Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
i think it depends on what kind of work you want to do. if you want to do digital design, well, i'm under the impression that fpga work is that it is something that digital designers kind of fall into based on the requirements of the project that they're given.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

movax posted:

its even cheaper, the low-end kits from altera and xilinx with the low-end fabric + pcie hard ip + transceivers are around $500 or so i think

it takes like 20 minutes to go from out-of-box to running some custom logic to make leds blink using 5 GT/s pcie, pretty legit
yeah all my info is approaching 5 years old, im generally pretty good at hiding that tho

Mr Dog posted:

yeah i mean i get how it works on a conceptual level, i'm just wondering how easy it would be to get a job with no prior experience.
i can't get a job with prior experience soooo

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

SCLK: ______|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Mido posted:

SCLK: ______|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|_|‾|

http://wavedrom.com/editor.html?%7B...narrow%27%7D%7D

lol transparency

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

lol it doesn't base64 the json description or anything

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it is a very useful tool tho imo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

when I was a kid I took a class with fpgas and I was really impressed by how gross the hdl was (can't remember which)

when i moved schools I was really excited because they used the other one and I assumed that there was no way it could be as bad as the first

i was wrong as heck . i do software now

karasu
Jan 3, 2008
starting new job today, woo.

involves porting a lot of existing hdl IP into alteras qsys system level integration tool. qsys is pretty nice from what I have seen, the company has full designs with nothing than a top level hdl file and one hierarchical qsys system.

how are the system integration tools in xilinx land, are they comparable?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

karasu posted:

how are the system integration tools in xilinx land, are they comparable?

i dont know much about the specifics of what youre talking about but every xilinx software tool ive ever used has been a giant piece of poo poo so theyre probably really bad

movax
Aug 30, 2008

vivado 2015.2 out today

someone please go suffer and report back how much it sucks.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Arcsech posted:

i dont know much about the specifics of what youre talking about but every xilinx software tool ive ever used has been a giant piece of poo poo so theyre probably really bad

also this

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you will be pleased to know that i have solved the problem in the op with a cypress fx3. the garbage i just banged together with eval boards was pushing 88 mbits on usb2 without breaking a sweat. loving owns.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
88/480 and happy about it lmao

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my data source is too slow to saturate it :)

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

my data source is too slow to saturate it :)

isoch wat u did there

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

i2c wat u did there

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
i posted this in the cjs thread the other day but it was moving to fast and idk if anybody who would care saw it so I'm posting it here too

my first big installation involving micros is finishing up. this is some very quick phone crap I shot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ww_ZGCWT5D4

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

oh poo poo are you the one who does museum exhibits or whatever? i want your job

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
yah thats me

there's a surprising amount of exhibit houses out there. if you're on the coasts there's a lot more opportunities.... if you're seriously interested in the field look around for interactive systems design/fab places

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

celectronicss: im pretty sure im slowly inventing my own weird sort of microcontroller and sticking it in this fpga

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

celectronicss: im pretty sure im slowly inventing my own weird sort of microcontroller and sticking it in this fpga

until you're making the harvard/VN call ur probably safe

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it started as a circular buffer of commands but then i realized that because some commands are much more frequent than others either the buffer needs to be massive or it needs to have flow control so now im thinking about adding some notion of loops and nested loops and hopefully it stops there

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
what justified growing it bigger than a fsm in the first place?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

reconfigurability/programmability i guess

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

or, as i like to call it, building poo poo w/o even halfassed requirements

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i am probably overengineering this

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
generators are nice for making a bunch of config registers from a set of basic definitions about what the bits in each register do and not needing to hand code up a bunch of registers, or for hooking up a bunch of interrupt wires into status registers where you are going through several definitions of what interrupt status goes to each bit as a project evolves and you want to just be able to change a list of bits and what they do and have them automatically make registers. you don't need it, but for certain things where you know you are gonna have the same RTL repeated hundreds or thousands of times it can make the RTL generation and the process of stitching it all together a lot easier.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

reconfigurability/programmability i guess

are you actually doing that? like changing memory regs between runs or are you recompiling the whole fpga each time?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

like its doing a thing, and then some data comes in the usb port, and it does another thing

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
that's fine, but it could totally be the case where you'd built something "flexible" that went through the same tool delay as more "rigid" constructions and I was going to have a hearty laugh at ur expense

which I still might, idk

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Bloody posted:

it started as a circular buffer of commands but then i realized that because some commands are much more frequent than others either the buffer needs to be massive or it needs to have flow control so now im thinking about adding some notion of loops and nested loops and hopefully it stops there

you don't even need lots of registers or ALU ops to be a useful CPU (6502 shows that) so just go hog wild

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
http://www.zachtronics.com/kohctpyktop-engineer-of-the-people/

quote:

In KOHCTPYKTOP: Engineer of the People, you play as an engineer working in a semiconductor factory designing integrated circuits based on specifications provided to you. What does it have to do with communism? You’ll have to play to find out!

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i got the reset pmic, fumbling on oscillators now ugh

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hahaha holy poo poo is this real

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Bloody posted:

hahaha holy poo poo is this real

it's the same guy that did spacechem. this is kinda His Thing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Yeah I know but still

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Phobeste posted:

it's the same guy that did spacechem. this is kinda His Thing

He also made a game about programming in assembly. It's called TIS-100 and is on steam. It's actually really good

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

JawnV6 posted:

i got the reset pmic, fumbling on oscillators now ugh

I got stuck on the latch mechanism :/ couldn't figure out how to make it simpler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
these are amazing, thanks atomicthumbs

thumbs

• Locked thread