Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
even better, I'm in marketing for video games, not development

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

gas

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Beast of Bourbon posted:

like they're hte guys who put lights on their lifted f-350 and have police/fire scanners and answer them even though they have no connection other than they paid $50 to apply to be a firefighter and failed out so they get to join the 'volunteers'

I live a few blocks from a fire station, and the firefighters always get lunch at the same grocery store where I shop. They're always incredibly nice, including showing my kid all the different parts of the truck, ringing the bell and honking the horn for them. Today some of them stopped by my daycare's garage sale and were really nice.

The last time I was in NYC, some firefighters invited me and my kid onto their truck to show us the driver's cab.

Firefighters seem pretty chill to me.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
those are real firefighters

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
to be honest I'm not even sure what the argument is anymore. iv been drinking and I think a drone killed smokey the bear and the only solution is to arm firefighters and fireplanes with heavy weaponry

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

fire fighters are cool and good, hth

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Beast of Bourbon posted:

you've never been around a 20 year old volunteer firefighter who wears his full outfit minus the jacket everywhere and loudly announces he's a volunteer firefighter everywhere he goes to see if he can get a discount/girl's number.

uh actually i have

poseur rear end wears those green pants and yellow jacket and brags about fighting fires picking up girls though he's never been on a fire line

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
yeah! and they always park in the firelane

Bizarro Buddha
Feb 11, 2007

Beast of Bourbon posted:

even better, I'm in marketing for video games, not development

you are awful

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Beast of Bourbon posted:

I'm in marketing for video games

and you think firefighters are bad

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Shifty Pony posted:

during firefighting runs the aircraft are operating at the absolute limits of safe flight. even a cheap plastic quadcoper in the wrong spot is quite capable of damaging a control surface, a prop, or worst case being ingested by a turbine causing a flameout right when maximum power is needed.

yeah, i've seen Planes: Fire and Rescue too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

im not gonna bother to read the posts leading up to the one that tori got a week long probe for because lol at that one

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sniep posted:

imho that's a pretty lovely thing to do to run a real fire fireplace without a screen guard

especially with young children who might as much as just fall towards it tripping on something

not to mention it will burn 5,000 tiny holes in your carpet

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

what airport is this

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
some firefighters can be jerks sometimes but some idiot white person flying a loving camera drone around in a disaster area trying to get it to look over the firefighters shoulders is goddamn infuriating

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what airport is this

looks like heathrow

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

so the opposite of radical

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

uncurable mlady posted:

thankfully I live in a metropolitan area where we pay taxes to receive services rather than relying on billy bob and joe bob to put out a house fire

*forgets to pay $75 to firefighters*

*watches as they start toasting marshmallows after they extinguish neighbor's house*

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
feels like there ought to be a better way. like, I'm barely using my domestic water supply most of the day, maybe all we need is an app that lets people like me connect with people whose homes are burning down and private contractors who operate water-carrying drones

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

quote:

If a critical mass of enterprise software ads is gathered in one spot, does an airport spring into being around it?

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I feel like a hybrid cloud that works against my data centre would be more radical

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
there's ample evidence that placing multiple enterprise software ads directly opposite one another will generate and power a moving walkway

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

ultramiraculous posted:

there's ample evidence that placing multiple enterprise software ads directly opposite one another will generate and power a moving walkway

In a manner of speaking, they do.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what airport is this

literally all of them

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Hello All,
My name is Mohamed, and I am a jail guard!

After a year or so reading HN, I finally made an account! This place is overwhelmingly full of smart people, and I sometimes feel out of place! I have learned a great deal from all of you. With this said, I am embarking on a two year journey to apply to YC in FALL of 2017. I have given myself this arbitrary timeline to motivate myself.

You see, I am a total noob. I'm about to enroll in an online coding bootcamp. This is to grasp enough CS/coding experience so I can graduate from the proverbial 'I'm looking for a technical co-founder' dilemma, and to build the MVP on my own. What I become, for better or worse, is how I will attract the right people to tell my story and grow a company together. In the meantime, I am working on myself first and learning each day from all of you. I am excited to begin this marathon I call starting a startup.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

bassguitarhero posted:

a hybrid cloud that works against my data centre

a hybrid cloud that works against capitalism? ill take 2

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

death is certain

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

ultramiraculous posted:

bird strikes pretty often fatally damage the engines of md-87-sized planes like the ones in that article's video. you don't think the drones reportedly floating around/following the planes might be made of tougher stuff than a goose?

i bet a goose could kill a drone

the ca wildfire dept needs to train some geese to attack drones to keep airspace clear.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Syncopated posted:

im not gonna bother to read the posts leading up to the one that tori got a week long probe for because lol at that one

too bad too, lots of stuff happening in Pittsburgh tech bubble news I'm sure, with CMU Pre-College in full swing

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

triple sulk posted:

Hello All,
My name is Mohamed, and I am a jail guard!

After a year or so reading HN, I finally made an account! This place is overwhelmingly full of smart people, and I sometimes feel out of place! I have learned a great deal from all of you. With this said, I am embarking on a two year journey to apply to YC in FALL of 2017. I have given myself this arbitrary timeline to motivate myself.

You see, I am a total noob. I'm about to enroll in an online coding bootcamp. This is to grasp enough CS/coding experience so I can graduate from the proverbial 'I'm looking for a technical co-founder' dilemma, and to build the MVP on my own. What I become, for better or worse, is how I will attract the right people to tell my story and grow a company together. In the meantime, I am working on myself first and learning each day from all of you. I am excited to begin this marathon I call starting a startup.

this is actually a p good post for what it is, instead of "I have an idea, I need a technical co-founder, sign this NDA to learn more" he's actually giving himself two years to learn to code and to prototype his idea himself

we'd have less of a bubble and fewer poo poo companies if more people took his path

of course his idea is probably something like "Tinder, but with Bitcoin" because we just can't have nice things, can we?

uninterrupted
Jun 20, 2011

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

what airport is this

looks like reagan; i think the escalator is going from baggage claim and pick up to ticketing and gates

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the url has /uk/ in it

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

jetz0r posted:

the ca wildfire dept needs to train some geese to attack drones to keep airspace clear.

I can see this escalating and cannot wait for

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

jetz0r posted:

don't need to train them from my experience

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

this explains a lot about gatsby west egg / east egg

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
Its official i am now a professional booth babe for home improvement products. Give me your deets if you would like us to recon your property to build a quote on gutter protection and or a remote controlled awning. I wont see you at e3 or pax because i will be laying it on thick to your mom at the boston concert!

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

what the hell did marc andreeeeesen look like when he had hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

what the hell did marc andreeeeesen look like when he had hair

a troll doll

• Locked thread