Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
I'm looking for a specific kind of niche tower defense - one with significant RNG elements. I'm absolutely crazy about the SC2 customs Gem Tower Defense and Lottery Defense. Both of them essentially randomize the tower/unit you buy and your goal is to be lucky enough to get specific ones that combine into stronger units/towers. The combining is nice, but I think what gets me is the random element. Anyone know of anything like this on Android (or any platform honestly)?

Hell, I'd even settle for a non-TD game with a similar reward loop.

Edit: Also, whats the best cookie clicker-esque piece of poo poo to occasionally check on while I'm working nights?

Fruit Chewy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cyberia posted:

What games (besides Alphabear and this DBZ thing) are people enjoying at the moment?

Anything that doesn't need an internet connection to play is a plus :shobon:
I went back to playing 2048 again except 5x5.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

precision posted:

It's better than pages of friend codes :shobon:

This a thousand times. The last 10+ pages have been loving friend codes for some DBZ dating game or some Gems Matching Dating game.

I realize this is the Android Gaming thread but :fuckoff: and make a PGS thread or something.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Fruit Chewy posted:

Edit: Also, whats the best cookie clicker-esque piece of poo poo to occasionally check on while I'm working nights?

Idle Oil Tycoon or Adventure Capitalist, depending on how you like your toast buttered.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New megarule? If you're just posting a referral code or guild request, you must also post a picture of a robot playing a game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

New megarule? If you're just posting a referral code or guild request, you must also post a picture of a robot playing a game.

This morning Alphabears gave me "All hail the Hypno-Toads!" and I hit Refresh before I could save it. :\

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'm looking for a specific kind of niche tower defense - one with significant RNG elements. I'm absolutely crazy about the SC2 customs Gem Tower Defense and Lottery Defense. Both of them essentially randomize the tower/unit you buy and your goal is to be lucky enough to get specific ones that combine into stronger units/towers. The combining is nice, but I think what gets me is the random element. Anyone know of anything like this on Android (or any platform honestly)?

Hell, I'd even settle for a non-TD game with a similar reward loop.

You might want to try MazebertTD, which is not only impenetrable, but also basically 100% random as far as when and what you get to build.

Getimmaaw
Dec 22, 2006
I must be missing something obvious but how do you activate dokkan mode once the meter is full?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

Getimmaaw posted:

I must be missing something obvious but how do you activate dokkan mode once the meter is full?

You have to hit a special attack to set it off.

On the subject, Z-Awakening Super Rares is loving rough. It's not hard to get the tokens if you have a good team of the element that has an advantage. My Teq team led by the event Gohan runs pretty well on Hard. The only real problem is that you need the prospective character at max level and it costs a ton, on the order of 560,000 Zenni to do all four slots. 250k of that is the super rare medals. Even rares are tough, since they need to be at level 40 and that takes a while. I'm working on a Rare AGI Videl I got to put her in with Vegeta, but it took most of my stuff to get her to 36.

Anyone had any cards particularly impress them? I'm finding this SR Burter I got early on to be really strong. He gets +2 Ki if you put him first in line, which combines gorgeously with Vegeta's leader ability. He hits his special if you can get a 5-chain and he goes first. I have a SR AGI Goku that gets +25% attack when he has a 5 or higher Ki meter, too. The real drawback is that Burter only has a handful of links, same with Vegeta.

It's actually really fun to tinker with teams. I'm about to try out a team with Vegeta, Goku, Burter, Recoome, Videl, and Nappa. Good set of links. Goku's the odd man out, but it's an SR Goku, I'm not sure I need to worry.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
I have a pretty fun team setup right now. I fully awakened an R tien into an SR and his stats are ridiculous, plus he has one of those extreme damage super attacks. Combining him with a chiaotzu and a mercenary tao makes an awesome crane school setup that hits like 7-8 links between the three of them if they get the same lineup. Just tien and chiaotzu hit like 5 I think.

e: Yeah I'm working on fully awakening my AGI vegeta. I got all the medals but it's such a huge amount of money and besides that just leveling him up to max is going to take forever. He'll be a total boss though.

Trainmonk fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 20, 2015

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I have a R Chi-Chi and a R Krillin, both lvl 40 Awakened with 2/3 stars (lack Roshi tokens). Chi-Chi is better in two of the three categories- Krillin has her beat by 500 HP. Kinda thought that was funny since Krillin is still a fighter technically and Chi-Chi hasn't fought since Dragonball.

Also, SR Zarbon is lovely.. I keep him around since he's SR Physical and I don't have any other Physical people in my group, but goddamn.. at lvl 40 his attack is only 1955. Even Krillin's is 2584.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I have sort of hit a wall, though. That Ginyu Force level is a slog, and so is the final area of Cell's chapter on Hard. Not quite sure where to work on that.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007
One thing that has made a huge difference for me was actually paying attention to what color enemy is going to hit which of my team members. I was dumb and didn't pay attention early on because I was blowing through everything anyway but now it's the difference between having to heal multiple times a board or not even once.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Edit: ^^^ I really have to get better about that.

Echophonic posted:

I have sort of hit a wall, though. That Ginyu Force level is a slog, and so is the final area of Cell's chapter on Hard. Not quite sure where to work on that.

You just have to keep grinding. Training, Awakenings, make sure you're getting the Dragon Balls and making those wishes. The game is TOTALLY doable without paying a penny - I've done it and I'm way beyond the area you're talking about - but it's just dumb luck.

I just wish there was a way to buy healing items for Zeni. The enemy hits like a goddamn truck with their Supers. My max life is somewhere around 25k, and a normal attack can do 5k damage and a super does like 15k.. But you have to get lucky enough to get actual healing support items and not some Videl or tournament announcer bullshit stuff or wait for a weekly or something.

Everyone wants the SSR's but what they don't tell you is training them is a loving bitch and a half. They're SO expensive to do anything with.

In other news though, I just got a SR Burter from a random pull, and I had a R Ginyu and R Recoome sitting around. Hate that I got rid of my Guldos for training purposes, I could start a Ginyu Force team.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
New Humble Bundle!

Oh... It's all SNK games that generally require precise controls... :suicide:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Zorblack
Oct 8, 2008

And with strange aeons, even death may eat a burrito with goons.
Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting in to this Dragonball Z action. Sent out some friend requests.

My number is 1073365589, in game name is Zorblack.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Dragon Blaze getting a pretty major patch tonight.

http://m.gamevilusa.com/forums/showthread.php?258360-Notice-Patch-Notes-07-20-15&p=748216#post748216

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Zorblack posted:

I'm getting in to this Dragonball Z action. Sent out some friend requests.

My number is 1073365589, in game name is Zorblack.

You forgot something:

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
"Sheep-based math puzzler" Divide By Sheep is out now on the Play Store.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Niton posted:

You might want to try MazebertTD, which is not only impenetrable, but also basically 100% random as far as when and what you get to build.

I have no idea what the gently caress I'm doing but I'm enjoying this game. Thanks for the remarkably spot-on recommendation!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone play Warhammer Quest? I have fond memories of Heroquest and apparently that's a successor?

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Len posted:

Anyone play Warhammer Quest? I have fond memories of Heroquest and apparently that's a successor?

I too want to know this. I have some google bucks to waste.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Len posted:

What the... Wasn't that iOS only last I checked? Thanks for pointing this out, been meaning to pick it up once it hit Android. Haven't bought it yet but will give it a whirl once I've finished my current playlist.

In other Warhammer news, 40K's Space Wolf is finally out for non-Apple whores. Played through a couple missions, I guess you could call it a fusion of Hearthstone, X-Com and Blood Bowl.

Also it's free, so there's that for broke-rear end goons!

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

Len posted:

I've been waiting on goon opinions, the google play comments all suggest that it's rotten with expensive IAP but :shrug:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The original Hero Quest was amazing, I wish someone would do a straight port of that to Android, just the original boxed levels and the little "expansions" that added like the Elf and Dwarf classes and had you fight the Lich King or whatever. Give it asynchronous multiplayer and :allears:

edit: why in holy hell is there not a Cosmic Encounter for phones

precision fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 21, 2015

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Fellow Dragon Ball Z: Doki Doki Panic players: I have no idea if the game actually tells you this, but you can press and hold and it'll show you what the chain you're picking looks like. That is really useful and I just figured it out, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else missed it. Nice for seeing where rainbow orbs are going to change.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Gems of War chat:

I think Gem boys has a couple spots open. Post your friend code and a robot!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

tentacles posted:

In other Warhammer news, 40K's Space Wolf is finally out for non-Apple whores. Played through a couple missions, I guess you could call it a fusion of Hearthstone, X-Com and Blood Bowl.

Also it's free, so there's that for broke-rear end goons!

That thing made my Nexus 7 burn like hell.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Is there a list anywhere of which alphabears can be earned in each level?

e: the game's artist shared this nice desktop sized image with me of all the bears, not sure if it's shown up anywher else, but I don't know that they're in any kind of order.

uranium grass fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jul 21, 2015

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Episode one of Telltale's Game of Thrones is on sale for a measly 10p/0.20AUD/not sure on the US price but probably just as low.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Drone posted:

That thing made my Nexus 7 burn like hell.

I can't get it to install on my phone. It keeps erroring out.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Echophonic posted:

Fellow Dragon Ball Z: Doki Doki Panic players: I have no idea if the game actually tells you this, but you can press and hold and it'll show you what the chain you're picking looks like. That is really useful and I just figured it out, so I thought I'd share in case anyone else missed it. Nice for seeing where rainbow orbs are going to change.

I saw that, but did you figure out if you can redirect it at all? Sometimes I'd like a rainbow orb to follow a different trail of colors than it does. I think it defaults to the longest trail it can make.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

mrkillboy posted:

Episode one of Telltale's Game of Thrones is on sale for a measly 10p/0.20AUD/not sure on the US price but probably just as low.

.60usd
Also hinting at "play summer sale"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Why aren't more of you playing resources (or are you)?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ch.pala.resources

The F2P model
As long as you move around you can find enough loot, or buy enough stuff with in game currency to get what you need. You can't even buy loot with in app purchases, you can buy 2 things.. Mine upgrade points, and Diamonds (Instant finish / cash injections) and the prices aren't bad. I've done 1 IAP and will do more with surveybux because the dev deserves to get paid for this cool app.

The game: (lets see how many buzzwords I can put in here) GPS/Geo-location driven Multiplayer Resource Management Trading game with a lemon twist.

Goal1: Build MInes for Resources: Basically you build mines at pockets of the resource (you need to move outside your basement / home to find them)
Goal2: Build Factories to turn those mines into Goods: Factories use 1 or more resources to make goods, which you can sell to other players that need them to upgrade
Goal3: Find loot to build special buildings to make 1&2 easier/better: You get a "loot rain" every level up, and there are plenty of crates on the world map. These are the rare resources that you should keep and not sell unless you have a TON of them.

SubGoal 1: Beat up competition.. be within 220meters (or further as you upgrade your mob building) and you can sabatoge a mine, get some resources and hinder your competition's mines. This doesn't start until you have a bunch of resources becuase building the mob building has some pretty high costs.
I live in an area where not a lot of folks are playing.. this may be more important when you have a super populated area.

The overall point: It's about as much point as adventure capitalist.. or any other game.. get more points, upgrade, and then do it all again.

If you want help let me know.. I'm in game as tatersaladSA I"ll see if I can toss you some resources.

some tips:
when you can always sell on black market, you'll get better prices.

Look at the black market to see what's worth selling / putting effort into. There's some goods like Steel that sells for 20/unit more than it costs to buy the resources. (Coal & Iron). I have very low production for bot buy buy up as much as I can

Plan your next upgrade. If you need 1000 steel to make your next special building, make sure you are hoarding some. Often you can mine something before you can process it (next level) so plant your mine first, so you can get the material while you wait to process.

Upgrade your technology building first, getting better scan definition / larger area is huge for being able to know where to plop mines.

When starting spending .99 on 100 tech upgrades is a big help.. because your scanner is crappy you may plant something that gets you a 50%quality mine.. you can upgrade it with maybe 5/10 tech points and now it's a 90% quality mine.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jul 21, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

tater_salad posted:

The F2P model
As long as you move around you can find enough loot, or buy enough stuff with in game currency to get what you need. You can't even buy loot with in app purchases, you can buy 2 things.. Mine upgrade points, and Diamonds (Instant finish / cash injections) and the prices aren't bad. I've done 1 IAP and will do more with surveybux because the dev deserves to get paid for this cool app.

The game: (lets see how many buzzwords I can put in here) GPS/Geo-location driven Multiplayer Resource Management Trading game with a lemon twist.

Goal1: Build MInes for Resources: Basically you build mines at pockets of the resource (you need to move outside your basement / home to find them)
Goal2: Build Factories to turn those mines into Goods: Factories use 1 or more resources to make goods, which you can sell to other players that need them to upgrade
Goal3: Find loot to build special buildings to make 1&2 easier/better: You get a "loot rain" every level up, and there are plenty of crates on the world map. These are the rare resources that you should keep and not sell unless you have a TON of them.

SubGoal 1: Beat up competition.. be within 220meters (or further as you upgrade your mob building) and you can sabatoge a mine, get some resources and hinder your competition's mines. This doesn't start until you have a bunch of resources becuase building the mob building has some pretty high costs.
I live in an area where not a lot of folks are playing.. this may be more important when you have a super populated area.

The overall point: It's about as much point as adventure capitalist.. or any other game.. get more points, upgrade, and then do it all again.

If you want help let me know.. I'm in game as tatersaladSA I"ll see if I can toss you some resources.

some tips:
when you can always sell on black market, you'll get better prices.

Look at the black market to see what's worth selling / putting effort into. There's some goods like Steel that sells for 20/unit more than it costs to buy the resources. (Coal & Iron). I have very low production for bot buy buy up as much as I can

Plan your next upgrade. If you need 1000 steel to make your next special building, make sure you are hoarding some. Often you can mine something before you can process it (next level) so plant your mine first, so you can get the material while you wait to process.

Upgrade your technology building first, getting better scan definition / larger area is huge for being able to know where to plop mines.

When starting spending .99 on 100 tech upgrades is a big help.. because your scanner is crappy you may plant something that gets you a 50%quality mine.. you can upgrade it with maybe 5/10 tech points and now it's a 90% quality mine.

Cause I don't have a GPS in my tablet. :colbert:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Deakul posted:

Cause I don't have a GPS in my tablet. :colbert:

well you can use location for Wifi.. but that would be pretty awful beause I'm finding the pockets to be pretty small in scope.

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
You want me to leave my house?

Serious question tho: does it indicate via notification when you're nearby a good mine area? I love going on hikes, but I don't want to stare at my phone the whole time.

waffles beyond waffles fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

tater_salad posted:

We talked ingame (I'm playing as Omnicide) and I have been playing some since. You might get more traction posting in the Ingress thread; yes, they're cell phone games, but the core "get up and go around town IRL" gameplay is a bit far removed from anything else.

I'm still a little on the fence about this particular game - I played a lot of Ingress, and this seems to really be a game about making cement mix running all solo all the time. It's not real intuitive and seems to be all about this tradeskill type production thing which is kind of... eh I don't know.

Lacks the pace and doesn't grab you like Ingress, and doesn't really seem to take advantage of the whole "happens atop the real world" thing well. With Ingress it ties heavily into community and area knowledge, knowing your team and the patterns of the other team - but I'm having trouble seeing any kind of metagame emerging here, with no team structure and little way to keep one or two people from totally dominating an area, loving over any chance for newbies to start? Maybe I'm just not high enough to see the limits yet.

The English in the client isn't very polished and there's definitely not much of a US community yet - looking at the Atlanta map, it seems like there's probably less than ten players in the whole city - whereas it's hard to not find action in any city for Ingress, and you get tons of help as a newbie in a lot of places too.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jul 21, 2015