Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

lelandjs posted:

Just finished up the season myself. Trying to collect my thoughts. I liked that the (EP 12) reoccurring establishing shot of the guy running outside Bojack's house had a payoff, I thought it was just a gag about how TV shows use the same exterior shots again and again. Instead it was a metaphor!

Episode 11 was a punch straight to the heart, even if everyone saw it coming--but that's the point. Bojack is Bojack, there's no other way that could have ended.

One question--I get that (EP 12) they used CGI to essentially make Secretariat into a new movie, but where did the new dialog come from? I honestly expected them to make a joke about how they hired some voice actor named Whale Arnett to record the new lines.

...I'm not actually seriously asking that question, I just wanted to make a "Whale Arnett" joke.

Oh god why did they not do that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If they have the technology to assemble a movie out of a 10-second scan of Bojack's face then they can probably also simulate his voice.

withak fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jul 19, 2015

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
^^^Hi, yes, I have enough information from this post to figure out what you're all talking about, when it happens, and how things play out. USE YOUR TAGS.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
I wonder if having a panda bear named Alan as a minor character in one episode was a reference to convicted child predator Alan "The Panda" Berlin or that was just a really, really unfortunate coincidence.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of I liked the touch about Alan that he wore a red shirt

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

iSheep posted:

Speaking of I liked the touch about Alan that he wore a red shirt

Also the company he works for is called Shoots And Leaves, as in Eats, Shoots and Leaves

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
Oh man, just finished the season and still not sure how I feel.

Don't click this if you haven't watched the whole season.

Overall it was a great season. I do miss not really knowing what the true tone of the series was like I did in season 1 though. I spent a lot more time pausing the show in anticipation of something really cringe inducing. I think I had Escape From LA on pause collectively for longer than the actual play time.

There were a lot of emotional blows and some heavy stuff as well, but I think they brought out the big,dark,existential guns too much and too early. I feel like the early episodes aren't uh... light enough? As a result the full contact gut punch from the last %25 from the first season seemed to be missing in this one, which was a personal appeal from the first season. That season sort of mirrored real life. When you wake up in the morning everything seems great and bright and shining, the world is beautiful and people are awesome. But when the sun sets and you get a couple of drinks in you, the true biting horror of the world starts to set in. Then you go to bed and wake up the next day to start it all over again.

There's also that struggle between gritty and truthful versus light and happy endings. I think the writers are starting to feel it and touched on it pretty early with the direction Secretariat goes in after the screen test. "People want happy endings."

I want all the characters to grow and change and to become better, but I know that's not really true to life and it's not really true to the series either. I want Bojack to succeed and to become a better person and be happy, but as soon as he does that the show is over. I hope the writing team are prepared to fight to kill this thing when it needs to, instead of dragging it out for six seasons and a movie, because I don't think I can handle that much :smith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bojack doesn't necessarily need to be happy, I liked the ending of season 1 in no small part because they found something like an uplifting ending without having to cure Bojack's depression. He and Diane had worked out their issues, his career was resurrected from the ashes, he was perfectly aware that these things didn't really make him happy, but he was still open to the possibility of happiness in the future.

In a way it's why I think the little ending bit this season with the Macaque feels a bit unearned. He didn't really do anything this time. It's hard to take him "focusing on what matters" by skipping out on a movie he didn't believe in anymore to rescue Todd from improv because the whole improv plotline just felt like another wacky Todd misadventure stretched out a little rather than being something that culminated over the whole season.

Satisfying progress for Bojack doesn't have to mean he's happy, he just has to make positive steps. Being able to recognize the damage he's doing and stopping himself would be something. Most of the things that would make him happy he admits would only make him happy "for a little while", so I think they've got plenty of room to explore Bojack getting better regardless of whether he's happy or not, like making amends and not hurting people in the future.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lisa Kudrow hit it out of the park for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Rolo posted:

Lisa Kudrow hit it out of the park for me.

One of the biggest laughs was her reading of "finding out about Sinatra's death was a real curveball. Ditto most of my family."

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
Is it just me, or was Alex the KGB agent supposed to look exactly like Philip Jennings from The Americans?

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jul 19, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Dolash posted:

In a way it's why I think the little ending bit this season with the Macaque feels a bit unearned. He didn't really do anything this time. .

My two cents is that I think the theme for this season is that the story doesn't end where the characters hope it will. What I mean by that is that there is no happily ever after, rather it's a continual journey* and things can and will still go wrong because everything is just another step, with all the potential pitfalls that entails, and not a definite conclusion. Bojack thought that if he got the part of Secretariat, everything in his life would be fixed. Then, he thought that if he could reconnect with Charlotte, he would be happy. Diana thought going to Cordovia with Sebastian would help her feel fulfilled and purposed. Todd and Princess Carolyn roughly fall in line with their respective attempt to find new friends or love and respect. In every case, the characters get what they want but find it's not what they dreamed it would be and have to push through the despair and disappointment to keep going. In that sense, the macaque's little pep talk is totally congruent what we've see throughout the season.

* "The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn’t the search for meaning, it’s to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense and eventually, you’ll be dead."

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

In It For The Tank posted:

My two cents is that I think the theme for this season is that the story doesn't end where the characters hope it will. What I mean by that is that there is no happily ever after, rather it's a continual journey* and things can and will still go wrong because everything is just another step, with all the potential pitfalls that entails, and not a definite conclusion. Bojack thought that if he got the part of Secretariat, everything in his life would be fixed. Then, he thought that if he could reconnect with Charlotte, he would be happy. Diana thought going to Cordovia with Sebastian would help her feel fulfilled and purposed. Todd and Princess Carolyn roughly fall in line with their respective attempt to find new friends or love and respect. In every case, the characters get what they want but find it's not what they dreamed it would be and have to push through the despair and disappointment to keep going. In that sense, the macaque's little pep talk is totally congruent what we've see throughout the season.

* "The universe is a cruel, uncaring void. The key to being happy isn’t the search for meaning, it’s to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense and eventually, you’ll be dead."

I like this.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think there's no chance that next season, Mr. Peanutbutter really just lets Diane's long-term lie go. They did a very good job of deepening his character, and while he's very good at just letting things slide off his back, he's not perfect. He admits he's been subtly guilt-tripping Diane about her leaving, and he reveals (on national TV) that he's still pissed at BoJack for kissing Diane.

And since the fact that this show is hilarious gets lost in all the focus on the drama, Diane's sequel to her Ira Glass ringtone owned.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I sort of assumed that after episode 12, the two of them went home and Diane told him the whole story. The only thing that'd been holding her back was fear of rejection and judgment and Mr. Peanutbutter signaled pretty unambiguously that he'd accept her no questions asked. It's really not as big a deal as Diane thought, "I tried for a month but it was just too awful and then I was too ashamed to show my face" is a pretty sympathetic story. Her perspective seemed to have changed a lot from her conflict between wanting to do important work and being with Mr. Peanutbutter early in the season and by the end of the season she just wants to be back with Mr. Peanutbutter, I think that particular source of conflict in their marriage could be resolved.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

PostNouveau posted:

I think there's no chance that next season, Mr. Peanutbutter really just lets Diane's long-term lie go.

Mr. Peanutbutter has been shown to be so completely oblivious in the past that I honestly couldn't tell if him telling Diane over the phone that there was a woman who looked just like her in the restaurant was a joke or Mr. Peanutbutter honestly did not think it was her. He may just not realize she had been in LA for the past few months until Bojack mentions it in passing or something.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Mr. Peanutbutter has been shown to be so completely oblivious in the past that I honestly couldn't tell if him telling Diane over the phone that there was a woman who looked just like her in the restaurant was a joke or Mr. Peanutbutter honestly did not think it was her. He may just not realize she had been in LA for the past few months until Bojack mentions it in passing or something.

I think it's pretty clearly meant to be him sparing her. If it wasn't, then he'd actually be asking her to return from halfway around the world to help him find the batteries for the remote.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

PostNouveau posted:

I think it's pretty clearly meant to be him sparing her. If it wasn't, then he'd actually be asking her to return from halfway around the world to help him find the batteries for the remote.

I felt this to in the way he talked to her. It felt like he in a way understood why she came back and his but at the same time worries about her. Paul F. Tompkins owns.

Also, how many times to we see the old runner in the season? I'm pretty sure it was more than twice from the first episode and the end scene.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Waffleopolis posted:

Also, how many times to we see the old runner in the season? I'm pretty sure it was more than twice from the first episode and the end scene.

Definitely a few times across the season, but one thing I wasn't sure about was I got the impression in the first episode that Bojack had lost quite a bit of weight and the first time we see the macaque he seems a little out of shape too. But over the course of the season, I think Bojack slowly puts the weight back on whereas the macaque looks in slightly better shape. I honestly can't decide if that was actually happening or if I'm imagining it because it's pretty subtle if true.

As for the ending, I'm still thinking it might've been stronger with a few tweaks. Like, if dropping Secretariat that Bojack doesn't care about anymore to rescue Todd is meant to be the big climax, it might've been good if Bojack's friends' plots tied into it somehow - like he needed Princess Carolyn, Diane and Mr. Peanutbutter (maybe even Wanda) to help him pull off the rescue and their involvement drives them to tackle their own issues. Maybe that's too saccharine, but as-is the improv cult stuff didn't feel as climactic as last season's book launch and more involvement might've upped the stakes.

And as great as episode 11 was, maybe tweaking it a little to connect to the rest of the season more would help the way last season's episode 11 was. As-is I can't really correlate Bojack's experience in New Mexico with his decision to help Todd over sticking with the movie, maybe if the focus stayed on Charlotte not wanting to run away with Bojack because she has a family she cares about (Kyle detecting her budding infidelity being the breaking point rather than Penny)? I feel like tampering with episode 11 might make it weaker as a standalone but it's not contributing as much to the season overall as it should.

Edit: VVVV Yeah, pretty much exactly.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jul 19, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

My only issue with the season is that all the various characters' subplots don't all come together. A couple characters, Princess Carolyn in particular feel like their stories were just happening in parallel. I also would have liked to see things reach more of a conclusion with Wanda as a character, it would also have been nice to see her interact more with other characters.

Great to see more of Maria Bamford, though. She's my favorite comedian.

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I think that (full season spoilers) A lot of Episode 11 and Episode 12 were designed specifically to bite Bojack in the rear end later down the line. The whole secretariat thing is going to feed into his depression and resentment towards his fans. Sure, the movie is going to be a great success. Sure, he might even get an Oscar for it, but deep down he's going to know that he had absolutely no part in that and that is going to eat him alive.

There were a lot of lingering consequences in New Mexico, as well. If any single one of those characters shows up in L.A. (w/ the exception of boner brother, maybe), then Bojack is going to in some way have to deal with the fallout of A) subjecting a teenage girl to alcohol poisoning and B) destroying Charlotte's home life. I can see in season 3- where Bojack knows to keep trying at self-improvement and contentedness and having to deal with the fallout from this ruining that.

I don't necessarily think that this is the direction the show is going to go, but that's kind of what I felt the back portion of the season was for- setup for future self-sabotage.

Oh yeah, and Lisa Kudrow killed it this season.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Arrrthritis posted:

:agreed:

"Holy poo poo they're flat now!"

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm amazed at who they get to guest star as no-name characters in this

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Just finished season 2, gotta say, I love this show. I liked season 1's mix of dark comedy and moving moments, but season 2 knocked it out the park.

WIll Arnett is fantastic as Bojack, you love him, hate him and feel really bad for him all at the same time. I did think it was a shame that Wanda kinda wonders out for the last three episodes.

Any word on when we'll get a renewal announcement?

Also, anyone know what the song is that plays at the Roller Disco when Bojack meets Wanda? I can't seem to find it online.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 19, 2015

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I just finished this season and I'm really disappointed they didn't milk the "owl character says 'who' a lot" gag for all it's worth.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

OldMemes posted:

Also, anyone know what the song is that plays at the Roller Disco when Bojack meets Wanda? I can't seem to find it online.

I think it's an original for the show. There's a running gag that episode that the songs in the background are perfect for the moments they get played.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

PostNouveau posted:

I think it's an original for the show. There's a running gag that episode that the songs in the background are perfect for the moments they get played.

I hope they release it on itunes or something, I really liked that one. It was better than Bojack's "this is a song from the 80s! The decade which it currently is!" song from last season. I was totally convinced that "Special Feeling" was an obscure late 70s/early 80s song or something.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Arrrthritis posted:

Wanda is great. I hope we see more of her in the future. If nothing else she's still connected to Mr. Peanutbutter's show, so it's not out of the question for her to turn up again.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Opposing Farce posted:

Wanda is great. I hope we see more of her in the future. If nothing else she's still connected to Mr. Peanutbutter's show, so it's not out of the question for her to turn up again.

You mean Hollywoo Celebrities: Do They Know Things? What Do They Know? Let's Find Out!?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I havent read any spoilers at all about season 2, just put on the first episode of it, and it starts with an emotional dick-kick. Hahaha. I missed this show.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Silliest callback joke: the grease fire at Todd's Disneyland is named "Gabe Jr."

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
We just binged through season 2 today.

I enjoyed it for about 5 episodes before I saw it dissapear up it's own rear end at around the same time it did last season. The various plots collapsing felt very forced, in particular Bojack abandoning his life yet again - in particular his girlfriend whom the show already wanted us to believe he had a connection with and the movie he desperately wanted to make after hanging out with a stoner/drunk for a day - this time to go to New Mexico. Bojack must have realized he doesn't like himself 6 times now. Todd had almost exactly the same walk-out-on-Bojack moment what, twice last year? Bojack holding Diane to account for hurting his feelings really felt like both long overdue and a too little, too late bandaid applied to what was a very character and even series-defining moment from last season. Both Bojack and Diane by season's end seem outrageously high-maintenance and with ridiculously unrealistic standards around them despite who they constantly reveal themselves to be. Diane's character in particular is a disparate mess which is probably a symptom of her moving from object-to-be-pursued last season to quasi-deuteragonist this time. Todd's is even worse but the show only occasionally decides to hold him to the same bar that it holds her. Princess Carolyn is by far the least frustrating character for most of the season and the end of the season for her feels like a refreshingly positive step, even if it will probably be predictably undone by the show next season as a prop to highlight Bojack loving up.

It's still interesting, but this show feels like there's 6 different writers pulling in different directions, and then asking us to accept their discordant views as a larger plan.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Mr. Peanutbutter's custom printing disasters will never stop being funny to me.

I HAD A BALL
AT DIANE'S 35TH
BIRTHDAY AND UNDERLINE
BALL I DON'T KNOW WHY
THIS IS SO HARD

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Jose posted:

I'm amazed at who they get to guest star as no-name characters in this

On the other hand they were even worse about having Patton Oswalt voice every other side character when the dude really doesn't have the range for it.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I honestly have a hard time differentiating between Patton Oswalt and Eugene Mirman and just assume both of them are on the show.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
He's occupying that slot that Jack McBrayer had a few years ago where he would appear in almost every animated show going with a slight modulation on his very distinctive voice.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Episode 11 was pretty nuts, I think it was the only time the entire season that somebody says the word gently caress. I forgot that since it's a Netflix-only show they can use whatever language they want. I get the impression that they held back on the f-word all season just so it would have more impact when it gets used that once.

I agree that the culmination of the entire season is the last few lines of the last episode. Bojack gets a lot of good advice throughout the entire season and follows approximately none of it, and gets poo poo on all over for not following it. Maybe that last piece, which is IMO the primary thing you need to know about actually changing yourself, will actually get him on the right track.

This show does an amazing job of making self-absorbed people who make terrible decisions very compelling and sympathetic. Even when Bojack is at his worst, you want him to do better and since its a TV show he probably eventually will. Although given the nature of this show I wouldn't be surprised if he dies shortly after or in the process of making good. I really have no idea what direction the show will take, Bojack has lots of bridges to potentially burn or build up, which to me is the main draw of the show. Hopefully Kelsey will show up again, it was good to see her and Bojack make a connection.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Dolash posted:

Man the weirdest thing about episode 11 to me is until that point, Charlotte was more of an idea than a person, as she was in season 1's episode 11 as a representation of the dream "other life" Bojack could've had. That she went on to have a family of her own isn't too surprising, but the way she reacted to Bojack was - inviting him to stay is such a strange move, what was she thinking there? She must've seen through the boat show thing. By the time of the prom she was leaning on him more than her husband, and then their talk in the backyard, she's got this whole unexplored character and life we only saw a bit of. Was she unhappy with Kyle? Nostalgic for her free youth? Did she really have strong feelings for Bojack that'd persisted all this time?

A page back, but I think Charlotte was in a similar headspace as Bojack, looking back at what could have been. The difference is she doesn't hate her life and herself. I think she accepted Bojack into her home in with a mixture of nostalgia, pity, a general desire to help, and a tiny bit regret for not building a life with him when she was in her 20's. Clearly she has some kind of feelings for him, and I wonder if she had similar dreams about what her life would have been like with Bojack. When Bojack finally lays everything out in the backyard and she starts talking about how they only knew each other for 5 minutes 30 years ago, I think she is talking to herself more than him. Of course, when she find him with Penny everything snaps into focus, and any trace of fantasy or nostalgia is destroyed instantly.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Great season. Just got done binge watching the entire thing. So good all around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I dont know posted:

A page back, but I think Charlotte was in a similar headspace as Bojack, looking back at what could have been. The difference is she doesn't hate her life and herself. I think she accepted Bojack into her home in with a mixture of nostalgia, pity, a general desire to help, and a tiny bit regret for not building a life with him when she was in her 20's. Clearly she has some kind of feelings for him, and I wonder if she had similar dreams about what her life would have been like with Bojack. When Bojack finally lays everything out in the backyard and she starts talking about how they only knew each other for 5 minutes 30 years ago, I think she is talking to herself more than him. Of course, when she find him with Penny everything snaps into focus, and any trace of fantasy or nostalgia is destroyed instantly.

Yeah, I really don't think Bojack and Penny were on Charlotte's radar at all. Maybe a tiny bit when he first returns and she quickly asks about her, but she settles down, she really doesn't realize the danger. After that kiss she seemed a hair's breadth from sleeping with him herself before she gets a grip and asks him to leave, there's an alternate outcome I could imagine where it's Penny who walks in on Charlotte and Bojack and he leaves the family just as devastated.

My first impression of episode 11 had been that it burned Charlotte as a plot point for Bojack as much as Herb was, but the more I think about it the more I'm thinking of all the potential consequences and ways his actions in New Mexico could come back to haunt him. The ambiguity surrounding Charlotte's feelings are a big part of what made her interesting even when first introduced, we don't have much of a better sense of what she wants than Bojack and possibly she doesn't really know either. He might've destroyed any sentimental illusions she had about who he was, but he's also left enough of a mark on their home life now that Bojack could be inescapable - I'd love to see the fallout of Bojack's departure the next morning, but at best we'll probably have to infer the outcome if we ever see any of those characters again.

A scene where Penny accuses her mother of jealousy or tells her father Bojack had been there for his wife the whole time and she knew it would be agonizing.