Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I think I got my last two off of Dice. Probably depends on where you are, though. I also scrape Craigslist, Linkedin, Monster, and Indeed. Sometimes CareerBuilder, but that's less common. I haven't gotten any jobs off of the latter five, though, so put those in whatever order you want. Someone's going to tell you to work on your linkedin if you have any level of experience, too. Some lucky bastards get a ton of messages from recruiters, to the point they don't have to look anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Drink and Fight posted:

What's the best place to look for job postings these days?

Dice and Indeed seem to best for searching for stuff, but maintain a LinkedIn profile so recruiters come you as well.

MJP posted:

Day 1 post-raise bomb.

So did they give you anywhere near what you asked for?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Also check the websites of small companies in the area. They don't always advertise on external sites.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Dice and Indeed seem to best for searching for stuff, but maintain a LinkedIn profile so recruiters come you as well.

So did they give you anywhere near what you asked for?

I think what he was saying is the day after he dropped the bomb. Not that he's post-raise.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Someone's going to tell you to work on your linkedin if you have any level of experience, too. Some lucky bastards get a ton of messages from recruiters, to the point they don't have to look anymore.
Yeah find myself swamped with about 60% legitimate offers from LinkedIn. SCOM, operations, and NOC experience + ITIL and IT background seem to be matching people's buzzwords somewhere.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I think what he was saying is the day after he dropped the bomb. Not that he's post-raise.

Yeah, that's what I thought as well, that it's "post raise-bomb". Still though, MJP, tell us they gave you everything you need.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Post raise-request-bomb is how I read it.

Also he just asked for the raise the day before and hasn't posted about results yet.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Does anyone else blast this out of their computer when they return a broken Mac to a client?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Some lucky bastards get a ton of messages from recruiters, to the point they don't have to look anymore.

It's pretty nice :dukedog:

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Every time I touch my resume on Monster or update my LinkedIn profile, I get at least half a dozen calls and a dozen emails a day from recruiters, probably half of which are about legit perm jobs in my area that actually fit my skill set (the rest are spam from overseas call centers for poo poo contract jobs in random podunk towns across the country that are barely related to my experience, of course). It's actually a bit annoying when I'm not really looking, but it's good to know the market is still hot around here, I suppose.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Stolen from the 'pos and timg'ed for :nms:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Seal that thing in a bag, go down to the morgue, and ask to borrow their incinerator.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Did someone spill a soda on it and leave it for a couple weeks? Wait, new guess. Coffee, with milk and sugar.

E: if that's from someone here, throw it out. Then tell them that you couldn't retrieve any of the data because $technical_sounding_reason that makes it the fault of whoever left that mess sitting for so long.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 19, 2015

J
Jun 10, 2001

But there are important pictures of someone's kids on there. Please think of the children.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

J posted:

But there are important pictures of someone's kids on there. Please think of the children.

I'd hand them an external and claim "biohazard, can't touch it, sorry".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

J posted:

"$500, up front, no guarantees I'll be able to recover anything, and you'll be billed separately for the hazmat disposal fees". I have all the PPE to do asbestos remediation, I wouldn't mind tearing that apart to get the HDD out, especially not for $500.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

"$500, up front, no guarantees I'll be able to recover anything, and you'll be billed separately for the hazmat disposal fees". I have all the PPE to do asbestos remediation, I wouldn't mind tearing that apart to get the HDD out, especially not for $500.

Charge that, take it in the back and just dispose of it immediately. " sorry, couldn't get anything off it "

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Dillbag posted:

"So, will we be incinerating this or just dipping it in acid?"

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

dennyk posted:

)It's actually a bit annoying when I'm not really looking, but it's good to know the market is still hot around here, I suppose.

Yeah, I hate receiving news of potential new opportunities that might further my career while also validating my career decisions to date without any effort at all on my part.

That totally sucks.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

J posted:

Someone's kids, yes. Not from the laptop user, however. :pedo:

How long does mold take to grow on a laptop like that?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If the mold in my coworkers' coffee mugs is any indication, at least a week.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I just got a phone call from one of our clients' "IT"

"Hi, I have plugged in this USB hub and connected 3 printers and scanner to it..."

I dont even...
:suicide:

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

We just had a really warm and muggy weekend in my area.

Apparently the A/C in the server room gave up on life. Not a single server is up. Phones are down. Gonna be a great monday.

Edit : Woo! The webserver is still alive! keep soldiering forward, lil guy!

Double Edit : A/C Went down for about 18 hours, and our casualty list includes a couple of hard drives and some power supplies on some core networking gear. Looks like it could have been a lot worse.

Nerdrock fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 20, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

This sounds like a great way to have the printer spool freak out when someone tried to print a 300 page document and doesn't get there rear end up off the chair to actually go get it for 3 hours :v:

Not if it's built right. We're using PaperCut + PaperCut-compatible Toshiba MFPs. Papercut presents itself as a Windows network print queue to our users and caches jobs itself. The user taps a HID-enabled card to a panel on the MFP and chooses which jobs to release on a touchscreen. PaperCut releases the job to the appropriate (private, access-restricted) windows queue for that printer and the printer spits it out.

Right now, I count fifty outstanding jobs in our queue (we drop unprinted jobs after 7 days) that are over fifty pages. One is 290 pages :shepface: Hasn't hiccupped yet.

I'm told by Papercut that scaling by clustering is "easy." I don't think we'll ever be in a place to actually test that claim.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 20, 2015

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Dillbag posted:

That colony is on the cusp of creating a rudimentary constitutional government -- leave them be!

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

Nerdrock posted:

We just had a really warm and muggy weekend in my area.

Apparently the A/C in the server room gave up on life. Not a single server is up. Phones are down. Gonna be a great monday.

Edit : Woo! The webserver is still alive! keep soldiering forward, lil guy!

Double Edit : A/C Went down for about 18 hours, and our casualty list includes a couple of hard drives and some power supplies on some core networking gear. Looks like it could have been a lot worse.

We had this happen once and now we have an alarm that goes off and someone gets a call if the temperature in the server room goes above or below certain thresholds

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

siggy2021 posted:

We had this happen once and now we have an alarm that goes off and someone gets a call if the temperature in the server room goes above or below certain thresholds

Oh we definitely have that. Were I higher up on the totem pole here, I'd ask my network admin what the hell happened about that. It might just need some tweaking, since as things were being brought back up, I was bullshitting with him, and then his phone started getting those very notifications.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Potato Salad posted:

That colony is on the cusp of creating a rudimentary constitutional government -- leave them be!

If I have to invoke the Prime Directive then it's time to retire the machine.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Potato Salad posted:

Not if it's built right. We're using PaperCut + PaperCut-compatible Toshiba MFPs. Papercut presents itself as a Windows network print queue to our users and caches jobs itself. The user taps a HID-enabled card to a panel on the MFP and chooses which jobs to release on a touchscreen. PaperCut releases the job to the appropriate (private, access-restricted) windows queue for that printer and the printer spits it out.

Right now, I count fifty outstanding jobs in our queue (we drop unprinted jobs after 7 days) that are over fifty pages. One is 290 pages :shepface: Hasn't hiccupped yet.

I'm told by Papercut that scaling by clustering is "easy." I don't think we'll ever be in a place to actually test that claim.

I'm desperately trying to convince management to look at Papercut for our Canon MFPs rather than Equitrac, but I'm fairly certain it's a lost cause at this point.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Does anybody know if there's a flag in Exchange Online to run a rule against messages which aren't classified as Spam?

There's one for setting the SCL above which the rule will trigger, but not one below which it will trigger - so I get a whole bunch of false notifications from quarantined emails.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Management: "Aren't you done this project yet?"
Me: "You obviously don't understand what's involved to complete this successfully so it doesn't blow up in our face later. We want to make sure this time around it's better. Let me explain what is entailed..."
Management: "That sounds complicated, but I'm sure we can go back to how we had it before."

:shepicide:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

We use Equitrac.

Initially it was rolled out for head office only, and that took several weeks to get up and running (before I started here). that was due to the Card Reader not being compatible with our security passes and requiring a specific model, and the card reader requiring powered USB hubs because the Ricoh MFP couldnt supply enough power on the single USB port.

I'm now rolling it out nationally and it has taken 7+ months. The Vendor, despite all our previous issues and us reminding them of those issues, supplied us with the wrong card readers, no USB hubs, and in general has been poo poo about it. We get random calls weeks early/late for techs arriving at our sites to install/upgrade readers, they dont send stuff out on time or pick up and remove the wrong machines, install the card readers on the wrong machines, and general gently caress ups.

Equitrac itself isnt too bad, if not a little convoluted in its setup. Although If I can figure out how to get it to stop telling me I have exceeded my user count (even after deleting all ex staff and system related accounts that dont need printing) I would be happy.

As with most things, its not necessarily the software or hardware thats at fault, its the support from the vendor when it doesnt work that makes or breaks it.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Management: "Aren't you done this project yet?"
Me: "You obviously don't understand what's involved to complete this successfully so it doesn't blow up in our face later. We want to make sure this time around it's better. Let me explain what is entailed..."
Management: "That sounds complicated, but I'm sure we can go back to how we had it before."

:shepicide:

Less frustrating because it wasn't management, but it reminded me.

I'm elbow-deep in a POS system, with my company polo shirt on. The employees' shirts are bright blue, mine is black. Someone leans over the counter and asks me if the lane is open. I tell him it isn't, because I'm fixing the register. "Oh. You should open it up, it's really busy."

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
The printers in the IT department are now so messed up that I have had to show my IT coworkers how to save to PDF on a USB drive and plug that into the printer to print from it. This is all thanks to someone trying to get PullPrint to work, and then going on vacation without it being done.

I'm sure it's fixable in very little time, but I don't want to touch the poop.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Laserface posted:

We use Equitrac.

Initially it was rolled out for head office only, and that took several weeks to get up and running (before I started here). that was due to the Card Reader not being compatible with our security passes and requiring a specific model, and the card reader requiring powered USB hubs because the Ricoh MFP couldnt supply enough power on the single USB port.

I'm now rolling it out nationally and it has taken 7+ months. The Vendor, despite all our previous issues and us reminding them of those issues, supplied us with the wrong card readers, no USB hubs, and in general has been poo poo about it. We get random calls weeks early/late for techs arriving at our sites to install/upgrade readers, they dont send stuff out on time or pick up and remove the wrong machines, install the card readers on the wrong machines, and general gently caress ups.

Equitrac itself isnt too bad, if not a little convoluted in its setup. Although If I can figure out how to get it to stop telling me I have exceeded my user count (even after deleting all ex staff and system related accounts that dont need printing) I would be happy.

As with most things, its not necessarily the software or hardware thats at fault, its the support from the vendor when it doesnt work that makes or breaks it.

I was really happy with Equitrac when it worked in our office. What's with the users? You might have to refresh the licensing page (yes really) in Equitrac Office to get it to stop bugging you.

And you should just sync it to AD, anyway. Tie it into your leaving process.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Jeoh posted:

I was really happy with Equitrac when it worked in our office. What's with the users? You might have to refresh the licensing page (yes really) in Equitrac Office to get it to stop bugging you.

And you should just sync it to AD, anyway. Tie it into your leaving process.

it is sycned to AD.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I'm elbow-deep in a POS system, with my company polo shirt on. The employees' shirts are bright blue, mine is black. Someone leans over the counter and asks me if the lane is open. I tell him it isn't, because I'm fixing the register. "Oh. You should open it up, it's really busy."

It's always a weird standoff when you're around dressed in no way like a store employee, but doing work. Half the time their response to "Oh I don't work here, I'm just fixing this" they'll glare at you for 5 seconds thinking you're trying to avoid them.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

evobatman posted:

I'm sure it's fixable in very little time, but I don't want to touch the poop.

Smart move.

"It worked perfectly when I left for vacation. It's your problem now!"

Also: Turns this years three weeks of summer was right on my vacation, and now we're back to mixed rain. Go me!

Baconroll
Feb 6, 2009
My Dad was telling me about a ticket he got in the late 1980s for a very old-school security issue - He worked for a software house in a very aggressive growing market and some contractors moving interior walls had come across some hardware that needed moving. Upon further investigation it was was a covert radio transmitter with multiple hardwired microphones going into the boardroom walls. All very high end kit and professionally installed.

They pretty much knew which company had done it as it was just them and 1 other company fighting in the market space. It all got hushed up at the time, so I'm guessing both sides were playing dirty tricks.

Running anti-virus just doesn't have the same James Bond feel as having someone walk around the office sweeping for bugs.

Baconroll fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

less than three posted:

It's always a weird standoff when you're around dressed in no way like a store employee, but doing work. Half the time their response to "Oh I don't work here, I'm just fixing this" they'll glare at you for 5 seconds thinking you're trying to avoid them.

Best response to that is more of "Oh I'm just the plumber, you'll want to talk to someone else"

• Locked thread