Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improper Umlaut
Jun 8, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Due to NIMBY complaints from citizens of Antelope Valley, LA County is banning commercial wind turbines.

quote:

Antelope Valley residents have dealt with the negative effects of solar field development including dust generation, noise and thousands of acres of visual blight,

quote:

“Why are we converting this beautiful land that was zoned this way from our forefathers into industrial power plants?”

quote:

More than a dozen Antelope Valley residents said the wind turbines would destroy their vistas

Is there some part of the AV that's not a blasted desert hellscape that I don't know about? I'm a little south of there and don't get out that way too often so maybe I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

One man's "Blasted desert hellscape" is another man's beautiful desert wilderness.

I'm actually a little sympathetic: we're all somewhat conditioned to think of green energy solutions as the antithesis of polluting industrial power generation, but solar farms and wind farms are industrial development projects. If you live on or near open land that has been open land forever - whether that's forest, plains, desert, or whatever - you have a good argument to make about not converting that wilderness into power plants.

Additionally, it's reasonable to argue that for-profit commercial power generation companies shouldn't be given public land to develop power plants on. Government giveaways to industry are commonplace and often rife with corruption, or at the very least, wanton disregard for the actual public interest.

But having said all that? A bunch of the objections are straight-up tinfoil hat horseshit, and the article makes it sound like the county is literally being steered by twelve specific residents who showed up to protest at meetings, which is stupid. It makes perfect sense to focus on solar in an area that gets a very high number of clear days/year, but it also makes sense to develop wind in a place that has, you know, a lot of wind.

And this: "“There’s plenty of roofs and car ports to put this stuff on and leave the county alone,” he said."

I mean, that's just ignorant. Rooftop solar is fine and dandy, but industrial-scale power is still indespensable to the state's grid, and centralizing generation allows you to be way more efficient with distribution.

It's a thorny issue - the appropriate use of greenspace - made worse by the interference of NIMBY idiots.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

One man's "Blasted desert hellscape" is another man's beautiful desert wilderness.

I'm actually a little sympathetic: we're all somewhat conditioned to think of green energy solutions as the antithesis of polluting industrial power generation, but solar farms and wind farms are industrial development projects. If you live on or near open land that has been open land forever - whether that's forest, plains, desert, or whatever - you have a good argument to make about not converting that wilderness into power plants.

Additionally, it's reasonable to argue that for-profit commercial power generation companies shouldn't be given public land to develop power plants on. Government giveaways to industry are commonplace and often rife with corruption, or at the very least, wanton disregard for the actual public interest.

I think technically they're land leases and/or use permits rather than direct sales most of the time, but the effect is the same. While I might think a solar power tower only adds a bit of badass to an already pretty badass landscape, I completely get how few share my aesthetics and many people move to the country because of the views and visual environment.

The other NIMBYish people I sympathize with are Rockhounds. When we declare a big section of BLM land a renewables energy generation zone it automatically excludes that area from rockhounding. So they're losing access to areas passed down between generations and there aren't replacements. But when they go to the meetings, regulators weigh their recreation versus the health impacts of fossil fuels or AB32's mandates and well rockhounding doesn't win.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah. We're literally trying to save our civilization here, global warming may already be irreversible and accelerating no matter what we do but just in case it isn't, we desperately need to reduce carbon emissions and it's a global humanitarian emergency on a scale that makes the black plague look like no big deal.

On the other hand, why not raze a few ugly subdivisions of trash mcmansion tract housing and put the solar farms there, instead of despoiling chunks of the still mostly-undespoiled parts of our country? (I know exactly why not, that's a rhetorical question.)

I don't personally feel like windmills ruin a landscape but that's an aesthetic judgement. I can't pretend that it's not industrial development of open space.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. We're literally trying to save our civilization here, global warming may already be irreversible and accelerating no matter what we do but just in case it isn't, we desperately need to reduce carbon emissions and it's a global humanitarian emergency on a scale that makes the black plague look like no big deal.

On the other hand, why not raze a few ugly subdivisions of trash mcmansion tract housing and put the solar farms there, instead of despoiling chunks of the still mostly-undespoiled parts of our country? (I know exactly why not, that's a rhetorical question.)

I don't personally feel like windmills ruin a landscape but that's an aesthetic judgement. I can't pretend that it's not industrial development of open space.

Yeah, instead it's just 'ruining' rich people's views. :smith: California is in desperate need of development, and every old white fart in this state needs to stop pretending it's still 1978.

It's weird if you end up in a conversation with someone in their 50s..and you you get this very intense anti-development 'environmental' response, because they remember when less people were around, and some jerk built something to ruin their view. It's like a weird leftist version of 'gently caress you got mine'.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Space-Bird posted:

Yeah, instead it's just 'ruining' rich people's views. :smith: California is in desperate need of development, and every old white fart in this state needs to stop pretending it's still 1978.

It's weird if you end up in a conversation with someone in their 50s..and you you get this very intense anti-development 'environmental' response, because they remember when less people were around, and some jerk built something to ruin their view. It's like a weird leftist version of 'gently caress you got mine'.

Baby boomers are literally the devil and the only way we can make things better is if we dismantle everything they loved. Unfortunately, this means we also have to turn against Star Wars.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

TildeATH posted:

Baby boomers are literally the devil and the only way we can make things better is if we dismantle everything they loved. Unfortunately, this means we also have to turn against Star Wars.

.... I hate star wars so much. I literally cannot go like a day in my life without seeing a star wars reference. It's becoming a running joke with my friends..every time I see a cultural reference or mention to star wars it's like "Dang, got star wars'd again today." Try existing for 24 hours without seeing a Star Wars reference, it can't be done.

I agree, we have to destroy Star Wars. My favorite irony is that Star Wars Money is paying for affordable housing development in Marin County, the one good thing that franchise has ever done.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TildeATH posted:

Unfortunately, this means we also have to turn against Star Wars.

Sometimes you have to break a few eggs.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

No. No no no. Star Wars does not belong to the baby boomers! Star Wars is my generation's thing. The baby boomers are in their 60s now. Star Wars is for those of us in our 40s.

You may still hate it of course, but the Trilogy began in the late 70s and culminated to its fullness in the 80s. Those of us who were kids in that decade own Star Wars, and not our parents.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Star Wars died the minute Episode 1 arrived.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of power plants, the City of Oxnard and many residents are trying to stop the construction of a new power-plant on the oceanfront which will become obsolete in 15 years. It has to be built here because reasons. My best guess is all the other cities nearby could put up a big nasty legal fight and we can't because of the way the states zoning laws work.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Forceholy posted:

Star Wars died the minute Episode 1 arrived.

Yeah but it's being revived to become stronger, hold more influence, and WOW an audience.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Anime Curator posted:

and WOW an audience.

loving WoW ruins everything and everyone.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Thanks to the ridiculously broad definition of "baby boomers", there are mere youths of 51 who qualify as such. That whole tail-end-of-a-generation thing means that people who were barely teenagers when the whole 60s thing ended are still being lumped together with the hippies and the Goldwater voters and whatnot. As somebody once said, "I didn't go to San Francisco for the Summer of Love because I wasn't allowed to cross the street yet."

Meanwhile, I am not happy to learn that assholes with drones are keeping firefighters from being able to fly helicopters into the North Fire, the one that crosses I-15. I have no idea how anybody's going to be able to regulate private drones, but they're a menace in many other ways, notably invasions of privacy.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Meanwhile, I am not happy to learn that assholes with drones are keeping firefighters from being able to fly helicopters into the North Fire, the one that crosses I-15. I have no idea how anybody's going to be able to regulate private drones, but they're a menace in many other ways, notably invasions of privacy.
The fire department needs a HunterDrone that can chop the poo poo out of those drones.

Dronewarz

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Arsenic Lupin posted:

private drones, but they're a menace in many other ways

Too late for jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a29182/the-skunk-drone-is-coming/

quote:

For Sale: Weaponized Drones For Corporate Use

This crowd control drone is already selling to companies looking to stave off striking workers.

Yes, Desert Wolf, a company that plies a wide swath of other goodies including thermal imaging cameras, surveillance masts, armor-retrofitted vans and specialized trailers has taken the plunge into being first to offer a weaponized drone to the public. And sales, as you can imagine, are good. The firm sold 25 units to an international mining company after a photo of the drone, called "The Skunk," was featured on the military news site Defence Web.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/17/citizen-drone-warfare-hobbyist-explores-a-frighten/?page=all

quote:

Titled “Citizen Drone Warfare” and posted to YouTube last week by an anonymous man calling himself “Milo Danger,” the video shows a hobbyist drone equipped with a custom-mounted paintball pistol flying over a grassy field and peppering human-shaped shooting-range targets with pellets.

Following an attack pass by the drone, one of the targets sports three large red blotches on its head and neck area.

“I wanted to show an inevitability of what I think will happen with these drones,” said “Milo,” who lives on the West Coast and spoke to The Washington Times on condition of anonymity. “I’m not advocating bad activities. But I wanted to raise some of the ethical issues we need to think about with this new technology.

“We didn’t post the footage of this, but some of the guys who worked with me on the project weren’t afraid of being shot by paintballs. They wanted to see if they could escape the drone. The answer was, no, they could not.”

“Can a mail-order drone from a kit even handle the stress of rounds cycling through a gun? Is it accurate? Let’s find out.”

Flying about 15 feet above the ground and controlled by Milo with the help of an onboard video camera that transmits real-time images to a set of piloting goggles, the drone maneuvers around five human-shaped targets, the buzz of its electric engines mixing with the popping sound of the paintball gun discharging.

By the time the drone lands, Milo has hit all five targets repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jplh7uatr-E

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

Killbots are literally child's play:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoY2TlxyWm4

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

SOMEONE SAID KILLBOT!

(wow that is a loving disturbing link)

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

RandomPauI posted:

Speaking of power plants, the City of Oxnard and many residents are trying to stop the construction of a new power-plant on the oceanfront which will become obsolete in 15 years. It has to be built here because reasons. My best guess is all the other cities nearby could put up a big nasty legal fight and we can't because of the way the states zoning laws work.

At the rate all of Oxnard's beaches are eroding, the plant will just end up falling into the sea in a few years even if it is built.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
So yesterday the tail end of a hurricane blew in and it has been hot and humid as gently caress.
I saw the most amazing lighting storms I've ever seen in my life yesterday in San Diego.

However, I haven't saved much water since I've taken about 10 showers in the last 2 days since I'm completely soaked in sweat on a constant basis.

It's rained over 2 inches in 2 days, but it is also just humid as gently caress; and while it is only 80 degrees, I'm just a big blob of slimy sweat. For reference, I'm 6'0 and 160 pounds. Not really fat, though I do have a beer belly.
loving poo poo, I can't stop sweating; this is disgusting.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
It's like being in Satan's taint, I've been sitting in a metal chair in the rain because my stupid apartment doesn't have A/C and my fan broke. It's really too bad that no one in LA/OC had the foresight to build rainwater capture systems into our stormdrains; a lot of this rain is just going to wash right back out to sea.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mayor Dave posted:

It's like being in Satan's taint, I've been sitting in a metal chair in the rain because my stupid apartment doesn't have A/C and my fan broke. It's really too bad that no one in LA/OC had the foresight to build rainwater capture systems into our stormdrains; a lot of this rain is just going to wash right back out to sea.

Considering that a lot of areas ban collecting rainwater it wouldn't really matter.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My landlord installed a bunch of rain barrels like two weeks ago, in anticipation of the upcoming El Niño. They're all full today, after fours hours of rain.

Except for the one that shifted off its paver and broke the seal around its drain spigot.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
No, I'm talking about municipal capture directly from the storm drains. This is water that isn't covered by water rights and is currently going to waste. It's entirely different than, say, runoff in Colorado which is counted as part of the river allocation and therefore already assigned before it hits the ground. Granted, this water is severely contaminated from its journey through the storm drains, but treating it is cheaper than desal and more palatable than toilet to tap.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

No, I'm talking about municipal capture directly from the storm drains. This is water that isn't covered by water rights and is currently going to waste. It's entirely different than, say, runoff in Colorado which is counted as part of the river allocation and therefore already assigned before it hits the ground. Granted, this water is severely contaminated from its journey through the storm drains, but treating it is cheaper than desal and more palatable than toilet to tap.

I think the highly seasonal nature of rainfall on the coast makes it so you'd either have to make a huge plant to use a few weeks a year or make a tiny plant that does very little, but during most of the year.

Far cheaper to just accept that everyone in LA is already drinking Las Vegas's poo water and stop being so squeamish about treating waste water for use.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pohl posted:

So yesterday the tail end of a hurricane blew in and it has been hot and humid as gently caress.
I saw the most amazing lighting storms I've ever seen in my life yesterday in San Diego.

However, I haven't saved much water since I've taken about 10 showers in the last 2 days since I'm completely soaked in sweat on a constant basis.

It's rained over 2 inches in 2 days, but it is also just humid as gently caress; and while it is only 80 degrees, I'm just a big blob of slimy sweat. For reference, I'm 6'0 and 160 pounds. Not really fat, though I do have a beer belly.
loving poo poo, I can't stop sweating; this is disgusting.

The storms yesterday were amazing. That was literally the one thing I miss about the Midwest, so it was awesome.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Bobby Digital posted:

The storms yesterday were amazing. That was literally the one thing I miss about the Midwest, so it was awesome.

The lightning was literally hitting directly over my apartment building. Then boom boom BOOM!!!!!
It was like being at a gun range, only without protective ear cover. All of the car alarms were going off because that lighting was shaking everything. Like, my apartment literally shook when the big sonic boom went off. I've stood outside on my deck in Idaho almost naked enjoying rain and thundershowers, this one had me ducking and covering under my desk. It was just loving glorious.

My poor cats were just freaked out and crawling around like spiders (all 4 feet out, belly's on the ground, serious face; it was hilarious) for hours after it happened. That is understandable, because the BIG lighting and sonic booms lasted almost an hour where I was.

Pohl fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Jul 20, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Mayor Dave posted:

It's like being in Satan's taint...

Amazing.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Pohl posted:

The lightning was literally hitting directly over my apartment building. Then boom boom BOOM!!!!!
It was like being at a gun range, only without protective ear cover. All of the car alarms were going off because that lighting was shaking everything. Like, my apartment literally shook when the big sonic boom went off. I've stood outside on my deck in Idaho almost naked enjoying rain and thundershowers, this one had me ducking and covering under my desk. It was just loving glorious.

My poor cats were just freaked out and crawling around like spiders (all 4 feet out, belly's on the ground, serious face; it was hilarious) for hours after it happened. That is understandable, because the BIG lighting and sonic booms lasted almost an hour where I was.

Definitely had some walls rattling during the bigger thunderclaps here as well. I'm in Serra Mesa.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
You southern pleebs talking about raining while I sit here in a drought. :smith:

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

It's been abnormally hot and humid in the bay area too. There was also a small thunderstorm over Daly city/the southern edge of SF, but nowhere else...we need more storm, and less heat. Like most people in not-the-south-bay/outer east bay, my place doesn't have air conditioning :argh:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

You southern pleebs talking about raining while I sit here in a drought. :smith:

I think this means we can cut them off. Apparently they don't want any more water.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
It drizzled here in the southern East Bay around 7 AM, but now it's already 79.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Can confirm it was just hot and disgusting in the South Bay.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We need to have a region thunderdome(two regions enter, one region leaves) between the LA south bay and the SF south bay to end any confusion once and for all.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

bango skank posted:

We need to have a region thunderdome(two regions enter, one region leaves) between the LA south bay and the SF south bay to end any confusion once and for all.

What about the South Bay of California's second-largest city, San Diego?

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
No one cares about san diego.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What about the South Bay of California's second-largest city, San Diego?

It's not really CA's second largest city unless you're measuring things by city-limits, which are pretty arbitrary. The second largest city (metropolitan area) in CA is SF/the Bay Area. :smugbert:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

drilldo squirt posted:

No one cares about san diego.

Not even a little bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
The San Diego Zoo has kiwi birds, so at least care about the kiwi birds.