Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

FuzzySkinner posted:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/trump-attacks-mccain-being-prisoner-war-i-people-werent-captured_993092.html#.Vap_qf3YSaM.twitter

Please, please, please, please...I beg of everyone.

Please let veterans see this poo poo. Holy Hell.

What an amazingly condescending little poo poo. If this is what he's saying now, as presumably he's getting used to politicking, what kind of things will he say later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

RareAcumen posted:

Please, you or someone else go into why Mississippi is so bad.

It's full of black people and Americans hate black people.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Goatman Sacks posted:

I mean he has a point. McCain got a flight position he didn't deserve because of his daddy, crashed 4 planes, and then was punished for war crimes by the Vietnamese.

McCain is a poo poo idiot warhawk but saying he's poo poo because he was a prisoner of war is a special flavor of dick.

So many good reasons to call him poo poo and that's what Trump picks.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I desperately want this to be the final straw and for the collective republican machine to just lay into him like the wrath of God.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Shugojin posted:

McCain is a poo poo idiot warhawk but saying he's poo poo because he was a prisoner of war is a special flavor of dick.

Don't cry about bamboo under your fingernails after dropping 500 pounds of napalm on children.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Pierson posted:

I desperately want this to be the final straw and for the collective republican machine to just lay into him like the wrath of God.

It totally will be. I'm disappointed because I was hoping Trump would last to get to a primary debate or two.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

SeANMcBAY posted:

It totally will be. I'm disappointed because I was hoping Trump would last to get to a primary debate or two.
Such pessimism!

The base loves Trump and I don't think they like McCain, so Trump's poll numbers will remain high enough (or keep going up...) for a while yet.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Goatman Sacks posted:

Don't cry about bamboo under your fingernails after dropping 500 pounds of napalm on children.

I think we're on the same page here, McCain sucks and did awful things but tons of people are PoW who didn't dump napalm on basically where the gently caress ever and in general "he got captured" is just a very weird thing to go after him for.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Wesley Clark said the same thing about McCain during the 08 campaign, it was barely on the news for 2 days. Don't underesteimate the ability of someone to totally warp their valus to justify their current opinions. John Kerry is far more deserving of being called a war hero than McCain, and he's been called a traitor for 11 years by everyone on the right wing.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Such pessimism!

The base loves Trump and I don't think they like McCain, so Trump's poll numbers will remain high enough (or keep going up...) for a while yet.
I can't get it to load but I'm guessing it's Trump trashing McCain. In which case you're right, this isn't anything new for the base. The more radical (in the real sense of the word, not the way idiots toss it around to mean "someone i don't like") right wing shills like Savage and Levin constantly hurl insults at McCain for being a RINO at best or a cowardly liberal at worst since, while he's still a poo poo head war hawk, he's not thirsty enough for middle eastern blood fit their tastes. Or just because he tends to want to talk and even occasionally sell compromise rather than hold a child like stance along party lines against the gay/feminist/black/Jew/Muslim/pro choice menace.

Hazo fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 18, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Goatman Sacks posted:

You realize he literally just said 'I don't respect people who get captured' right? Like I know you think you're being the cool edgy dude or whatever but nah there's really nothing to defend in a statement that amounts to 'if you were a POW at any point I don't respect you'.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Shugojin posted:

Trump is just saying the same thing the far right at the time said about about all the "failures" of Vietnam coming back home or the Forgotten Korea War vets. America deserves only Victory and they are the sort of people that can't stand losers sullying our military record with a loss. Just because it hasn't been said in a while because McCain's generation has become the establishment doesn't mean that animosity doesn't still exist and is very palpable for a base that would love to fry any RINO for any reason, let alone not being Audie Murphy and coming back to the states in a USA themed Roman Triumph.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

http://recordedradio.com/?powerpress_pinw=19880-podcast

Start listening at 8:09 to hear Rush make a complete rear end of himself with a half-baked analogy comparing Muslims to Japanese-Americans during World War 2.

Then you can skip to 16:00 to hear Rush make the claim that the liberals copied the idea for TDS from THHNH. edit: Or maybe he's saying Comedy Central stole the idea for TDS from him? It's hard to hell.

Typical Pubbie fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 18, 2015

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

computer parts posted:

It's full of black people and Americans hate black people.

It's full of people who don't count black people as Americans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Strawman posted:

It's full of people who don't count black people as Americans.

Yeah, but most of the "lol Mississippi is trash" metrics are because of the black people. The average white Mississippian is pretty close to the average white American.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Hazo posted:

I can't get it to load but I'm guessing it's Trump trashing McCain. In which case you're right, this isn't anything new for the base. The more radical (in the real sense of the word, not the way idiots toss it around to mean "someone i don't like") right wing shills like Savage and Levin constantly hurl insults at McCain for being a RINO at best or a cowardly liberal at worst since, while he's still a poo poo head war hawk, he's not thirsty enough for middle eastern blood fit their tastes. Or just because he tends to want to talk and even occasionally sell compromise rather than hold a child like stance along party lines against the gay/feminist/black/Jew/Muslim/pro choice menace.

McCain has never been a far right poo poo bag and has a history of going against his party's line when the time is right. He's willing to actually work with the Democrats sometimes and is perfectly willing to vote for what Democrats are putting up if he agrees with it. He's still a right wing prick to be sure but as the party has gone further and further to the right he hasn't gone with them and they have increasingly hated him for it. Now that politics have gotten so incredibly polarized and the right's policy is "do what we want or we burn the whole thing down" anybody that's willing to compromise on anything, ever, at all is branded a RINO and cast out.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

McCain has never been a far right poo poo bag

If you ignore all of 2008 maybe.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

computer parts posted:

Yeah, but most of the "lol Mississippi is trash" metrics are because of the black people. The average white Mississippian is pretty close to the average white American.

Alternate interpretation: because of the way Mississippi *treats* black people

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How anyone can say the man who gave the country Sarah Palin isn't a far right shithead is beyond me.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Alternate interpretation: because of the way Mississippi *treats* black people

No, because black people are treated like trash all over the country. There's just more of them in Mississippi.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pierson posted:

you're no fun onii-chan.

the heebie-gbs
Apr 23, 2007

♫ twerrrmmmmm ♫
       /
:sax:

Shbobdb posted:

Did the "fighting words" decisions ever get reversed? Seems like it'd be a pretty clear time to bring those out.

Chaplinsky is still good law as far as I know.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Hazo posted:

Here's what Lindsey Graham's followers have to say about Trump's comments!

(I didn't anonymize it because it's a public Facebook page)

Axolotl
Jan 23, 2002
Whatever

All the Swift Boat chickens are coming home to roost.

You reap what you sow, motherfuckers!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:stonklol:

The ugly truth of the are troopz crowd.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Klaus88 posted:

:stonklol:

The ugly truth of the are troopz crowd.

Helghan only likes winners, Klaus.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I know it's still really early in the interminable hellscape that is an American Presidential Election, but what is the Good Thread's honest opinion about Trump's actual, realistic odds of getting the GOP nom? The base may like him, but will there eventually come a moment where the party brass takes The Donald's ball away, tells him playtime is over, and puts forward someone else?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Yeah you guys really don't get the whole Trump phenomenon. He's out there saying dumb poo poo and that literally is the best thing he can do. The fact that he's saying poo poo with no filter means he's not 'controlled' by anyone, he's not focus grouped, and he's not a politician. People are sick and tired of politicians and will accept just about anything from Trump as long as he isn't a congressperson or a governor or whatever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

bango skank posted:

How anyone can say the man who gave the country Sarah Palin isn't a far right shithead is beyond me.

Pretty sure she was a last minute desperate decision and people weren't quite sure just how insane she was at the time. To be honest it felt more like a response to Oblammo and trying to court women to vote R because she was a woman veep candidate.

Then it turned out she was a psychotic Tea Partier and it ended up losing them votes.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then it turned out she was a psychotic Tea Partier and it ended up losing them votes.

More like psychotic proto-Tea Partier because that particular rebranding movement hadn't really taken hold yet.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

StandardVC10 posted:

More like psychotic proto-Tea Partier because that particular rebranding movement hadn't really taken hold yet.

Yeah she was kind of a precursor to what was going to come next. I remember that election having a lot of "well who is our veep going to be?" too as if they just couldn't find anybody good. Then they grabbed Palin and...it was a very bad idea.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah I remember hearing about sarah palin for the first time in 2008 and thinking she might be a good choice for VP for like five minutes at least

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Leofish posted:

I know it's still really early in the interminable hellscape that is an American Presidential Election, but what is the Good Thread's honest opinion about Trump's actual, realistic odds of getting the GOP nom? The base may like him, but will there eventually come a moment where the party brass takes The Donald's ball away, tells him playtime is over, and puts forward someone else?

It's genuinely difficult to say at this point. Trump has turned into one of those genuinely weird candidates who doesn't fit easily into the established way of doing things. There's a lot of reason to think the GOP establishment will refuse to condone him, but he's struck a powerful populist vein in the American far right. Basically, Trump is the logical end result of the Tea Party movement and that's something the GOP never intended.

He is not going to be president bar freak circumstances, though. If he gets the GOP nom, holy poo poo is he doing to piss off moderates and undecideds, and there's a good chance he'll mobilize more people to vote for Hillary than the Democrats ever could. If he runs third party like he's threatening, the Democrats will get a historic victory.

Probably the biggest question mark for Trump is just how much of his own hype he believes versus how much is showmanship.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

I mean he has a point. McCain got a flight position he didn't deserve because of his daddy, crashed 4 planes, and then was punished for war crimes by the Vietnamese.

Good try, but you forgot to blame the Forrestal fire on him.

No joke, I've heard people try to say it was his fault, for not backing his plane off the deck and making the explosion worse or not heroically battling the flames and dying when the bomb exploded.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Leofish posted:

The magic is I have no idea! He's really terrible, but he has a bunch of support from people who just like someone who says the right weird things and is ~an outsider~. If he doesn't give up before the first primary it will be a "fun" test of how much the base has fractured.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Leofish posted:

This is Trump
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjonGtrCyVE

I don't think we've really had a candidate like Trump in recent memory.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leofish posted:

There is a higher chance of Bernie Sanders winning on a third party ticket.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Venusian Weasel posted:

Good try, but you forgot to blame the Forrestal fire on him.

No joke, I've heard people try to say it was his fault, for not backing his plane off the deck and making the explosion worse or not heroically battling the flames and dying when the bomb exploded.

There's some speculation that he blew his afterburner in the face of the guy behind him to show off, which cooked off the ordnance that started the whole thing - which was promptly covered up by Admiral Daddy.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Shugojin posted:

The magic is I have no idea! He's really terrible, but he has a bunch of support from people who just like someone who says the right weird things and is ~an outsider~. If he doesn't give up before the first primary it will be a "fun" test of how much the base has fractured.

Pretty much. For non-Americans watching the fireworks, Trump is the conflict between establishment conservatism and populist conservatism in the American far right made manifest.

Again the big question mark is just how much of his yammering he actually believes versus how much is pandering showmanship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Cythereal posted:

Again the big question mark is just how much of his yammering he actually believes versus how much is pandering showmanship.
I don't think even Trump knows the answer to that question.