Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

milkaxor posted:

There are definitely a lot more. Their numbers don't include in person or international. I don't know why people were ever following their numbers to begin with. I guess it was a matter of "Apple isn't giving us anything so we'll publish whatever we can find."

I love my watch as well.
Their numbers are estimations based on their data applied to a larger subset.

Just because you don't have a Neilsen ratings box on your TV doesn't mean you're not included in their totals.

I mean it's clearly just a rough estimate and the actual number could vary wildly, but there's a reason their data is reported by all the reputable sites. It's not like they're just scanning their data and going "well looks like we've got 1.2 million Apple Watch receipt emails so I guess that means they've sold exactly 1.2 million of them so far!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

coldplay chiptunes posted:

Their numbers are estimations based on their data applied to a larger subset.

Just because you don't have a Neilsen ratings box on your TV doesn't mean you're not included in their totals.

I mean it's clearly just a rough estimate and the actual number could vary wildly, but there's a reason their data is reported by all the reputable sites. It's not like they're just scanning their data and going "well looks like we've got 1.2 million Apple Watch receipt emails so I guess that means they've sold exactly 1.2 million of them so far!"

Yeah but the 90% number was reported without the context that they have no visibility into retail. They even acknowledge that, but you know tech journalism.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

milkaxor posted:

There are definitely a lot more. Their numbers don't include in person or international. I don't know why people were ever following their numbers to begin with. I guess it was a matter of "Apple isn't giving us anything so we'll publish whatever we can find."

I love my watch as well.
Well my less argument would be that they're extrapolating from people using Slice, which might be skewed more towards early adopter types than the general population and would throw off their huge early estimate.

coldplay chiptunes posted:

there's a reason their data is reported by all the reputable sites.

MrBond posted:

tech journalism.
Pretty much.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, even if their numbers are accurate, the actual drop in sales (following the initial rush) isn't until they announce in-store sales. I wonder where those online orders went...

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

io_burn posted:

So we're all in agreement that wearing the Apple Watch around water and potentially swimming in a lake is A-OK? I know a lot of people did water tests when it first came out, but I don't know what the final consensus was beyond "Hey, neat, it works I guess."

This guy just released a report on using the watch while swimming, I just skimmed it but the main issue seems to be that water rushing past the screen can activate swipes, and that you can't use the screen underwater. I thought that was interesting. It seems the issue isn't how waterproof it is but rather how the screen reacts to water like it's somebody touching the screen.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

io_burn posted:

So we're all in agreement that wearing the Apple Watch around water and potentially swimming in a lake is A-OK? I know a lot of people did water tests when it first came out, but I don't know what the final consensus was beyond "Hey, neat, it works I guess."
Just saw this today:
http://furbo.org/2015/07/14/a-watch-water-and-workouts/

One thing I was wondering about was salt water but it sounds like it's fine just as long as you're good about washing afterwards. Basically it seems to survive it fine, but there's usability issues cause water and capacitive screens don't really mix. Well that and he's using the aluminum one, I don't know if there'd be a difference with the steel casing.

(Well efb but think of it as a repost for the new page :downs:)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Zwille posted:

This guy just released a report on using the watch while swimming, I just skimmed it but the main issue seems to be that water rushing past the screen can activate swipes, and that you can't use the screen underwater. I thought that was interesting. It seems the issue isn't how waterproof it is but rather how the screen reacts to water like it's somebody touching the screen.

Capacitive touchscreens not working with water is nothing new. Try dropping a few droplets of water on an iPhone screen and touching the icon directly behind it. The phone won't know what to do.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Yeah I'm aware of that - neither does touch ID work - but I was surprised water rushing past the screen would trigger swipes.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Ohh sorry I misread. Yeah that is interesting.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

Prediction: Apple Watch will sell very well at first, but in a few months will no longer have any supply constraint.

Ship times for all non-Edition Apple Watch models improve to one day in US

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Different from any other product that ever existed?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I forgot to charge my watch two nights ago and the following day it wasn't until I was driving home from work that I got the 10% battery alert. From my perspective, battery isn't just adequate on this thing, it's impressive.

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

OMGzKakaniz posted:

I've seen a couple of pics around of this same thing happening within the past day. Hopefully won't become very widespread.

Just got back from the store and the Genius that helped said he'd never seen it, and asked some of the other geniuses and they'd never seen it either.

That said, if your watch breaks, go to Apple support online and mail it in. After waiting for 4 days for an appointment (which would only have been two days if I didn't have a crazy schedule this week) I now get to wait 3-5 more days for them to just mail the watch in for me, which starts tomorrow by the way because they've already done their shipping for today. I don't even get the privilege of having it sent directly to me, I'll have to go back over to the store.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
That sucks man. I guess they don't want to keep units in stores for replacement purposes. Not yet at least.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Shin-chan posted:

Just got back from the store and the Genius that helped said he'd never seen it, and asked some of the other geniuses and they'd never seen it either.

That said, if your watch breaks, go to Apple support online and mail it in. After waiting for 4 days for an appointment (which would only have been two days if I didn't have a crazy schedule this week) I now get to wait 3-5 more days for them to just mail the watch in for me, which starts tomorrow by the way because they've already done their shipping for today. I don't even get the privilege of having it sent directly to me, I'll have to go back over to the store.

Strange, I wonder why they didn't capture it for engineering and just give you a new one.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Hasters posted:

Strange, I wonder why they didn't capture it for engineering and just give you a new one.

Because that's not how it works. All apple watch repairs get sent to depot.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
Unpaired and returned my watch over a month ago and it still shows up under My Devices on icloud.com. The "Remove Device" link just gives an error saying to try again later. Anyone else have this issue?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's impressive you got such a bold prediction correct. I have one of my own: the sun will come up tomorrow.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Endless Mike posted:

It's impressive you got such a bold prediction correct. I have one of my own: the sun will come up tomorrow.

Not for that one goon in Antarctica :colbert:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I forgot to charge my watch two nights ago and the following day it wasn't until I was driving home from work that I got the 10% battery alert. From my perspective, battery isn't just adequate on this thing, it's impressive.

Yeah, I have the 38mm which has the smaller battery and I've never had to worry about it either. The only time it ever asked about going into power reserve was one day when I did an extra-long workout, typical daily use almost never takes me below 20%.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
After 18 hours I'm usually at 47%. Yes specifically 47%. It's weirdly consistent.

In other news, I got this 3rd party stainless steel band. It's decent, not as nice as Apples and a bit more bulky, but it's also 1/15th the price.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

This is me but with THAT loving STAND RING.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

ultramiraculous posted:

This is me but with THAT loving STAND RING.

I have the opposite problem with the stand ring:

> Wake up at 6:00AM to feed the cats
> Put on watch
> Get back in bed
> Sleep in until 10:00AM (it's the weekend)
> Look at stand rings
> STOOD THREE TIMES

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Beta 3 loosened up the requirements for what constitutes exercise. When I was on 1.0.1, I could walk or use the treadmill for 30 minutes and maybe, if I was lucky, get credit for a minute or two of exercise. In beta 3, I get 10-15 minutes of "exercise" just going about day-to-day tasks. I think they're trying to zero in on a sane threshold for counting activity as exercise.

Of course, my thought process is "when I say I'm exercising by using the exercise app, count that as exercise". But Apple is being clever.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Ithaqua posted:

Beta 3 loosened up the requirements for what constitutes exercise. When I was on 1.0.1, I could walk or use the treadmill for 30 minutes and maybe, if I was lucky, get credit for a minute or two of exercise. In beta 3, I get 10-15 minutes of "exercise" just going about day-to-day tasks. I think they're trying to zero in on a sane threshold for counting activity as exercise.

Of course, my thought process is "when I say I'm exercising by using the exercise app, count that as exercise". But Apple is being clever.

With Beta 3, I'll be sitting on the T and I'll get a "30 minutes of exercise complete!" message, even thought I'm sitting down on the subway. :shrug:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm pretty sure mine is reading my driving as moving.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
One thing I really wish they would consider is having days where you don't wear the watch not count toward your daily activity averages. Anytime I wear a normal watch, that day is considered basically zero activity even though my Apple watch and iPhone should both be aware I'm not wearing it and thus that can't be considered an accurate read on my activity level.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 20, 2015

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Hasters posted:

Picked up "my" watch from the store today. Was greeted with "Oh, looks like they decided to just give you a new one." So glad I waited 4 days for that.

Space Racist posted:

One thing I really wish they would consider is having days where you don't wear the watch not count toward your daily activity averages. Anytime I wear a normal watch, that day is considered basically zero activity even though my Apple watch and iPhone should both be aware I'm not wearing it and thus that can't be considered an accurate read on my activity level.

That's the gimmick to shame you to always wear the apple watch! (Can't you just use the activity app with the iPhone? I thought that was the deal with the motion processor, but I don't have an iPhone 5s or newer. Maybe you don't either.)

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Shin-chan posted:

Picked up "my" watch from the store today. Was greeted with "Oh, looks like they decided to just give you a new one." So glad I waited 4 days for that.

That's the gimmick to shame you to always wear the apple watch! (Can't you just use the activity app with the iPhone? I thought that was the deal with the motion processor, but I don't have an iPhone 5s or newer. Maybe you don't either.)

The activity app only registers input from the watch itself. You could walk miles with the phone by itself and you'd still only have empty rings.

The motion processor in the phone does still link to the health app, but that doesn't cross over to the activity app at all as far as I can tell.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Anandtech review: http://anandtech.com/show/9381/the-apple-watch-review

Don't forget to read the comments :laugh:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

japtor posted:

Don't forget to read the comments :laugh:

Oh good god why did I do that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man android users get so mad at anything Apple. The gizmodo comments section is the same way whenever they post about Apple. I don't read Android stories, but do Apple users do the same thing?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Man android users get so mad at anything Apple. The gizmodo comments section is the same way whenever they post about Apple. I don't read Android stories, but do Apple users do the same thing?

There are awful internet nerds for everything, of course there are awful pro-Apple internet nerds.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

MarcusSA posted:

Oh good god why did I do that?

The guy that writes the term paper length screeds is just amazing. It's so long that I think he genuinely believes all of it. I can't imagine a troll being that dedicated.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

MrBond posted:

The guy that writes the term paper length screeds is just amazing. It's so long that I think he genuinely believes all of it. I can't imagine a troll being that dedicated.

Didn't Samsung used to pay commenters to astroturf Apple comment sections? Something about the inanity of that made me wonder if that was the case.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Piquai Souban posted:

Didn't Samsung used to pay commenters to astroturf Apple comment sections? Something about the inanity of that made me wonder if that was the case.

I think they also hired people to stand in line outside their stores "Apple style" to "create buzz" when they launched a phone last year. Or hired actors to fill the store up to make it look busy, or somesuch.

There are twats on both sides of the fence, but on the whole Apple fanbois are smugger and Android fanbois are geekier.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Croc Monster posted:

There are twats on both sides of the fence, but on the whole Apple fanbois are smugger and Android fanbois are geekier.

I never really thought about it, but yeah, this is pretty right on.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
My favorite response to Android fans. "If I was in that ecosystem I would totally have that phone/tablet/watch" :smuggo:

gohmak fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Croc Monster posted:

I think they also hired people to stand in line outside their stores "Apple style" to "create buzz" when they launched a phone last year. Or hired actors to fill the store up to make it look busy, or somesuch.

Last year LG gave a away a bunch of free phones (Like hundreds and hundreds) to people willing to stand in a fake line to "buy" a phone on launch day. I did it, they kept us in a holding room, made us sign media releases and then made us get into a line that that they had ordered us in while we were in the holding room. It was all rather weird but free phone. :toot:

• Locked thread