Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Rorus Raz posted:

I hear you're taking your false equivalencies black these days.

Panel 3 is such horseshit and insanely racist. "Deprive people of the right to choose whether to own slaves or not" is so unbelievably dismissive of the autonomy of black people that it blows my mind. Black people are not helplessly mute and unable to communicate their desires like fetuses, you insane motherfucker.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

I dunno, if an island is teeming with poisonous snakes, I'd like to at least have it labeled as such. Sure, they probably only attack out of being stepped on or otherwise provoked, but that's still not very good odds of getting off that island without punctures.

I'm not saying we shouldn't label those kinds of things but we should be critical of how we label them.

Edit:
VVVVVVVVV

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 19, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Basically movies like that created the idea that sharks are predators and we are the prey, when the actual situation is so opposite to that it's mind-boggling.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Flectarn posted:

why is the thread that has made serveral thousand posts analyzing a mentally ill man's personal jack off material so scared of derails?
Because, as you have shown, if we derail long enough we become aware of that. :smith:

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

What's the name of the guy who does the oatmeal knock offs? I think of all the cartoons posted itt, I hate those the most. At least the other cartoonists are upfront about being assholes.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!
Adam Ford.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

Around Lamnidae, don't go on holiday

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BattleHork posted:

BOO!

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

BattleHork posted:

Around sharks, don't go on larks

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

The only sane outlook on abortion is that it's one of the most loving awful things in this entire planet, in a perfect world no one should have abortions, and yet this is far from a perfect world and people do and will. So that's why it's important that it be legal and safely regulated. I mean, if the NRA of all groups has taught me anything, banning something won't necessarily stop it!

I think people can generally get behind pregnancy prevention > abortion > infanticide even if they morally place them at different points. But the abortions that really bother people, the late-stage, questions-of-viability-ones, actual fetus ones are going to be with us much longer than the more acceptable clump-of-cells ones.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Taciturn Tactician posted:

Panel 3 is such horseshit and insanely racist. "Deprive people of the right to choose whether to own slaves or not" is so unbelievably dismissive of the autonomy of black people that it blows my mind. Black people are not helplessly mute and unable to communicate their desires like fetuses, you insane motherfucker.

the person making that argument in the comic lived in the early 19th century, presumably in the south. back then even the abolitionists were racists as gently caress. The argument presented by the girl is at least 100 years ahead of her time.

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Magrov posted:

the person making that argument in the comic lived in the early 19th century, presumably in the south. back then even the abolitionists were racists as gently caress. The argument presented by the girl is at least 100 years ahead of her time.

You're giving the author way too much credit. I don't think they were after historically accurate representation of American abolitionism.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Not So Fast posted:

His point is that in a perfect world, no-one would need to make that choice.

People doesn't get an abortion just because they are poor or because they were raped.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Alhazred posted:

People doesn't get an abortion just because they are poor or because they were raped.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have unwanted pregnancies.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Rorus Raz posted:

I hear you're taking your false equivalencies black these days.

Doesn't this guy's favorite book say slavery is cool and good? I'm confused

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy gently caress, really guys? "OF COURSE abortion is totally wrong and bad but we NEED THEM" is the starter argument that pro-lifers use to wear down public support of abortion. It's some third way DLC Clintonian bullshit. This is insanely obvious. You are basically conceding the point to them and agreeing to debate on their grounds. It's a microcosm of every rhetorical mistake liberals have made over the past forty years.

Abortions are loving awesome. They are a simple medical procedure that prevents unwanted births. We can do them in ways that are safe and easy. This prevents so, so, so much suffering in the world. End of story.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb

Taciturn Tactician posted:

It's reminiscent of anytime PETA does one of their Factory Farming = The Holocaust advertisements and seem genuinely shocked that people are outraged.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

loquacius posted:

As long as there's already a big :can: derail going on I might as well add that "oh man I hope we have another big economic collapse, that would be just the best :allears:" is p much the most D&D thing I have ever heard

tbf the dude who said that is a known retard

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Mellow Seas posted:

Holy gently caress, really guys? "OF COURSE abortion is totally wrong and bad but we NEED THEM" is the starter argument that pro-lifers use to wear down public support of abortion. It's some third way DLC Clintonian bullshit. This is insanely obvious. You are basically conceding the point to them and agreeing to debate on their grounds. It's a microcosm of every rhetorical mistake liberals have made over the past forty years.

Abortions are loving awesome. They are a simple medical procedure that prevents unwanted births. We can do them in ways that are safe and easy. This prevents so, so, so much suffering in the world. End of story.

Thank you.

Somehow I'm not surprised a bunch of nerdy dudes started in with that poo poo.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

My favorite thing about the Adam Ford "throw yourself down the stairs" comic is that he literally could not conceive of the existence of gay black people. He's literally like a 15-year-old getting mad about SJWs or w/e because they don't understand that a person can be "multiple minorities"

e: abortion is cool because life doesn't begin at conception, hth

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Kajeesus posted:

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have unwanted pregnancies.

There's not a single prevention method that is one hundred percent effective, even (surprisingly enough) women who undergoes sterilisation can get pregnant. Also:

Mellow Seas posted:

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
Oh no guys someone said a thing that was not perfectly ideologically correct in this thread, despite agreeing with the Correct View in the practicalities! :ohdear: Let's spend pages ripping it apart!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
e: ^^^^^ You're only saying that because you obviously don't give much of a poo poo about the issue. If it was something you actually cared about you wouldn't be happy to see people on "your side" throwing around lovely, self-defeating arguments.

Obviously we should do everything we can to promote use of birth control, but birth control is only preferable to abortion in the same way that eating well and exercising are preferable to gastric bypass. There's no moral distinction, only cost and convenience.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Quorum posted:

Oh no guys someone said a thing that was not perfectly ideologically correct in this thread, despite agreeing with the Correct View in the practicalities! :ohdear: Let's spend pages ripping it apart!

Hello welcome to D&D.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hello welcome to D&D.

:iamafag:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

If you think an abortion is a no big deal and a super chill experience then you are the one who is out of touch. Getting an abortion sucks for the mother. That doesn't mean it's not an overall good thing to prevent the birth of a baby that someone isn't ready for, but it's loving idiotic to call abortions "awesome" and "simple and easy."

I'm not sure but my reading of the post that started this derail was "abortions suck, but they're overall a good thing to have and a useful tool (and they're not morally wrong)." Which I think is pretty accurate. Nobody is excited about having an abortion.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Groundhorse, a classic but still dank meme.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Mellow Seas posted:

e: ^^^^^ You're only saying that because you obviously don't give much of a poo poo about the issue. If it was something you actually cared about you wouldn't be happy to see people on "your side" throwing around lovely, self-defeating arguments.

No its a perfectly accurate criticism, your complaints are grounded in social signalling that you are better rather than an actual disagreement on the topic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hello welcome to D&D.

Welcome to the political left

(not that the right doesn't do it too, see: the Tea Party)

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Keep forming that circular firing squad, guys

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

alnilam posted:

If you think an abortion is a no big deal and a super chill experience then you are the one who is out of touch. Getting an abortion sucks for the mother. That doesn't mean it's not an overall good thing to prevent the birth of a baby that someone isn't ready for, but it's loving idiotic to call abortions "awesome" and "simple and easy."

I'm not sure but my reading of the post that started this derail was "abortions suck, but they're overall a good thing to have and a useful tool (and they're not morally wrong)." Which I think is pretty accurate. Nobody is excited about having an abortion.

No, he specifically said it was "one of the worst things on the planet"

Which is loving ridiculous and stupid and as someone who had to have an abortion at a very young age, the stuff that lead to me needing that abortion was several hundred orders of magnitude worse than the abortion itself.

So all y'all fuckin nerd dudes can go gently caress yourselves, abortions are good and necessary and nothing like the loving NRA.

And gently caress all you "lel circular firing squad" retards too.

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

alnilam posted:

they're good and cool you hand-wringing wimp

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fried Chicken posted:

No its a perfectly accurate criticism, your complaints are grounded in social signalling that you are better rather than an actual disagreement on the topic

I think the topic is "is abortion bad" and I think JT Jag and I clearly disagree on that. This topic quite clearly bears a strong influence on the topic of "should abortion be legal", even if it is not exactly the same topic.

Listen, public support for abortion, especially among the young, has been declining for years. But by all means, let's continue using 1995's rhetoric, I'm sure it'll work out great if we give it enough time.

e: I'm also sure that years of hearing "ABORTION IS BAD", even from allies, has no influence on how young women feel about their abortions.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 19, 2015

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I think everyone should get mandatory abortions.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

There's not a single prevention method that is one hundred percent effective, even (surprisingly enough) women who undergoes sterilisation can get pregnant. Also:

Ha. People who get their tubes tied have a remote possibility of getting pregnant. No ones gets pregnant after a hysterectomy. Stopping fertility is easy, delaying it until a person is ready for it is hard. Rhetorically, I'd be happier if the people who were generally uncomfortable with the idea of abortion even as they support it would push harder for access to birth control. Forced-birthers are always going to drag the issue into the most morally questionable, downer of a scenario so it's best just to dodge that bullshit immediately and go straight to the wonders of preventing pregnancy to begin with.

alnilam posted:

If you think an abortion is a no big deal and a super chill experience then you are the one who is out of touch. Getting an abortion sucks for the mother.

Oh, gently caress no. Abortion doesn't suck for the mother. It's far, far safer than pregnancy, and there are no psychological aftereffects. Chemical abortions are basically a heavy period; you might have some bad cramps but plenty of people endure that for regular periods. For surgical abortions, safest surgical procedure there is, you're under a local anesthesia and you don't feel a thing. And again, psychological aftereffects, the whole post-abortion-syndrome, is absolute horseshit. It doesn't exit, no reputable medical or psychological organization recognizes it after numerous studies on the subject. You want to get your pants in a twist over the idea of people killing their babies with ease, then do so, but don't invent the idea that is must have been a hard choice and really difficult to do because you don't like the idea of thinking 1 in 3 uterus-bearers are monsters.

there wolf fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 19, 2015

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Mellow Seas posted:

I think the topic is "is abortion bad" and I think JT Jag and I clearly disagree on that. This topic quite clearly bears a strong influence on the topic of "should abortion be legal", even if it is not exactly the same topic.

Listen, public support for abortion, especially among the young, has been declining for years. But by all means, let's continue using 1995's rhetoric, I'm sure it'll work out great if we give it enough time.

e: I'm also sure that years of hearing "ABORTION IS BAD", even from allies, has no influence on how young women feel about their abortions.

To use your own example of gastric bypasses: It's great that gastric bypasses exist, and anyone who needs one should have easy and immediate access to one. But they're still really tough to go through for multiple reasons, and in a perfect world nobody would ever need one. In a way, yes, gastric bypasses are "bad" in that I'm really glad I've never had one and hope to continue this streak as long as possible. I don't really think that's necessarily a coded argument that gastric bypass should be illegal or stigmatized.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

TheBigAristotle posted:

Doesn't this guy's favorite book say slavery is cool and good? I'm confused

Concern trolling doesn't require you to believe in anything.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
In a perfect world there wouldn't be poo poo posters yelling about a false dichotomy I'm a hypothetical situation to score ideology points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

loquacius posted:

Welcome to the political left

(not that the right doesn't do it too, see: the Tea Party)

Horseshoe theory.

• Locked thread