Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ilifinicus posted:

you're supposed to share the damage with the other tank until it splits, then you tank them in opposite directions so both tanks don't get hit by the stacks

It's easier just to have everyone stack in the middle and split it through the whole party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's not because it will interrupt casts which drops DPS and healing.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Also I don't really agree with Willias but an amusing anecdote:

Bahamut killed our tank before the first Megaflare exactly once - he was running STR accessories, but had a pre-Stoneskin, a pre-Adlo and Shield Oath. He never came within 2,000 HP of that happening again, and we still have no idea why.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Niton posted:

Bahamut killed our tank before the first Megaflare exactly once - he was running STR accessories, but had a pre-Stoneskin, a pre-Adlo and Shield Oath. He never came within 2,000 HP of that happening again, and we still have no idea why.

I survived a Flatten > 3x Flare Breath with exactly 37 HP once. We also killed Bahamut on that attempt.

Not saying that's a good reason to wear any particular kind of gear because that's basically RNG saving me, but that stupid poo poo happens sometimes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Niton posted:

Someone who was targeted for the damage split might've clipped him unless you guys grouped up far from bahamut? :shrug:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Eej posted:

It's not because it will interrupt casts which drops DPS and healing.

I haven't heard anyone complain of this before, but I've only been playing tank lately. Can anyone confirm that this happens?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Willias posted:

yes, because after reading a guide and watching a video on youtube, i know exactly how every mechanic is going to play out and how every single one of my party members is going to react to every single mechanic

oh, and i know every single time a boss is going to get a lucky string of crits on me

Do you play this game with robots or something? Better yet, are you a robot? Because when playing with normal ol human beings mistakes happen, and I've seen some pretty stupid kills come together by having the right people barely survive nasty mechanics.

My point is that going into an instance, you generally know approximately how much damage you'll be taking. If you look up a guide and go "oh, the tank buster hits for 10k and the autos hit for ~3k" then you know you can easily get away with 15k. You don't need 22k hp or whatever the max vit warriors are at because that extra 5-6k hp is not going to benefit you at all compared to an extra 20% dps.

^ getting hit with damage can cancel casts, I'm not sure if there's any mechanics to it beyond a random chance. It can be super frustrating though.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Evil Fluffy posted:

Someone who was targeted for the damage split might've clipped him unless you guys grouped up far from bahamut? :shrug:

It didn't even get to that - the opening 3 autos + breath just floored him, and it was never even remotely close since then.

bonewitch posted:

My point is that going into an instance, you generally know approximately how much damage you'll be taking. If you look up a guide and go "oh, the tank buster hits for 10k and the autos hit for ~3k" then you know you can easily get away with 15k. You don't need 22k hp or whatever the max vit warriors are at because that extra 5-6k hp is not going to benefit you at all compared to an extra 20% dps.

Yeah this is getting almost into old school WoW style TTL calculations - you pick a level of HP that gives you the desired result (4HKO/5HKO) whatever, and gear around wanting exactly that much HP at minimum.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 19, 2015

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Niton posted:

It didn't even get to that - the opening 3 autos + breath just floored him, and it was never even remotely close since then.

Could have been server lag/input lag making his cooldowns slight late :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So I just got into Alexander for the first time and holy moly that boss music :stare:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Niton posted:

Yeah this is getting almost into old school WoW styles TTL calculations - you pick a level of HP that gives you the desired result (4HKO/5HKO) whatever, and gear around wanting exactly that much HP at minimum.

I generally eyeball it tankbuster + auto + 2k. That means I can take tankbuster + two autos (approx) or tankbuster and a crit auto without any shielding, and generally gives me time to holmgang/IB/Thrill if for some reason I'm not getting healed right away.

I've totally seen top-level groups do poo poo like have their warrior at sub-tankbuster HP just to maximize DPS though, because they have that much faith in their healers to shield them.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Klades posted:

I haven't heard anyone complain of this before, but I've only been playing tank lately. Can anyone confirm that this happens?

That damage split between 8 people doesn't feel high enough to me, for it to cause interrupts, tbh.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ravana's Blinding Blade will interrupt all the time. So will the A3 Glove Slap.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

I'm not sure what to think about this until Belzac weighs in.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Wow. I can see why people say "No really, go into reactor blind". That was amazing. :magical:

Also all that ending stuff huh? :haw: Not going to talk about it because hey, nothing i got to say will add a new perspective.

Goddamn this game is so good.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

What hairstyle is that and where do I unlock it?

(SE, give me some god drat long hair already)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Truga posted:

:agreed:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's easier just to have everyone stack in the middle and split it through the whole party.

I love the part when they split and the OT who never paid attention just keeps his facing the raid.

The OT remark is always "But I have full vit gear!".

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Sorry, how does one tell if you are in DF with a bot? I had a Brayflox NM run yesterday where we had a PLD who did not use Shield Throw to pull (He was literally running in and using flash), was comboing Riot Blade, and did not acknowledge chat at all. We finally had enough by the third boss and kicked him.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Unlucky7 posted:

Sorry, how does one tell if you are in DF with a bot? I had a Brayflox NM run yesterday where we had a PLD who did not use Shield Throw to pull (He was literally running in and using flash), was comboing Riot Blade, and did not acknowledge chat at all. We finally had enough by the third boss and kicked him.

The telltale sign for the bot tank i got in Tam Tara: he ran against the walls for about 15 seconds after every pull.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Truga posted:

Long hair would be pointless because even short hair clips through absolutely everything.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Ways to find out if your tank is a bot: are they wearing Vit gear? If so, they're a bot.

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011

Literally worst girl from worst anime

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Unlucky7 posted:

I had two archer bots in tam-tara the other day. They were running ahead, moving erratically (randomly taking a couple steps backwards, stuttering back and forth during combat), and didn't acknowledge the chat, including the part where we accused them of being bots. Sometimes their pathfinding would gently caress up too and they'd run into walls.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Truga posted:

Freak Futanari posted:

Long hair would be pointless because even short hair clips through absolutely everything.

From some comments the art team's made in certain places (like the art books), this is the reason - super long hair is a technical nightmare on multiple levels in the current engine, and only NPCs like Iceheart get such hair because the art team can exert far more control over the hair per-scene, compared to a player's hair which has to work everywhere and ideally clip as little as possible.

(Longer hair would be cool)

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Chyea posted:

Literally worst girl from worst anime

yeah just like belzac

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

bonewitch posted:

^ getting hit with damage can cancel casts, I'm not sure if there's any mechanics to it beyond a random chance. It can be super frustrating though.

Well I mean, some damage always interrupts, some damage seems to never interrupt, and some damage interrupts sometimes (which is annoying)
I didn't know if it was an actual mechanics feature that the slaps caused interrupts, or if it was related to the damage level or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

SpaceDrake posted:

From some comments the art team's made in certain places (like the art books), this is the reason - super long hair is a technical nightmare on multiple levels in the current engine, and only NPCs like Iceheart get such hair because the art team can exert far more control over the hair per-scene, compared to a player's hair which has to work everywhere and ideally clip as little as possible.

(Longer hair would be cool)
Even then she has a weird 'Hair Cloak' thing going on a lot of the time where the hair about her shoulders is unnaturally stiff in order for the lower length to flow properly. Longer hair would be cool but it's not a high-priority thing for me.

Klades posted:

Well I mean, some damage always interrupts, some damage seems to never interrupt, and some damage interrupts sometimes (which is annoying)
I didn't know if it was an actual mechanics feature that the slaps caused interrupts, or if it was related to the damage level or something.

As far as I know it's a chance on taking damage, with that chance increasing as it approaches a certain percent of your Max HP. Some abilities might have modifiers on that since Clemency seems rather hard to interrupt but it's entirely likely that it's just the formula working normally and bosses just don't hit hard enough for the chance to stop it. Alexander bosses do though. That's the only time I notice my Clemency's getting interrupted.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mordiceius posted:

:siren: HOT CRAFTING TIP - PRECISE TOUCH :siren:

One hot tip to work Precise Touch into macros! Blacksmiths hate him!

Anyway, I'm a poo poo bad baby crafter so I've been watching Mithrie Menethil's videos on youtube and he was talking about working Precise Touch into macros.

When I first got Precise Touch, I didn't quite understand it:

The Inner Quite part was the part I didn't understand. Touches already increase Inner Quiet by one. The way Precise Touch works is it increases it by an additional one. So Precise Touch gives +2 Inner Quiet, which is huge. Problem is, only can be used on Good/Excellent, so that causes problems for working it into macros.

Solution!

When you're going to be doing a basic touch in a macro, put this in:

Every time you're doing a touch action, if you can Precise Touch, it'll do that and just error and move on from the Basic Touch, otherwise, it'll just error the Precise Touch and just do the Basic Touch.

Please don't use crafting macros if you actually care about the item you're producing.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008
should i go vit or str for my crafting classes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Should I throw balance on the DPS or on the tank to maximize his DPS and to better take advantage of his str accessories?

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Tenik posted:

Actually, this is exactly what you should do. Regen/fairy healing is much more mp efficient, but you lose out on the time efficiency of direct healing. Since DPS shouldn't be taking damage very often, you can let them slowly get back up to full health over 20 seconds instead spamming cure on them. Plus, that gives them enough time to remember that they have second wind or bloodbath, which means you can give even less of a poo poo about them.

As a Black Mage who takes unavoidable raid damage I should...

Incidentally bleeding to death on Odin was awesome and I can't wait for that again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

This is quite possibly the worst loving derail I've seen in this thread.

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

kharaa posted:

should i go vit or str for my crafting classes
Stack Vitamins on CUL.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Please don't use crafting macros if you actually care about the item you're producing.

Define "Care" cause I've been using them to level my crafter's, a macro is pretty useful for the weaver hats and Collectables (for GSM and CUL) i'm making

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Leal posted:

Should I throw balance on the DPS or on the tank to maximize his DPS and to better take advantage of his str accessories?

the impression i'm getting is that you should put it on yourself because it's literally just you that matters in parties

Plastic Paws
Jan 24, 2011
was going through old screenshots....

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

Stormgale posted:

Define "Care" cause I've been using them to level my crafter's, a macro is pretty useful for the weaver hats and Collectables (for GSM and CUL) i'm making

New skills aren't very conducive to macro use because of the good/excellent requirement and limit of 15 lines per macro, except for things that are already trivial. For leveling you want to get as long to HQ as possible generally.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Stormgale posted:

In the sense of "I definitely need this to be 100% HQ and I don't massively outlevel the recipe and the materials aren't trivially inexpensive". Good crafting involves too much variability and unpredictability for macros to be effective. And on top of that, even the tiniest server hiccup will destroy a crafting macro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

In the sense of "I definitely need this to be 100% HQ and I don't massively outlevel the recipe and the materials aren't trivially inexpensive". Good crafting involves too much variability and unpredictability for macros to be effective. And on top of that, even the tiniest server hiccup will destroy a crafting macro.

That's fair, I've been using them for even level macro stuff because the HQ 2* master macro I have still works and I'd rather have an 80% chance with 0 effort than go full on hasty touch rotation for leves.

Edit: Also collectibles because they don't need anywhere near 100% HQ

• Locked thread