Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Poach the chicken. I did this just yesterday: went to the farmers market and picked up a load of vegetables that looked nice and a chicken. Fry onions, leeks, garlic, add chicken and cover with water (or stock if you've got it) and a bit of white wine. Poach for about an hour and a half, adding veg and herbs at appropriate stages. When it's done, shred any chicken that's still in one piece, fishing out any bones.

Eat with really crusty bread, decent butter and mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Squashy Nipples posted:

You should have picked it sooner.

i just picked a smaller one, sliced it into thin slices, mixed it up with olive oil, salt, pepper and paprika. Now its in the oven cooking at 225 for a few hours to make zucchini chips.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Scientastic posted:

Poach the chicken. I did this just yesterday: went to the farmers market and picked up a load of vegetables that looked nice and a chicken. Fry onions, leeks, garlic, add chicken and cover with water (or stock if you've got it) and a bit of white wine. Poach for about an hour and a half, adding veg and herbs at appropriate stages. When it's done, shred any chicken that's still in one piece, fishing out any bones.

Eat with really crusty bread, decent butter and mustard.

Poaching's a really nice change from roasting.

Couple of excellent chicken recipes I've made recently.

Jamie Oliver's Chicken in Milk. It's delicious.

Chicken Adobo (this is April Bloomfield's version.) Again, delicious.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I love chicken adobo. Thanks for reminding me about it so I can go make it later tonight :)

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone explain to me why a diet would restrict someone from consuming vinegar? Health reasons, nutritional reasons, weird homeopathy?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Can anyone explain to me why a diet would restrict someone from consuming vinegar? Health reasons, nutritional reasons, weird homeopathy?

Dunno for this particular person but severe GERD, ulcers, other stomach acid problems.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Lawnie posted:

the internet also tells us that it is not permitted in the paleo diet, amongst others.

So, we need some background, because this is either a person with a legitimate reason to not consume vinegar,
or a person that is not fit to breath the same air as normal people.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

paraquat posted:

the internet also tells us that it is not permitted in the paleo diet, amongst others.

So, we need some background, because this is either a person with a legitimate reason to not consume vinegar,
or a person that is not fit to breath the same air as normal people.

Oh, who gives a poo poo? The diet is not hard to cook for, let people do whatever they want.

After cooking forever and dealing with ridiculous diets and food restrictions, I could just not possibly care less anymore and will make anyone something that conforms to their hilarious diet as long as they tell me in advance.

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

paraquat posted:

I used to never use my freezer for anything other than frozen food I bought, either,

But it's actually been one of the best "kitchen discoveries" when I started using my freezer more.

One small advice: try to mark everything you stuff in there with a name and a date.
(I usually just throw a post-it note on it, because I'm too lazy to buy stickers)
Anyway: this helps you to recognise the contents of your fridge and keep track of edibility
(I don't think anything goes bad, but I don't like the idea of not knowing when something went in there)
dating frozen stuff may work at home, but one HUGE drawback to dating stuff in the freezer is that if the date isnt removed when its defrosting it quickly looks like 2 month old stock and often ends up rotated out before the actual old stuff.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

twotimer posted:

dating frozen stuff may work at home, but one HUGE drawback to dating stuff in the freezer is that if the date isnt removed when its defrosting it quickly looks like 2 month old stock and often ends up rotated out before the actual old stuff.

I think my brain is fried (long day) but what do you mean exactly? Why does leaving the date on it make it look 2 months old?

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
Because it would still have the date it was frozen. The simple solution is to relabel it when it's pulled, or append the label with a pull date.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I haven't bought russet potatoes in years because, well they are stupid and I hate them. I don't know if I was drunk or what but I ended up buying a bag of them at the store and I'm trying to eat them.

Normally I buy yukon golds or fingerlings or baby reds. I did my usual 'slice up 1/4" and mix with keilbasa and bake for 45 minutes' and they came out all dry and weird.

Am I stuck with boiling/mashing or baking these fuckers?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

I haven't bought russet potatoes in years because, well they are stupid and I hate them. I don't know if I was drunk or what but I ended up buying a bag of them at the store and I'm trying to eat them.

Normally I buy yukon golds or fingerlings or baby reds. I did my usual 'slice up 1/4" and mix with keilbasa and bake for 45 minutes' and they came out all dry and weird.

You should try french cutting them followed by a two part fry.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

If you want to do other things with them than baking them or mashing them, and are kinda picky about things, you need to still boil them for a bit to get them softened and ready to go. For your problem you mentioned, I'd still put them in cold water and bring it up to a slow boil for a few minutes before taking them out and doing whatever you were going to do with them. They should still be firm and stuff, though.

I'm not sure what else is in that recipe of yours, but you may consider adding some liquid to it, cream or even a little water, while it's cooking. And also some sliced hard boiled eggs, all three layered like lasagna. And then some paprika, sliced onions mixed in as well, with some breadcrumbs on top of it all. :unsmigghh:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 20, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Does anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe? Without nuts preferred. I needed just two carrots for a recipe and now I have almost a pound to do something with.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Grate coarsely, press between paper towels to remove excess moisture. Mix in minced tomato, onion, jalapeno, and a bit of shredded cheese. Fry, preferably on a wide, flat electric skillet if you have one. Plop an over easy egg on top, drizzle with hot sauce, enjoy the best breakfast north of the Mexican border.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

CzarChasm posted:

Does anyone have a good Carrot Cake recipe? Without nuts preferred. I needed just two carrots for a recipe and now I have almost a pound to do something with.

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2008/12/carrot-cake-with-maple-cream-cheese-frosting/
That's delicious. I made the mistake of letting the plain cake sit out for a few hours after it was baked and that made it a bit dry. Don't do that.

Try adding some coconut flakes instead of the nuts. Good stuff there.

The true winner here though is that maple cream cheese frosting. :allears:

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

I'm going to start exploring Thai cooking and I need to stock up on some ingredients. I plan to grab some curry pastes and fish sauce today - are there any brands I should look for or specifically avoid?

twotimer
Jul 19, 2013

The Ferret King posted:

I think my brain is fried (long day) but what do you mean exactly? Why does leaving the date on it make it look 2 months old?

exactly what ted said below you.
if you write 'july 17' on something, throw it in the freezer, then someone pulls it out 3 weeks later and leaves that date on it, other people are going to see it in the coolroom and think its three-week-old stock.
and the sad reality is that most people will leave the old date on!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm going to start exploring Thai cooking and I need to stock up on some ingredients. I plan to grab some curry pastes and fish sauce today - are there any brands I should look for or specifically avoid?
Mae Ploy and Cock are good for curry pastes. Lobo isn't super great in my book.

Fish sauce, Tiparos is pretty good, and I've heard good things about Squid.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I use mae ploy for curry paste and tiparos for fish sauce

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Maesri makes good curry paste too. Avoid Thai Kitchen, IMO. Maybe I've just had bad luck or something but I'm never buying that stuff again

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Herr Tog posted:

Where is the best place online or in person in the US to buy random Torani syrup flavors? The Torani website doesn't seem like a piece of poo poo but I am just wondering since I want like 6 bottles of weird ones.

In person, I've seen a ton of flavors at the large booze stores such as Total Wine or Bevmo if you happen to be around either of those.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Number 1 Sexy Dad posted:

Maesri makes good curry paste too. Avoid Thai Kitchen, IMO. Maybe I've just had bad luck or something but I'm never buying that stuff again

I just used Thai Kitchen red yesterday actually. I don't think it's bad, but I haven't tried any others.

I sauteed some onions, ginger and garlic in ghee, threw in a bunch of sliced chicken thigh, half a little jar of Thai Kitchen red curry paste, natural peanut butter, 3 fresh limes juice, vietnamese 3 crab fish sauce, coconut milk, cilantro and fresh thai red chilis. Tasted OK to me.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
I got hold of some sodium citrate and tried my hand at modernist mac and cheese, with fairly lacklustre results. It ended up tasting pretty good, but is didn't emulsify at all really, and was mostly a thin cheesy soup. What did I most likely do wrong? Added too much of the cheese too fast?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Tiparos is good for a fish sauce that shows up in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of a lot of grocery stores. Red Boat is better, but isn't carried in as many places. I also like Three Crabs, but it's pretty divisive.

DekeThornton posted:

I got hold of some sodium citrate and tried my hand at modernist mac and cheese, with fairly lacklustre results. It ended up tasting pretty good, but is didn't emulsify at all really, and was mostly a thin cheesy soup. What did I most likely do wrong? Added too much of the cheese too fast?
If it's too thin you just want to add more cheese and/or keep warming it to evaporate off more water. If you add a shitload of cheese and it starts getting lumpy, just heat it some more---it'll smooth out, and if it ends up too thick you can add water, a small splash at a time, until it thins out to where you want it. You can thicken and thin out a sauce like this a fair amount before you have to worry about adjusting the amount of citrate. It's really loving forgiving, so if it doesn't look the way you want it, never feel shy about just adding more cheese or water.

And as a technical quibble, sodium citrate isn't an emulsifier. It's a chelating agent. Nobody will ever care if you know the difference.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
So I'm wanting to make a honey and thai chili roasted eggplant dish, but I can't figure out what to serve with it to make a complete dinner. I'm just drawing a total blank.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

SubG posted:

If it's too thin you just want to add more cheese and/or keep warming it to evaporate off more water. If you add a shitload of cheese and it starts getting lumpy, just heat it some more---it'll smooth out, and if it ends up too thick you can add water, a small splash at a time, until it thins out to where you want it. You can thicken and thin out a sauce like this a fair amount before you have to worry about adjusting the amount of citrate. It's really loving forgiving, so if it doesn't look the way you want it, never feel shy about just adding more cheese or water.

And as a technical quibble, sodium citrate isn't an emulsifier. It's a chelating agent. Nobody will ever care if you know the difference.

Thanks, I guess I was just too impatient when it didn't thicken up nicely straight away. At leat it tasted good. Next attempt will hopefully go better.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Nobody will ever care if you know the difference.

Except for SubG. He cares. He cares a lot.

DekeThornton posted:

Thanks, I guess I was just too impatient when it didn't thicken up nicely straight away. At leat it tasted good. Next attempt will hopefully go better.

I think maybe you didn't get it hot enough to melt it all. You can't break this stuff, you can boil if you want.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Supposing I wanted to make a foccaccia bread recipe that called for 2.75c flour and didn't have any actual bread flour, only cornmeal, buckwheat, brown rice, and almond flour (I know), which among those would you use first?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Supposing I wanted to make a foccaccia bread recipe that called for 2.75c flour and didn't have any actual bread flour, only cornmeal, buckwheat, brown rice, and almond flour (I know), which among those would you use first?

edit: misread.

I'd make cornbread.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

DekeThornton posted:

If you're impatient just add more cheese and wait the couple seconds it'll take for everything to reach a uniform heat. I wouldn't bother cooking off water to thicken a sodium citrate cheese sauce unless I was out of cheese or something, just because it's way more of a pain in the rear end.

Seriously, don't worry about loving with the proportions. When I first got sodium citrate I'd measure everything out like it was a science experiment, but now I just eyeball everything because it's so loving forgiving.

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

So I'm wanting to make a honey and thai chili roasted eggplant dish, but I can't figure out what to serve with it to make a complete dinner. I'm just drawing a total blank.
What to serve with it in the sense of what else to throw in with the eggplant, or in the sense that the answer is `put over rice in a bowl'?

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Thanks guys. It's good to know it's not as exacting as that Modernist Cuisine recipe makes it sound like. I measured everything down to the exact gram, so I was a bit disenheartened when it didn't turned out as I hoped.

A mixture of an aged Swedish priest cheese and aged cheddar was a good base though, flavour wise. I'll stick to that part for my second attempt.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

SubG posted:

What to serve with it in the sense of what else to throw in with the eggplant, or in the sense that the answer is `put over rice in a bowl'?

The later one. I was kind of hoping for a suggestion of something along the lines of another veg dish or some protein on the side.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Do white wine, truffle salt and oysters belong together

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Do white wine, truffle salt and oysters belong together

That's gonna be a rough enema, man. :shrug:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

WanderingMinstrel I posted:

The later one. I was kind of hoping for a suggestion of something along the lines of another veg dish or some protein on the side.

if you're not a vegetarian, I'd definitely serve that with a nice pork chop

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubG posted:

Tiparos is good for a fish sauce that shows up in the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of a lot of grocery stores.
I envy your grocery stores. Over here the "fish sauce" that shows up in that aisle consists of water, sugar, salt, vinegar and 15% fish stock. It's somewhere between an embarrassment, an insult and straight up fraud.

You don't even want to know what's in the curry pastes.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My Lovely Horse posted:

My normal grocery store had nothing but garbage, but after a trip to the local Vietnamese market I got a few tubs of Mae Ploy, a giant bottle of Squid fish sauce, and a $2 clump of basil the size of my head. Made a really basic yellow chicken curry last night and it was very easy and tasted pretty good - definitely going into our weeknight rotation.

Does anyone have some good online resources for Thai recipes? I found http://www.templeofthai.com to have some good basic recipes, but I was wondering if people know of other websites to look at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Except for SubG. He cares. He cares a lot.

I'm glad I know the difference now. :shrug:

DekeThornton posted:

Thanks guys. It's good to know it's not as exacting as that Modernist Cuisine recipe makes it sound like. I measured everything down to the exact gram, so I was a bit disenheartened when it didn't turned out as I hoped.

I'm fairly new to it too, but like SubG said, super forgiving. Just play around with it.