer!). Also, they had a lot of cool crossovers with Dare Devil, which was another well-written out of the way title.

Not that FF is the greatest or anything, but the first 2 movies definitely didn't do it any justice. I'm real tired of comic book movies, but hopefully I can at least look forward to The Thing vs The Hulk.

From going through my dad's comic collection when I was little these are the issues I remember most, and some of the art is just awesome:

http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-60-the-peril-and-the-power/4000-9226/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-43-lo-there-shall-be-an-ending/4000-8103/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-48-the-coming-of-galactus/4000-8428/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-68-his-mission-destroy-the-fantasti/4000-9754/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-51-this-manthis-monster/4000-8613/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-79-this-monster-forever/4000-136906/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-39-a-blind-man-shall-lead-them/4000-7837/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-29-it-started-on-yancy-street/4000-7256/
http://www.comicvine.com/fantastic-four-8-prisoners-of-the-puppet-master/4000-6158/

Also, gotta love "The Hate Monger"

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ignoring the historical importance of the Fantastic Four, the thing that makes them worthwhile is their unashamed willingness to go for the big crazy concepts that sometimes don't work. The problem is that those big crazy concepts involve a visual fidelity that is simply expensive as all hell, I doubt even Marvel Studios would give the FF the money it'd need to make silly-but-fun poo poo like Atlantis, The Negative Zone, Latveria, the Microverse, Galactus, and all the other weird places the FF love to go to look worthwhile.

second-hand smegma posted:

hopefully I can at least look forward to The Thing vs The Hulk.

Ain't happening as long as this flick makes money. Fox has made it very clear through action they want their Fantastic Four franchises to be as cheap as possible so they make a modest profit while keeping money out of Marvel's hands, and for all its detriments the movie coming out soon will probably do that.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

computer parts posted:

This post is funny in light of all of that previous bitching about trailers revealing too much.

But that's not what I'm talking about. The point of a teaser trailer is to give you the general idea of the world. The point of a theatrical trailer is to give you an understanding of what you're actually getting into. I don't want the entire plot spelled out, I'm just confused why 3 theatrical trailers in I still have no idea who Doom is, how he got involved, what he's up to, why the 4 are against it, what they're doing to stop it, or what's impeding them from stopping it.

Unless the movie is 100% origin story, I have no idea why I'm supposed to care about any of this.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

feedmyleg posted:

But that's not what I'm talking about. The point of a teaser trailer is to give you the general idea of the world. The point of a theatrical trailer is to give you an understanding of what you're actually getting into. I don't want the entire plot spelled out, I'm just confused why 3 theatrical trailers in I still have no idea who Doom is, how he got involved, what he's up to, why the 4 are against it, what they're doing to stop it, or what's impeding them from stopping it.

Doom looks (at least judging by the trailers) to be a military guy who replicates the experiment and goes evil because he's the bad guy. In other words, just like the bad guy from the Hulk film.

I know there were some rumors about him being a hacker or whatever but at least based on this trailer it gives you an indication of some sort of plot.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Knowing who plays him (Toby Kebbell) he's appeared pre-Doom in other trailers and it looks like he's a colleague at wherever it is Reed and co are doing their research.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnhEjP3R-c

I like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler but this looks so bad.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

gmq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRnhEjP3R-c

I like Tina Fey and Amy Poehler but this looks so bad.

This looks like a female version of Stepbrothers. I suppose only time will tell if they get the weird-rear end sense of humor that movie had.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man
The new Iñárritu film with DiCaprio and Tom Hardy. I was in even before the trailer. Now I am even inner. drat.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uniySb_Stiw

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kush posted:

The new Iñárritu film with DiCaprio and Tom Hardy. I was in even before the trailer. Now I am even inner. drat.

I was really hoping someone was talking about this movie here. That trailer was fantastic. Really excited for this film, and really excited for another movie DiCaprio will not win an Oscar for.

This film was supposedly shot entirely in natural light, and that is why it has its gritty look.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Wow that's a great trailer, beautiful images. Extremely My poo poo.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Kush posted:

This is a great trailer. It's intense as hell and gets me very interested in the movie, and yet I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to be about.

Bravo.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Man, those wide angle slow pans looks loving fantastic. I love his style.

It's also about time we got a legit movie about trappers and the frontier.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Kush posted:

Looks amazing. Haven't been excited for an Inarritu film in a while, but I guess the Birdman win gave him some confidence.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

I said come in! posted:

I was really hoping someone was talking about this movie here. That trailer was fantastic. Really excited for this film, and really excited for another movie DiCaprio will not win an Oscar for.

This film was supposedly shot entirely in natural light, and that is why it has its gritty look.

Yeah it really has a unique look. I love the opening shot where you can't really separate the snowy ground from the sky and it looks like this massive whiteness with a mountain hovering in the air. Beautiful.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Kush posted:

Yeah it really has a unique look. I love the opening shot where you can't really separate the snowy ground from the sky and it looks like this massive whiteness with a mountain hovering in the air. Beautiful.

Having lived in a mountain town 7500 feet up, this is what it really looks like, so it was great seeing that. Very realistic look to the wilderness that movies never try to capture.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Kush posted:

I'm getting serious Blood Meridian vibes from this. Looks great.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Cormac McCarthy meets Terrence Malick.

I like the natural light and confident camera sweeps here; I wonder who Inarritu's DP is for this.

I said come in! posted:

Really excited for this film, and really excited for another movie DiCaprio will not win an Oscar for.

The last of the great over-actors.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I browsed the imdb page for this and Javier Botet is in it, the guy who plays tall skinny weird hosed up things in horror movies like [Rec] and Mama.

I like the natural light and confident camera sweeps here; I wonder who Inarritu's DP is for this.

imdb says that he's working with Lubezki again.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

This is a great trailer. It's intense as hell and gets me very interested in the movie, and yet I have absolutely no idea what it's supposed to be about.

Bravo.

The true story is crazy enough that they might just adapt it without taking many liberties at all.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Hollismason posted:

Why do they keep loving up Doom?

They are straight up adapting the Ultimate FF not the regular FF which is all about family, exploring poo poo and science for the version where Reed and Sue never really get together, Reed is a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone and gives not fucks and Doom sucks.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

computer parts posted:

The true story is crazy enough that they might just adapt it without taking many liberties at all.

Holy poo poo that sounds insane.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Y

Looks amazing. Haven't been excited for an Inarritu film in a while, but I guess the Birdman win gave him some confidence.
You know, Babel might have been a misstep but I thought Biutiful was pretty good. I think people just kinda labeled it as "oh he's back to his shtik again but I found it pretty touching.
So pumped for this especially since I'm pretty familiar with the true story that it's loosely based on and it should be awesome

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Kush posted:

I really hope this is good because Iñárritu and Lubezki were insane, abusive tyrants to the crew and they reportedly went 3 months and 50-ish million over budget waiting for the perfect natural light and snow. It would be a shame if all that hard work and pain didn't translate into an amazing film.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Lubezki is the two-time defending Best Cinematography winner (Gravity, Birdman), and based on that trailer he may get the threepeat.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

MeinPanzer posted:

Yes! I thought Blood Meridian was suppose to be made into a movie, but it doesnt seem like that will happen at this point. This film will have to do and it will do nicely.

Also, this movie is apparently using new camera technology?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

The low, wide angle shots definitely reminds me of Malick, not to mention that sort of soft breath narration he's been doing since...Thin Red Line? Beautiful trailer, but man I get the feeling that is going to be one brutal movie to sit through.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It really makes me uncomfortable living in a world where Brett Ratner continues to inexplicably produce good movies. I guess it's a numbers game, produce enough and some of them will be good. Sixteen productions in the last year.

He might be the new Joel Silver.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Kush posted:

I read an article about this trailer that said, in the first sentence, "This movie could make or break DiCaprio's Career"

I didn't get any farther than that.

Movie looks great though

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

bows1 posted:

I read an article about this trailer that said, in the first sentence, "This movie could make or break DiCaprio's Career"

I didn't get any farther than that.

Movie looks great though

Hahaha what? I would think Leo's pretty well established now.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Hahaha what? I would think Leo's pretty well established now.

He's been established since Critters 3.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I said come in! posted:

Also, this movie is apparently using new camera technology?

New Alexa 65, with Hasselblad lenses. 65mm sensor, but small enough to be handheld, paired with some incredible glass. And the best living cinematographer.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Dillbag posted:

I really hope this is good because Iñárritu and Lubezki were insane, abusive tyrants to the crew and they reportedly went 3 months and 50-ish million over budget waiting for the perfect natural light and snow. It would be a shame if all that hard work and pain didn't translate into an amazing film.

Any links to this? Trying google fu and can't find anything. It does look gorgeous but very clean, I wouldn't mind some grit considering the subject matter.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Lubezki's natural light shoots are well known to be really rough on the crew, because they're natural light shoots and he's a perfectionist. Means long, irregular, and exhausting hours. Tree of Life was pretty famously difficult on its camera crew, and that wasn't even in the wilderness.

Ridley Scott on his commentary for the Duelists, talks about how he misses shooting like that. He was able to do it on that film because he was co-dp, camera operator, art designer, and director, and could just get up and exhaust himself and two willing lead men. But once he moved on to larger films it was impossible, because asking large union crews to work like that would rapidly paint you as the devil.

He kind of got that reputation anyway with Blade Runner's grilling night shoots, funny enough.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

New Alexa 65, with Hasselblad lenses. 65mm sensor, but small enough to be handheld, paired with some incredible glass. And the best living cinematographer.

Jesus Christ, you're not kidding when you say small:

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I would love an Arri camera but they are so expensive and you generally can't buy them. The Ursa Mini will be the next hopefully great thing in affordable film making. Can the human eye really tell the difference between 4 and 6k? Now that there is 8k coming out in certain cameras, at which point do they stop; or does it go on forever? Also, no one really can afford an Arri camera to out right buy, they are really really expensive

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Kush posted:

Jesus Christ. I didn't care for Birdman, but the cinematography in this is stunning :stare: I have to see this.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Death By The Blues posted:

Any links to this? Trying google fu and can't find anything. It does look gorgeous but very clean, I wouldn't mind some grit considering the subject matter.

I don't think there's been any press, but everything I've heard was directly from a number of friends and ex-coworkers who worked on the movie in Alberta. I can't 100% verify the budget overrun, but from the stories I was told I am confident they were huge cocks.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jesus Christ. I didn't care for Birdman, but the cinematography in this is stunning :stare: I have to see this.

Imo Birdman was great but what I really like about this trailer is how the sun blinds you. It never does that in movies, usually,.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

Dillbag posted:

I don't think there's been any press, but everything I've heard was directly from a number of friends and ex-coworkers who worked on the movie in Alberta. I can't 100% verify the budget overrun, but from the stories I was told I am confident they were huge cocks.

See this is a thing where as a film maker in previous generations it was easier to get away of this, because of the lack of social media. Is it hard to be a true film maker cause of word spreading, so you become more aware and less of a perfectionist. If Kubrick was a film maker now and people kept bitching online about how many takes he took, Kubrick became aware and self conscious. This is very tricky.

• Locked thread