Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

Drake_263 posted:

heresy lightning claws

Kromlech is going to be coming out with a heresy lightning claw set soon, I believe, and there's always the 40k warp talon claws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
I accidentally melted my Obliterators whilst trying to strip paint from them (don't leave finecast in methylated spirit for more than an hour). I'm not too big fans of the models - they're fiddly to assemble, they have those lovely slots on their feet that need trimming off and I just know I'm going to be forever fixing the drat things whenever a knife or gun barrel falls off. Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative models? I could use termies, but that might confuse people. I've never done converting before, and I don't really want to start down that road until I've gotten better at the basics.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

These might be too nurgly while this is one SRM (I think) used for his Iron Warriors. Seems he's out of the other ones he did.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh God, those are stunning. I always run mine with MoN anyway. Thanks.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Milotic posted:

Oh God, those are stunning. I always run mine with MoN anyway. Thanks.

No problem, Hitech also do 9 variants, but they seem a bit pricey.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

ANAmal.net posted:

You just don't see a lot of people into Clutch once you get outside of Baltimore, let alone across the pond.
The Clutch shows I've been to in NC and CT all have had very, very good turnouts. I think their following is larger than you realize.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

ijyt posted:

No problem, Hitech also do 9 variants, but they seem a bit pricey.

Just ordered 3 of the obliterated by chaos ones and the Lord. Very tempted by the daemon prince. Some of those are far better than the GW versions.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

berzerkmonkey posted:

The Clutch shows I've been to in NC and CT all have had very, very good turnouts. I think their following is larger than you realize.

This pleases me.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
40k goons going to NOVA - never been before, what days should I register for and which 40k event do I need to sign up for to play with you guys/gals?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Milotic posted:

Just ordered 3 of the obliterated by chaos ones and the Lord. Very tempted by the daemon prince. Some of those are far better than the GW versions.

Sweet, let us know when they arrive - I've been thinking of picking them up myself.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

Hey, I'm considering getting myself some of those Forge World MKV Assault Marines to stand for Vanguard Vets. Thing is, the weapon loadouts I want for them (dual claws for one squad, hammer/axe&shield for the other) would rack me something silly like £200 just getting the close combat weapon kits for them - the set costs twenty pounds and comes with just one hammer and one pair of claws (and a whole host of other bits, which is cool but less than useful for me). I figured I could get some Anvil Industry shields and axes for the sword-and-board squad - I like the no-nonsense spartan-style round shields - but I'm having less success with locating some lightning claws.

Does anyone know of a good third-party seller who'd sell reasonably priced lightning claw analogues for both hands? Ideally I'd be looking for the old Heresy-era style claws with the fingers elongated into tearing claws, rather than the modern 'Wolverine claws' type lightning claw.

Edit: I'd also be fine with some type of paired blades - preferably something that'd stand apart from plain ole power swords. (I mean, I could use the shitlot of nemesis falchions I have in my bitz box, but I'd like something more exotic). I like the Scibor egyptian khopesh-style swords but those come at two euros apop and I'd need twenty.

Hell, I'm half tempted to just use all the chainswords that come with the FW kit and fluff those as lightning claws..
The plastic Vanguard kit has four sets each of thunder hammer/shield and dual lightning claws. There's also some other weapons in there. That's probably your best bet if you don't mind having a bunch of fancy pistols, chainswords, and body parts around.

Alternatively, if you're looking for some variety in the lightning claws, the CSM raptor kit has five pairs. One has the blades as weird growths, but the other four would be useable. They're covered in lightning bolts though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Direwolf posted:

40k goons going to NOVA - never been before, what days should I register for and which 40k event do I need to sign up for to play with you guys/gals?

Yeah, the MD crew needs to know this too. Should we create a Goon Meet thread for the event?

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Speaking of tournaments, is anyone going to Iron Halo in Oklahoma this weekend?

I'm going with our local gaming club, the Flying Monkeys.

We are expecting a lot of Demi Companies and Space Marine shenanigans...

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

TheChirurgeon posted:

Yeah, the MD crew needs to know this too. Should we create a Goon Meet thread for the event?

I signed up for the GT and that's it but I figured we could all just meet up and game as we want and grab drinks. If someone wants to set something up though, I'm all in.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Tuxedo Jack posted:

We are expecting a lot of Demi Companies and Space Marine shenanigans...

Are tournaments allowing the free transport silliness?

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Direwolf posted:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Want to play in GT only? Then Friday, Saturday, Sunday.

Thursday is for the entire invitational event and the entire trios event. Thursday also is the first game of the narrative event (narrative is probably the most causual and drunken, but trios are usually quite hammered).

Every day has many hours of Quickenings, which are 1500pt highlander games that are basically mini local rtts. When 8 players sign up they are randomly paired and it's single-elim for cash prize to the winner. We wil have many goons so we could do goon only quickenings, or as MasterSlowPoke has been referring to it, the SRM Cup.

edit: Check the rules on https://www.novaopen.com site for specifics. Some things might force your hand. Like no Super-Heavy/Gargant-Creature LoW in GT at all, but yes in narrative etc.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jul 21, 2015

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Direwolf posted:

TheChirurgeon posted:

Boon posted:

I signed up for the GT and that's it but I figured we could all just meet up and game as we want and grab drinks. If someone wants to set something up though, I'm all in.

MSP and myself are doing the full Narrative track. I think WOM is doing the GT and then the nightly narrative games. I would suggest people play in the narrative campaign as it is bigger games, more fun, and less lovely web lists. You also get breaks in the day and everyone gets pretty wasted for the night games. Also, the pairings are determined by the players, for the most part, so if there's someone you really want to play, then it's a lot easier to play them. There's a whole bunch of NOVA-specific fluff built up around the campaign, which is pretty cool, I think.

However, NOVA is built up around it's GT, so you know it'll be a quality tournament if you're looking for a more competitive atmosphere.

Here's the Schedule for this year: http://www.novaopen.com/wp-content/uploads/NOVA-OPEN-2015-Schedule.pdf

Thursday is probably the best day for the SRM cup, if we're going to do that. The other days get pretty packed. Looking at the schedule, we could have the SRM cup starting at 10 AM on Thursday, and if you're not in the invitational or trios, you probably won't miss any of your scheduled games. If you're a night owl, you can always get in games after stuff has died down, as they leave the tables and everything set up over night. They start clean up super quick after Sunday's over, though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I'm on board for doing an 8-goon Quickening, but Thursday isn't going to work for me. Likely I'll be able to do Saturday, since logistically I'll have to make the trip down from NYC and get a ride with one of the MD goons.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

How well should I expect this list to perform?
Pask in a punisher w/ heavy bolter sponsons
squadroned with
leman russ executioner w/ plasma sponsons

company command squad with 3 plasmaguns in chimera w/ m-laser

40 man blob w/ 3 lascannon HWT attached

40 man blob w/ krak grenades and 7 flamers(1 in each 10-man squad, 3 on the pcs)

2 single leman russ vanquishers in separate squadrons, each with no sponsons and a lascannon on the hull

1 battery of 3 wyverns

2 ministorum priests, attached to each blob respectively.

Total is exactly 1850. I'm not really willing to shave points off unless it's enough to include two vendettas.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I like Vendettas better than Leman Russes for tank hunting so if you were going to shave points that's where I'd start. I think if you downgrade the lascannon teams to autocannon teams you get the rest of the way there but I don't have the book in front of me.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CyberLord XP posted:

Are tournaments allowing the free transport silliness?

It's seriously not a problem.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Ultramega posted:

How well should I expect this list to perform?
Pask in a punisher w/ heavy bolter sponsons
squadroned with
leman russ executioner w/ plasma sponsons

company command squad with 3 plasmaguns in chimera w/ m-laser

40 man blob w/ 3 lascannon HWT attached

40 man blob w/ krak grenades and 7 flamers(1 in each 10-man squad, 3 on the pcs)

2 single leman russ vanquishers in separate squadrons, each with no sponsons and a lascannon on the hull

1 battery of 3 wyverns

2 ministorum priests, attached to each blob respectively.

Total is exactly 1850. I'm not really willing to shave points off unless it's enough to include two vendettas.

You're missing a PCS for the first blob, and the PCSs can't blob together with the regular squads. They need to run around as a useless five man squad and be squishy. That's why I give them flamers and a heavy flamer and put them in a Vendetta. Sometimes I give them parachutes.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I may not be available for that Thursday either. I'll have work commitments that Tuesday and Wednesday that could shift later depending on the weather (literally).

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Well, IA:14 is definitely coming. As per the email I recieved from Forgeworld. They still wont tell me if its mechanicus :tinfoil:

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Squifferific posted:

You're missing a PCS for the first blob, and the PCSs can't blob together with the regular squads. They need to run around as a useless five man squad and be squishy. That's why I give them flamers and a heavy flamer and put them in a Vendetta. Sometimes I give them parachutes.

I didn't list them because I didn't give them any wargear. You seriously can't group them together with a blob? What the gently caress?

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
They dont have the combined squad special rule. Only basic infantry squads have it. I would LOVE if Platoon command and Heavy Weapons teams had that rule.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

WELP. I just reconfigured my list to include two vendettas and replaced the lascannons with autocannon teams. I'm glad I know about not being able to combine them with regular squads now before I actually played a full game with them. I seem to be the only one not really on deck with using wyverns(I just don't want to buy the dumb $50 kit tbh) but after using that little site that calculates wounds etc. the wyvern just blew me away with how many you can force on a squad simply because of the rerolls.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Ultramega posted:

WELP. I just reconfigured my list to include two vendettas and replaced the lascannons with autocannon teams. I'm glad I know about not being able to combine them with regular squads now before I actually played a full game with them. I seem to be the only one not really on deck with using wyverns(I just don't want to buy the dumb $50 kit tbh) but after using that little site that calculates wounds etc. the wyvern just blew me away with how many you can force on a squad simply because of the rerolls.

I've seen Three Wyverns take down a 7 man terminator squad. Granted, the termies rolled quite poorly on saves. Still, I regularly see Wyverns putting out 20+ wounds. Using my nids against them I had a buddy completely wipe out a 20 man termagant squad in one round of shooting with two of them, and that was even with me spreading them out as much as I could. (they had just popped out of a Tyrannocite). Where Wyverns lack is against T6 or higher targets and heavily mechanized lists.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Master Twig posted:

They dont have the combined squad special rule. Only basic infantry squads have it. I would LOVE if Platoon command and Heavy Weapons teams had that rule.

Yeah, PCS squads always seem like the odd little duck by itself. They're either in a jet or manning/hiding behind the quad gun, or being suicidal with flamers and trying to eat a charge. They very very rarely get to give out orders themselves because I either have a CCS or Yarrick doing the yelling, and they can give two better orders per turn. Sometimes I even forget that the PCS can give orders, it comes up so rarely.

Heavy Weapons squads just have "shoot me" written on their foreheads or something :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't want to troll or anything, but... Centurions :psyduck:

What the hell is going on there exactly.

Catching up on stuff I've missed over the years, the first obvious thing was all the giant monstrous thingies on the table, so in the mix I sort of missed out on these new power armored power armor warriors of the emperor.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Most of my lists include a vendetta. PCs squads were practically built for taking 4 flamers and taking a ride in that Vendetta. It's a nice Obsec unit to drop down late game and grab an objective. Even with 4 flamers it's only 50 points. If I'm not running a Vendetta I'll usually just run them bare and keep em back on an objective in cover, going to ground if necessary, barking First Rank Second Rank at the blob squad if need be.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Naramyth posted:

It's seriously not a problem.

People not running full companies? What about that other formation with the assault marines and devs in drop pods?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

victrix posted:

I don't want to troll or anything, but... Centurions :psyduck:

What the hell is going on there exactly.

Catching up on stuff I've missed over the years, the first obvious thing was all the giant monstrous thingies on the table, so in the mix I sort of missed out on these new power armored power armor warriors of the emperor.

Basically someone at GW played Starcraft 2 and thought the Marauders/Firebats looked awesome.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

CyberLord XP posted:

People not running full companies? What about that other formation with the assault marines and devs in drop pods?

They are both strong (skyhammer more so IMO) but it's no worse then what is already in the meta.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The nice thing about tournaments is that armies which take advantage of those free SM transports should get absolutely wrecked in Kill Point missions.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

CyberLord XP posted:

The thing with the free transports means that you're basically forced to take a bunch of stuff that's not 'competetive' - captain, chaplain 30 tactical marines, 10 assault marines, 10 devestators and 15 scouts is 1150 points. 700 points of wargear goes fast, and doesn't leave much room for anything else. It's not a bad list by any means, but it's probably not as good as Skyhammer backing up Gravcents in a pod.

TheChirurgeon posted:

I totally forgot that the Goon Meets forum still existed, I'll work on a thread this week.

MasterSlowPoke fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jul 21, 2015

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

The plastic Vanguard kit has four sets each of thunder hammer/shield and dual lightning claws. There's also some other weapons in there. That's probably your best bet if you don't mind having a bunch of fancy pistols, chainswords, and body parts around.

Alternatively, if you're looking for some variety in the lightning claws, the CSM raptor kit has five pairs. One has the blades as weird growths, but the other four would be useable. They're covered in lightning bolts though.

I'm aware of all the good stuff in Vanguard kits - and have some left over - but iudeally I'd be looking for something that'd fit the MK-V aesthetic a bit more. Older mark stuff than the brand-new kits, you know? Thanks anyhow!

BirdieBedtime posted:

Kromlech is going to be coming out with a heresy lightning claw set soon, I believe, and there's always the 40k warp talon claws.

Thank you, I'll keep an eye out for Kromlech! Was surprised to see they didn't have those already.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Drake_263 posted:

I'm aware of all the good stuff in Vanguard kits - and have some left over - but iudeally I'd be looking for something that'd fit the MK-V aesthetic a bit more. Older mark stuff than the brand-new kits, you know? Thanks anyhow!
Sorry about that. You might want to seriously consider checking out the Warp Talon claws though. They look like an older style with the finger-claws instead of the dumb knuckle duster look. They also don't have anything too chaotic on them and you could file off anything that would look out of place. There's actually only three pairs that would work for regular marines, but the things go for really cheap on ebay. No one wants Warp Talons. Seriously, I just found all five pairs going for $1.50.

I can't help you with the thunder hammers. :v:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

So here's what I'm looking to start building for an ~1,850 Death Guard/CSM army. Thoughts?

I haven't played in a really long time and some choices might be absolutely stupid, so please forgive me.

+++ New Roster (1781pts) +++

++ Chaos Space Marines: Codex (2012) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1781pts) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Force Options (Supplement options here) [No unique force (Vanilla CSM Codex)]

+ HQ (377pts) +

Chaos Lord (207pts) [Blight grenades (5pts), Mark of Nurgle (15pts), Sigil of corruption (25pts), Terminator Armour (40pts), The Black Mace (45pts), Veterans of the Long War (5pts), Warlord]
····Combi-Weapon (7pts) [Combi-melta]

Sorcerer (170pts) [2x Additional Mastery Level (50pts), Plasma Pistol (15pts), Power Armour, Sigil of corruption (25pts), Spell familiar (15pts), Veterans of the Long War (5pts)]
····Force Weapon [Force Stave]

+ Elites (408pts) +

Chaos Terminators (273pts) [Mark of Nurgle (30pts), Veterans of the Long War (15pts)]
····Terminator (43pts) [Chainfist (12pts), Combi-Bolter]
····Terminator (36pts)
········Combi weapon (5pts) [Combi-plasma]
········Power Weapon [Power Sword]
····Terminator Champion (50pts) [Powerfist (10pts)]
········Combi-Weapon (7pts) [Combi-melta]
····Terminator with Heavy Weapon (56pts) [Reaper Autocannon (25pts)]

Helbrute (135pts) [Power scourge (10pts), Twin-linked lascannon (25pts)]

+ Troops (826pts) +

Plague Marines (Troops) (282pts) [Veteran of the long war (7pts)]
····Chaos Rhino (67pts) [Combi-bolter, Destroyer blades (15pts), Dirge caster (5pts), Havoc Launcher (12pts), Searchlight, Smoke launchers]
····Plague Champion (49pts) [Blight Grenades, Boltgun, Krak Grenades, Plague Knife, Power Fist (25pts)]
····5x Plague Marine (120pts) [5x Blight Grenades, 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Boltgun, 5x Krak Grenades, 5x Plague knife]
····Plague Marine with Special weapon (39pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague knife]
········Plasma Gun (15pts) [Bolt pistol]

····Chaos Rhino (67pts) [Combi-bolter, Destroyer blades (15pts), Dirge caster (5pts), Havoc Launcher (12pts), Searchlight, Smoke launchers]
····Plague Champion (54pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague Knife, Plasma Pistol (15pts)]
········Power Weapon (15pts) [Power Sword]
····5x Plague Marine (120pts) [5x Blight Grenades, 5x Bolt pistol, 5x Boltgun, 5x Krak Grenades, 5x Plague knife]
····Plague Marine with Special weapon (34pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague knife]
········Meltagun (10pts) [Bolt pistol]

Plague Marines (Troops) (262pts) [Veteran of the long war (7pts)]
····Plague Champion (39pts) [Blight Grenades, Boltgun, Krak Grenades, Plague Knife]
····Plague Marine with Special weapon (29pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague knife]
········Flamer (5pts) [Bolt pistol]

+ Fast Attack (170pts) +

Heldrake (170pts) [Baleflamer]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

DrPop posted:

So here's what I'm looking to start building for an ~1,850 Death Guard/CSM army. Thoughts?

I haven't played in a really long time and some choices might be absolutely stupid, so please forgive me.

+++ New Roster (1781pts) +++

++ Chaos Space Marines: Codex (2012) (Combined Arms Detachment) (1781pts) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Force Options (Supplement options here) [No unique force (Vanilla CSM Codex)]

+ HQ (377pts) +

Chaos Lord (207pts) [Blight grenades (5pts), Mark of Nurgle (15pts), Sigil of corruption (25pts), Terminator Armour (40pts), The Black Mace (45pts), Veterans of the Long War (5pts), Warlord]
····Combi-Weapon (7pts) [Combi-melta]

Sorcerer (170pts) [2x Additional Mastery Level (50pts), Plasma Pistol (15pts), Power Armour, Sigil of corruption (25pts), Spell familiar (15pts), Veterans of the Long War (5pts)]
····Force Weapon [Force Stave]

+ Elites (408pts) +

Chaos Terminators (273pts) [Mark of Nurgle (30pts), Veterans of the Long War (15pts)]
····Terminator (36pts)
········Combi weapon (5pts) [Combi-plasma]
····Terminator Champion (50pts) [Powerfist (10pts)]
········Combi-Weapon (7pts) [Combi-melta]
····Terminator with Heavy Weapon (56pts) [Reaper Autocannon (25pts)]

Helbrute (135pts) [Power scourge (10pts), Twin-linked lascannon (25pts)]

+ Troops (826pts) +

····Plague Champion (49pts) [Blight Grenades, Boltgun, Krak Grenades, Plague Knife, Power Fist (25pts)]
····Plague Marine with Special weapon (39pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague knife]
········Plasma Gun (15pts) [Bolt pistol]

····Plague Champion (54pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague Knife, Plasma Pistol (15pts)]
····Plague Marine with Special weapon (34pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague knife]
········Meltagun (10pts) [Bolt pistol]

Plague Marines (Troops) (262pts) [Veteran of the long war (7pts)]
····Plague Champion (39pts) [Blight Grenades, Boltgun, Krak Grenades, Plague Knife]
····Plague Marine with Special weapon (29pts) [Blight Grenades, Krak Grenades, Plague knife]
········Flamer (5pts) [Bolt pistol]

+ Fast Attack (170pts) +

Heldrake (170pts) [Baleflamer]

I'm not a hyper competitive player - my own CSM is Khorne and hasn't won a game since 4th - but the main thing I see is your force is really, really small. 28 models, 3 rhinos and a Heldrake - Nurgle is tough but a couple of plasma shots and you lose half your army. Number of questions -
1. How do the Terminators engage? No land raider means they're walking or deep striking, and if they deep strike how will you be close enough to engage but far enough to not scatter dangerously?
2. Why Veterans of the Long War? Unless you only ever play against Space Marines your fearless plague marines / chaos lord don't need the LD boost.
3. Terminator Armor gives 5+ invul to lord, why also the Sigil of Corruption?
4. Rhinos cost base 35 points. Your upgrades double their cost. You could be taking twice as many rhinos, technically, why all the upgrades?
5. I'd go with Power Axes on the Nurgle Champs. They're tough enough to survive to strike with it.
6. Why the power scourge on the Helbrute?
7. How do you kill vehicles? Meltagun, 1 combi melta, 1 lascannon on an AV 12.

It looks like you might have a model gap and are trying to fill it with upgrade points, but a lot of the upgrades will really do nothing for you. Sigil is 25, VOTLW on all is 46, power scourge is 10, Rhino upgrades are 96, with the remaining free points out of 1850 you could get another Plague Marine squad in there for that.

I'd take a step back and think bigger picture about what the army is going to accomplish, and then how it'll get there. Nurgle is tough but if you can't kill anything you can't win, and if you can't get into CC with the terminators or get your meltaguns close enough you can't kill anything. What other models do you have to use?

• Locked thread