Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I think adding some dry brushing to bring out dried mud / semi-dried mud / etc. would make it look less like chocolate.

Don't get me wrong, it looks delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
you would probably gain a lot on the shape of the mud if it wasn't so thick and chunky everywhere - you want smoother bits too. Also, try grabbing some models with feet and pushing footprints into the mud.
Add some static grass and then mud over parts of the static grass.

Also, take your brown and shift it more yellow and less saturated.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Yum!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Moola posted:

Defeinitely gonna try this on my next base!

Meanwhile I browned the rocks and now it looks like chocolate cake

Still liking that candy land suggestion a bit back.

Accept your chocolate covered future

e: paint the rocks not brown

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

w00tmonger posted:

Chaos Fudge Knights.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
^^^In the deep deliciousness of the far future, there is only fudge. :v:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

e: paint the rocks not brown

Lollipop bushes and candy cane twigs.

Fruit gum rocks, yeah that'd be awesome.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

It looks muddy, it looks good. A few tufts of static grass (brown may be best) will differentiate it as scenery, the brownie comments are just teasing. Does the base lay flat or are the lumps on the bottom making it wobbly? Could be sanded-off easily if so.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Yeah there were lumps on the bottom/edge making it wobble

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Post 9-11 User posted:

the brownie comments are just teasing.
Nah, it really does look like baked goods. It needs plants and some drybrushing with lighter shades of brown. The drybrushing should vary in strength over the base, so some parts look dried up while other parts still look muddy. I think a big part of the problem is that the rocks are too big relative to the miniatures you'll be using. Even normal sand will look like really coarse gravel next to a mini, so those rocks end up looking absolutely huge. They at least need to be further into the ground, since rocks tend to sink into the earth over time. That and it will definitely help to smooth off the bottoms and edges of the bases and paint the edges a different color.

Dirt Worshipper
Apr 2, 2007

Paralithodes Californiensis
Does it have a nougat center?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

An Angry Bug posted:

Nah, it really does look like baked goods. It needs plants and some drybrushing with lighter shades of brown. The drybrushing should vary in strength over the base, so some parts look dried up while other parts still look muddy. I think a big part of the problem is that the rocks are too big relative to the miniatures you'll be using. Even normal sand will look like really coarse gravel next to a mini, so those rocks end up looking absolutely huge. They at least need to be further into the ground, since rocks tend to sink into the earth over time. That and it will definitely help to smooth off the bottoms and edges of the bases and paint the edges a different color.

This is awesome advice that I agree with.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Arson Fire posted:

Cross post from the oath thread

I think these got lost in the brownie chat. Those Nids look good!

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Moola posted:

Have you considered going into baking? A 4000pt gingerbread force is relatively cheap if you make all the men yourself and get the gum drops from Michael's.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

TheCosmicMuffet posted:

Have you considered going into baking? A 4000pt gingerbread force is relatively cheap if you make all the men yourself and get the gum drops from Michael's.

Side benefit: Casualties are delicious.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Dr. Gargunza posted:

Side benefit: Casualties are delicious.

You could even make it so you are the God of your army. Whenever they fall in battle they are taken to the gates of your stomach Valhalla to await their final judgement (delicious).

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I really want a brownie now

I have removed some of the large rocks, which have created indentations which I have gently filled with a little pva glue

I'm hoping when the glue dries it will look like puddles of water

What colour should I paint the large rocks? Black/slate???

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Moola posted:

I have removed some of the large rocks, which have created indentations which I have gently filled with a little pva glue

Put some M&M's on the brownie.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Moola posted:

Slate to make it pop.

I did up a quick one for you as an example. I didn't mix poo poo into glue, I simply glued dirt onto a base, basecoated it was dark brown, did up the highlights, hit it with water effect and added a little brush for character.

Not as edible, but it looks swampish.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Drone posted:

Put some M&M's on the brownie.

motherfucker!!!

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
The texture makes it look like a carpeted cat tower and now I want a Titan-shaped cat tower.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Moola posted:

motherfucker!!!

Not giving GW money doesn't need to extend to not giving anyone money ever. Just buy a few bases.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not giving GW money doesn't need to extend to not giving anyone money ever. Just buy a few bases.

Brownie mix is just the base of a base. You have to add other flavors.

How to make this better; put hoses in each barrel so that you can squirt jam, custard, cream filling, chocolate syrup, and key-lime at people.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Moola posted:

The PVA glue thing worked on my WMH gator's swamp base, so that sounds good. So does slate for the rocks.

Can't see anything. TIMG in general hasn't been working for me lately.

Edit: Somehow restarting Firefox fixed it.

A Shitty Reporter fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 20, 2015

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

I remember that thread :allears:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

no!

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

You are playing into Big Tape's hands with your DIY bases, you fool.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
its just a test tbh

I'm gonna use plasticard when it arrives

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Moola posted:

I think what's missing is water. If you GIS muddy fields you'll get a range of muddy with a lot of dead field grass to outright muddy. The type you're going for has water in all the low parts which makes sense because that's what makes it muddy to begin with.

E: Pierrethemime's upper right base pic is a good example.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Wash and highlights, definitely. Sanding off the edges and painting them black will help a lot too. Some static grass in there would also be useful. Paint the rocks different shades of grey and brown, with a few smears of your mud basecoat.

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Not to intrude on chocolate baked goods chat but, the last of my oath.

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

And my Theme + Technical this doofus with the flag of my home state, one of my favorite places on earth, Kentucky. I don't know what's in those crates and barrels, but it's probably booze and guns.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Excellent job. That flag is magnificent. drill your barrels

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Sulecrist posted:

drill your barrels

:golfclap:

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
You know, Moola, there are other companies that make bases. I have a Chinese takeout carton (that's what they packaged them in) full of medium round bases made of MDF board. They used that flame cutting technique (or a really dull bandsaw blade) so smell real nice, like something cooked in an oven or a recent forest fire. I bought it from Grandiosities, (they made their own miniatures and had their own scifi game system, neat bunch of people) seems like some bad stuff went down because their website is gone. I guess he has a blog: http://johnnyborgcastings.blogspot.com

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm going to take a picture of a new base im working on, and you guys have to guess what its made out of

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Very, very nice.

Gaghskull
Dec 25, 2010

Bearforce1

Boys! Boys! Boys!

Aw, it no longer looks like a brownie.

Adbot