Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Leper Residue posted:

On my first solar eclipse I got a broken hero's blade and nothing else. On my second I got two broken hero's blade, death sickle, chainsaw, nail gun, moon stone, mothron wings and an eye of chtulu. It was ridiculous (and awesome).

edit: Oh wait, forgot about the silly amount of neptune shells that dropped each time I had to junk cause I was running out of space in my inventory.

Oh right, I also got a death scythe. That thing is really nice, I'm occasionally using it over my Seedler when the situation calls for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Death Sickle's projectile goes through walls which is Good and Cool. Also autoswing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The scythes are also affected by flask buffs which is Cool and Good.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

RatHat posted:

Ugh, I can't find a martian probe. I saw one early into hardmode but killed it. If I knew they were this rare I would've left it alive.

The two I found were up around sky islands, don't know if that's a better place to find them than just wandering around near your oceans.

I got excited and blew the first one to pieces before I realised it didn't drop the invasion item and you were meant to let it live instead :downs:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

you know as long as the cell phone is giving info it should tell you what biomes your area qualify for. Maybe next update.

You can get hair dye for that.

What's the easiest backwall to procure in excessive quantities? I think I have been a little overambitious in my latest construction project.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

What's the easiest backwall to procure in excessive quantities? I think I have been a little overambitious in my latest construction project.

Dirt, stone, woods. there's probably a snow or ice one.

Mortvert
Oct 13, 2013

What?!
This is amazing!

The Lone Badger posted:

If you have demolitionist - go to cavern level with several stacks of dynamite/bombs - that'll solve all your problems.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I beat Skeletron last night and noticed the Dungeon is a big jump in difficulty. I'm using all the bee armor, the bee gun, bee bow, and summoning bees. That now makes quick work of the mobs in the dungeon but they're making quick work of me. I guess I have to just play more carefully if I'm going to be bee-centric.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Don't be afraid to chain-chug potions, you'll have more than you can drink from dungeon pots.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Holy moly, wall of flesh is kicking my rear end on expert. I made 75 blocks of dynamite and set them off with a detonator as soon as I dropped the voodoo doll, but it still had enough health to chase me halfway through the underworld and caress me tenderly with those tentacles.

I'm just going to stack 200 dynamite and blow it up instead.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Holy moly, wall of flesh is kicking my rear end on expert. I made 75 blocks of dynamite and set them off with a detonator as soon as I dropped the voodoo doll, but it still had enough health to chase me halfway through the underworld and caress me tenderly with those tentacles.

This sounds like a great idea so long as you take measures to ensure that doesn't just blow a hole straight into lava for all the loot to fall in.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Much easier to kill demons in the underworld until one drops the Demon Scythe spell. It tears through the Wall of Flesh something fierce.

You'd have to build a bridge across a large chunk of the underworld if you haven't already though.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Hellwing bow and the hellfire arrows destroyed him even in expert mode. also threw a few beenades in there for good measure but spamming the bow was enough alone

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

YF-23 posted:

You'd have to build a bridge across a large chunk of the underworld if you haven't already though.

Water Walking Potions.

Or boots, I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Section Z posted:

This sounds like a great idea so long as you take measures to ensure that doesn't just blow a hole straight into lava for all the loot to fall in.

Wall of Flesh spawns a crimtane/demonite brick box containing all of its loot when you kill it to make sure that doesn't happen.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
38 nymphs to go till I get my banner, 39 till I get the Tim banner. Ho hum.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I'm using my yoyo bag with the Ice yoyo and it just shreds hardmode mobs, it's insane. Not so tough now motherfuckers!

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

lmao got an Arkhalis off the first shrine I've ever broken

suck it, RNG

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
The friend I've been playing expert with is going to be away for a week and I thought I'd load up the world and brew some potions and make bullets to be ready for Plantera, because I hate myself apparently.

Three solar eclipses in a row :smithicide:

Just... just gently caress off, Mothron. You are the worst.

Jesus christ.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Expert wall of flesh is strange. I beat him easily enough with the hellwing bow but now that I'm far better equipped, I can't seem to kill him anymore. He's super easy until about 20% of his hp is left, where something happens (?) And I immediately get hit for like 200 hp twice in a row. I don't think he even reached me the two times that it happened, the game just decided that I should die.

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Wall of Flesh spawns a crimtane/demonite brick box containing all of its loot when you kill it to make sure that doesn't happen.

i think they meant maybe the dynamite would destroy that too, if there was too much going off at different intervals

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

The Lone Badger posted:

If you have lots of money you can buy grass/flower walls from the Dryad or wallpaper (which counts as a backwall) from the Painter.

You can also farm massive amounts of hay really easily by walking across the surface and swinging a sickle, especially if you have the boots that make plants grow.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

I'm coming back to this game after a long break (1.1???) and either they've changed everything radically or I just can not deal with this game at all now. Everything in hardmode destroys me. I immediately melt like butter the second I face a boss. I used to be able to kill all of the mechanical bosses, but I drop like a rock. I've got a boss arena (read: numerous levels of wooden platforms suspended well above the ground), cobalt armour, Daedalus with Holy Arrows, a Godly Amarok with a Yoyo Bag, I've tried magic, nothing helps. The closest I've gotten is with Daedalus (nearly killed one of the Twin eyes) but that's about it.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just bad at video games?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Do your arenas have campfires and heart lanterns? That extra regen is huge.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Do your arenas have campfires and heart lanterns? That extra regen is huge.

I guess I'm off to mine every Life Crystal I ignored. :negative:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Kalsco posted:

I'm coming back to this game after a long break (1.1???) and either they've changed everything radically or I just can not deal with this game at all now. Everything in hardmode destroys me. I immediately melt like butter the second I face a boss. I used to be able to kill all of the mechanical bosses, but I drop like a rock. I've got a boss arena (read: numerous levels of wooden platforms suspended well above the ground), cobalt armour, Daedalus with Holy Arrows, a Godly Amarok with a Yoyo Bag, I've tried magic, nothing helps. The closest I've gotten is with Daedalus (nearly killed one of the Twin eyes) but that's about it.

What am I doing wrong? Am I just bad at video games?

If it rains fight as many Angry Nimbuses as you can, the staff they drop absolutely wrecks the Destroyer. The Destroyer is also probably the easiest mechanical boss. Also, in my opinion, a couple must-have accessories for all the fights are the Band of Regeneration (for the potion cooldown) and the Star Veil (for the increased invincibility frames after getting hit). Good armour is also obviously very important; Titanium's set bonus is great.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

YF-23 posted:

If it rains fight as many Angry Nimbuses as you can, the staff they drop absolutely wrecks the Destroyer. The Destroyer is also probably the easiest mechanical boss. Also, in my opinion, a couple must-have accessories for all the fights are the Band of Regeneration (for the potion cooldown) and the Star Veil (for the increased invincibility frames after getting hit). Good armour is also obviously very important; Titanium's set bonus is great.

He already has the Daedalus Stormbow. If The Destroyer lasts more than 20 seconds he's doing something very, very wrong.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Any chance cell phone version will be updated to 1.3?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Holyshoot posted:

Any chance cell phone version will be updated to 1.3?

That's 505 games, same as the console, right? So probably same time that does.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

dis astranagant posted:

He already has the Daedalus Stormbow. If The Destroyer lasts more than 20 seconds he's doing something very, very wrong.

I haven't actually tried the Destroyer with the Daedalus yet, just The Twins. I'll give it a shot and see if I'm just terrible.

e: That lasted about as long as you said it would. :stare:

Kalsco fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 18, 2015

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

My attempts to Win At Building continue apace. While i'm at it I grabbed some screens of other poo poo I built too:

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

I Said No posted:

My attempts to Win At Building continue apace. While i'm at it I grabbed some screens of other poo poo I built too:

Shine on, you crazy diamond.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

would that I had half as much building skill

but nope, ugly boxes for me

Excelzior fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 18, 2015

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

VineST posted:

i think they meant maybe the dynamite would destroy that too, if there was too much going off at different intervals

Well I mostly forgot about the box, having never activated hard mode personally. But yeah that's basically what I meant, considering the apparent goal was to blow them the gently caress up out the gate.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Oh what wonderful science experiments you can do in this game :allears: "Hey mister Owl. How many dynamites does it take to get to the tootsie loot center of a wall of flesh?" "a one. a two... hundred. a *BOOM*"

Excelzior posted:

would that I had half as much building skill

but nope, ugly boxes for me

Even then, his buildings can serve as inspiration for those of us like you and me. Because that fancy rainbow prisim set of towers is, when you get down to it, a series of rectangles.

We can do it, we know the shapes. We just need to learn to be fancy with them :unsmith:

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
So let's say I wanted to be truly a douche, and rig some sort of system on the spawn that traps the player inside. How could you go about doing that? Some sort of dynamite rig, maybe actuated walls of a level higher than their pickaxe?

Don't judge me they deserve it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GodspeedSphere posted:

So let's say I wanted to be truly a douche, and rig some sort of system on the spawn that traps the player inside. How could you go about doing that? Some sort of dynamite rig, maybe actuated walls of a level higher than their pickaxe?

This sounds ridiculously overcomplicated. If you know their spawn point, why not just brick it up.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I guess because a cube of dungeon bricks with two tiles above the lava inside is just too impersonal for Wile E Coyote.

Is the wiki correct in stating dungeon bricks near the surface spawn don't needing top end (like it says about demonite) on that note?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Okay, build a 3 block wide hellevator under their spawn point all the way to hell into a nice lava pit. As long as they don't have something to deal with it, anyway.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

They'd have to be a mediumcore character, where you'd set up a pressure plate rigged to explosives right under the spawn and some lava under that so that they spawn, die, then have their items drop in lava and disappear. You have to keep that part of the map encased in something so that when they respawn with no equipment they have no way to dig their way out. Though, I think there's a second or two of invincibility frames when a player enters a world.

If they are softcore you could try to make escaping too costly by surrounding the spawn area in two-layered encasement that has lava between the layers so that the player trying to dig their way out has to content with breaching into the lava. Which might be fairly easy to dodge, granted, depending on the amount of lava used and the character loadout (for example if they have a Lava Charm that gives the 7-second lava immunity).

If the spawn is the origin or it doesn't get removed by lava touching it (I don't know how rooms/beds behave in lava) you could of course just submerge that whole thing in lava, though again that's not a guarantee depending on character loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

I Said No posted:

This stuff is great, really cool buildings.