Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

i bought atelier rorona but later found out there's an improved version of the game. how important are those improvements cause its like a 40 euro price difference between the two

It changes an almost unplayable game in to a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

"...And then there was Bitcoin."

Sakurazuka posted:

This. Basically the alchemy and combat mechanics have been enhanced to about what the third game in the series is like, as have the graphics. Plus you get a bunch of minor goodies. Rorona's alchemy was really bland, poorly explained and had a bad UI if I recall.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

poo poo. well, hope i can return it monday then

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

I saw your response before what you were quoting, and thought you were talking about the Dawn of Souls version of Final Fantasy 2.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No one would refer to that as good.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I thought the Dawn of Souls version was enjoyable. At least, if you're out to play at least one version of each main Final Fantasy, that's the version I'd tell you to go with.

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

"It's a giant steaming turd, but we sprayed it with some disinfectant and gold paint, so it's at least the optimal way to enjoy the turd."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Davincie posted:

i bought atelier rorona but later found out there's an improved version of the game. how important are those improvements cause its like a 40 euro price difference between the two
The original Atelier Rorona is kind of not very good

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i've done some more research after my stupid mistake and am i correct in assuming its better to go with the vita version since it works on a pstv and it actually has all of them

also its annoying that the arland trilogy pack doesn't include the plus version of rorona

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I've always been told that you should always get the Vita versions of Atelier games afaik, that's usually the final destination for all Atelier remakes and such

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

meh not really. the vita versions tend to just pack in some dlc for free, but have pretty crappy performance in exchange.

i think Ayesha Plus lets you change party members wherever which puts it ahead though

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
The performance on the vita versions really isn't that bad, you get maybe a half second of lag when you load up an area which I guess could be a deal breaker for some people? But otherwise they're fine.

I guess one thing to note that Meruru Plus at least (not sure on the other two) is a bit harder to 100% since they nerfed the most broken poo poo and buffed the bonus bosses too.

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

Cake Attack posted:

meh not really. the vita versions tend to just pack in some dlc for free, but have pretty crappy performance in exchange.

i think Ayesha Plus lets you change party members wherever which puts it ahead though

You have to fill out a certain portion of the album first, which requires some really simple conditions you can meet about 1/3 of the way through the game. It actually saves you in game days too since you must travel to unique locations to recruit (except on bazaar days).

For Rorona make sure you do friend requests for Gio ASAP when they unlock.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

What was Uematsu on when he came up with the music for the Gargant tunnels? It's not the worst thing I've heard from a video game, but listening to that song for too long still makes me sick.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Codiekitty posted:

What was Uematsu on when he came up with the music for the Gargant tunnels? It's not the worst thing I've heard from a video game, but listening to that song for too long still makes me sick.

i thought you were going to link this tbh.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Roobanguy posted:

i thought you were going to link this tbh.

At least that's funny bad. That Yoshi's New Island's song is "jam a Q-tip in my ear" bad. And Gargan Roo is "I get urpy listening to it" bad.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Hey it's time to dungeon crawl for the next 30 minutes, I hope the bgm is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4x4c0AvsBY

gently caress

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Ah, it is time for me to post this again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRsGaJ39dfs

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So what, are we all just posting lovely game music now? Fair enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jRah05wYjs

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

Tonfa posted:

Hey it's time to dungeon crawl for the next 30 minutes, I hope the bgm is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4x4c0AvsBY

gently caress

This is the only one anyone's linked that I disliked. Not sure how to feel about this.

How does everyone feel about drakengard music? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZcNsaa-98

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

MrAptronym posted:

How does everyone feel about drakengard music? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnZcNsaa-98

It fits the game it's in perfectly.

Also NieR has the best soundtrack in any video game literally ever so that makes up for it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Hahaha what the gently caress, is this some other track from the same game on 200% speed or something

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

I am enjoying this RPG music discussion, it has convinced me to go get Evergrace, which I had never heard of.

Here, have a rather contentious song (I think it is ironically great): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEUOOgNzOv4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Someone shove a stick in his mouth, I think guitar guy is having a stroke :ohdear:.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

MrAptronym posted:

How does everyone feel about drakengard music?

It is no-poo poo one of my favorite OSTs of all time. Full disclosure, however: I really, really liked Evergrace, so that probably sums up a lot of where I'm coming from here.

MrAptronym
Jan 4, 2007

DARKSEID DICK PICS posted:

It is no-poo poo one of my favorite OSTs of all time. Full disclosure, however: I really, really liked Evergrace, so that probably sums up a lot of where I'm coming from here.

I seriously enjoyed that Evergrace song. I need to checkout From Software's old library. I think I only played their Armored Core games back in the day.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Evergrace basically feels like a weird alternate-universe Secret of Mana to me. Go in thinking of it that way and it'll probably go down better.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

MrAptronym posted:

I seriously enjoyed that Evergrace song. I need to checkout From Software's old library. I think I only played their Armored Core games back in the day.

Only tangentially related, but to break from bad music I felt compelled to post good music from Armored Core.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNOcqbXHZFw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Alundra may not be the longest zelda game ever made but it sure feels like it

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

One of the characters in Evergrace starts off wearing a cooking pot on her head and a games where you see the gear equipped.:tinfoil:

MrAptronym posted:

it has convinced me to go get Evergrace, which I had never heard of.
What about Eternal Ring?

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Whoops wrong thread

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

SelenicMartian posted:

One of the characters in Evergrace starts off wearing a cooking pot on her head and a games where you see the gear equipped.:tinfoil:

What about Eternal Ring?

Eternal Ring is a good game and honestly King's Field 4 was a major step backwards from it in a lot of ways.

Evergrace, on the other hand, is one of the first of many missteps on the way to Demons' Souls from there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CV7p48af-yw

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's amazing that From Software made both Dark Souls and Enchanted Arms

and Ninja Blade

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is it really surprising that a company would...

make three bad games :twisted:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

:eyepop:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Alundra may not be the longest zelda game ever made but it sure feels like it

It doesn't help that every boss takes about an hour to kill.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

It doesn't help that every boss takes about an hour to kill.
You aren't fuckin kiddin

Especially if you run out of healing items and have to play it safe, ugh

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I think it was one of those games that Working Designs hosed around with an doubled all the boss health to make it harder.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cake Attack posted:

:nyd:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

They also Working Designsed the hosed out of the dialogue so there's grassy knoll jokes and a surfer character