Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Invisible Ted posted:

Any strategies for the lunatic cultist? I've got full beetle armor, and no matter what I do I feel like I just can't loving hit him, he kills me by the time I get him one quarter of the way down.

Equip a Possesed Hatchet, hold left mouse button, win. An ichor or cursed flask helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really recommend just making a big farming area down in the caverns if you are having bad luck with lost girls. Find some mostly open area and hollow it out, then throw in a bunch of platforms with water candles on them. Chug a battle potion and run back and forth killing poo poo until a nymph spawns. It honestly doesn't take as long as you'd think to setup, relative to how much time you'd waste trying to find random nymphs that could easily despawn on you at any rate.

YF-23 posted:

You get plenty from killing granite enemies, and that alone makes it perfectly renewable too. I wish marble could be gathered similarly without having to mine it and destroy the biomes in the process. :(

With how huge the underground is I'm not sure why you'd ever be worried about marble not being renewable. I mean even if you did somehow run out you could just go to another world and get some marble from there. I'd consider destroying any place medusa can spawn in too be a plus honestly.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Invisible Ted posted:

Any strategies for the lunatic cultist? I've got full beetle armor, and no matter what I do I feel like I just can't loving hit him, he kills me by the time I get him one quarter of the way down.

How are you unable to hit him? He spends most of his time completely still while casting spells.

I guess the whole "flying" thing could be a problem if you used melee weapons other than yoyos, but why would you do that?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I started a new Expert world/new character playthrough yesterday. I got to Eye of Cthulhu today and it ended up kicking my poo poo in. Then I fished a Falcon Blade, got a Crimson Rod, made a full set of Meteorite armour+Space Gun, and got Eye of Cthulhu in the middle of a slime rain and kicked his poo poo in, unexpectedly getting helped by taking invincibility frames from getting hit by slimes for 1 damage. Then after killing the Eye King Slime appeared too and I kicked his poo poo in as well. Such a perfectly timed clusterfuck.

e; And I just got the world's first goblin invasion right after. Christ.

Internet Kraken posted:

With how huge the underground is I'm not sure why you'd ever be worried about marble not being renewable. I mean even if you did somehow run out you could just go to another world and get some marble from there. I'd consider destroying any place medusa can spawn in too be a plus honestly.

It's a bit of an OCD I guess. I just don't particularly like destroying biomes, even if they only contain annoying enemies.

YF-23 fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2015

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

LightningSquid posted:

Why do I insist on making big bases before I start hardmode? :smithicide:

How do you talk to your npcs and did you have to lure them there or is there an item that let's you pick them up and place them?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Invisible Ted posted:

Just stay in the dungeon entrance. Maybe it's tied to exactly how large your entrance happens to be, but for me, he floats up so he's halfway into the ceiling, which leaves him still hittable, but half or so of his attacks whiff against the ceiling. Doesn't really seem to move.

Mina
Dec 14, 2005

HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK HONK

Holyshoot posted:

How do you talk to your npcs and did you have to lure them there or is there an item that let's you pick them up and place them?

The King and Queen statues will teleport a random npc of the same sex to it when wired up. They also tend to teleport to their houses at times when they can't path there, though I'm not sure exactly what causes that.

For talking to them, grappling the ceiling below them is how I do it, but you can reduce the lower hallway's height a block or two and you'll be able to reach them from just standing below.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Krittick posted:

The King and Queen statues will teleport a random npc of the same sex to it when wired up. They also tend to teleport to their houses at times when they can't path there, though I'm not sure exactly what causes that.

For talking to them, grappling the ceiling below them is how I do it, but you can reduce the lower hallway's height a block or two and you'll be able to reach them from just standing below.

Generally if you get them and their house offscreen at night they'll port to their houses.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Seditiar posted:

Goddamn, Moon Lord is easy with 114 def, regen poo poo and a wall around you.

He's also easy with just 114 defense if you can kite and dodge

I've wanted to try building a box and seeing just how many of his attacks it can block

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zodack posted:

I've wanted to try building a box and seeing just how many of his attacks it can block

The giant laser and the... explosive bullet thingy.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Zodack posted:

Well yeah, but that requires dodging. Now I can just stand in one spot, hold my left mouse button and destroy him. :v:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Seditiar posted:

Well yeah, but that requires dodging. Now I can just stand in one spot, hold my left mouse button and destroy him. :v:

Enjoyable gaming at its finest
Now do it on expert and get your sweet light pet

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

Evil Fluffy posted:

Kill (underground) ice enemies for an amarok yoyo and find the skeleton merchant to buy a yoyo glove+counterweight and make the yoyo bag. Then go kill a hallow mimic for the bow drop (i guess) and you're set on weapons for the mech bosses.

the yo-yo will drop from surface enemies too. source: ice golem farming

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Zodack posted:

Enjoyable gaming at its finest
Now do it on expert and get your sweet light pet

I'm doing Expert on another character, if I wanted to try hard I'd switch to that, instead of doing it on normal even though it's not needed.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my hardmode world's spawn point is in an ice biome and after farming eclipses/pirates/martians for everything that can drop i ended up with enough amaroks to fill a few chests

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

The moment I saw this world's origin was right next to a double cave entrance I knew where I was making my base - even if it's too close to the origin for comfort and even though I knew building it up would mean I'd have to move elsewhere or end up completely destroying the geography to make it work for the final amount of NPCs if I decide I want them all in one place. And even if it means spending too dang long to move the game forward since I still haven't actually fought Brain of Cthulhu but dammit I wanted to make this happen at least as a provisional base and also because I much prefered to take a somewhat slower pace instead of trying to burn through the game progression.

The older all-wood structures are kinda poo poo and don't mesh that well but I'm proud of those smokestacks and the viewport in the Angler's room.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

YF-23 posted:

even if it's too close to the origin for comfort and even though I knew building it up would mean I'd have to move elsewhere or end up completely destroying the geography to make it work for the final amount of NPCs if I decide I want them all in one place.

Could you inform my ignorant self why building close to the origin is bad? Does the original spawn telefrag parts of the building away if you die without a bed spawn/you use it for multiplayer? As for having to move out, would bolting on the 20ish rooms total for NPC houseing just be too bulky for what you are going for?

It does look pretty nice though. I am a sucker for cool cabins in these games.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Section Z posted:

Could you inform my ignorant self why building close to the origin is bad? Does the original spawn telefrag parts of the building away if you die without a bed spawn/you use it for multiplayer? As for having to move out, would bolting on the 20ish rooms total for NPC houseing just be too bulky for what you are going for?

The origin point is where pirate/goblin invasions congregate, so if your base is right there and you don't take steps to keep your NPC areas invasionproof then every time one of those invasions comes in your NPCs will get murdered.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

President Ark posted:

The origin point is where pirate/goblin invasions congregate, so if your base is right there and you don't take steps to keep your NPC areas invasionproof then every time one of those invasions comes in your NPCs will get murdered.

you say that like it's a bad thing

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

President Ark posted:

Huh, go figure. I'm assuming this is more for if they show up while you are away from home, so you don't have a ton of goblins waiting for you once you reach the middle. Does this mean they'd just keep walking past your house if it was farther to the side while you were not around? I thought I read they spawned from world edge and traveled towards the middle.

I'm messing about in a small world so Spawn area is my best "natural default" biome choice. The second "largest" ones are off to the right between the desert and jungle. And a bit between two corruptions on the left. Then again at least I'm trying to build my series of wood and stone brick rectangles far enough off the ground you can't single jump into it.

I can see the appeal of housing farther to the side on a larger world, makes you closer to an ocean and your preference of the jungle or the dungeon. Instead of wanting to punch yourself for thinking about going from one end to the other without a mine cart track. I did luck out with a blizzard in a bottle and flurry boots though, which helps even on a small world.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
I thought they changed it so that invasions target clusters of NPCs not just the original spawn?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Section Z posted:

Others mentioned the invasions and if I wanted to build more here I could definitely do it underground between the surface and the cave, but that wouldn't feel entirely too right too me and it would still be quite tight as far as space goes unless I put everyone tight and I already feel bad that all my NPCs essentially just get a regular-rear end chair and table (with the exception of the fireplaces) in a smallish rectangle. Alternatively I could build upwards or along the surface, but then I'd lose the whole deal going on in this with building a base out of the landscape (the cabins have already compromised that somewhat).

I think I might do a proper village somewhat further away with separate houses and lamp posts instead of putting them all in different rooms in the same housing complex.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can't get fishron's damage boost and the vortex stealth damage boost similtaneously :(

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

We have yet to see a single truffle worm appear in our world, despite several combined hours running around in cavern mushroom biomes with water candles. What are we missing?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

President Ark posted:

Of course, not having it at your origin point (or one of the ends of the world) leaves you with the possibility of one of the moon pillars spawning right on top of you.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Supremezero posted:

Of course, not having it at your origin point (or one of the ends of the world) leaves you with the possibility of one of the moon pillars spawning right on top of you.

That's why my base in my current singleplayer world is underground. Don't have to deal with any of that poo poo, and after spending 10 minutes and ~60 sticky bombs blasting a channel around it I won't have to deal with crimson or hallow once hardmode starts either.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I thought they changed it so that invasions target clusters of NPCs not just the original spawn?

Yeah, invasions focus where npcs are grouped now.

Source: our town is halfway to the map edge.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Wonder Weapon posted:

We have yet to see a single truffle worm appear in our world, despite several combined hours running around in cavern mushroom biomes with water candles. What are we missing?

Try building a trufflebridge in hell. Just a long line of mud planted with mushrooms. With a battle potion I'd usually get at least one per pass along it (and when you reach the end you can immediately turn around and run back).

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Supremezero posted:

That's what happened with two of the NPC stations I built in my first 1.3 world. One's because I built it over a lake right outside the dungeon entrance, the other was an ice castle that just happened to have the poo poo luck of being built right next to a pillar spawn point. :suicide:

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
is the staff of regrowth just "harvest plants without looking when they bloom"? in some places the wiki talks about getting seeds even if the plant isnt blooming which would be nice in the "World Of No Blood Moons"

oh nevermind, figured it out. i guess i gotta plant on crimson rock :(

is there a safe way to make a little crimson section in my base without causing the world to end?

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 20, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Just use a crimson planter. Also you still need to actually click on the plants to harvest them with staff of regrowth, and it'll only harvest plants that are blooming(will give seeds).

The Wonder Weapon posted:

They dig into the ground when you get close so you're probably not seeing them in time. A hunter potion and lifeform analyzer make it a lot easier.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jul 20, 2015

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Verviticus posted:

is there a safe way to make a little crimson section in my base without causing the world to end?

Surround it with a 5-block layer of empty space (or glass if you want to keep things solid).
Putting it actually in your base may cause your NPCs to move out.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

RatHat posted:

^^^ Just use a crimson planter. Also you still need to actually click on the plants to harvest them with staff of regrowth, and it'll only harvest plants that are blooming(will give seeds).

no, apparently if you harvest stuff on its native soil it gives seeds all the time. i guess i probably can't actually plant on crimtane blocks though

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Death weed blooms on full moons in addition to blood moons, so you aren't reliant on RNG to get more of it. Just remember to turn your cellphone's moon tracking option on.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Verviticus posted:

no, apparently if you harvest stuff on its native soil it gives seeds all the time. i guess i probably can't actually plant on crimtane blocks though

You can convert normal grass to crimson by throwing vicious powder at it, I think.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
^^^ Eye of Cthulhu drops seeds too.

Verviticus posted:

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've collected tons of deathweed while going through crimson but never gotten any seeds.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Holyshoot posted:

There's a housing manager. Click on the little house icon above your equipment. This allows you to set where NPCs live, and they will teleport there once off-screen.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Started a server with my girlfriend who never played the game before. For the first time in like 30 worlds, worldgen actually created a pyramid. Is it just me, or are pyramids incredibly boring? Just a lot of sandstone, a single room with some more or less worthless treasure, and a long zigzag staircase to nothing. I dug up a ton of it to build this.

I've since done more decorating and got more NPCs to move in, so the hair stylist is no longer camping out in the merchant's scrooge room. I'm proud of that little vault door.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

RatHat posted:

^^^ Eye of Cthulhu drops seeds too.

I'm pretty sure this isn't true. I've collected tons of deathweed while going through crimson but never gotten any seeds.

sorry, +"with the staff of regrowth"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my ongoing experiment to create a background forest with some depth to it