Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

WELL GEE THAT DIDN'T TAKE LONG AT ALL :shepicide:

TWIST FIST posted:

wait for a blood moon i guess

Kind of surprised there's no way to force those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why the moon lord keeps getting buffed with each mini patch. The moon lord is like the culmination of dumb bullet hell poo poo to where my eyes just start to glaze over and I just said gently caress it and linked a teleporter from my arena to a room with the nurse and just sat around shooting chlorophyte bullets until it died.

It's also compounded by the way that endgame bosses become increasingly silly to summon. Nobody wants to jump through a hundred hoops for just a chance to fight a boss and to then have to do it over again if they die.

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't make it so he targetted and killed NPCs nearby first already. Or at least the nurse.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Nuebot posted:

As much as I like 1.3 I'm not really feeling most of these patch notes aside from the medusa one. It feels lot like those times in say, FFXI, when they had a super hard boss no one could kill they'd get mad and buff it any time someone did manage to kill it because they were "exploiting" the game to do so. Maybe the problem is that people have to exploit the game to kill your boss, because it's not fun to fight. The moon lord is kind of a poo poo boss especially if you're a melee character and the cool factor wears out quick because it has such a ridiculous amount of health.

His attack patterns are way too complicated for a game like Terraria. The combat is horrible and has like no depth to it.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I'm surprised they didn't make it so he targetted and killed NPCs nearby first already. Or at least the nurse.

Well thanks man I know what the next patch is gonna be now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Million Ghosts posted:

Future Patchnotes:

Using the nurse during a boss fight despawns the boss and kills your character.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Kind of surprised there's no way to force those.

I feel the same way! Those and Slime Rains.

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah I'm not sure why the moon lord keeps getting buffed with each mini patch. The moon lord is like the culmination of dumb bullet hell poo poo to where my eyes just start to glaze over and I just said gently caress it and linked a teleporter from my arena to a room with the nurse and just sat around shooting chlorophyte bullets until it died.

It's also compounded by the way that endgame bosses become increasingly silly to summon. Nobody wants to jump through a hundred hoops for just a chance to fight a boss and to then have to do it over again if they die.

I'm no game dev so I'm bewildered too by this. First they started nerfing Developer yoyos which I didn't get since I thought the point of getting those was to be able to effortlessly tear through any enemies that you might encounter. At least they're not nerfing the weapons you get from killing the Moon Lord.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

Just wait until 3.0.9 where the True Eye of Cthulu can petrify you.

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jul 21, 2015

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

I feel the same way! Those and Slime Rains.

I'm no game dev so I'm bewildered too by this. First they started nerfing Developer yoyos which I didn't get since I thought the point of getting those was to be able to effortlessly tear through any enemies that you might encounter. At least they're not nerfing the weapons you get from killing the Moon Lord.

They weren't officially implemented before they got nerfed.

I'm surprised Yo-yos in general haven't gotten nerfed yet. And I really hope they don't. They're one of the few viable melee weapons now.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
red won't nerf his product placement

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Nuebot posted:

i actually like the idea of getting some free shots at him while hes busy killing all your npcs. it probably wouldnt be fun to play but itd be funny

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

i actually like the idea of getting some free shots at him while hes busy killing all your npcs. it probably wouldnt be fun to play but itd be funny

MoonLord will now have invincibility frames while targetting NPCs due to how players were exploiting that. You know who you are!

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Nuebot posted:

As much as I like 1.3 I'm not really feeling most of these patch notes aside from the medusa one. It feels lot like those times in say, FFXI, when they had a super hard boss no one could kill they'd get mad and buff it any time someone did manage to kill it because they were "exploiting" the game to do so. Maybe the problem is that people have to exploit the game to kill your boss, because it's not fun to fight.
The boss you're thinking of is Absolute Virtue. They kept nerfing or outright removing/making him immune to whatever players were using to kill him. Absolute Virtue Syndrome is a thing in the game industry.
"The beatings will continue until you ingrates play my game ~THE RIGHT WAY~."

E: not only would they keep removing ways to beat him, but they actively refused to tell players what ~THE RIGHT WAY~ was supposed to be. gently caress you for not being psychic, I guess

Malachite_Dragon fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 21, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The boss you're thinking of is Absolute Virtue. They kept nerfing or outright removing/making him immune to whatever players were using to kill him. Absolute Virtue Syndrome is a thing in the game industry.
"The beatings will continue until you ingrates play my game ~THE RIGHT WAY~."

Thank you, I keep thinking it's Pandemonium Warden for some reason but those two bosses are literally all I know about FFXI. Warden was the one people fought for so long they passed out, then? Or am I wrong again?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Million Ghosts posted:

I don't wanna be that guy but Terraria is sorta like Dark Souls. There's a couple bottlenecks you have to do but otherwise you can break sequence hard even if you'll probably get murdered doing so.

Skeletron is like Ornstein and Wall of Flesh is like Smough

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Anyone else notice the ducks occasionally quacking like a human? I think they snuck that in this patch.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Thank you, I keep thinking it's Pandemonium Warden for some reason but those two bosses are literally all I know about FFXI. Warden was the one people fought for so long they passed out, then? Or am I wrong again?

Pandemonium Warden was indeed the one people fought for so long they had to call it off when they had to sleep and/or go to the goddamn bathroom. Bonus: When the dev team did release how they'd killed Absolute Virtue themselves, their released info required violating their own loving games' TOS :shepface:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Pandemonium Warden was indeed the one people fought for so long they had to call it off when they had to sleep and/or go to the goddamn bathroom. Bonus: When the dev team did release how they'd killed Absolute Virtue themselves, their released info required violating their own loving games' TOS :shepface:

Since this is turning into a derail I'm going to just say that if it wasn't on a subscription model I'd totally play FFXIV just so I could see if it wound up getting any crazy poo poo like this.

kazil posted:

I would unironically like to see more dual bosses in Terraria. I was going to say "a dual boss" but then I remembered the twins existed, but I never had trouble with them personally. By the time I found an eye to summon them I was usually geared up to wreck them.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Didn't they before that also release a video giving some "hints", and by hints i mean "it was cut together so confusingly the only thing you could tell was that they used some certain abilities but not what for"?

Do you have a link to what their intended solution was, by the way?

Nuebot posted:

Since this is turning into a derail I'm going to just say that if it wasn't on a subscription model I'd totally play FFXIV just so I could see if it wound up getting any crazy poo poo like this.
FF14 does not, in fact, hate its players ever since A Realm Reborn.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

kazil posted:

1.3.0.7:

- Skeletron and his ol' friend Wall of Flesh team up: when one of them is defeated the other gains immediate buff:
-- Skeletron will increase in size 2 times and his hands will combine into an electrified bone spear, also gains an unlimited charge attack
-- Wall of Flesh will now cover the whole world height and use Skeletron's corpse as a giant club

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Zereth posted:

Didn't they before that also release a video giving some "hints", and by hints i mean "it was cut together so confusingly the only thing you could tell was that they used some certain abilities but not what for"?

Do you have a link to what their intended solution was, by the way?
Not off-handedly, but all this was a while back. It's been revealed/figured out how to kill him "The Right Way" and parties take him down regularly on every server now. A quick youtube search should be able to find the 'proper' way to do it- Using abilities on certain character classes in a certain order disables his abilities, as I recall.

LightningSquid
Dec 27, 2013
Anyone have any advice on killing Expert Plantera? I've got a decent arena and Chlorophyte armor but I can only get him to the second phase before he eats me alive.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

lordfrikk posted:

1.3.0.7:

- Skeletron and his ol' friend Wall of Flesh team up: when one of them is defeated the other gains immediate buff:
-- Skeletron will increase in size 2 times and his hands will combine into an electrified bone spear, also gains an unlimited charge attack
-- Wall of Flesh will now cover the whole world height and use Skeletron's corpse as a giant club

If you will it, it is so. Terraria is a monkey's paw, you rear end in a top hat.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

dis astranagant posted:

Instead it introduces and immediately abandons a throwing class, when they nerfed the poo poo out of all the good throwing weapons going into 1.3

I'm not going to say there's more than one good throwing weapon, or that it's not a huge pain in the rear end to get, and obviously I geared very specifically for melee damage, but throwing is pretty legit.

Now, would I use any other throwing weapon? Hell no. Maybe that possessed hatchet, I haven't tried yet.

Luckily, throwing is the same as melee, so I get use all manner of fun weapons.

Also, I keep that Clockwork rifle loaded with Ichor bullets so I can debuff my targets, though I should really just start making flasks more regularly.

Also-also, switching to the beetle armor for damage is pretty awesome. The beetle armor that adds a single hit of 45% damage reduction is stupid as hell.

LightningSquid posted:

Anyone have any advice on killing Expert Plantera? I've got a decent arena and Chlorophyte armor but I can only get him to the second phase before he eats me alive.

It sucks. Clear out a huge area in the jungle to fight in, and if you can, stack movement modifiers. I failed on my attempt to use a flooded arena with a moonshell, but that was going well until I left it. My third attempt I just got lucky as hell that I kept focus on dodging and whittled him down.

Tempora Mutantur fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 21, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Throwing would be kind of cool if it played by Final Fantasy rules and you could throw any melee weapon. Maybe make it so equipping a certain accessory turns the attack option into throw. Then have fun throwing meowmere at everything.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Daybreak is also Extremely Good, but that requires you to get the end game pillars.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So uh, I'm really new to this and seem stuck. I built myself a nice little boomtown, and decked myself out in iron armour and weapons, picked up some slight buffs here and there, but I can't seem to venture far without getting killed :(

Slimes and vultures now desintegrate before my mighty hammer, but antlion beasts just deck me with sewing machine speed before I can heal or hurt them, and forget about trying to stop a swarm of eater-of-souls.

I've already restarted on three worlds, and am not keen to build all that poo poo again. There must be some early game strategy that I'm aware of?

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Nuebot posted:

I would unironically like to see more dual bosses in Terraria. I was going to say "a dual boss" but then I remembered the twins existed, but I never had trouble with them personally. By the time I found an eye to summon them I was usually geared up to wreck them.

You can summon just about every boss at once if you want

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
YoYos are thrown

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

S.T.C.A. posted:

I'm not going to say there's more than one good throwing weapon, or that it's not a huge pain in the rear end to get, and obviously I geared very specifically for melee damage, but throwing is pretty legit.

There's a specific throwing weapon type for all those javelins, shurikens, bones, grenades, and molotovs out there. Fossil armor from the antlion desert gives you +20% throwing damage/projectile speed and a 50% chance not to use thrown items. The ninja armor from the slime king does the same thing with less chance to not consume ammo.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tias posted:

So uh, I'm really new to this and seem stuck. I built myself a nice little boomtown, and decked myself out in iron armour and weapons, picked up some slight buffs here and there, but I can't seem to venture far without getting killed :(

Slimes and vultures now desintegrate before my mighty hammer, but antlion beasts just deck me with sewing machine speed before I can heal or hurt them, and forget about trying to stop a swarm of eater-of-souls.

I've already restarted on three worlds, and am not keen to build all that poo poo again. There must be some early game strategy that I'm aware of?

If you're on expert, stop being on expert. Melee is pretty risky at the start, I'd recommend scoring a bow and some arrows. Don't go across the world too far, find a cave and start spelunking, you'll probably run into some chests which hopefully will have something useful.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

S.T.C.A. posted:

Now, would I use any other throwing weapon? Hell no. Maybe that possessed hatchet, I haven't tried yet.

Your image doesn't seem to have anything to do with your statement. The Possessed Hatchet is also a melee weapon.

Throwing is its own damage type now, but it's only good pre-hardmode, because the only armor that does anything to it tops out at 12 defense. And the bonus it gave was explicitly nerfed just prior to release.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

AND most of the good throwing weapons were nerfed before release. The best one, molotov cocktail, is now a total bitch to craft, does half damage and has a third more delay between throws.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Million Ghosts posted:

If you're on expert, stop being on expert. Melee is pretty risky at the start, I'd recommend scoring a bow and some arrows. Don't go across the world too far, find a cave and start spelunking, you'll probably run into some chests which hopefully will have something useful.

I've gone through quite a lot of chests, and sure, grenades, rope and recall potions are neat, but I already have a magic mirror and a book that lets me create vine rope, so..

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tias posted:

I've gone through quite a lot of chests, and sure, grenades, rope and recall potions are neat, but I already have a magic mirror and a book that lets me create vine rope, so..
You can get very useful gear you can't find anywhere else in chests, mainly gold ones (or frost/water/sky/etc). Keep looking.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

lordfrikk posted:

It's fun if there's a linear progression. It's even more fun if you can break it half when you know where to go and what to do.

Yeah. As a stubborn idiot who likes to at least do something resembling the normal progression I do still love it when there is the option to just go "gently caress it, PRO SHORTCUTS".

That said I really wish there wasn't that overall sense of "LOL you loving moron if you don't use something capable of shooting, even if it's a melee weapon".

Yay I built a lightsabre out of metors!... now now to never, ever use it because holy gently caress I actually took a stab at the Eye of Chtuulu and Eater of worlds with it, even with the AHK mouse spam script. gently caress this, space gun/looted musket/shuiriken/Silver staff/literally anything else but melee time.

I wasn't even in any danger since, you know. Meteor armor vs Eye and Eater. but god drat it felt like a million times more of a slog.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

TWIST FIST posted:

You can summon just about every boss at once if you want

Summoning reminds me of something really dumb that happened to me and a friend. We were in the middle of fighting the Moon Lord. "The Blood Moon Rises" and he vanishes. I don't think it was a night thing because I'm pretty sure we fought him at night before, I think random events just cancel him out because gently caress you.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Tias posted:

Just gotta pay the RNG game, and yeah you have better luck finding useful things in non-wood chests. If you can get to a tundra that'd be a good place to start looking. Ice slimes aren't any more threatening than normal ones and the loot is usually better there.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I think two accessories would make things much better just for quality of life: A Boomerang Glove that makes every melee weapon hurled, and an Autoswing Glove. Possibly tinkerable together.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Every other moonlord fight has involved an event kicking off. Blood moons, slime rains, solar eclipses and a single goblin invasion. No martian madness yet, but I doubt I'll fight moonlord again now I got all his drops. Kinda funny when I jump down off my platform and the Stardust Dragon has created a carpet of coins and items for me.

Dareon posted:

I think two accessories would make things much better just for quality of life: A Boomerang Glove that makes every melee weapon hurled, and an Autoswing Glove. Possibly tinkerable together.

No, you see the reason you could never have all weapons autoswing is because it would ruin the game due to the following reasons: :fart:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

King Doom posted:

No, you see the reason you could never have all weapons autoswing is because it would ruin the game due to the following reasons: :fart:

oh...i thought i just hadn't figured out how to toggle that on or something

that's disappointing

what is this, diablo 1?