Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

blackguy32 posted:

WARNING! Turn your volume waaaay down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaTKLs3PD6Y

He still does it for knockouts during stealth takedowns, but I don't think he does it out of grates anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Batman Beyond's rogues gallery wasn't the best, but dammit if I wouldn't play an Arkam Beyond game all day long if it looked like this.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Hav posted:

Thanks for the explanation. At the risk of creating a war, can anyone recommend Batman graphic novels _beyond_ Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing joke? I have more money to spend on comics now.

Batman R.I.P., and The Black Casebook. :getin:

AmbassadorFriendly
Nov 19, 2008

Don't leave me hangin'

^^^ He's got the right idea too. ^^^

Hav posted:

Thanks for the explanation. At the risk of creating a war, can anyone recommend Batman graphic novels _beyond_ Year One, Dark Knight Returns and Killing joke? I have more money to spend on comics now.

Just to mix things up with a few lesser known stories, Black and White are a bunch of short stories but are really good, Gothic is a good early Grant Morrison story, The Cult is the Deacon Blackfyre story and it's good, Shaman, The Man Who Laughs, Venom, The Black Mirror, Son of the Demon, and Destroyer are all good.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CuwiKhons posted:

Serious House isn't really edgy??? I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about, other than like, Batman getting slapped on the rear end.

I dunno, the part where Batman pushes a disabled dude down the stairs could count. That, and perhaps Morrison's interpretation of Maxie Zeus as a possibly gay electrofetishist. I didn't mind all of that -- it's all delivered cleverly -- but on paper it seems like a pretty lovely idea.

I'd really like to see more Maxie Zeus in that vein, actually. His redesign was pretty bitching.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jul 21, 2015

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

CuwiKhons posted:

Serious House isn't really edgy??? I'm honestly not sure what you're talking about, other than like, Batman getting slapped on the rear end.

I'm sorry, is Serious House on Serious Earth not the one where Clayface is an allegory for AIDS, Maxie Zeus is obsessed with poo poo, and Two Face can't even use the bathroom without his coin? Not being facetious, I may have it mixed up with another book. Yes Serious House inspired Arkham Asylum, but if I'm right, the game is better than the book.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

SonicRulez posted:

I'm sorry, is Serious House on Serious Earth not the one where Clayface is an allegory for AIDS, Maxie Zeus is obsessed with poo poo, and Two Face can't even use the bathroom without his coin? Not being facetious, I may have it mixed up with another book. Yes Serious House inspired Arkham Asylum, but if I'm right, the game is better than the book.

The art is dope, at least.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm reading up on some new DC stuff and holy gently caress what did they do to the Joker and who is to blame for making him some edgy high school nihilist philosopher's wet dream

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

SonicRulez posted:

I didn't even remember Clayface being in the book. Two-Face's thing is actually important and plot relevant and I really liked it, even if they did make an offhand mention of him pissing himself.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AmbassadorFriendly posted:

Just to mix things up with a few lesser known stories, Black and White are a bunch of short stories but are really good, Gothic is a good early Grant Morrison story, The Cult is the Deacon Blackfyre story and it's good, Shaman, The Man Who Laughs, Venom, The Black Mirror, Son of the Demon, and Destroyer are all good.

Yeah, Legends of the Dark Knight is a really good source of deep-cuts for Batman.

Also I'd really recommend Batman Confidential #49, except it's pretty annoying to find. It's a single issue story about what goes through Batman's head while he's investigating a relatively ordinary crime. It totally nails the detective aspect of the character in a way that very few other stories do, and looks great while doing it.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jul 21, 2015

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Calaveron posted:

I'm reading up on some new DC stuff and holy gently caress what did they do to the Joker and who is to blame for making him some edgy high school nihilist philosopher's wet dream

The continual and marketable public misinterpretation of Ledger's Joker.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm sorry, is Serious House on Serious Earth not the one where Clayface is an allegory for AIDS, Maxie Zeus is obsessed with poo poo, and Two Face can't even use the bathroom without his coin?

All that owns and Two-Face's arc is the best part of the book. It's one of the few Batman stories that actually tries to treat him sympathetically post-face scarring.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Calaveron posted:

Are you referring to him cutting off his own face and wearing it as a mask or him being a centuries old, immortal Slenderman?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jul 21, 2015

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Joker with a nihilistic streak is Alan Moore's doing in the Killing Joke, everyone's just escalated to "Clown Nietzsche". Even Origins got in on the act with Joker before he met Bats.

Him cutting off his face was retarded and probably the nadir of his career.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are you referring to him cutting off his own face and wearing it as a mask or him being a centuries old, immortal Slenderman?

Well, I only read about the face cutting, that second thing is new to me and beyond retarded.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Calaveron posted:

Well, I only read about the face cutting, that second thing is new to me and beyond retarded.

They backtracked on that real quick and the explanation now is that Joker edited himself into old photographs to gently caress with Batman.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I was semi interested in New 52 and it might have got me to start reading comics again and then I saw Joker cutting off his own face and realized (again) that comics will never ever change.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

He cut his face off and now he wears it as a mask? Thats like, a permanent thing?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

They backtracked on that real quick and the explanation now is that Joker edited himself into old photographs to gently caress with Batman.

I don't think they backtracked on it per se, I think Snyder always intended to have that kind of alternate explanation there. He's done that kind of ambiguity at the end of almost every one of his arcs too, right back to Black Mirror.

Fonzarelli posted:

He cut his face off and now he wears it as a mask? Thats like, a permanent thing?
It happened in one dumb book nobody should ever bother reading, then the character was left alone for a while, then there was a major arc where his face-mask thing was a big deal, then it was fixed (not ret-conned, just fixed). Then (after another story) he died. He is not actually dead.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I remember reading Hush and being super excited that harvey dent was cured. And for a year or two some writers actually told some interesting stories about that. And then STATUS QUO CHANGE and he's back to generic criminal acid face douchebag.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Oh my god I also remember reading that Joker's Daughter comic where she's like the member of a cult of people who live in the sewers and it was the most incomprehensible and hilariously lovely thing I'd ever read.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Thankfully you can see all these villains and more on Gotham while Bruce and catgirl are kids.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Gotham is quite possibly the worst show on TV right now.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

To give you some context for how bad Gotham is, I watched five seasons of Glee before I gave up on it, but I couldn't make it past like 5 episodes of Gotham.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

They had something interesting there with what they did with the Wayne murder, but no, they had to squander everything on Jim's crazy girlfriend.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Yeah the show is really really bad.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

The dialogue on Gotham legitimately made me rage. Awful attempt at 40s noir with all the subtlety of a sledgegammer and all the originality of a mid-season Magnum PI episode.

It is bad.

Go watch old episodes of batman beyond instead.

Anyone know if any of the batman beyond comic series are worth a look?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Goddammit this stupid game won't even load all the way it just flickers an----

oh hey 45-55 average FPS with everything turned up except the light beams. Thanks dude! This game looks insanely goddamn good when it's working and I am super glad fans have swooped in to save the day.

The problems came from WB hiring some non-rocksteady studio to do the PC port, right? Or is the whole debacle on Rocksteady?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

What's so bad about Gotham? I see the above complaints, but I'm curious for an example.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Anyone know if any of the batman beyond comic series are worth a look?

I read the one based on TAS and they were pretty good. They actually brought Blight back.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
How is Arkham Asylum:Living Hell? I'm not a comic book person but alot of the stuff I liked from Arkham Asylum seems to have come out of that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

How is Arkham Asylum:Living Hell? I'm not a comic book person but alot of the stuff I liked from Arkham Asylum seems to have come out of that.

It's a fun if sometimes silly book. It's certainly written with a more humorous tone than a lot of stuff.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

It's funny. Batman's barely involved in it - it mostly revolves around the inmates and the Arkham staff. It's the comic that created Aaron Cash, grade A shitwrecker, and Warren White, grade A douchebag.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

surc posted:

Goddammit this stupid game won't even load all the way it just flickers an----

oh hey 45-55 average FPS with everything turned up except the light beams. Thanks dude! This game looks insanely goddamn good when it's working and I am super glad fans have swooped in to save the day.

The problems came from WB hiring some non-rocksteady studio to do the PC port, right? Or is the whole debacle on Rocksteady?

Always blame WB, always. Rocksteady don't want to release a bad port that reflects on their image, WB didn't give a poo poo until Steam Refunds came along. The main problem was hiring another studio to do the porting and not giving them either the resources or time to handle it, not to mention they had no real experience with games of this quality.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I got four episodes into Gotham and stopped watching. Balloon Man was really loving funny though. But I don't think they intended it to be.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Holy poo poo this makes a massive difference.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't think they backtracked on it per se, I think Snyder always intended to have that kind of alternate explanation there. He's done that kind of ambiguity at the end of almost every one of his arcs too, right back to Black Mirror.

It happened in one dumb book nobody should ever bother reading, then the character was left alone for a while, then there was a major arc where his face-mask thing was a big deal, then it was fixed (not ret-conned, just fixed). Then (after another story) he died. He is not actually dead.

I think the face stuff with Joker was Tony Daniel's doing and drat was it pretty dumb. I really like Snyder from what I've read (Death of the Family, Court of Owls, and Black Mirror), but sometimes it gets too "edgy" for me. I think the first half of Owls up through the labyrinth is my favorite of his stuff so far. Capullo's art is gorgeous and helps make up for when the writing falls flat so it all works pretty well.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I think the face stuff with Joker was Tony Daniel's doing and drat was it pretty dumb.

No, it was Snyder. It happened in a Daniel book to begin with, but only because Snyder asked him to put it in as set up for Death of the Family.

E: Oh my god that utility from the Steam forums. Players have fixed the game before WB. Great job, guys who made the loving game.

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jul 21, 2015

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Haha oh man, a The Gray Ghost reference! God I love how these games tickle my batman-nerd.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/631978892439860291/7FFF4FE27320585B2D52F654758D68BA7500B7DC/

Also thanks for the clarification on WB being dumb is the problem. I assumed, but it was somewhat unclear from their incredibly vague announcements.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

Hav posted:

Batgirl/Robin Year One is pretty good

http://www.amazon.com/Batgirl-Robin-Year-Chuck-Dixon/dp/140124033X

Batman:Gothic is hilariously bad though, but it's worth the read if you want to laugh at how dark and edgy it is.

A mysterious figure is killing Gotham mob members. It turns out to be a medieval monk who sold his soul to Satan and needs to steal some souls before Satan comes for his payment. Batman realizes the monk is also the former headmaster of a school he attended as a child where the monk molested and sexually abused him. The story ends with Batman stopping the monk from stealing the souls of Gotham's population right as Satan shows up and drags the monk to hell.

http://www.amazon.com/Batman-Gothic-Grant-Morrison/dp/1401215491

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, apparently Deadshot kills Captain Boomerang in the Arkham Knight tie-in comics.

I don't really think that was necessary.

Nckdictator posted:

A mysterious figure is killing Gotham mob members. It turns out to be a medieval monk who sold his soul to Satan and needs to steal some souls before Satan comes for his payment. Batman realizes the monk is also the former headmaster of a school he attended as a child where the monk molested and sexually abused him. The story ends with Batman stopping the monk from stealing the souls of Gotham's population right as Satan shows up and drags the monk to hell.

This sounds like something I would expect to find on Fanfiction.net.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

MeatwadIsGod posted:

The art is dope, at least.

There are times when it looks okay and times when it doesn't. I think the artist went kinda insane. Giving everyone their own font was a neat idea, but that looks difficult to read. Granted that's just a scan.

Pirate Jet posted:

The continual and marketable public misinterpretation of Ledger's Joker.

All that owns and Two-Face's arc is the best part of the book. It's one of the few Batman stories that actually tries to treat him sympathetically post-face scarring.

One of the few? You mean literally all of them? That's Two Face's thing outside of when they just have him show up to be a random baddie in like a villain team up or something. Any Two Face centric stories focus on how tragic it is that the world lost the heroic Harvey Dent to the monstrous Two-Face. It's in The Dark Knight Returns, it's in The Dark Knight (movie), it's in this very game Arkham Origins. He's up there with Freeze for that.

Calaveron posted:

Having just re-read Death of the Family today, my issue isn't with Joker being a killer or a psycho or anything like that. It's always the scale that bothers me. Joker planning out these massive gambits to beat Batman that span across months if not years is just...not his character to me. Joker should not be able to take over Arkham Asylum. I mean yeah comics, but shouldn't someone just shoot him by now? Isn't chaos supposed to be his thing? Yet here he is managing to outwit the entire Bat Family with a year's prep time.

Re: Gotham

Did that show even stand a chance? Who wants to watch a show about Gotham with a prepubescent Bruce Wayne? It's not even like Gotham Central where you can focus on the villains, because it doesn't make sense for any of them to exist yet. I see that a big thing for Season 2 is for The Joker to appear. What purpose does Joker serve in any story without Batman?

• Locked thread