Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Strawman posted:

The problem here is that you're confusing sports with organised religion Baltimore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Okay I was not expecting this from North Korea.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Is there any reason why tonight's episode isn't on HBO Go?

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
I don't think it goes up on HBO Go until tomorrow morning. Because it's a live show that doesn't air until pretty late and on a Sunday to boot so they have to wait to get people in the office? I doubt that's the reason but it's the way it's always been as far as I know.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer
I've always assumed the show gets edited/delivered pretty close to the wire, and the process of transcoding it into a billion bitrates, then checking those transcodes for errors, then sending them to CDNs...etc just takes too long.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Also an actual Laibach cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4VMDxSyLAU

Kangaroo Jerk
Jul 23, 2000
I'm a little surprised that Oliver and team didn't figure out that Laibach is and always has been a parody of fascism, taking totalitarian imagery and blowing it up to preposterous proportions in their videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7muCRio2nQ

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Gumby posted:

I'm a little surprised that Oliver and team didn't figure out that Laibach is and always has been a parody of fascism, taking totalitarian imagery and blowing it up to preposterous proportions in their videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7muCRio2nQ

Well, I think it was last week when he asked the Freeburg, Illinois folks what they were thinking by choosing the "Freeburg Midgets" as their school's teams' name and mascot. Problem is, there is a perfectly innocent and completely verifiable explanation for how they came to have that name, but an Englishman explaining something in a logical and reasonable way isn't quite as entertaining as his incredulous outrage tends to be.

Of course, he can't take the time out to be in-depth about all of the elements of each of the stories he covers; one must remember the context of the show--it's comedy, not news. Besides, it's not like Laibach makes it very easy. Answering that you are a fascist in the same way that Hitler was a painter isn't all that clear-cut, because Hitler was a prolific (if not very talented) painter.

I think what everybody is missing here is that, hooray! Rock and roll is coming to North Korea!!

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

This week's topic was particularly dull. I guess it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but it's not controversial or anything.

Should food be donated instead of throwing it away? Yeah, probably, but that's a lot of effort for companies to figure out, so they take the path of least resistance.

Are expiration dates bullshit? Yeah, of course, food doesn't self-destruct when it reaches the end of its countdown, it's just food companies covering their asses because sometimes food goes nasty after a while. It's actually a more interesting issue in Greece, where they deemed that the expiration date on milk should be only a week out, in order to protect the Greek milk industry from foreign competition. It's actually one of the big issues that the EU is arguing with Greece over.

There's got to be more issues for them to go into.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

tarlibone posted:

Of course, he can't take the time out to be in-depth about all of the elements of each of the stories he covers; one must remember the context of the show--it's comedy, not news.

its feeling more and more like directed social commentary lately. Like "The Senate/FIFA/Big business/Police state/etc is loving you like this, please consider doing something about it" subtext.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
There is no way they can hide behind the "oh its COMEDY not news" cop out. Its news, with some jokes thrown in.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

SlothfulCobra posted:

This week's topic was particularly dull. I guess it's an issue that needs to be addressed, but it's not controversial or anything.

Should food be donated instead of throwing it away? Yeah, probably, but that's a lot of effort for companies to figure out, so they take the path of least resistance.

Are expiration dates bullshit? Yeah, of course, food doesn't self-destruct when it reaches the end of its countdown, it's just food companies covering their asses because sometimes food goes nasty after a while. It's actually a more interesting issue in Greece, where they deemed that the expiration date on milk should be only a week out, in order to protect the Greek milk industry from foreign competition. It's actually one of the big issues that the EU is arguing with Greece over.

There's got to be more issues for them to go into.

A lot of people blame lawyers for the prevention of food donations. It's weird how prevalent that thought is. And then it gets linked to the McDonalds coffee thing which is also bullshit.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

There is no way they can hide behind the "oh its COMEDY not news" cop out. Its news, with some jokes thrown in.

Oh, I agree that it's a cop-out. But, it's also kind-of true.

First and foremost, this show is a comedy show. The difference between this show and any other comedy is that the framing device is a news show, and the topics from which humor is drawn are current events. Personally, I do not have the same expectations of this show that I have from, say, the NBC Nightly News. Daily Show and Last Week Tonight will sometimes just opt for the quick laugh or other guttural reaction over the in-depth analysis, and such is the risk you run when getting your news from a comedy show.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

tarlibone posted:

Oh, I agree that it's a cop-out. But, it's also kind-of true.

First and foremost, this show is a comedy show. The difference between this show and any other comedy is that the framing device is a news show, and the topics from which humor is drawn are current events. Personally, I do not have the same expectations of this show that I have from, say, the NBC Nightly News. Daily Show and Last Week Tonight will sometimes just opt for the quick laugh or other guttural reaction over the in-depth analysis, and such is the risk you run when getting your news from a comedy show.

Explain CNN then.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Explain CNN then.

CNN is a comedy show that thinks its news.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Onion is news that thinks it's comedy.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Xoidanor posted:

The Onion is news that thinks it's comedy.

The news is comedy that thinks it's news.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i actually thought the food waste segment was really well written.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Soylentbits posted:

The news is comedy that thinks it's news.

Huey Lewis thinks he's the News.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Whenever I see someone try to raise the "John Oliver (or Colbert or Stewart) is making the 'it's comedy not news' copout" argument, I often have a hard time precisely figuring out what blame of material harm the comedian is supposedly trying to dodge.

I feel that they always give that disclaimer in part because the real news has become a joke, and they don't want to exacerbate that problem. That and the fact they see their comedy as an artform and are still trying to have some kind of ownership of it even though it'll always get spun one way or another.

I always felt like when bloggers try to write some thinkpiece like "John Oliver is a journalist no matter how many times he denies it" it's in part because of cultural/political posturing on part of the blogger and audience. They want their entertainment to be "something more" by pointing at it and saying to everyone it's something more.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Echo Chamber posted:

Whenever I see someone try to raise the "John Oliver (or Colbert or Stewart) is making the 'it's comedy not news' copout" argument, I often have a hard time precisely figuring out what blame of material harm the comedian is supposedly trying to dodge.

I feel that they always give that disclaimer in part because the real news has become a joke, and they don't want to exacerbate that problem. That and the fact they see their comedy as an artform and are still trying to have some kind of ownership of it even though it'll always get spun one way or another.

I always felt like when bloggers try to write some thinkpiece like "John Oliver is a journalist no matter how many times he denies it" it's in part because of cultural/political posturing on part of the blogger and audience. They want their entertainment to be "something more" by pointing at it and saying to everyone it's something more.

It's probably exactly the same reason why Glenn Beck was deemed an entertainment program and not news.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

So's this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTQcJx7xqAc

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Echo Chamber posted:

It's dodging the accountability and responsibility that (is supposed to) comes with being a journalist.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't know about Colbert, but I know that Stewart at least once went on the record using this defense. Of course, the context is key: he was on Bill O'Reilly's show on Fox News, and Papa Bear had been trying to take him to task for not giving a fully rounded and fair picture of some topical news story. (And yes, I know, O'Reilly's lack of self-awareness is ridiculous, and the irony was totally lost on him.) What he actually said was pretty funny, because he talked about the fact that after his show was over, the next show featured puppets making prank phone calls.

So it has been used before, and Stewart never backed down from that position. I think it's really only a problem for the people who don't agree with his take on a given situation (usually, these people are social conservatives). Everyone else either agrees with him wholeheartedly, or they're too busy laughing to fact-check his monolog.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'm willing to bet that anyone who actually thinks The Daily Show and Last Week Tonight are good journalists has a fairly limited exposure to news media. They are definitely smart and entertaining, but they are certainly not journalist. Hell, them not being journalist is what makes them so great.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

IRQ posted:

It's dodging the accountability and responsibility that (is supposed to) comes with being a journalist.
So it's about journalistic ethics in comedy shows? :suicide:

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

tarlibone posted:

I don't know about Colbert, but I know that Stewart at least once went on the record using this defense. Of course, the context is key: he was on Bill O'Reilly's show on Fox News, and Papa Bear had been trying to take him to task for not giving a fully rounded and fair picture of some topical news story. (And yes, I know, O'Reilly's lack of self-awareness is ridiculous, and the irony was totally lost on him.) What he actually said was pretty funny, because he talked about the fact that after his show was over, the next show featured puppets making prank phone calls.

So it has been used before, and Stewart never backed down from that position. I think it's really only a problem for the people who don't agree with his take on a given situation (usually, these people are social conservatives). Everyone else either agrees with him wholeheartedly, or they're too busy laughing to fact-check his monolog.

Yeah, Stewart was using it for years. At least as far back as the infamous Crossfire incident.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
And what's really weird is people taking Tucker Carlson's "side".

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Noted fair and balanced news channel Fox News was mad because a show on Comedy Central wasn't fair and balanced. That's the entire story.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i actually thought the food waste segment was really well written.

Agreed. I enjoyed this one and he raised some points I wasn't entirely aware of beforehand.

IRQ posted:

At this point we should probably give up the ghost. There hasn't been any journalistic accountability or responsibility since at least the lead-up to the Iraq War if not longer. No point in pretending it's an integral component of journalism in America anymore.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

Noted fair and balanced news channel Fox News was mad because a show on Comedy Central wasn't fair and balanced. That's the entire story.

Stewart himself has been more than happy to demonstrate the multitude of times that Fox News is willing to criticize someone for something that they themselves will happily engage in without questioning. Basically any "controversy" backed by Fox News should be understood to not actually be about the thing they're supposedly mad about and rather more about an attempt to weaken an entity they believe holds political views that differ from their own.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

SlothfulCobra posted:

This week's topic was particularly dull.
You're allowed to not enjoy the episode, thats fine, but I thought it was quite interesting and the scale at which it occurs would have been quite eye opening for a lot of people.

SlothfulCobra posted:

but it's not controversial or anything.
being controversial isn't the goal of the show

SlothfulCobra posted:

Yeah, probably, but that's a lot of effort for companies to figure out, so they take the path of least resistance.
He acknowledges this, hence his awareness raising/push to incentivise it.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Are expiration dates bullshit? Yeah, of course, food doesn't self-destruct when it reaches the end of its countdown, it's just food companies covering their asses because sometimes food goes nasty after a while.
Most people wouldn't know this (hence a lot of the waste). And John points out several more reasons other than "food companies covering their asses"

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

haha "food insecure families" or whatever they said. Are they really afraid of just saying poor people?

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

zVxTeflon posted:

haha "food insecure families" or whatever they said. Are they really afraid of just saying poor people?
It's a definition from the USDA:
http://www.ers.usda.gov/topics/food-nutrition-assistance/food-security-in-the-us/measurement.aspx#security

quote:

Food insecurity is limited or uncertain availability of nutritionally adequate and safe foods or limited or uncertain ability to acquire acceptable foods in socially acceptable ways.
Given that the problem does not likely affect someone with the means to access any average sized supermarket and pay for food there, yes they're likely poor. Possibly old.

This was the first segment that prompted me to sit my wife in front of it. She's guilty of most of the problems mentioned but the one that has always irritated me the most is her attitude toward expiration dates. She's been one of the "if it's one day over, or even expires today, throw it out" people.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Generally the only groups that are constantly going around collecting food from grocery stores are local churches, because it requires a lot of people to volunteer their time and that's a big thing for church groups to do. I used to work in a grocery store, and their food donation service was abandoned when the company/group that was picking it up every day suddenly said they wanted to be paid to take the food away/get some sort of cash benefit and the program immediately ended. I remember every day throwing away 3-4 jam packed carts full of food in the dumpster, and I had to make sure every container was damaged or open so people couldn't scrounge. Some places even dump a few gallons of bleach all over the top of trash as well.

It's pretty surprising that it does come down to a problem of perception and lovely lawmakers. I know it's illegal for private individuals to hand out food to the homeless but it's surprising that any actual organization that does it is well shielded from legal persecution as long as everything is in good faith.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Toplowtech posted:

So it's about journalistic ethics in comedy shows? :suicide:

No, just the ones that are reporting news. Whether Stewart et al want the mantle of journalist or not it's become pretty clear that they are doing more than just poking fun at political poo poo like Key and Peele's Obama interpreter, for example.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Yea it's called satire. It has existed for ages before Stewart or Oliver began their shows. Satire is not journalism nor ever will be. It points out problems that are being ignored or denied in a humorous way. I've never understood the insistence on pretending they're something else. They are there to point out the absurdity of societal and political norms leaving us to decide whether or not to do something about it.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

If John Oliver does ever need to respond to the MRA gamer gate assholes:

quote:

Male gamers who bully female players are literal losers, study finds

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-...y-finds/6636320

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Relentlessboredomm posted:

They are there to point out the absurdity of societal and political norms leaving us to decide whether or not to do something about it.

The problem arises when 80% of the audience doesn't understand that the show is not a thought-provoking political commentary, but a one-sided and simplistic take on news stories designed to evoke a reaction, so you wind up with guys like

Shakugan posted:

If John Oliver does ever need to respond to the MRA gamer gate assholes:

and the Israel guy constantly demanding Oliver validate their political views so they can win online arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

The problem arises when 80% of the audience doesn't understand that the show is not a thought-provoking political commentary, but a one-sided and simplistic take on news stories designed to evoke a reaction, so you wind up with guys like

and the Israel guy constantly demanding Oliver validate their political views so they can win online arguments.

Everyone always said there'd be a day you agree with Irish Joe.

Didn't think it'd be so soon.

• Locked thread