Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clemocracy
Jul 21, 2015

by Ralp

Stormgale posted:

Generally side mission quests while levelling (For a long while) will just be that, consider 1-50 like the training stage of Teaching anyone how MMO's work, the MSQ tries to be interesting and at 50 and beyond quests start being a little different/substantive.

Got it figured that was the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Vile
Nov 25, 2009

And, where there is treasure, there will be Air Pirates.

kafziel posted:

Some fish, like corals, require Snagging to be set in order for them to be on the fishing table. Maps require that you turn on Snagging.
The two Hookset abilities are used when you've got a Patience buff up, to negate the miss chance from Patience. Precise is for tiny tugs, Powerful otherwise.
Fish Eyes reveals fish at holes that you can't fish up without Fish Eyes active. There might also be some holes that you can't even do without Fish Eyes? Unsure.

There is not a comprehensive list of what all you need Snagging or Fish Eyes to get, as far as I know.

So how do you tell what kind of fish needs which hookset? Is powerful exclusively for the ones that make that ominous creaking sound that sounds like it'll snap your rod in half?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Clemocracy posted:

I started playing a week ago and am level 15 and like it so far as a lancer. I know mmos start out slow but like all the quests are kill '5 of these things' or 'perform some insignificant chore'. When do the quests start to pick up and be more substantive?

The first primal fight is at 20, but I think the story doesn't kick into permanent high-gear mode until after Titan or so? So around 35.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Mr. Vile posted:

So how do you tell what kind of fish needs which hookset? Is powerful exclusively for the ones that make that ominous creaking sound that sounds like it'll snap your rod in half?

Tiny tugs use precision hookset, medium and big pulls use powerful hookset.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Mr. Vile posted:

You look at the tug animation.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Clemocracy posted:

I started playing a week ago and am level 15 and like it so far as a lancer. I know mmos start out slow but like all the quests are kill '5 of these things' or 'perform some insignificant chore'. When do the quests start to pick up and be more substantive? Wish I could paste swtor level story stuff to ff14s better mechanics.

You just got through 15 levels of "ok Japanese players, since you haven't played World of Warcraft and EQ for the last couple decades, here's how an online theme park mmo works." The level 15 main story starts having you do dungeons and generally picks up from there.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Clemocracy posted:

I started playing a week ago and am level 15 and like it so far as a lancer. I know mmos start out slow but like all the quests are kill '5 of these things' or 'perform some insignificant chore'. When do the quests start to pick up and be more substantive? Wish I could paste swtor level story stuff to ff14s better mechanics.

The story of the main quests and some of the side quests get really, really good the further you go in the game. In terms of what you are actually doing, never. It is always going to be punch some bears, collect some bear asses, touch this thing and they don't ever get fancy with it like WoW had in cataclysm and beyond..

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

How much GP do you have to make that practical? I'm currently sitting at a hodgepodge of stuff that adds up to just enough GP to use patience 2 until my LTW gets high enought o make me a new set (or red scrips include rightside).

I have 611 GP. If I wait to use Patience until I'm full, I can generally get away with using one of the Hookset skills for all but maybe two catches before the buff runs out. Then again I haven't put in the effort to get the rest of the way to 60 yet, so I'm still using unmelded level 55 leftside and 2.x melded accessories. I'm sure it'll work even better with melded / red scrip level 60 gear.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

The story of the main quests and some of the side quests get really, really good the further you go in the game. In terms of what you are actually doing, never. It is always going to be punch some bears, collect some bear asses, touch this thing and they don't ever get fancy with it like WoW had in cataclysm and beyond..

Though I'd like to add, this game isn't necessarily about questing as much as WoW is/was. The MSQ is a big deal, sure, but even that is mostly a way to get you into a bunch of dungeons and trials. At low endgame the focus isn't daily quests as much as daily random dungeons and trials; only one part of endgame really does daily fetch quest bullshit and it's eminently ignorable.

On top of that, yeah the boar rear end quests may not be too exciting but it's all really an excuse to push you through the narrative anyway, which is actually compelling and worth paying attention to.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Is there any type of guide out there of stuff to start farming / doing as soon as you hit 60?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Etrips posted:

Is there any type of guide out there of stuff to start farming / doing as soon as you hit 60?

Reddit has a good So You Just Hit 60 guide on google docs.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Ciaphas posted:

Reddit has a good So You Just Hit 60 guide on google docs.

This is perfect, thanks.

Griever
Jan 19, 2006

Everything has its beginning
I spent entirely too long remodeling my private room / funeral home. I never even go in it.

I should rent it out. Room 42, for your weirdest ERP needs.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I really wish rooms were bigger or you could buy side-rooms and poo poo, cause you have a terribly small space to work with.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
Is that a carbuncle clock!? And a carbuncle chair, tables, lamps, and even rugs. I didn't know how much I needed a house/room until now.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Velveteen posted:

Is that a carbuncle clock!? And a carbuncle chair, tables, lamps, and even rugs. I didn't know how much I needed a house/room until now.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

The chair is 100% all-natural skinned Carbuncle.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Does this game's subscription timer count down from the global 9am PT time or the time you register a new subscription? Basically will I be docked "1 day" if I subbed right now 9 hours before the global time reset?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I do not believe so. I believe that the timer counts from the moment you sub, as I have been kicked off the game at varying times of the day when my sub expires.

Jahuran
Jul 9, 2001
Patch notes are somewhat up at:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/maintenance/topics/detail/44dbad853713a8b307cc4745b8d28688cb23af11#bsm

As I expected and posted earlier new crafting AF is crafted. The new AF has different names for the new DoH jobs. Also new offhand and mainhand tools.

Goldsmith -> Gemmaster
Leatherworker -> Hidemaster
Culinarian -> Galleymaster
Weaver -> Boltmaster
Blacksmith -> Forge or Hammermaster (unsure)
Armorer -> Forge or Hammermaster (unsure)
Carpenter-> Millmaster
Alchemist -> Cauldronmaster

Red scripts have a maximum obtainable amount of 500 a week with the cap being 450. I expect materials needed for the new AF gear to be bought with red scripts. I.E. Raziqcoat

Also interesting there seem to be multiple new AF for the crafting jobs. I can see a Gemmaster's gown (ilvl170) and a Gemkeep's gown(ilvl180) in the list

Jahuran fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 21, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
[2.0] The PvP rank requirement for item level 100 and 110 PvP gear has been removed.

Hoo boy, time to get that PVP gear out of storage and grab some glamours

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I like the AST changes, especially changing Spire and Ewer into refresh effects, but I do kind of wish they had done a little something with noct sect too. Oh well, maybe in 3.1.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Oh my god it FLIES

I will be so sad if this is a Savage reward :saddowns:

E: Seems like AF2 has their own weapons, didn't really think about that. ilvl 200/210 upgradeable, so I'm guessing we'll be able to buy esoteric weapons in addition to the savage alex weapons just being 210...?

Minera fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 21, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Oh nice, you can buy law upgrade items with law tomes now.

Esoterics gear is 200, upgraded alex gear is 210.

The new pvp mode actually sounds pretty fun!

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Minrad posted:

[2.0] The PvP rank requirement for item level 100 and 110 PvP gear has been removed.

Hoo boy, time to get that PVP gear out of storage and grab some glamours

This is the absolute best thing about the patch, holy crap. I was definitely not expecting that.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Enochian got fixed! And thunder spells all got a 10-15% boost, plus a 10% chance to proc Thundercloud per tick. Still not sure tcloud is worth casting but it's something.

I don't know what this is but I want it so much.

vOv fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Jul 21, 2015

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

vOv posted:

Enochian got fixed! And thunder spells all got a 10-15% boost, plus a 10% chance to proc Thundercloud per tick. Still not sure tcloud is worth casting but it's something.

I don't know what this is but I want it so much.

Rank 50 PvP gear. Have fun with that.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Bland posted:

Rank 50 PvP gear. Have fun with that.

gently caress my liiiiiife

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
Huh, why on earth is Ultimate Ballad required for Savage? I haven't done it before. I guess maybe I'll be able to get a sub-hour DF queue for it if other people are doing it but I'm not holding my breath.

Wasn't really going to do Savage anyways because I don't have a static, so I guess it doesn't matter :smith:

e: whoa you can buy Doman items with law now? is this them admitting that hunts are a super unfun mechanic or what

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Jul 21, 2015

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

Huh, why on earth is Ultimate Ballad required for Savage? I haven't done it before. I guess maybe I'll be able to get a sub-hour DF queue for it if other people are doing it but I'm not holding my breath.

Wasn't really going to do Savage anyways because I don't have a static, so I guess it doesn't matter :smith:

Savage Alex is a wanderering minstrel retelling like savage second coil isn't it? Pretty sure you had to do ultima hard for that too.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

abraham linksys posted:

He's kinda a catchall for harder content they can't really explain away via the lore. Scob Savage was a minstrel quest too.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jahuran posted:

Also interesting there seem to be multiple new AF for the crafting jobs. I can see a Gemmaster's gown (ilvl170) and a Gemkeep's gown(ilvl180) in the list

My armory space :smith:

edit: Guess the savage release will give me a chance to finally do Ultimate Ballad.

Freaksaus fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jul 21, 2015

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Jahuran posted:

Patch notes are somewhat up at:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/maintenance/topics/detail/44dbad853713a8b307cc4745b8d28688cb23af11#bsm

As I expected and posted earlier new crafting AF is crafted. The new AF has different names for the new DoH jobs. Also new offhand and mainhand tools.

Goldsmith -> Gemmaster
Leatherworker -> Hidemaster
Culinarian -> Galleymaster
Weaver -> Boltmaster
Blacksmith -> Forge or Hammermaster (unsure)
Armorer -> Forge or Hammermaster (unsure)
Carpenter-> Millmaster
Alchemist -> Cauldronmaster

Red scripts have a maximum obtainable amount of 500 a week with the cap being 450. I expect materials needed for the new AF gear to be bought with red scripts. I.E. Raziqcoat

Checking the Eorzean database there appear to be two versions of each DoH/DoL AF: a 170 meldable crafted version and a 180 non-meldable version that has an unknown source. Probably scrips.

So there seems to be two tiers: one for the rich-as-all-gently caress player who can afford to craft (return of Demimateria) and meld each piece, and one who wants to grind out scrips to acquire pieces that are probably less good than max melded stuff but still appear to be quality items.

Example:

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jul 21, 2015

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Looking over the AST changes, Lightspeed went from being g a trap skill to something you won't cancel after the first cast when used as a ghetto Swiftcast.

Not sure how I feel about the MP reduction of Ewer being turned into a Refresh, though. A lot of BLMs just got very unhappy over that.

Also not sure why they switched the Royal Road effects of Ewer/Spire and Arrow/Spear, unless the chances of getting each card is not actually equal. Would certainly explain why I draw and shuffle seven Ewers in a row.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 21, 2015

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
We're talking about rooms? :v:

Argas posted:

I really wish rooms were bigger or you could buy side-rooms and poo poo, cause you have a terribly small space to work with.

Thats a super nice use of that ceiling light, I almost never see it fit a room's theme. And yeah, I wish rooms were a bit bigger, especially since they're taking their sweet time to release new wards.

Magil Zeal posted:

Checking the Eorzean database there appear to be two versions of each DoH/DoL AF: a 170 meldable crafted version and a 180 non-meldable version that has an unknown source. Probably scrips.

So there seems to be two tiers: one for the rich-as-all-gently caress player who can afford to craft (return of Demimateria) and meld each piece, and one who wants to grind out scrips to acquire pieces that are probably less good than max melded stuff but still appear to be quality items.

Example:

This is interesting, people were going crazy with theories about how they were gonna handle it the other day.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jul 21, 2015

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

On the one hand ARGH MY ARMORY RETURN OF A BILLION DOH/DLH PIECES

on the other hand, thank god that there's a decent alternative to melding hq poo poo

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Esoterics can indeed be traded for ilvl 200 weapons. They cost 990, or just under two weeks' worth.

e: good news whm they added pants finally!

HAHAHAHA NOPE they're a miniskirt if you're female :suicide:

e2: man I'll stop raving about the esoterics loot before I lose my mind. Machinist's AF2 weapon is a loving sawed off shotgun :allears:

e3: 5 minute pvp queue!

Minera fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 21, 2015

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Minrad posted:

Esoterics can indeed be traded for ilvl 200 weapons. They cost 990, or just under two weeks' worth.

It's just over two weeks actually, since the weekly cap is 450.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
So, if you're not doing Savage, is the Esoterics gear kind of the last grind until 3.1? Like, Esoterics gear is all better than the story Alexander gear, so the only reason to run Alexander at this point is if you like the way that set looks, I guess? This is all confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c

abraham linksys posted:

So, if you're not doing Savage, is the Esoterics gear kind of the last grind until 3.1? Like, Esoterics gear is all better than the story Alexander gear, so the only reason to run Alexander at this point is if you like the way that set looks, I guess? This is all confusing.

Alexander is awesome and the gear looks awesome and you can use it to fill the gaps from esoterics weekly limits.

• Locked thread