Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Stultus Maximus posted:

It kind of craps out as the fifth season wears on. Not that there aren't even some good 6th season episodes but the "mythology" just gets retarded.

yeah, the backstory poo poo got pretty ridiculous as they tried like hell to longjump out of the corner they painted themselves into. the way the series was set up was pretty foolproof though, since if they needed more time to figure out how to connect the Smoking Man to yet another goddamn historical event or preventing the Buffalo Bills from winning the Super Bowl. (ed- s04e07 "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man holy poo poo this episode fuckin owns)they could just throw together some passable script written by an intern and have mulder and scully go through the fuckin paces with maybe some help given by Deus Ex Machina in human form AD Skinner.

Plus Chris Carter was busy writing his next show, Millennium, during like season 3 or 4 i think and once the good guest writers finished with their A material and David Duchovney was balls deep in every woman not named Tea Leoni when they realized they should probably do more background stuff to justify a summer movie and give Chris Carter a good jumping point back into the show when it became apparent that people didnt want to watch a show where a dude saves his wife from a goddamn serial killer only to have his wife leave him immediately after because he killed the serial killer when saving her (seriously Millennium was insanely lovely at times). Chris Carter comes back, farts around for a bit before running off to make the Lone Gunman series, that lasted like 3 episodes before Fox dragged it out back and shot the gently caress out of it.

So then Chris Carter comes back again, Duchovney leaves to do Red Shoe Diaries I think, and the lovely Ivan Reitman movie with Stifler and pops up every now and again while the T-1000 holds Gillian Anderson back from running to England to act there, and no one gives a poo poo except for the Smoking Man, since it gave him a platform to yell at Richard Dawkins about (seriously. also he has an acting school that he runs)

even with all that bullshit the xfiles was still a cool show

also if this isnt the drunk thread i dont give a gently caress im high as gently caress and now im gonna watch some fuckin xfiles

Godholio posted:

Plus, you know. Gillian Anderson. :allears:

shes got the julia louis-dreyfus syndrome where she's continually getting hotter as time goes on and its p. scary

gillian was fuckin hot as hell when she was on top gear

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Dh2lkzkPnY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hey guys I have a confession I think I've only seen maybe five episodes of the X-Files ever. I'm sorry.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Hey guys I have a confession I think I've only seen maybe five episodes of the X-Files ever. I'm sorry.

you could still watch em

they're fun

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Did they age well? I was always interested by the show but for whatever reason it just never got my full attention.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Did they age well? I was always interested by the show but for whatever reason it just never got my full attention.

yeah, outside of the computers and huge phones and a seth green cameo

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

I'm watching two Komodo Dragons fighting on TV.

Brutal

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Millennium had some pretty good episodes among the "yet another serial killer who is boring as poo poo" ones. Also the one where they decided nobody was watching and weren't going to get renewed anyway so they shot a psychedelic freakout backed by Patti Smith's "Horses". All ten minutes of the song which is pretty avante garde as it is.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Millennium had some pretty good episodes among the "yet another serial killer who is boring as poo poo" ones. Also the one where they decided nobody was watching and weren't going to get renewed anyway so they shot a psychedelic freakout backed by Patti Smith's "Horses". All ten minutes of the song which is pretty avante garde as it is.

oh yeah the "gently caress everything" episodes are rad as gently caress

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Whip Slagcheek posted:

same

i would be way more interested if gillian got em out

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Whip Slagcheek posted:

There's a movie. So that too.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Untagged posted:

2 movies

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

I'd completely forgotten about that 2nd movie. I saw it at some point but I have no clue what happened.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I'd completely forgotten about that 2nd movie. I saw it at some point but I have no clue what happened.

russians made a 2 headed dog

more ears to skritch

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

the Lone Gunman series, that lasted like 3 episodes before Fox dragged it out back and shot the gently caress out of it.
Not without justification.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM1Gren46LU

I had forgotten what a televised abortion that show was. Whip, I wouldn't say they aged super well, but compared to everything else from the 90s that isn't Heat, Silence of the Lambs or another movie you already know the name of, the X-Files are head and shoulders above.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Wisdom.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Holy poo poo, I entirely regret giving up on this show after the lovely pilot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

oh yeah the "gently caress everything" episodes are rad as gently caress

The Jose Chung sequel and demon coffee shop episodes were gold too. On par with Postmodern Prometheus for "gently caress everything, we just gonna have fun"

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

seriously it was super lovely at times, but when they realized they had nothing to live for the writers went balls to the wall and put out some really cool episodes.

the demon coffee shop episodes were loving rad as hell and I wish it was way more of that and less of the boring rear end serial killers

also the 2nd move was pretty lovely if you think of it as anything more than "hey a longer than usual x-file episode done for shits and giggles"

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Untagged posted:

I watched both movies. :shrug:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I watched both movies. :shrug:

first movie must've been boring for you

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I appreciated it as a sci-fi movie, but I'm sure a lot of it flew over my head. Does Netflix or Hulu or anyone stream X-Files?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I saw it in the theatre and the only reason I wasn't bored was because I got a handy.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Whip Slagcheek posted:

I appreciated it as a sci-fi movie, but I'm sure a lot of it flew over my head. Does Netflix or Hulu or anyone stream X-Files?

netflix has the whole series, but not the movies iirc

edit: the first movie takes place between season 5 and 6, second movie after the series

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Stultus Maximus posted:

I saw it in the theatre and the only reason I wasn't bored was because I got a handy.

I'll always look back fondly on Batman and Robin for the same reason

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I'll always look back fondly on Batman and Robin for the same reason

gangs of new york for me

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah, the backstory poo poo got pretty ridiculous as they tried like hell to longjump out of the corner they painted themselves into. the way the series was set up was pretty foolproof though, since if they needed more time to figure out how to connect the Smoking Man to yet another goddamn historical event or preventing the Buffalo Bills from winning the Super Bowl. (ed- s04e07 "Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man holy poo poo this episode fuckin owns)they could just throw together some passable script written by an intern and have mulder and scully go through the fuckin paces with maybe some help given by Deus Ex Machina in human form AD Skinner.

Plus Chris Carter was busy writing his next show, Millennium, during like season 3 or 4 i think and once the good guest writers finished with their A material and David Duchovney was balls deep in every woman not named Tea Leoni when they realized they should probably do more background stuff to justify a summer movie and give Chris Carter a good jumping point back into the show when it became apparent that people didnt want to watch a show where a dude saves his wife from a goddamn serial killer only to have his wife leave him immediately after because he killed the serial killer when saving her (seriously Millennium was insanely lovely at times). Chris Carter comes back, farts around for a bit before running off to make the Lone Gunman series, that lasted like 3 episodes before Fox dragged it out back and shot the gently caress out of it.

So then Chris Carter comes back again, Duchovney leaves to do Red Shoe Diaries I think, and the lovely Ivan Reitman movie with Stifler and pops up every now and again while the T-1000 holds Gillian Anderson back from running to England to act there, and no one gives a poo poo except for the Smoking Man, since it gave him a platform to yell at Richard Dawkins about (seriously. also he has an acting school that he runs)

also if this isnt the drunk thread i dont give a gently caress im high as gently caress and now im gonna watch some fuckin xfiles

shes got the julia louis-dreyfus syndrome where she's continually getting hotter as time goes on and its p. scary

also

autism

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Genocide Tendency posted:

I'm watching two Komodo Dragons fighting on TV.

Brutal

Now it's a Great White Shark lemon shark vs a Saltwater Croc.

Coastline of northern Australia. Because where else.

These animal fight night shows are kinda awesome.

Edit: they lied with the lead in.

Genocide Tendency fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 18, 2015

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Ant Man was legitimately on the Goonies level of light hearted, fun and adventurous, go watch it. Paul Rudd killed it

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004

DownByTheWooter posted:

edit: oh gently caress it I love you too

Every time I see your avatar, I look down and its like a 99% match. If You had to identify someone by paunch, it would be near impossible.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

I have a confession.

I have never see The Goonies.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I have a confession.

I have never see The Goonies.

Same.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Seeing it for the first time at 30 as compared to 7 is probably going to take some shine off of it, but it's still got that perfect level of loving nostalgia to be worth the watch. It's not a perfect movie, but it's a near perfect fantasy of youth

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

gangs of new york for me

Philadelphia.

loving Denzel and Tom had her so interested she wouldn't take her eyes off the screen to suck my Cock and instead gave me a very disinterested handy and my Dick touched the back of a movie theater seat which I'm p. sure isn't where the HPV came from but I need something to blame or I get kinda.. Skin pigmentation.. Phobic.. and just assume it came from that one time I got a minor case of the jungle fever and played just the tip with a colored girl mid menses, leading to dick warts and coochie cancer for all future members of my completely hosed up psychosocialsexual menagerie.

:smith:

Just...

Trigger warnings man. My name is Shim, this is both my name and preferred pronoun, and my triggers are Movie Theater Hand Beezy's, and black chicks in leopard leggings buying feminine hygiene products at the gas station.

Just..

Warn a brother, Is all. Ya know?

Here let's all have happy thoughts:

http://youtu.be/y3KRQSpORW0

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

MaxPowers posted:

Every time I see your avatar, I look down and its like a 99% match. If You had to identify someone by paunch, it would be near impossible.

Same.

also

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
X Files and Millennium are both cool and good and if you like them you are cool and good. Ok later.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stsMAntb1w

hail saitain

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Also never seen top gun, or fast times at ridgemont high.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also never seen top gun,

Wait, then how can you tell when a Naval Aviator is coming on to you? :confused:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Mr. Nice! posted:

fast times at ridgemont high.

Just Google the Phoebe Cates boobie scene and you've seen everything you need to see.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

ManMythLegend posted:

Just Google the Phoebe Cates boobie scene and you've seen everything you need to see.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I've never seen the Godfather trilogy.

And anyone who hasn't seen X-Files, it's just a low rent Fringe. Watch that instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I saw episodes here and there of xfiles growing up, watching through all of it right now. Shits still good mang.

• Locked thread