Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing I can really think of doing RE saints would be a posthumous trait getting added to the person plus a bunch of prestige and maybe some piety for the head of the dynasty.

I'm drawing a blank because it is early and I'm tired but I don't remember any people that were canonized while still alive.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Groogy posted:

That was what we were working with yes
What if the Cadaver Synod event backfires and one of the defendants proves himself to be innocent?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

It'd be great if there was a way to record which court chaplain converted a heathen group to Christianity. It'd also be good if you could record the ruler that chose to convert, or the spouse/concubine that lead them to convert. There you have three kinds of people to-be-made saints on death - but I have no idea how easy or viable any of this is. Probably not very.

Would also make sense if sainthood is granted to those with an incredibly high amount of piety upon death.

Certain states could have patron saints - some (for states already christian) would be set from the start. Others would be set as those conversion saints (or others) as the game progresses. Would be nice if the player has choice.

Again, I have no idea how viable any of this is. My guess is it's all fairly impossible.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Weren't Saints in CK1? Or was that something that DVIP added?

DVIP added an event where you petitioned the pope to saint a particularly pious ancestor. It wasn't a full mechanic or anything though, just a runestone-esque event that benefited your current character and honored your ancestor.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Question about Horse Lords and the Old Gods start: Do the Magyars still settle by event once they take Hungary or has that been removed in favor of the new system? I ask because I usually like mucking around in that region starting as Dyre the Stranger and I'd rather not have to fight their deathstacks again. Pre-HL I'd usually just avoid bordering them until their event troops got worn down.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I want to declare a subjugation war on Khazaria here (this is vassal mapmode) but I'm not sure what'll happen if I win. I'm assuming I don't vassalize the clans that are there, but do I get their land? There are no holdings here. The tooltip only mentions getting titles from the Khan of Khazaria.

e: Oh god my heir became Zikri and then I died. None of my lands are Tengri. I've only got a Sunni holding and a Buddhist holding. How do I convert back without a Tengri province?

e2: Figured it out. One of my clans was still Tengri and right clicking on them in the Clans tab let me become Tengri.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 20, 2015

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Larry Parrish posted:

So I've been giving out titles exclusively to dynasty members ever since I reformed into feudalism...

About 30 of those allies are called into his current war versus an OPM shithead in Italy.

40k troops total holy gently caress

That's why I love landing my dynasty. Sure, you sometimes end up with a lovely ruler and an entire realm of pretenders allied against him in a revolt, but watching them dump all that energy against others is wonderfully satisfying.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Saintly suggestions, if possible: there should be a trade off for who holds the top level holding on a saintly province. You can hold it yourself as a feudal holding with a bishopric beneath it, and make a shitload of money from local faithfuls paying tribute to the saint. However, in doing so, you are then subject to a lot of events from the locals who are petitioning you for blessings, good crop seasons, an influx of migrant believers creating population and religious unrest issues, defeat fantistical beings, remove curses, etc. Some will offer benefits to you, such as increased taxes, however, since you are not a saint and do not really have the power to make a good crop season, or cure somebodies blindness, you might also receive penalties.

Default decisions would have 2 possibilities: you do not spend piety to try and make this petition happen, and have a high chance of failure, or you spend some piety and the chance miraculously goes up a bit. Make them also take into account stats and traits, so if you are a particularly apt steward, you might be able to pull a few favours and somehow pull out a great crop season by shrewd farming policy, and get the positive result as well as a boost to piety. Another example is that a blind man comes over to receive absolution for his sins, and to be cured of his cursed blindness. If you take the no piety option and just say "yep, sure, you are cured", you will have a minor chance of success as the saint grants it, a major chance of nothing happening but a slight local unrest as people feel they have fallen out of favour with the saint who is now ignoring their pleas, and then another minor chance of going blind yourself. Taking the piety spending option will give a greater chance to cure him, and no chance of going blind yourself. Successful curing on both sides would give you a bonus to locals paying tribute, boosting taxes. A high learning stat, or a Scholarship focus, might give you an opportunity to use some experimental method of curing the local, at the cost of piety, but an extremely high chance of success comes with it, and a minor chance of catastrophic failure which kills the one petitioning you. Failure there would add a whole bunch of unrest to the province. Make the benefits of holding it yourself very nice, but potentially disasterous. Also, make the clergy hate you for holding it, and some disastrous results might lower moral authority of the faith, risking heresy.

There should be a base unrest to holding the province yourself, as that land should belong to the church as a holy site. Instead, if you give it to a theocratic ruler, making the bishopric the top level holding, you would receive different benefits and opportunities. Taxes would decrease, as they would go to the Pope, but you would receive a huge monthly piety bonus. Alongside that, you can now petition towards them to receive benefits yourself. You could pay them tribute, through piety or money, and receive a chance of a boon, such as a character modifier which gives troop morale, or huge benefits to church opinion, etc. The benefits of not holding it yourself would be smaller, but there would be much lesser risks, such as not being struck blind.

Also, add events for holding it as a lunatic, and events for granting it to a wicked priest. Infact, if you give it away, give some events a minor chance of the priest who holds it a chance of developing that trait. Perhaps if you hold it yourself, make a few different versions of similar petitioning events, where the individual comes seeking absolution for a different type of sin. Different severities would come with greater failure chance, but with even greater reward. That would make it feel less repetitious, as I imagine your 4th or 5th blind man seeking absolution for the same sin might get dull.

Also, for the blind man thing, add one rare variant. A man comes faking blindness, seeking false absolution to disprove the local saint or perhaps bribed to do so to stage a saintly healing, like in Gregory of Tours. There might be light clues in the description that the man is not really blind to tip the player off.

e; I cannot mod for poo poo, but, if you want anyone to help with things like testing, or coming up with event ideas or anything like that, I would be super into helping so if you make a mod for this, PM me

Another Person fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Jul 20, 2015

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Pierson posted:

Is there any way to force a religious conversion on your own character and from him to the rest of your rulings? I want to try an Ethiopian Jewish game but the only 'legit' start of those is impossible, being two small provinces that are immediately piled onto by its neighbours the second the game starts.

edit; This is ironman too so not a console command. Would I have to rely on pure luck?

If you go to the 1066 start (or up to 1081 IIRC) they control six counties, including the best duchy in the region. Much, much easier.

Jack Forge
Sep 27, 2012
Am I odd in that my first game in ck2 I played the hre and ended up with most of North Africa, Spain, France, Portugal, Norway, and Denmark?

Slowly making a game out of Ireland and the newly formed empire of Hispaniola (thanks random crusade). Not quite as good as my old Ireland to Britannia - aquitaine start that got patched out.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

SelenicMartian posted:

What if the Cadaver Synod event backfires and one of the defendants proves himself to be innocent?

How does this event work anyway? Does the pope have to be an immoral priest, or does that get applied to them posthumously as a result of the event, which has other things that trigger it?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Tulul posted:

If you go to the 1066 start (or up to 1081 IIRC) they control six counties, including the best duchy in the region. Much, much easier.
My hero.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I reformed the Tengri faith after finally doing well as a nomad. Upon doing so, I became nogovernment. I updated to the beta patch and it interpreted nogovernment as theocracy. So now I can't play my ironman save? Is there anyway to fix this or am I boned?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

TTBF posted:

I reformed the Tengri faith after finally doing well as a nomad. Upon doing so, I became nogovernment. I updated to the beta patch and it interpreted nogovernment as theocracy. So now I can't play my ironman save? Is there anyway to fix this or am I boned?

I'm guessing you didn't pass out the temples when I reformed Tengri as the Turks I had passed out all three of the temples I had built.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Man, people sure want their rapey-mods over at Pdox forums. :psyduck:
For fucks sake, if y'all mofos are gonna bring up drama, then at least link it. Not everyone can follow all the drama at the Pdox forums and you cant entice us like that and then leave us hanging. :colbert:

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Rumda posted:

I'm guessing you didn't pass out the temples when I reformed Tengri as the Turks I had passed out all three of the temples I had built.

I'm fairly sure I had already passed out all three temples before reforming, but I may have done that before realizing I was nogovernment. There's no real way for me to check now.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Just revert to a previous auto save.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Deceitful Penguin posted:

For fucks sake, if y'all mofos are gonna bring up drama, then at least link it. Not everyone can follow all the drama at the Pdox forums and you cant entice us like that and then leave us hanging. :colbert:

Here you go: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/extreme-content-policy.871567/

This guy is basically complaining that it's unfair for the Unhanded Tactics mod to be banned when the AGOT mod supposedly has rape and prima nocta as well.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Rumda posted:

Just revert to a previous auto save.

It's Ironman, so that's a no go. Loading it from the beta patch also means rolling back to the normal version doesn't work. I'll just have to restart.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

Here you go: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/extreme-content-policy.871567/

This guy is basically complaining that it's unfair for the Unhanded Tactics mod to be banned when the AGOT mod supposedly has rape and prima nocta as well.

AGOT has rape and slavery and a bunch of other unsightly crap, yet gets its own forum.

Personally I don't care for AGOT but that's because I hate the books, not the fact that the mod has rape and poo poo.

I did like his response about "The world not being black and white" and "its a case by case basis". :allears:

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

I think the difference is that the AGOT mod does not advertise that it has rape in it.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Swedish Horror posted:

I think the difference is that the AGOT mod does not advertise that it has rape in it.

That's probably it, but after last season of Game of Thrones there's no way you didn't know. :v:

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I am the Emperor of Hispania with a Jewish merchant republic vassal and I keep getting events to burn their trade posts down. Why do these keep popping up if they are my vassal?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

At first I was really surprised there was a special Cuman portrait pack since I thought they were basically just Turks. But then I did a bit of research and found out that I was being racist against Cumans since they apparently were very distinct from most of the other Turkic peoples and most of them had blonde hair. But from what I've seen the portrait pack doesn't really seem to reflect that.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 20, 2015

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Pierson posted:

Is there any way to force a religious conversion on your own character and from him to the rest of your rulings? I want to try an Ethiopian Jewish game but the only 'legit' start of those is impossible, being two small provinces that are immediately piled onto by its neighbours the second the game starts.

edit; This is ironman too so not a console command. Would I have to rely on pure luck?

Play as Haesteinn of Nantes in 867, use your huge event troops and stack of money and Norse CBs to take over as much of Ethiopia as you like,, then you can take a Jewish concubine to make yourself Jewish and switch your capital to an Ethiopian province to become Ethiopian.

EDIT: or you can use Tulunid Egypt to accomplish the same thing, except change religion using your capital instead of a concubine.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

I'm drawing a blank because it is early and I'm tired but I don't remember any people that were canonized while still alive.

:shrug:

That's because it's impossible by definition.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The idea of dynastic legacies affecting new characters would be cool though. Like if my first 10 rulers were all badass pious warriors, maybe random dynasty members should strive to do that more often, instead of just picking whatever random focus and doing things related to that forever.

IDK I guess that's really a Paradox AI issue. They never really seem to have goals which makes them more like forces of nature or walls than AI.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Larry Parrish posted:

The idea of dynastic legacies affecting new characters would be cool though. Like if my first 10 rulers were all badass pious warriors, maybe random dynasty members should strive to do that more often, instead of just picking whatever random focus and doing things related to that forever.

IDK I guess that's really a Paradox AI issue. They never really seem to have goals which makes them more like forces of nature or walls than AI.

Maybe if there was a way to have the game check traits for an ancestor (like their father) and play an event that suggests they should be more like them?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

I've always thought they should do more with dynasties. Mostly in terms of cadet branches and some sort of "legitimacy" mechanic tied to how long your dudes have been holding a title, but LP's dynastic character idea sounds rad as gently caress so let's do that too. Maybe overhaul dynastic prestige, too? In a lot of ways it seems like a better scoring mechanism for how the game wants to to play than the actual scoring mechanism. Nuance it up a bit and it could go a long way.

Sounds like enough meat to build a DLC around, to me. What do you think, Groogs? "Crusader Kings II: In The Blood"?

And then after that we can get an expansion fleshing out all the religions that haven't been fleshed out yet. :getin:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Maybe if there was a way to have the game check traits for an ancestor (like their father) and play an event that suggests they should be more like them?

There is the reincarnation mechanic, which I understand is basically that.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

And then after that we can get an expansion fleshing out all the religions that haven't been fleshed out yet. :getin:

If by that you mean "Add even more flavor to the Norse", then yes, I'm sure Groogy can do that.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

If by that you mean "Add even more flavor to the Norse", then yes, I'm sure Groogy can do that.

god

dammit :negative:

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

I've always thought they should do more with dynasties. Mostly in terms of cadet branches and some sort of "legitimacy" mechanic tied to how long your dudes have been holding a title, but LP's dynastic character idea sounds rad as gently caress so let's do that too. Maybe overhaul dynastic prestige, too? In a lot of ways it seems like a better scoring mechanism for how the game wants to to play than the actual scoring mechanism. Nuance it up a bit and it could go a long way.

Sounds like enough meat to build a DLC around, to me. What do you think, Groogs? "Crusader Kings II: In The Blood"?

I don't think there's any reason why you couldn't have an event pop which would check if your father/grandfather had any lifestyle or acheivement traits(poet, berzerker, impaler etc) and then have some effect based on that.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Strudel Man posted:

There is the reincarnation mechanic, which I understand is basically that.

I have never seen the reincarnation event occur so :shrug:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

I have never seen the reincarnation event occur so :shrug:
No, nor have I. The whole India region/religion group is kind of eh. But I understand that that's about what it's supposed to do, so it could potentially be turned to a purpose such as you describe.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
while people are sort of talking about DLC

from Groogy in the paradox forums posted:

This quote is getting taken out of context really fast so think I should make it straight. I agree on Doomdark's opinion of eventually adding China to CK2 and I was referring to what people were complaining on the forum for which were not actual arguments but just the same statements over and over again (performance, never interacted with, which are both non-issues as I continue to work on this). It is also not my job to agree with whatever Doomdark decides, a lot of the design for Horse Lords and expansions before it has been changed because of me or another team member disagreeing with him. Doomdark has the last word and the decision making power, but it does not make him the only creative person on the team.

:eyepop:

that said I'm pretty apprehensive about the possibility; even aside from performance and whatever, China kind of calls for several expansions worth of content, and I feel like there isn't the demand for them to do that.

I guess mods could fill that void at least

Lucky Guy
Jan 24, 2013

TY for no bm

I just claimed the last holdout province of India (or so I thought) I needed to become the Samrat Chakravartin, but...

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, I control every province in each of the three Indian empires, I'm a Hindu, and I'm from an Indian ethnic group. I do know the decision changed in the last patch (because I lost my first ironman attempt to do this when the patch hit) - it used to list controlling each separate kingdom as a requirement rather than simply "The India".

Also; Hinduism, go home, you're drunk.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lucky Guy posted:

I just claimed the last holdout province of India (or so I thought) I needed to become the Samrat Chakravartin, but...

Am I missing something? As far as I can tell, I control every province in each of the three Indian empires, I'm a Hindu, and I'm from an Indian ethnic group. I do know the decision changed in the last patch (because I lost my first ironman attempt to do this when the patch hit) - it used to list controlling each separate kingdom as a requirement rather than simply "The India".

Maybe there are some individual holdings in there you don't have for some reason? I don't really know much about how India works in this game but that's the most likely way I can think of for you not actually controlling everything you seem to own.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Lucky Guy posted:

Use the little province looking button that pops up at the top of the menu when you select a province to check regions, which apparently is what the decision checks now. Alternatively, you might be missing a barony somewhere, which is a common stumbling block for "control all of X" requirements.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Is there a quick way of checking for random baronies outside of your control or do you have to go through every county individually?

• Locked thread